India-Forums

Pavitra Rishta
Pavitra Rishta

PR Today: Arjun-Purvi-DK: Varying shades of love

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 12:46pm | IP Logged

There was nothing of substance in PR today, in terms of forward movement in the plot, that  had not been predicted by the astute members of the forum. Such as that when Teju takes the photo of Soham, with Archana and Varsha, to Savita seeking an explanation, she would recount the whole story in such a way as to maximize Archana's guilt in Soham's presumed death by drowning (not that this would need too much of an effort, seeing that it was Archana's folly in trusting Varsha with Soham, disregarding Manav's explicit warning, that led directly to the tragedy). In fact Savita goes one further, and blames Archana for having wanted to give Soham away in adoption to Varsha, whereas it was Manav's idea at that point of time. But all this is par for the course, and one  watches it with weary resignation.

And as for  the supposedly comical  interlude between a heavily limping Savita and Archana, who helps her despite Savita's protests,  it is far from funny; it is merely a crashing bore.

Yet PR today was made luminous by the reflected glow of love in its varying shades: the enchantment of romantic love, and the warmth of  the affection between a father and his son.

Arjun-Purvi:The first, of course, was  from one of the most endearing love scenes between Arjun and Purvi seen so far. A scene that was not passionate, not despairing, not even marked by the high romantic, and yet so spangled with fairy dust that it transformed Arjun's bare, dingy little room and lit it with the luminosity of a thousand candles. When one watches the two of them in such a scene, so effortlessly natural and so imbued with a sense of belonging together, and this without coquetry or nakhras on her side, and without any overt displays of affection on his, one realizes how very special these young people are. Their craft is, individually, of a high order, but they do not compete with each other in an attempt to steal the scene. Rather, they instinctively enhance each other's performance, and their obvious charisma is both unselfconscious and overlaid with an unaffected normalcy. It is indeed a rare treat to see them in peak form, as they were today.

Purvi is in the same, blessedly new, blue grey outfit she wore when she was bandaging Arjun's hurt arm. She has, by now, obviously and completely shed her earlier inhibitions about meeting him and going against her aai's dictates. She is counting his savings in the biscuit jar with the mismatched lid, and she asks him: Is this all that you have been able to save? He explains that these are all the tips he was given, ranging from Rs.50/- to Rs.5/-, and even this munificent one -  and here he holds up a one or two rupee coin,  with the most comical twist of his mouth and his eyebrows. He is getting to be a regular mime artist, is our Arjun!

Purvi smiles in tune with his self-mocking mood, but her brow furrows in anxiety, which she voices at once: Janmashtami is so near, with her mother's deadline, and where will they get the rest of the money from? Arjun assures her that they will, whether he has to do overtime or whatever. He clasps both her hands in his and kisses them alternately in his continental style, quirking his brows at her to coax her out of her fleeting depression and make her laugh. It is a gesture more caring and tender than a close embrace, and it works. Purvi perks up, and remembers the food she has brought for him, which he insists that he needs AT ONCE, as he is dying of hunger and has to get to work.

One has seen this scene of lovebirds eating together and feeding each other ever so often. But one has only to watch Arjun and Purvi in action, sitting on that durree, to  realize  that even such a hoary old chestnut of  a stock scene can be freshened up so sharply that it seems new minted. The eagerness in her eyes as she asks him how it (the food) is, and the delight that lights them up when he indicates that it is perfect. Her mock anger when he pretends to feed her and then, in the last minute, pops the morsel into his own mouth. The gentle affection with which he watches her through the wooden lattice as she squats on the floor and washes up the vessels. The very curious expression on his face as he reaches the end of the lattice and stands there, looking down at her. Is it gratitude for the love and care she lavishes on him? Is it regret that she has to do all this? Is it unstated and quiet joy at her just being there with him? One does not know. All that one knows is that his look speaks volumes, and how does it matter if we do not understand its language?

Then a delightful little vignette,  as she hands him the clean plate, and then calls him back again and again, with mock contrition at doing so, and piles yet another  vessel on to  it. With each addition, his expression changes ever so slightly, though it is as inscrutable as ever. Finally, as she finishes, he pretends to be bending under the load. It is so charming and so totally a domestic  interlude, that as it ends, one has to remind oneself that this is not a newly married couple, but just our Arjun and Purvi playing at keeping (a very frugal) house.

