Pavitra Rishta

India-Forums

Pavitra Rishta
Pavitra Rishta

PR Today: Arjun-Purvi-DK: Varying shades of love (Page 11)

jdronamraju Goldie
jdronamraju
jdronamraju

Posted: 20 July 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged
Shyamala,
 I noticed that quite a few on the forum today were going into raptures at Soham's looks, and I was thinking, "am I the odd one out that I dont feel the same"..I am glad that some of us of think alike :)...

It is a fact that none in PR (well this holds true for movies too) have a strong voice like AB who can really send shivers down your spine with his rich baritone, including Arjun, ofcourse. But, the difference between Arjun and Soham, is that in a low modulation or even medium one, Rithvik's voice can cause magic, more so maybe because of the emotion he puts into it. In fact, Manav has a good enough voice control too.. He doesnt sound shrill when he talks loud or angry and is quite effective in portraying emotions. But, I think with this new guy (I forgot his actual name :(..), his voice is his weaker point. To give him the benefit of doubt, let us see in future. But, as of today...not impressed.

You are right..The south Indian accent in Hindi films is just so fake and their portrayal always  seems like a mockery than an imitation. Even today, they still persist on showing it that way. Being a south indian myself, I find that very annoying and unforgiving.

I am not sure how in god's earth are they going to show Armaan accepting Soham or even if they do, how can that fact be digested by us? It is not that he made a mistake once, he is a criminal, who works against the law. How are they ever going to be able to show him included in the family
ever? I do not see a happy ending for Armaan in this. More, is  the pity.

Anyway, let us sit back and watch the drama unfold. I am sure we will not be in this state of relaxation come next week, when our dear ARVI get into trouble.

Here is to a weekend of ARVI re-runs...Enjoy everyone ...Big smile

Originally posted by sashashyam

Dear Jyoti,

I agree with you about the cutesy bit; Vishnu/Soham looks like the kind of chap who, if he was cleaned up and dressed to match, would fit right into the teenage flicks meant for the old Saturday matinees, strutting around in torn jeans with a girl on each arm and a fast car in the background. It is not a strong face by any means, and his smile is also self-consciously cute.

As for his dancing, that is typical  tapori stuff, and the song, even if it is, as Ash says, from Ekta's latest film, is really  a remix  (with perhaps some new lines added), of an old song from a Prakash Jha movie, perhaps Gangaajal, danced to by Shilpa Shetty in a very popular item number "Main aayi hoon UP Bihar lootne!"

I also agree  that the boy has no voice control. The problem partly is that he is straining to get the very marked Bihari accent right; he might sound much better, as you feel too,  if he were to speak normally. Even there, his voice would be commonplace, but then no one in PR,not  even Arjun or Purvi,has the kind of voice that mesmerises you with its rich cadences. Amitabh Bachchan's kind of voice is rarely found in TV. As for his acting, there has been nothing in that line called for as yet; it has all been loud posturing so far, and anyone could do it.

The Bihari accent,   as well as the dialect used, are in any case almost like a caricature of the way Biharis speak, even in the villages. Prakash  Jha understands his native Bihar as few others so,  and practically all his films are situated in contemporary rural Bihar and at times in the feudal Bihar of the old days, but I have never heard any of his characters speak such a broad dialect. It seems rather to be the PR CVs' idea of how Biharis would speak, and is as far from the real thing as the awful fake Tamil accented Hindi of Tamil characters in the films of 40 years ago.

The very sad thing is that Soham, who was so lovely a child, so quiet and pliable as to be almost passive, has been morphed into this tapori gangster, who is so amoral that he enjoys his dhanda,  and is only sorry about that Rashid who got away. I really do not see how he is to be redeemed and whitewashed, even  given that the PR CVs are by definition logic  ke dushman. If he is ever caught, and if even one of the kidnappings is proven against him (and the small fry in his 'father''s gang, who resent him so deeply, would be first to turn State's witness against him) there is no way he can avoid a minimum of 10 years in jail. What a fall for poor little Soham,and what have Archana -with her stupid and self-righteous do-gooding, in overt disregard of Manav's fears and his objections, about which she is not sorry even now - and the mentally unbalanced Varsha, done to him! How is he to be brought back to a normal life at all?

I don't think that when the truth is eventually brought home to Vishnu/Soham,  he will hate his biological parents for what happened to him, and mourn all the lost opportunities and the good life that might have been his. He is far more likely to not acknowledge them as his parents at all, I feel, nor will he ever move away from his gangster 'father' and his mayee. The truth, as today's episode makes crystal clear, is that he is completely at  home in his slovenly rural setting - see the way he touches a handful of "Bihar ki mitti' to his forehead, before luxuriating in his favourite paan. He likes sitting on the charpai  and eating his mayee ke haath ka simple rural food, he likes horsing around with his village chamchas,  and he loves  his mayee and has a great deal of affection for , and is in awe of his 'father'.

