Buddha

The 9th avatar of Lord Vishnu??? (Page 9)

Post Reply New Post

Page 9 of 11

bhas1066

bhas1066

Posted: 26 July 2012 at 1:10am | IP Logged
umm its Bhas1066.

gita press version??? u mean hard copy?? u have one??

Edited by bhas1066 - 26 July 2012 at 1:10am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Debipriya

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The 9th avatar of Lord Vishnu??? (Page 9)" in Buddha forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 26 July 2012 at 1:28am | IP Logged
Originally posted by bhas1066

umm its Bhas1066. 

Sorry about that.Smile

gita press version??? u mean hard copy?? u have one??

Yes, I do. It runs into two volumes. The translations given there are more true to the original thanPrabhupada ji's which, with all due respect to him, lean heavily towards Krishna.

Debipriya

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 26 July 2012 at 1:32am | IP Logged

(11) Sixth, born as the son of Atri from Anasy who prayed for Him, He lectured to Alarka, Prahlda and others about transcendence. 

In this list why isnt Dattatreya included. He is accepted as an avatar of Vishnu right?

I have segregated the required section from your post itself  - which mentions the birth of Dattatreya. So your question is answered. 

Edited by varaali - 26 July 2012 at 1:30am

bhas1066

bhas1066

Posted: 26 July 2012 at 1:59am | IP Logged
First i didnt have any answers so i was like this:
big smiley crying emoticon
Then i started this topic and while i got some answers i got equally good opposite answers!! so i was like:
puzzled smiley      confused face smiley
Then we began going around in circles.

Bash Head animated emoticon

And finally now i am like:

and i realized that "ALL IS MAYA!!!" THE ONE IS ALL AND ALL IS ONE!!!

so PEACE OUT!!!

Edited by bhas1066 - 26 July 2012 at 2:10am

.Vrish.

ShivangBuch

Goldie

ShivangBuch

Posted: 26 July 2012 at 10:28am | IP Logged
Originally posted by varaali

We seem to be going around in circles.
Well I and Vrish and earlier I and Janaki were replying to each other in continuous flow 1-1 points. So it was natural flow of discussion actually with every post to be response to other's post or clarification of own previous post. I never aimed at concluding or expected the conclusion of this thread so early actually so perhaps it seemed that we were going in circles. Actually more clarifications were happening and were ongoing. But anyway I am truly enjoying all these systematic summary posts of yours and Bhas1066.

Presently the question in circulation seems to be twofold :
  • Whether Buddha was an avatar of Vishnu or not
  • If so, does he figure in the top 10, or in the larger group of 22?
Exactly.

Let me try to summarize everybody's arguments:

Vrish 's : objection to Gautama Buddha is that in his search for enlightenment, he abandoned his family / kingdom midway without providing for their future. This act of renunciation / abandonment is not sanctified by scriptures, hence this counts against him. Verdict : Cannot be considered an avatar

Janaki : allows Buddha to be an avatar but in the larger group of 22, not in the Dasha Avatar subsect
Is it so? I thought Janaki is of the firm view till the end that Buddha can be any noble or sage soul like any rishi of our epics but not Vishnu. So not even in 22.

Shivang : Not all the avatars of Vishnu need to have had identical philosophies. Each avatar was distinct / different from each other. Similarly, despite all the arguments marshalled against Gautama, he can be considered an avatar. Verdict : Can be considered an avatar , that too in the top ten.
Yes. I am actually open to count him in either top 10 (no problem for sure) or in 22 (if not in top 10) and my consideration through most of the discussions in the thread has been on the acceptance or belief of 22/24 avatars and often I brought forward names of Kapil, Dattatreya, Rishabhdev, Vyas etc along with those links. And Balram I consider to be incarnation of Vishnu jointly with Krishna like Vrish said if at all we count him in top 10. In 22 avatars, he is clearly separately counted and it doesn't make any difference really over there since it doesn't distort the premise or theory of 4:3:2:1 in that total counting.

Varaali : Now,first of all, I would like to ask who's word do we take as the final authority?  For me, I would like to consider Srimad Bhagavatham / Veda Vyasa  as the guiding source.  And here, there are answers to the questions raised in this thread.

As I said earlier, SB mentions 22 avatars of Vishnu. Let us forget the subsect of Dasha Avatars for a minute and concentrate on the bigger list of 22. In that list, there are avatars as diverse as Kurma (who did nothing but to support the mountain) , King Prithu, Sage Kapila , Mohini and the four Sanat Kumaras.

It is in this list that Buddha is included. Our problem in reconciling with Buddha seems to be the fact that the  tenets that he preached  seem to go against the pillars on which Hinduism stood . My answer to that is this was what he was supposed to do anyway. His birth and his preachings had been predicted at the dawn of Kali Yuga itself. 

