letitgo thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

We as human beings set certain standards … our mind is accustomed to believe that we can only do certain things in the limited periphery. When we work within limitations and with the same old methodologies, it may certainly bring results but not satisfactory ones. It is only when one takes a big dive to reach new horizons, it brings immense satisfaction. We come out of flying colors.

Something different was done with this show and the attempt itself to break the regular age old molds called as "the regular Indian television methods" made us connect with the show at many levels. Hence developing a sensitive bond, which made everyone react instantly when the show was taken back to fit into the "Indian soap" category.

I want to ask, why settle back thinking "what more can we expect; after all it is an Indian television show"… why can't we ask for something which has the capability to go beyond …. Why not break the cliches … I want the show to prove that there can be a show which will appeal to the viewers even without eye lock sessions and high voltage drama and evil plotting characters. More over that there exists a certain demographic part of audience who appreciates and also reciprocates to such subtle and intelligent showcase.  

After the two episode disaster, it did not just shatter our hearts but brought in a fear of losing something which was inspiring the future of Indian tele soaps. If such a show succumbs to the commercial demands, can we have such brave attempts again? Will there b chance to evolve and raise our standards.  Will the intelligent writers (script n dialogues) take a back seat again?

The viewers showed a lot of anger, disgust, it was not the regular reaction such as liking or disliking a movie which comes and goes…… No! This is a daily soap which is a good 30 mins of each individual's life… it was the reaction which came out of the viewer who is deeply hurt. The episodes following the disaster were a good attempt to recover but still there are holes to be filled in. I don't want to point of flaws or tell what is being ignored or forgotten or how it should be … bcoz more than us the writers and executors know it very well. And we appreciate that some measures are being taken. It has helped restore the faith and to keep patience. I hope they don't misuse it.  With such belief … I will look forward to the upcoming episodes.

It has been a hell of a week, have a nice weekend everyone.

Bhavana.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AreYaar thumbnail
I find it ironic honestly that the these ppl first create something that pulls in the discerning viewer who is FED UP of the usual TV crap...then they cave in to the usual channel/TRP pressures and start to show the very things that had repulsed us about the rest of TV.

The numbers games seem to consume any half-way decent talented or intelligent mind left in this business sooner or later.

I'm yet to watch the last two epis...might get back to it after I have time again...but the path they've chosen is just not looking appealing...a Mohan hyper about marriage...a Megha who is shown as an incoherent confused idiot...then they'll get married and Mohan has to PROVE himself responsible...I never wanted them to take this route but it seems imminent now...ah well.
letitgo thumbnail
Originally posted by: AreYaar

I find it ironic honestly that the these ppl first create something that pulls in the discerning viewer who is FED UP of the usual TV crap...then they cave in to the usual channel/TRP pressures and start to show the very things that had repulsed us about the rest of TV.

The numbers games seem to consume any half-way decent talented or intelligent mind left in this business sooner or later.

Since I was a kid and the Ekta shows started to rule the roost, I have observed a trend. One comes with a new product and everybody follows the same pattern. First it was the saas bahu saga and then came in Balika Vadhu, everyone else came up with a village and women-facing social problems concepts. There was nothing on tv which would satisfy me as a teenager '.then I understood that not only me but all viewers irrespective of age are forced to get used to such kind of entertainment.

Hence, when ever there was an attempt to bring in different genres into the television system, I have tried to appreciate it. For example, I loved the channel Star one during its initial days; it had a very different list of programs. Remix, sarabhai, cooking show, home shanti home, body and soul, men maange more, reality shows etc etc I can't recollect all of them at this moment. But then again the same old problem, viewers were not elite enough to try such varied options. It's a shame it had to end even after adapting to the commercial route.

The majority (mass) of the audience is still used to the old kind of entertainment and refuse to try new things. Keeping that in mind I wonder, can be possible that the people who make the new shows try to bring in a difference but end up changing ways to make their product run. It may not be about luring people initially and then take it easy'. If they had to lure people in eventually, why can't they start with a bang of commercial stuff?