Plus he likes his 'father''s dhanda. I wonder if he would baulk at murder, or if he would take that too in his stride. In any case, crime of this kind is a one way street, there is neither any going back, nor can the recruit  limit the extent of the criminality involved or stop short of murder. He is also young enough and devil may care enough never to worry about something going so wrong that he is caught in the toils of the police. 

But that is bound to happen one day or the other, perhaps straight away with the kidnapping of Manav (?). If they spirit him away to Bihar, and he meets Varsha, then all will come out at one go. Not if it is Ovi or Purvi who is kidnapped, for neither might recognise Varsha.  Ovi has seen her only once, and that too  briefly,  in that photo with Soham before Savita tears it up.   Purvi  might never have seen any photo of hers, given Sulochana's edict against mentioning her name in their house.

See what Varsha has done to herself as well! Satish to usko palkon pe bithata tha ( he used to cherish her like the apple of his eye), but she never appreciated him as he deserved, nor did she value his love as it deserved to be valued. She had a near luxurious upper class existence, but she led her in laws and her husband a merry dance.

Now, as if to pay for her past sins, she has, for the past 18-19 years, been immured in a countryside tabela, complete with a cow in the courtyard and buffaloes being scrubbed down in front of the house. It is clear that she has married the gang chief , and he keeps her firmly in her place -  see the way in which she has to jump to attention as soon as he appears and cover her head with her pallav - , and will not brook the slightest disobedience to his orders, or any interference in his dhanda. She has now become a prototype, subservient village housewife, Jhumri, from head to toe.

She evidently has a good idea of the dhanda, but her objections to her beloved son getting involved with it seems proforma rather than due to any deeply felt moral opposition to this kind of crime.  She no longer seems to be suffering from any of the hysterical fits she used to get so often and   drive the unfortunate Satish round the bend; in any case, if she were to indulge in any such displays now, her present husband would make short work of them. Plus her memory of things past is as fresh as ever, and though she is thus terrified of her son going to Mumbai and perhaps running into his family, she does not dare to voice this opposition in front of her husband.

All in all, if it were not for the tragedy of Soham having been morphed into Vishnu, I would applaud what has happened to Varsha as a case of jaisi karni waisi bharni (as you sow, so shall  you reap).

As for the sketch, I dare say Arjun caught a very brief front face look at Vishnu when he was pushing him to one side in the ticket queue. Not that it cannot be covered under the rubric of a plot device as well, or of cinematic licence (or the TV equivalent thereof).

Now let us all get set for Janmashtami and the great kidnapping!

Shyamala

Edited by jdronamraju - 20 July 2012 at 2:48pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

abhimgAxiompurethoughtFireLordPhoenix

soapwatcher1 IF-Rockerz
soapwatcher1
soapwatcher1

Posted: 20 July 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sashashyam

Janhvi,

How lovely to have you back, my dear!! I hope you had a very nice time in India, but now you had better get back on the PR treadmill.

I am sure you loved my latest, after all, there are such nice things in it about your ladli! And Arjun too, of course, how could you overlook your damaad?

I can tell you what you would enjoy as much, if not even more. Last week, I wrote as many as 4 posts (poor forumites!) on July 9,10,11 and 12: called A Contrary take on Purvi; Purvi & DK: Honours Even; Pot Pourri and finally Purvi's Progress. Do make time for them, for obvious reasons!

Your girl has progressed from the caterpillar stage directly to the butterfly stage, sidestepping the chrysalis, and nowadays, she is a delight to watch. Both for her performances, as also for the 2 new outfits she has landed this week, in very refreshing colours, I must say!

Shyamala

Originally posted by soapwatcher1

Loved your post, Shyamala! A flow of sheer, undulatingpoetry, I allowed the context to get lostas I indulged myself in the unleashing of warm words and magical conjurations!! Thanks for the delicioustreat, I havebecome a glutton for your beautiful writing!   
Loved Arjun and Purvi, my damaad has indeed undergone a total transformation, he is a cutie! And as for my ladli, what can I say? She becomes more pyaari by the minute!! Big smile

Dear Shyamala, had a lovely time in India, how could I not? The warmth and the colors of my birth country envelop me with so much apnaapan every visit that I relish, cherish and relive every moment when I get back home to sunny CA. So glad my ladli has been given two new outfits or else I would have felt horribly guilty at the shopping I did back home in India sans her. Plan to catch up on all your posts and missed shows this weekend. Fun times as I raid my stash of paal kova. Bliss! I had a silly grin on my face as I read the praise you have been bestowing on my Purvi!! :)