Srimad Bhagavtham, Veda Vyasa and Suta Goswami had no problems with accepting the fact that in His next incarnation as Buddha, Vishnu is not going to talk about the Vedas, yagnas, rituals,  etc but will preach on more basic, fundamental  social ethics. 

It is also said in SB itself that such an unique / different avatar will be required because  of the turbulent times the world will be passing through. Scientific knowledge would have advanced so much that men would be shooting invisible rockets / missiles into outer space which will hold a threat of not only destroying life on Earth, but lives(if at all)  on other spheres as well. 

So I am not going to reject Gautama Buddha's claim to avatar hood just because he did not give importance to what is considered sacrosanct in Hinduism. If SB, Vyasa and  Suta have allowed him to be an avatr who am I to question it ?
Perfect.Clap

But that doesn't mean I am going to start celebrating Buddha Jayanti with gusto (except maybe to wish Shivang on his birthday Big smile) . 

LOL Idhar bhi nahi bhule!!!!! Waise let me clarify that this is not the reason why I have no problem in considering him Vishnu avatar. ROFL

@Vrish
It seems that Mohini has really made you totally Mohit.Big smile If Mohini can be included in top 10, why not someone like Dattatreya or Prithu and so on? And if Kurma and Mohini didn't overlap, Dhanvantari and Mohini (And Kurma and Dhanvantari) did overlap as Varaali said. Even Ram-Parshuram and Krishna-Vyas-Balram did overlap and also Parshuram-Vyas-Ram also probably. So Vishnu hasn't necessarily shown that in order to consider one to be a separate avatar, one must start after the other one finishes the job. However, I am also more comfortable in considering Krishna-Balram to be collective avatars like RLBS just like you.

Edited by ShivangBuch - 26 July 2012 at 10:45am

varaali

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 26 July 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged

First i didnt have any answers so i was like this:
big smiley crying emoticon
Then i started this topic and while i got some answers i got equally good opposite answers!! so i was like:
puzzled smiley      confused face smiley
Then we began going around in circles.

Bash Head animated emoticon

And finally now i am like:

and i realized that "ALL IS MAYA!!!" THE ONE IS ALL AND ALL IS ONE!!!

so PEACE OUT!!!

Very cute cartoons. 

As they say,  a picture is worth a thousand words. !!!

ShivangBuch

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 26 July 2012 at 10:37am | IP Logged
- Duplicate post deleted-

Edited by varaali - 26 July 2012 at 10:39am

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 26 July 2012 at 11:12am | IP Logged
Shivang

One reason I don't support the 22 avatar theory is that you have too many clones of Vishnu operating @ the same time.  Incidentally, who was Dhanvantari?

If one goes by the Dasha avatar theory, no 2 avatars of Vishnu were active @ any one time.  Kurma ended and then Mohini started, and so there was no overlap.  As for Rama & Parashurama, I've read 2 theories about that.  One is that when Parashurama accosted Rama after the latter's marriage while they were returning from Mithila to Ayodhya and Rama strung Vishnu's bow as requested, Vishnu's avatar ended in Parashurama and got transferred completely to Rama.  The other one I've read is that when Kashyap ordered Parashurama to stop his massacre of Kshatriyas, that was when his incarnation ended.  If one believes that Rama was born the avatar of Vishnu, then the latter explanation covers how Vishnu's incarnation could have ended in Parashurama & begun w/ Rama.  Yet, another school of thought speculates that Parashurama was not a complete avatar the way any of the others were.

And if RLBS and KB are considered parts of the same avatar, then there is no case of multiple avatars co-existing.  That only becomes the scenario under the 22 avatar case.

One thing that Varaali mentioned above about Buddhism - if his followers have changed the color of his teachings to make it a different religion completely different from Hinduism...  Question - are they the ones 'guilty' of doing it, or was that how it started and was meant to be?  On one hand, in countries like Nepal, Buddhism is virtually indistinguishable from Hinduism, and the respect of Hindu deities is even seen to a lesser extent in Thailand and Cambodia.  Whereas in Tibet, Bhutan, Mongolia, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, the Buddhism that they follow is by no stretch of imagination Hindu.  And like I pointed out, unlike Christianity, which has a place of honor for the Old Testament but rejects Jewish books like the Torah and Talmud, Buddhism doesn't accord any importance to Hindu scriptures at all, be they Vedas or Puranas, and by most modern definitions, would qualify as being a completely different religion from Hinduism just like Sikhism is (the modern definition look @ whether 2 religions respect the same scriptures to determine and define whether one is a derivative or variation of the other)

Of course, if Hindu scriptures predicted that Buddha would come and do what he did, then he would indeed fall under the definition of an avatar.  Then the question we'd have here would be whether the Buddha that was predicted and the one that actually surfaced were one and the same?

Post Reply New Post

Go to top