Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

Shell16

IF-Rockerz

Shell16

Posted: 30 June 2012 at 10:27am | IP Logged
I can't seem to stop thinking about this and had to make this topic.  I promise not make this too long like the last time. 

I can't understand why making Sugni dance the Rai was necessary.  From a story perspective it was about putting Sugni back down.  But she had been adequately humiliated.  Jiji had made her feel as small as possible at the front door.  Then all the taunts from the other thakuran's upped the level of humiliation and the final nail in the coffin, as they say, was the complete and utter humiliation when Jiji asked  her to put the gift in the store room as it didn't belong on the gift table. 

I understand that Vikram negated all that by presenting the gift as theirs!  So something had to be done to bring her down again.  Jiji saying that they had a bedni in their midst and asking her to dance was enough to put her down under the thakur's feet. 

But did she have to actually do the dance?   She said she would never dance for the thakurs.  i know she told Vikram that to her the dance is her devotion to god.  But Vikram understood what was really happening.  I excepted him to really put his foot down when she explained her reason for saying yes.    I would have liked him to say "Sugni, I said you're not dancing and you're not dancing"  instead of waiting to hear all the vile comments and then putting a stop to it.  He knew that would happen and should have stopped it. 

it wasn't like she said I am dancing and right away she started.  There was a delay of time when a lengah had to be found for and she changed her clothes,  Vikram at that point should have talked to her calmly and put a stop to it.   

I know that it was more dramatic for him to hear all the comments and his anger to escalate and finally put a stop to it all.  But from a story perspective and from a character development perspective wouldn't have been better if Vikram had been more controlling, domineering and strong? If he had said "You are not dancing because I said so.  You are mine and you do what I say".  Considering that he is leading a double life, or so the articles are implying, this would have made more sense. 

The dance was like watching a train you know is heading towards a wrench! 

Sorry couldn't stop when I started typing.

Now your turn. 

shelly

The following 15 member(s) liked the above post:

Virashkamala2012Raleighbcat-Swetha-lamscroziaxxromancefan-Srushti-Vinnie79ForeverSHINeetulipdaisyserialwatcher16Laila2009manzilmukulpyar-ishk

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "29Jun12 - Why Rai?" in Phir Subah Hogi forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

JulieD

IF-Dazzler

JulieD

Posted: 30 June 2012 at 10:43am | IP Logged
I agree with you. Her doing the rai dance was definitely a step backwards.

But I remember in  one of the earlier episodes that someone {Sugni I believe} had said that Rai was performed in temples as worship to God before the Thakurs took it over and made it into something cheap and for their selfish reasons. 

So I think if they want to change society's opinion, they would try to change the purpose of Rai dance back to what it was originally meant for.

Well I hope so anyhowSmile

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

Virashwiddykamala2012RaleighbcatromancefandumppurvitulipdaisyShell16pyar-ishk

romancefan

Goldie

romancefan

Posted: 30 June 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged
Great explanation Julie. As Sugni said doing Rai is not sinful. It's the dirty thoughts of the people who leer at the body of the dancer that is sinful.

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

SaviaVirashwiddyRaleighbcatVinnie79tulipdaisyShell16pyar-ishk

tulipdaisy

IF-Rockerz

tulipdaisy

Posted: 30 June 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged

I think sugni was too overwhelmed by the way vikram supported her in front of everyone and when the other thakurs started questioning him she thought this was her only opportunity to do something in return to him and all she knows is Rai so she readily agreed for it though i liked her explanation for doing rai and how that only his presence matters to her.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

VirashwiddyRaleighbcatcupdromancefan

Shell16

IF-Rockerz

Shell16

Posted: 30 June 2012 at 11:07am | IP Logged
Originally posted by JulieD

I agree with you. Her doing the rai dance was definitely a step backwards.

But I remember in  one of the earlier episodes that someone {Sugni I believe} had said that Rai was performed in temples as worship to God before the Thakurs took it over and made it into something cheap and for their selfish reasons. 

So I think if they want to change society's opinion, they would try to change the purpose of Rai dance back to what it was originally meant for.

Well I hope so anyhowSmile

Thanks Julie,  Now that you remind me of that conversation i remember.

i understand her perspective and hopefully that is how they play it.   From the story side I would have like for Vik to put a stop to it. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

widdyJulieD

rani-lucki

IF-Sizzlerz

rani-lucki

Posted: 30 June 2012 at 11:11am | IP Logged
i think the rai dance was necessary (wait before you throw your chappals at me!!!)

vikram now has a chance to take a stand against" rai dance for male entertainment" infront of the whole of his community of thakurs

it will be interesting to see vikrams speech on monday--- i lov this guy onscreen (off screen aswell!!), he just makes the character so real

personally i hav nothing against rai , whether its for the pleasing of Gods or a means of women earning a living :-)

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

SaviaVirashkamala2012RaleighbcatromancefanShell16pyar-ishk

Shell16

IF-Rockerz

Shell16

Posted: 30 June 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ash_arti

I think sugni was too overwhelmed by the way vikram supported her in front of everyone and when the other thakurs started questioning him she thought this was her only opportunity to do something in return to him and all she knows is Rai so she readily agreed for it though i liked her explanation for doing rai and how that only his presence matters to her.

That was a great plot and it showcased her innocence Aarathi, but i wish a more mature and worldly partner Vik had played it differently.  As a viewer  it was painful  to watch what was happening and hence i ask the question was it necessary.  Not convinced yet.

kamala2012

kamala2012

Posted: 30 June 2012 at 11:26am | IP Logged
It was sad to see Sugni somewhat forced to do something she said she would never do, dance in front of thakurs. Her speech I didn't like at all. Not convincing. It's very filmy.

But I think they had to show Sugni do a rai dance in the house where she will later become the thakurain. Vikram's sister will later regret making her brother's wife dance in front of other men. The only person who has been insulted in that rai dance is Vikram's sister, and because of her, her haveli name.

In a way, the scene is also real. It must be very difficult for women like the bedia community to gain respect. So, no matter how many times Sugni says she won't do rai in front of thakurs, she has to be shown to do at least once or more, before she reaches a point where she can put her foot down and say no.

They also showed Gulabiya going for rai dance, even after Vikram assured her he will marry Sugni. Because Gulabiya knows the reality. Till the marriage actually happens, nothing is for sure. Rai is the only way for some bedia women to earn income and they have to continue to do that. Sugni will also understand that till Vikram marries her, her status will not change.

The comments the thakur men made is for the audience, not for Vikram or Sugni. It is to shock us, to hear such things said about women.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

widdyRaleighbcatcupdromancefanShell16pyar-ishk

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.