Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

Poornima - A forgotten Singer???

uknaik99 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
Does any one remmber this talented singer.. I was just listening her song Chane Ke Khet Mein from film Anjaam Music directed by Anand Milind (where are they??? I love that song... was thinking what happened to her???

Pls post your comments and details about her if you hv any

Poornima

Profession: Playback Singer, Bollywood.

Remember the child prodigy who sang the hit 'Hai Na Bolo Bolo' when she was just nine. Poornima is the oldest singer in terms of experience in the industry ( who among today's singers can boast of having worked with Naushad, Madan Mohan, C. Ramchandra, Anil Biswas, S. D. Burman and Shankar Jaikishan ).

Poornima did a children's album called Bal Geet, which had the legendary S. Khale composing the songs and Shanta Shelke penning them. She sang four songs in it and it proved as huge hit and gave immense exposure to Poornima who surprised everybody by singing Marathi songs without a blemish.

The first break happened accidentally when Chandrakant Bhosle, a family friend and an assistant to Shankar – Jaikishan recommended her name to Shankar. Inspite of the prevailing custom of women playback singers singing for children, Shankar took upon him the challenge of taking an unknown child to sing 'Hai Na Bolo Bolo' for the film Andaz. Poornima recorded her first song on the 11th of November 1969 with the legend Mohammad Rafi and Suman Kalyanpur. Rafi was impressed by her singing and presented her hundred rupees after the recording.

Her career was planned to be launched at a function organised by the Punjab Association organised by Raj Kapoor, Pran and others. Slated to perform on the 12th of April 1971, tragedy struck on the 11th of April when her father suffered a cardiac arrest and died. The undaunted teenager encouraged by family and friends gave a performance, which impressed many and which also enabled her to get a scholarship of Rs. 250 to study music.

Marriage put a temporary halt to her singing career with regard to films as she stopped doing stage shows, which promptly dried up the offers for playback. Her last song as Sushma Shreshtha was in N. Chandra's Ankur 'Itni Shakti Humein Dena Mata'. Jingles took her attention where the professionalism made her settle to a steady work schedule.

In the 1990's, Tips, the Music Company approached her with an offer. Wanting to make a clean departure from the child prodigy image, they suggested a change of name and image. Sushma was game and took the name Poornima, according to her star.Her song 'Barsaat Mein Jab Aayega Saawan Ka Maheena' from Maa was a hit. Few things changed till David Dhawan's Bol Radha Bol. 'Tu Tu Tu Tu Tara' was nothing short of an anthem and the remaining songs, which were a success also, gave Poornima the opportunity to savour success and adulation that had eluded for long.

She continued her association with Dhawan, she went on to sing for all his No.1 series including Haseena Maan Jayegi and Biwi No.1, last year's blockbuster. Inspite of the lacklustre Indi – Pop scenario last year, Poornima was one of the top – ten selling artistes with her album Mera Dil Bole Piya Piya. With the adage "slow and steady wins the race" enforcing her nearly three comebacks.More of her has yet to come ....

Best Of Poornima:
SongMovie

Aaj Kal Ki LadkiyanChal Mere Bhai
Maine paidal se ja raha thaHero No. 1
Mr. Lova LovaIshq

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

juggyE thumbnail
To add...
Her dad was Bhola Shreshtha - a music arranger who later on gave music in a few Hindi movies (and I think some Nepali movies as well)...
bollywood_queen thumbnail
yea i liked channe ke khet main too... also liked sona kitna sona hai, shaam hai dhuan dhuan and a few other songs

i think she's still singing for films but the songs r just not becoming popular
uknaik99 thumbnail

While searching for her deatils in Google, I came across this page.. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0691011/

It shows Date of Death...and cause as Suicide.. is it true???😕😕😕.. if anyone knows about this pls let me know...

Date of death (details)
    (suicide)

Sometimes Credited As:
    Purnima

IMDbPro Details            Add IMDb Resume

Filmography as: Miscellaneous Crew

Miscellaneous Crew - filmography
(2000s) (1990s)

1. Inteqam: The Perfect Game (2004) (playback singer)
   2. Hulchul (2004) (playback singer)
   3. Uljhan (2001) (playback singer) (as Purnima)
   4. Ittefaq (2001) (playback singer)
   5. Shikari (2000) (playback singer)
   6. Chal Mere Bhai (2000) (playback singer)
      ... aka Come On, My Brother (India: English title: literal title)