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

vgiriabhimgjdronamrajupurethoughtFireLordPhoenixAshlaikasashashyam

soapwatcher1 IF-Rockerz
soapwatcher1
soapwatcher1

Posted: 20 July 2012 at 6:59pm | IP Logged
Jyothi, how have you been, girl? I see Jai has returned as well :) will get cracking - watching the back episodes and catching up on the forum posts. Wink

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

abhimgjdronamrajupurethoughtJaishankarFireLordPhoenix

jdronamraju Goldie
jdronamraju
jdronamraju

Posted: 20 July 2012 at 8:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by soapwatcher1

Jyothi, how have you been, girl? I see Jai has returned as well :) will get cracking - watching the back episodes and catching up on the forum posts. Wink

Doing good !! As u can see, we have been busy for the past 2 weeks !! It was mysore pak before and now pal kova :) I am jealous .. I luv sweets..
Have fun catching up and let us know what u thought ! ttyl

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

purethoughtsoapwatcher1

soapwatcher1 IF-Rockerz
soapwatcher1
soapwatcher1

Posted: 21 July 2012 at 1:14am | IP Logged
Jyothi, brought a whole bunch of doodh peda, come on over and I will share :)

Watched Vishnu/Soham, he looks okay, I would even call him cute but you are right, something about his voice, maybe the accent, doesn't quite sit right. He might begin to grow on usWink I liked the fact that he likes his "mother" a lot though not the wicked "mother" herself. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

purethought

jdronamraju Goldie
jdronamraju
jdronamraju

Posted: 21 July 2012 at 8:27am | IP Logged
It is a long way from texas, my dear. !! Actually, I was in in Cal for a weekend in june for a family event !! Enjoy the sweets, thebest ones are from Apna desh, always :)
Let us see how this soham guy pans out. It would have suited him much better if he was in an urban role, with his looks. Maybe he will surprise us, who knows !! But, still a no-no to cute guys as far as matters of heart go :) i can appreciate him as an actor definitely if he turns out good.

Ashlaika

mandy321 Groupbie
mandy321
mandy321

Posted: 21 July 2012 at 3:23pm | IP Logged

Dear Shyamala,

Like what you said I now realize how I have got myself chained to this idiotic serial just because of a boy with a Chesire cat  grin and a girl with a fine boned, elegant face. It is like being on a treadmill and unable to get off- this is exactly what I was thinking. There is one show I am following Phir Subhah hogi and that also while waiting for this one to come I accidentally watched PR ,before that I never knew PR existed.Has it not been because of Arjun & Purvi. I would have never watched PR.

I have been tolerating PR for quite some time.I know to expect logic,reason,good story scripts with a great dose of entertainment are a distant dream for Indian Television.Sometime it is beyond my comprehension how the writer could come up with characters like all the Deshmukh's family and Karanjakars esp Archana . I don't know from what mitti she is made of . To me she seems like to be drowned in her ocean of tears,shrieking,yelling,howling,screeching,wailing and what not.After 3 years of working in PR I think Ankita has done her PHD in this yelping business. I expected more of her as I heard she has won many awards and the show has been running for the past 3 years. By the length and breadth of how she is doing this business, glycerine might be out of stock in Maharashtra.

The great Manav factor : first of all I don't know much about him and nor do I desire or will try to know him.  But as far as I know he seems to be quite comfortable staying under his AAI's pallu.

Ovi,Teju they have Archana genes in one department only –in the department of Scream part 1,2,3 … some of the best  character trait or nature of Manav & Archana are no where to be seen. They are almost like straight from the Species movie.

Savita is a long repetitive nightmare.

The way Soham's track is coming up – it is like adding salt to the injury. First ,they are like giving crumbs to ARVI fans.By giving us some glimpses of ARVI thodi yaha waha like an illusion. Ekta Kapoor ki maya hi maya mode pe jaane parega. And then now she is dragging us all over India.I really don't know why she needs to transport us to Bihar. May be her latest obsession is Bihar as in one of her songs says UP,Bihar lootne.Still I couldn't crack my mind why she needs to Bihar loot na in PR track.Why does she need a lot of nautanki,over dramatization of character to unfold a sequence of the story?PR is like now a very badkhidchidi the only saving grace is ARJUN,PURVI,D.K,Sulochana.They justify their roles – I do like Archana & Manav's acting skills but many times they are very insipid and repetitive. Archana and Manav have good talents I wish they could use it to their full potential.

Arjun & Purvi I need not share anything as you have written at great length and breath about them and I echo the same feelings,thoughts.Both of them are my top list favorite.I know I sound very negative here and sometimes I hate myself wasting my time in watching a mindless soap like PR but then ARJUN & PURVI are like drug,once addicted we need a very good rehab to recover

For you my dear Shyamala,I have fallen in love with your writing,analytical skills and I am so surprised to have met you here.I like your writing more than Chetan Bhagat. It's true I know you might think I am exaggerating. But if you have read his novels then you would agree with me.I don't know what you do and what your future plan about your skills.But you know you can bring a lot of joy to many people using your skill.

