Armu4eva

Coolbie

Armu4eva

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 12:37pm | IP Logged

Is dusky the new dawn?

TNN | Jun 28, 2012, 12.00AM IST
Is dusky the new dawn?
Deepika Singh
Gone are the days when fair actresses were the preferred ones to be cast as the lead players in the television industry. If one looks at the current telly scenario, it's obvious that many of the daily soaps today have dusky actresses in the lead. 

And they are carrying the show rather efficiently on their petite shoulders. So, has the industry finally opened its arms wide for the dusky actresses? TOI digs deeper...

Long way to go
Mitali Nag, who plays the lead in daily soap Afsar Bitiya, feels that even though there are quite a few dusky actresses who are playing the lead on TV today, "the obsession with the colour still remains." She goes on to add, "It's good to see that there is change in the air, but to be quitefrank, we still have a long way to go before mindsets can be changed. Mostly, the production houses look for fair guys and gals for the soap operas, unless a particular character needs to be dusky. Though it's good to see so many dusky leads these days, but it's also sad to know that they are there, only because the script requires them, and not because they are the first choice."

Dusky is sexy
Purnendu Shekhar, the scriptwriter of Balika Vadhu, which has Pratyusha Banerjee as the lead, however, feels that "complexion is no longer an issue" for the television industry. "Duskiness is considered quite sexy today. The perception of having a fair lead was there initially in tellydom, but those days are over. And if you go by the statistics, you'll know that the new thought process is working well. The lead should be good-looking with fine acting acumen and impressive dialogue delivery, and that's what really matters. Also, she should be accepted by the viewers. Pratyusha, in spite of being dusky, is adored by the television audiences much more than her fair competitors." Director of Phir Subah hogi, Wasim Shahir, also feels that colour of the skin plays no role in the popularity of a show today. "The ratings of the show depend on the content of the show, the performance of the actors and not on the colour of a person," says he. However, he does not deny that dusky leads are considered more realistic in certain situations. He explains, "If the character is of a lady who is working hard in a village field, I cannot take a fair lead, as that would be really unrealistic!"

A new phase
Dusky beauty Gulki Joshi, who plays the lead in Phir Subah Hogi, adds another dimension to the debate, as she says: "Television goes through different phases at different times. Sometime back, they wanted fair leads; today they're happy with the dusky ones. But, I think the dusky phase has finally arrived, and I'm really glad about it." Does that mean the viewers and the telly producers have finally become more acceptable towards the dusky beauties? "I really don't dwelltoo much on such nitty-gritty. But, I feel it's basically quite a positive step," says she.

Dark beauties
Afsar Bitiya - Zee TV - Mitali Nag
Balika Vadhu - Colors - Pratyusha Banerjeen
Phir Subah Hogi - Zee TV - Gulki Joshi
Punar Vivah - Zee TV - Kratika Sengar
Diya Aur Bati Hum - Star Plus - Deepika Singh
Ek hazaron me meri behna hain - Star Plus - Nia Sharma

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

PutijaChalhovromancefanVinnie79MR21tulipdaisyKhatamKahanirani-lucki~~~~pyar-ishk

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "TOI: Is dusky the new dawn? - Gulki" in Phir Subah Hogi forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

tulipdaisy

IF-Rockerz

tulipdaisy

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 12:41pm | IP Logged

Thanks for the info.
I find Gulki very beautiful and bubbly.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

widdyromancefan

Prabhdeep

Prabhdeep

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 12:47pm | IP Logged
Tfs. All these actresses really are beautiful esp Gulki Smile

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

widdyromancefan

Sabina_Ansari

Sabina_Ansari

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 12:50pm | IP Logged
Thanks for Sharing..

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

widdy

-rupa-

IF-Rockerz

-rupa-

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 11:58pm | IP Logged
Thanks for sharing ...as said in article ..it is true that performace & content of story makes it more interesting than seeing fair lady all the time LOL with no expression

Btw are these three come under dusky ??
i think they are fair ..where as other three mentioned are not .

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

larimel22

larimel22

larimel22

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 12:29am | IP Logged
Deepika Singh and Nia Sharma are NOT dusky! :S

KhatamKahani

IF-Sizzlerz

KhatamKahani

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 12:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -rupa-

Thanks for sharing ...as said in article ..it is true that performace & content of story makes it more interesting than seeing fair lady all the time LOL with no expression

Btw are these three come under dusky ??
i think they are fair ..where as other three mentioned are not .
LOL I had the same thought.  Oh what passes for 'dusky' in the Indian media. 

..Mishh007..

IF-Sizzlerz

..Mishh007..

Posted: 28 June 2012 at 12:46am | IP Logged
tfs..

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.