Arjun-DK: The other scene that warms the cockles of one's heart is the one between Arjun and DK, when Arjun goes home to seek his father's help to save Farooq's garage from being shut down,  as he cannot raise the funds needed for the renewal of the lease on the property. The tone is set from the first frame: DK rushes down the stairs with a speed that is as unprecedented as it is totally at odds with his restrained persona. Nothing could have better revealed the depth of his (unstated) anxiety about his son's well being, and his fear that something might be wrong with him.  

Arjun makes out the case for DK to help Farooq, and recounts the warmth and simple goodness of these people whom he has got to know "thanks to Archanaji" -  from Farooq to his employees -  who now constitute his 'family', a family that he does not want to see broken up. As he does so, his face is a study in shifting emotions, and the candour and sincerity he projects are intensely moving. DK watches his son, now so wrapped up in the woes of others, with an unwavering gaze that is both empathetic and almost incredulous. His response to the plea from this newly minted son, one of unquestioning, total and instant support, says as much about DK himself as about Arjun as he is now. DK does not say it out loud, but he must be inwardly rejoicing with Aashana about Arjun having turned out to be her son after all.

As he comes to the end of his mission, Arjun looks around the warmly lit and quietly opulent room. What is it that he feels? Is it a slight and entirely understandable reluctance to leave all this comfort and return to  his spartan existence in the chawl? We will never know, but even if it was, he shakes it off in an instant and is up on his feet.

As he is leaving, DK calls out his name and approaches him. Arjun does not turn to face his father, and his face reflects reluctance and hesitation, for he knows what is coming. When DK asks whether the Rs.10000/- is yet to be made up, the emotions that struggle with each other as they flit across Arjun's face belong to a master class in emoting. There is an instant of apprehension, followed by hesitation, and then a forced display of confidence that wrings one's heart. 'I will do it', Arjun asserts, half to himself, as his father replies with a reassuring 'You will!".

As he pats his departing son's shoulder, one can feel that DK wants, more than anything else in the world, to hold Arjun back in the safety and comfort of home, and never to let him go. But he permits nothing of this to appear on his face or in his words, for it would burden his son even more. In doing so, he teaches one what  it really is to love a child with both one's heart and one's mind – to let the child go free to follow his own star, but always be there to hold his hand when he seeks it.

It is these interludes, lit up by the glow of love in its varying shades, that lift PR above the usual rut of TV serials. Without them, it would soon be unendurable. Let us hope that we continue to be fed such dollops of ambrosia every now and then, so that we can survive the rest.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

The following 35 member(s) liked the above post:

bumbushiSangam786BadGal_AMZalisa21rekha23jamkarajjfaridakArShi_AbhIyapavrishana-123mandy321aviaanyagmhatchervgiriMi*chi*reshma28abhimgarchverma10aasmaan--Jenelle--ArVi-liciousAxiomInkpen4877jdronamraju*Maleena*purethoughtjkhusibee5Ashi22abjbdishiuwRach.FireLordPhoenix-Latty-Ashlaikaalicia.

jdronamraju Goldie
jdronamraju
jdronamraju

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 1:12pm | IP Logged
You have said it all, Shyamala !! Whatever we say, will pale severely by comparison...You have described every emotion so beautifully, brings tears to my eyes... BRAVO...sincerely...please accept my heartfelt appreciation...Clap..
Arjun's eyes are a masterpiece in action... we have witnessed so many emotions in his eyes today, I am amazed every time at his talent.. He is by far, the most talented youngster I have seen. For me, Everyone else pales by comparison...Purvi is no less.. You are so right, when you say,
they instinctively enhance each other's performance, and their obvious charisma is both unselfconscious and overlaid with an unaffected normalcy. It is indeed a rare treat to see them in peak form, as they were today.
I felt that today was their best romantic scene ever...they seem to belong to each other,and their love shines so beautifully through it all... just awesome !!!! Just loved the way he tries to perk her up...and the way he looks at her.. was too much to take.Big smile...It brings out the lochinvar's in us, to slay any dragons surrounding them !!
DK - Arjun interaction was beautiful and always shows their love, affection and concern towards each other which is a treat to watch. There is no melodrama, overt reactions ...the aura around them itself speaks volumes.. Loved it..
You have described the expression on Arjun's face, when DK asks about the 10K, so well.. You can see his worry, apprehension, and a inner fear of "what if i dont meet it.." and then in true Arjun style, says "i will do it"..DK understands it alll..he can see his son's confidence wavering, so he says "You will"... What else do you expect in a parent...Hats off to him...

