Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin General Discussion

Telechips (JESSICA BEDI)

Starryskies Groupbie
Starryskies
Starryskies

Posted: 29 April 2005 at 7:44am | IP Logged
g TV : Telechips (JESSICA BEDI)

CODE NAME: BUTTERFLY

The spectacles have fallen off, the braces pulled loose, the hair let loose to cascade down her shoulders. And what do we have here? The unfurling of a new look! Caterpillar Jasmeet Walia emerges from the cocoon and turns into Mona Singh… err… Jessica Bedi. A new look, a new name… What else is new in the life of Mona Singh aka Jessica Bedi, the prime mover of Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahi!

It's official now! Jasmeet Walia is Jessica Bedi in an all-new avatar and ready to take on the world. Apart from a physical transformation, she's also undergone a spiritual one, becoming, in the process, confident, assertive and dynamic. Actress Mona Singh is the actress who underwent the transformation from the ugly Jassi to the sexy Jessica but still refuses to acknowledge the fact that she is Mona Singh and prefers to being called Jasmeet-who's-turned-into-Jessica. Nevertheless, the country waited for the transformation of the fumbling Jassi who has captured the imagination of the audiences. With the help of Queenie Dhody, Bausch & Lomb, Vandana Luthra etc. the revamped Jassi now sports silky smooth tresses, a slim and svelte figure, sexy outfits too… because the new Jassi is a woman with a mission. Here's a chat with the girl herself.

How are you enjoying your new look?
I'm very happy with my makeover especially because it has brought me positive feedback from everyone. There are many who'd prefer seeing me in my old self but it doesn't mean they don't like me in this new avtaar.

When was it decided to go in for a makeover?
One fine day, when I was shooting till 10.00 p.m. (my regular hours) I was asked to visit the beauty parlour for the new haircut and that was when I learnt about the look. We tried quite a few hairstyles before we hit upon the right one. Then, around 2.00 a.m. I got ready and reported for shooting at 5.30 a.m. I was scared of the makeover because I wondered if it would look good in front of the camera – suddenly wearing make-up and being on the ramp was too new an experience for me. It's good it happened so late in the show that I got the time to prepare for it. I knew that people were eagerly looking forward to the change.

We tried lots of looks… straight hair, curly hair etc. We went through the unmasking process gradually and didn't change Jassi overnight as it would have been too filmi. So the first step was cutting and styling the hair, then colouring it, then came the change of clothes, a different frame for my glasses, and finally the no braces, no glasses but contact lens look. The more glamorous outfits came in later when Jassi decided to become a model. So, the audience has a valid reason for all the changes and has accepted them without a hitch.

Other than the hair, your clothes and weight too underwent a change. Isn't it?
Yeah. I had put on lots of weight in-between and it never showed in the loose salwaar kameezes I used to wear. So I was not bothered. Parathas are my normal breakfast. Now I have to work out everyday because in skirts, shirts and pants all the curves are visible (laughs). I work out at the Barbarian gym with my personal trainer Satya who religiously calls me every morning.

Coming to the serial, you have Jassi talking to Raj in her normal voice and he doesn't recognize her! Since one's voice the most easily identifiable characteristic of a person, people around Jassi can't be so blinded by her makeover to fail recognizing her voice!

I do not agree with you! But, to deal with another facet of my speech, the diction, I am taking lessons in voice modulation! Earlier, my language was too vernacular and had a distinct Punjabi accent but now if you have noticed it has a sophisticated feel to it. I also use lots of English words so it's tough for a person to differentiate between Jassi and Jessica.

So, how has life changed?
Oh, life has changed totally. When I look into the mirror I don't recognize myself. But other than that everyone wants to photograph me. People keep clicking away all the time.

The other day, I was crossing the road just outside my house, and there were people stopping their cars and aiming their cameras and camera phones at me.

Now that you are 'out of the closet' you can freely be called Mona Singh! Any identity crisis here?
No, not really. I was never worried about an identity crisis for my real name is Jasmeet and the Walia was added to the character. When they were naming the character Jassi they were thinking of Jaspinder, Jaswinder but I suggested why not my real name Jasmeet which goes with Jassi. I hail from a Punjabi background and my sister is called Sona. To rhyme with that, my name at home is Mona.

How much of 'Jassi' are you in real life?
Oh, quite a bit. Like Jassi I too am very clumsy and keep banging into people wherever I go. I respect and value time and I have a strong belief in God. Like my character on the small screen, my parents are very important to me. They are my best friends. If they are with me, no one else matters. I am bewildered by the way in which Jassi has stormed the country. Recently, my mom said that at an inter-school fancy dress competition at Pune, a girl dressed up like Jassi and won the first prize. I like to be simple like Jassi and wear only lipstick and kajal. I enjoyed being Jassi. It made me a recognizable face. It's just that I did not have time for myself. But even now, I am busy with umpteen photo shoots and interviews.

What happens now that you have turned into Jessica?
Jassi will avenge herself and clear her name. She will go to Gulmohar and make enquiries about the real culprit behind the money scam. I know my contract ended with the channel in May but it has been renewed for the story will now be extended. So, watch out for lots of fun and excitement on the show.

You have been anchoring a lot of Sony shows in the last two weeks. Enjoying the experience?
It's scary at times because you're always your guard so as not to slip up and make a mistake on stage. I'd rather stick to acting which I am familiar with. In anchoring you can't make any mistakes, for there are no retakes.

Have you considered any other offers?
I might do a Bausch and Lomb ad soon. Other than that I hardly get time for other assignments. There's also no chance to sign another serial for Jassi takes up all my days. But once it comes to an end I might sign a good serial, maybe a film. I haven't thought of it as yet but I won't leave television for it has given me so much. I can't take up anything less challenging than Jassi.

But won't the Jassi name and image follow you, whatever you do?
No problem! I don't want to try and break the Jassi image for it has been a dream role. I wouldn't mind people calling me by my screen name, "Jassi".

Jassi/Jessica is caught between Apoorva Agnihotri and Sameer Soni. What about Mona Singh's personal life?
There is no time for love! I'm good friends in Rakshanda Khan and Manini De, so we all hang out whenever we are free. Otherwise, love will have to wait.

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top