I really love one of the quote you have mentioned for Ovi's antidote for her delusion and obsession about Arjun - 'Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God.'I was reminded of the words of the ancient Greek poet and dramatist, Aeschylus, which were quoted by Robert Kennedy, on April 4, 1968,  in his eulogy at the funeral of the assassinated Dr.Martin Luther King.

That was such an amazing quote perfectly fitted for Ovi's sickness. More than PR ,now I look forward to reading your golden words:) but then without PR there is no basis of our interaction. At least I am grateful to PR because of them I have discovered a writing talent like you and as well our beloved ARJUN & PURVI:)

Blessed Sunday:) Rithvik tweeted Ramandan Mubarak everyone  and enjoy more arvi scenes are upcoming to watch.

Jaishankar IF-Dazzler
Jaishankar
Jaishankar

Posted: 21 July 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged
Hi Janhvi dear,

Nice to see hear from you as well..Yeah re had a good trip back in India..Damn I missing my parents n India already so much...Hope you are also doing good..
Shymala dear wonderful analysis as usual..I love ur lucid style of writing n enjoying reading your posts.Even though most of the time we agree to disagree but I love ur posts and analysis dear Smile
Hi Jyothi thanks for your reply too. Had a nice discussion..Well as far as Arman goes ,even we are pissed as why their characterization is changed after leap. Hence you see very few Arman fans still sticking around as many have given up on thanks to the dumb heads CV's and the crap they have ditched out.Old Arman storyline was a fresh n wonderful simple love story that captivated many but current Arman storyline is unrecognizable for many of us and we watch it for the sake of our favorites in the show. Unfortunately gone are the days in PR when folks used to watch to find out whats going to happen next.But its always nice to have some good discussion with all our dears here.Smile
Coming back to the show,well I am just hooked with this show for the Soham track to find out whether at last CV's think in their mind to give closure to the core storyline of PR - Arman story-track along with the very reason the 18 year old leap took place - Soham..These 2 long lasting half baked tracks seem never ending and I just hope the current Soham track brings closure to it.
The only good thing Ekta did was choose a good looking guy as Arman's son.At least that she did well.How Aniket's role turns out will be seen in future episodes.Heard lot about him,he is a good actor and he has his own fan base,so he must be good.Hope CVs do some justice to his role.Aniket is a good dancer too.I hope he gets chance to showcase his acting skills.
I am not sure how will Arman - Soham confrontation come up or what will be the end result but I sure hope that the confrontation happens which is very much needed to get closure for the long lasting track which has left a sour taste on my PR/Arman fans including me.I do hope they end mechanic Arjun avataar soon and allow the poor chap to focus back on his work. He is a MBA and I hope the CV's do some justice for his MBA degree. For once at least let CV's give importance to value of education.I hope they do this and also allow Purvi to get back to her work too. Let at least one pair be shown successful in career too.I hope CV's think for once in their life.
I see quite few Arman bashing which is understandable (infact we Arman fans ourself have been hitting them hard for the crappy storylines given to them by CV's) but I dont understand what is the actors fault in all this.They are doing their job given to them .When Arvi storylines were not good in the middle no body bashed Asha or RD ,then why bashing is directed towards Anki here. I am sorry to be a bit rude but I wonder what can Anki do when its idiotic CV's fault for making her a glycerin queen.
CV;s are the one who need to be on the firing line for the crappy storylines. Its not easy to portray a role of a mother of 5 children who are almost your age in real life. She has been doing a wonderful job and hence even now she is getting awards for her role. In the crap ditched out she is holding her front and giving her best shot. I beleive no body gives awards for being a glycerin queen.Its the performance that counts and her numerous awards n recognition both national n international(has won international award as well) indicates that she has talent for which is she is being recognized. She deserves all the appreciation n laurels coming her way and all her fans respect that.Its a different fact that she needs to move on soon . I dont think a young Aaji role will suit her nor Ekta plans to show her in that role.
She is not a relative of Ekta to have her say here ,she is just the main lead of the show. She has to follow what she is told and for her hardwork n dedication she has won numerous awards for PR and is one of the reasons why PR was no 1 for so long over the past 3 years.
I request many not to bash actors its not only Anki but even Hiten or Priya (Varsha) ,Asha or RD or anyone as they are mere pawns in the hands of CV's n Ekta. Sorry for the post if I hurt anyone here.

Edited by Jaishankar - 21 July 2012 at 4:18pm

Ashlaika

Go to top