BTW, on the flip side, looks like Aai's dikhat is gone to dogs  Big smile...

All in all, dil khush kardiye teeno ne aaj..

The following 14 member(s) liked the above post:

alisa21pavrishArShi_AbhIyaabhimgarchverma10reshma28ArVi-liciouspurethoughtjkhusibee5FireLordPhoenixAshlaikasashashyam_OrChiD_

ArVi-licious Goldie
ArVi-licious
ArVi-licious

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged
In this pretty much stagnant plot, the only saving grace was d arvi n dk arjun scene.. and ofcourse this wonderful analysis of yours shyamalji.. its amazing how u r able to capture every emotion n expression and put them into such beautiful words... arjun n purvi were so simple, sweet n mature.. everything they express without saying anything is such a delight to watch.. DK was good as usual..
Its just shocking how savita is able to weave stories like that.. its high time the truth gets out...
P.S: arjun had bought sum bangles d other day.. did he give them to purvi? Or did I miss sum scene...

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

alisa21pavrishvgiripurethought_OrChiD_

jdronamraju Goldie
jdronamraju
jdronamraju

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 1:17pm | IP Logged
Not yet...probably saving them for a special occasion...:)

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ArVi-licious

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 1:17pm | IP Logged
Thank you, dear Jyoti, there is nothing that perks one up more than genuine appreciation from a friend who  can really get under your skin and feel what you feel. Thanks again.

Shyamala

Originally posted by jdronamraju

You have said it all, Shyamala !! Whatever we say, will pale severely by comparison...You have described every emotion so beautifully, brings tears to my eyes... BRAVO...sincerely...please accept my heartfelt appreciation...Clap..
Arjun's eyes are a masterpiece in action... we have witnessed so many emotions in his eyes today, I am amazed every time at his talent.. He is by far, the most talented youngster I have seen. For me, Everyone else pales by comparison...Purvi is no less.. You are so right, when you say,
they instinctively enhance each other's performance, and their obvious charisma is both unselfconscious and overlaid with an unaffected normalcy. It is indeed a rare treat to see them in peak form, as they were today.
I felt that today was their best romantic scene ever...they seem to belong to each other,and their love shines so beautifully through it all... just awesome !!!! Just loved the way he tries to perk her up...and the way he looks at her.. was too much to take.Big smile...It brings out the lochinvar's in us, to slay any dragons surrounding them !!
DK - Arjun interaction was beautiful and always shows their love, affection and concern towards each other which is a treat to watch. There is no melodrama, overt reactions ...the aura around them itself speaks volumes.. Loved it..
You have described the expression on Arjun's face, when DK asks about the 10K, so well.. You can see his worry, apprehension, and a inner fear of "what if i dont meet it.." and then in true Arjun style, says "i will do it"..DK understands it alll..he can see his son's confidence wavering, so he says "You will"... What else do you expect in a parent...Hats off to him...

BTW, on the flip side, looks like Aai's dikhat is gone to dogs  Big smile...

All in all, dil khush kardiye teeno ne aaj..

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

abhimgjdronamrajuAxiomAshlaika_OrChiD_

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 1:26pm | IP Logged
Thanks ever so much. I am so glad that you liked this post.

As for the truth about Savita, I doubt it will come out before the penultimate episode, and when it does, please do not be shocked when Archana is first in line to exculpate her saas.

Shyamala

Originally posted by ArVi-licious

In this pretty much stagnant plot, the only saving grace was d arvi n dk arjun scene.. and ofcourse this wonderful analysis of yours shyamalji.. its amazing how u r able to capture every emotion n expression and put them into such beautiful words... arjun n purvi were so simple, sweet n mature.. everything they express without saying anything is such a delight to watch.. DK was good as usual..
Its just shocking how savita is able to weave stories like that.. its high time the truth gets out...
P.S: arjun had bought sum bangles d other day.. did he give them to purvi? Or did I miss sum scene...