7. Haseena Maan Jaayegi (1999) (playback singer)
      ... aka Hasina Maan Jayegi (India: Hindi title: alternative transliteration)
   8. Hote Hote Pyar Hogaya (1999) (playback singer) (as Purnima)
   9. Biwi No. 1 (1999) (playback singer)
10. Rajaji (1999) (playback singer)
11. Benaam (1999) (playback singer)
12. Sar Utha Ke Jiyo (1998) (playback singer)
13. Barood (1998) (playback singer)
14. Jaane Jigar (1998) (playback singer)
15. Vinashak - Destroyer (1998) (playback singer)
16. Aavida Maa Aavide (1998) (playback singer)
17. Hafta Vasuli (1998) (playback singer)
18. Ishq (1997) (playback singer)
      ... aka Romance (India: English title: literal title)
19. Mr. & Mrs. Khiladi (1997) (playback singer)
20. Daava (1997) (playback singer)
      ... aka The Challenge (India: English title)
21. Insaaf: The Final Justice (1997) (playback singer)
      ... aka Justice (India: English title) (International: English title)
22. Zameer: The Awakening of a Soul (1997) (playback singer)
23. Lahoo Ke Do Rang (1997) (playback singer)
24. Mrityudaata (1997) (playback singer) (as Purnima)
25. Mr. Bechara (1996) (playback singer) (as Purnima)
26. Loafer (1996) (playback singer)
27. Tu Chor Main Sipahi (1996) (playback singer)
28. Vijeta (1996) (playback singer)
      ... aka Conquest (International: English title)
29. Aisi Bhi Kya Jaldi Hai (1996) (playback singer) (as Purnima)
30. English Babu Desi Mem (1996) (playback singer)
31. Papi Gudia (1996) (playback singer)
32. Shastra (1996) (playback singer)
33. Coolie No. 1 (1995) (playback singer)
34. Taaqat (1995) (playback singer) (as Purnima)
35. God and Gun (1995) (playback singer)
36. Raghuveer (1995) (playback singer)
37. Hum Hain Bemisaal (1994) (playback singer)
38. Aao Pyaar Karen (1994) (playback singer)
39. Suhaag (1994) (playback singer) (as Purnima)
40. Vaade Iraade (1994) (playback singer)
41. Vijaypath (1994) (playback singer)
42. Jai Kishen (1994) (playback singer)
43. Anjaam (1994) (playback singer)
44. Betaaj Badshah (1994) (playback singer) (as Purnima)
45. Elaan (1994) (playback singer) (as Purnima)
46. Eena Meena Deeka (1994) (playback singer)
47. Gopi Kishan (1994) (playback singer)
48. Krantiveer (1994) (playback singer)
49. Udhaar Ki Zindagi (1994) (playback singer)
50. Khal-Naaikaa (1993) (playback singer)
51. Pehchaan (1993) (playback singer)
      ... aka Pehechaan (India: Hindi title: video box title)
52. Bol Radha Bol (1992) (playback singer)
53. Patthar Ke Phool (1991) (playback singer) Edited by uknaik99 - 17 years ago

what??? she has passed away????... i didnt know that 😕 😕 😕

i think there must be some mistake

Edited by bollywood_queen - 17 years ago

This content was originally posted by: uknaik99

While searching for her deatils in Google, I came across this page.. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0691011/

It shows Date of Death...and cause as Suicide.. is it true???😕😕😕.. if anyone knows about this pls let me know...

Date of death (details)
    (suicide) 

i looked on google... there's no other mention of this... and it says date of death 2000 which is defnitely not possible so it's just a mistake... quite an unfortunate mistake though 😕

uknaik99 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: bollywood_queen

i looked on google... there's no other mention of this... and it says date of death 2000 which is defnitely not possible so it's just a mistake... quite an unfortunate mistake though 😕

As you say I hope it is a mistake...

I just read that She is one who encouraged Kunal Ganjawala to become a singer.. go thru this

Kunal Ganjawala,has soon become one of the top names in the category of singers... But Kunal never imagined himself to be a star,least of all a singer!!It was only during his college days in Elphinstone College in Mumbai,did he realize that he had a voice!!!     Then,during the college festival of Malhar ,famous singer Poornima encouraged him to pursue. singing as a career.

Edited by uknaik99 - 17 years ago
This content was originally posted by: uknaik99

As you say I hope it is a mistake...

I just read that She is one who encouraged Kunal Ganjawala to become a singer.. go thru this

Kunal Ganjawala,has soon become one of the top names in the category of singers... But Kunal never imagined himself to be a star,least of all a singer!!It was only during his college days in Elphinstone College in Mumbai,did he realize that he had a voice!!!     Then,during the college festival of Malhar ,famous singer Poornima encouraged him to pursue. singing as a career. < marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" src="http://www.mouthshut.com/INCLUDES/CONTENT/advt/RR_cente r_creativei.aspx" border="0" height="250" scrolling="no" width="300">&lt;BR&gt;</>

days in Elphinstone College in Mumbai,did he realize that he had a voice!!!
   Then,during the college festival of Malhar ,famous singer Poornima encouraged him to pursue singing as a career.

yea i read that in the thread about kunal ganjawala

thanks for sharing... made me listen to channe ke khet me 😛... now that's a song that always gets me dancing! 😆

uknaik99 thumbnail
Does any one Know more about Singer POORNIMA.. Pls post your somments here 😊 😊
*salil* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Sushma Sreshtha sang some popular songs ---

Kya hua tera vada -- with Rafi
Tera mujhase hai pehele ka nata koi -- with Kishore
Thande Thande pani se nahana chahiye -- with Asha/Mahendra kapoor