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

jamkarajjArVi-liciousAxiomJulieD

Dabulls23 IF-Stunnerz
Dabulls23
Dabulls23

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 2:07pm | IP Logged
Shyamala I did not read your long post as I am no Arjun-Purvi fan or DK fan...I have dropped him off my list...One time I did like him though...As he has no loyalty or conscious  any more Angry  He might be the best father but not a Good person to have rany other elationship with...As he might turn according to the next best thing his son wants..

I read the first part about Savita telling the truth about Soham to Ovi-Teju.

I have some correction to what had happened regarding Soham..This is how I saw it happening..

Savita told the truth and nothing but the truth..Her tears were genuine for losing her grandson and her son Manav's hurt-pain abt the loss of Soham..She did not blame Archana out of a spite or no reason...Archana had fulll part in what happened... 

When Archana found out She was pregnant even the first time, She wanted to give her baby to Varsha..ArMan lost their first baby-misscarriage due to Varsha, Manju, Dharmesh and Rasika..3 out of 4 were related to Archana..Embarrassed

With Soham it was ArMan both who let Varsha be close to Soham as she could not have any children...They pacified a wrong behavior..Boundries were not set as far as who the parents were and Varsha being simply an aunt-Mausi...Archana wanted to even let Varsha adopt Soham at one point...Manav was always against it..

At one point When Archana said She could not take care of Sachin and Soham, Manav agreed to let Varsha adopt...When Adoption was about to be completed Archana refused to give Soham up...Thank god...She used her brain and commonsense...

Archana's love and trust for Varsha was always more than trusting her own husband not to let varsha hold soham lead to Varsha able to run away with soham and jump into river...Varsha had already kidnapped Soham once for few days and she was harmful to anyone let alone a 3 yrs old child..Varsha had already hit her MIL Bhavna and Archana herself...But as Savita said "Bewakoof Archana trusted her sister more than her husband" Beginning of divorce...Marriage was over as far as Manav was concerned...

First the court case and now losing Soham due to Archana's actions Manav decided to take Ovi-Teju away from Archana..He could nto trust her with their children...No father would..He decided to move to Canada by DK's pursuation as there was nothing but hurt left for Manav and he needed to take care of his family...That was the beginning of a shaken marriage ...Rest is history...These are the facts and not selective thoughts..

I know what Savita has done by not giving tickets and handing divorce paper to Archana...That is not the point we are discussing...We are discussing the event how Soahm was given and what happened to him...Manav should have taken those tickets himself..Why did he send them with Savita?

NEone can come between a marriage if it is on a shaken ground..Marriage was put at risk by Archana and Archana herself by not knowing her boundries abt her mayka..Shame when a spouse can't keep balance in their life between their own life and mayka..

Hope I am not offending anyone or raining on your parade...Embarrassed  You dont have to respond to my post as previously you have not...So consider this as my own independent post  to state facts Big smile  I am no way trying to post anything negative...Embarrassed

Edited by Dabulls23 - 18 July 2012 at 6:58pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

cs-07bee5FireLordPhoenixsashashyam

Ashlaika IF-Rockerz
Ashlaika
Ashlaika

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 2:08pm | IP Logged
Hey Miss Shyamala,

Thank you once again for a wonderful post. As usual, you were spot on in your analysis. Like you, I love when we get positivity out of a show (at least that is the impression I get, you enjoy and endorse the positivity).

I love the aforementioned scenes you spoke of. I enjoyed the entire show, but those 2 scenes leave me feeling quite happy.

Just two things I want to add. First, the look of exasperation on Arjun's face when Purvi calls him back that last time for more dishes. It was funny and sweet... like he was saying "Are u done now?" ... at least, that was what i thought.
Secondly, when he bent over, i thought he was curtseying, like bowing down to her as if he was her humble servant. lol. It could have been the load as well Smile.  I guess we will never truly know, different interpretation of the act, but definitely the end result was the same - one truly enjoyable and memorable scene.

p.s. I hope I don't get bash for saying this. But if i do, oh well. Anyway, to my point. No matter what event or scene RD and Asha act as Arjun and Purvi... whether it was recycled or not, I find that RD and Asha bring their own ease, chemistry and uniqueness into the scene and make it their own. Taking it from recycled non-sense to a scene us viewers (old and new, for I am an old viewer)  can enjoy!

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

BadGal_AMZmunny2abhimgArVi-liciousAxiomjdronamrajubee5FireLordPhoenixsashashyam

Go to top