Edited by bhavi20_s - 11 years ago
Nymeria thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Why reinforce the fact that TV is only meant for soap operas with certain set storylines? Why come out with a promising story and characters and then reduce the STANDARDS to sit the same old run-of-the-mill niche of TV shows? Why not move PAST the oh-so-typical ways of drawing the viewership numbers and actually focusing on raising the STANDARD of work on television?
QUALITY trumps quantity any day according to me and according to most of those who loved this show for its unique style of providing entertainment.
The show was far more interesting with the subtle twists and subtle symbolisms than it is these days with these OVERT twists and in-your-face symbolisms. So, they don't get as many trps as they wished for and they ASSUME that the audience ain't getting it?!😳 or that the audience only ever wants what is the current trend in tv land?
It's the channel's fault as much as it is the PH's fault. Why can't there be one channel to risk it and bring about QUALITY shows? Why isn't there one PH that can risk it and continue with their original plan  of maintaining the QUALITY of their product rather than succumbing to the old school stuff? It IS do-able! Very much so.

but ummm who am i kidding?! Myself 😛 What damage is done is DONE and nothing can ever bring back what was lost. At least not for me. I have lost all my interest in the show and I sure as hell don't feel like watching Mohan's character get dragged in the mud like the rest of the characters. I would rather preserve the image I hold of Mohan in my mind than see it get skinned like the show's quality.

Anywho, so long NBT, i enjoyed the time from the commencement day till part of last week and I would definitely give credit to those involved for that time being. 😊

Edited by Nymeria - 11 years ago
letitgo thumbnail
Originally posted by: Nymeria

Why reinforce the fact that TV is only meant for soap operas with certain set storylines? Why come out with a promising story and characters and then reduce the STANDARDS to sit the same old run-of-the-mill niche of TV shows? Why not move PAST the oh-so-typical ways of drawing the viewership numbers and actually focusing on raising the STANDARD of work on television?
QUALITY trumps quantity any day according to me and according to most of those who loved this show for its unique style of providing entertainment.
The show was far more interesting with the subtle twists and subtle symbolisms than it is these days with these OVERT twists and in-your-face symbolisms. So, they don't get as many trps as they wished for and they ASSUME that the audience ain't getting it?!😳 or that the audience only ever wants what is the current trend in tv land?
It's the channel's fault as much as it is the PH's fault. Why can't there be one channel to risk it and bring about QUALITY shows? Why isn't there one PH that can risk it and continue with their original plan  of maintaining the QUALITY of their product rather than succumbing to the old school stuff? It IS do-able! Very much so.

but ummm who am i kidding?! Myself 😛 What damage is done is DONE and nothing can ever bring back what was lost. At least not for me. I have lost all my interest in the show and I sure as hell don't feel like watching Mohan's character get dragged in the mud like the rest of the characters. I would rather preserve the image I hold of Mohan in my mind than see it get skinned like the show's quality.

Anywho, so long NBT, i enjoyed the time from the commencement day till part of last week and I would definitely give credit to those involved for that time being. 😊

Hmm I like this healthy discussion.

@bold- that's exactly my thoughts… u have put it in such a simple manner.

My question is, IS there anyone who makes these shows on Indian television, who cares about uplifting the standards? Create a benchmark…. Come to level up with intelligent programmers around the world.

Keep the numbers game aside, and totally concentrate on the quality?

I think such an attempt made without any pressures is not possible for individual makers but it has to come out of the channel owners where they don't make money or looking for sponsors or keep coming up with new marketing strategies. 

Sad to say but such honest efforts or making something selfless ………It's become like doing a charity work, a social cause.  

-RD- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Fair enough that i share this here as well

Here is an article from OPEN magazine giving some insight into the workings of the television industry:

TELEVISION
Confessions of a TV Serial Scriptwriter
"There's a constant disconnect between writers. No writer knows what the other is working on, even if they are working on the same episode. It has become a clerical job now"

Television is full of people who only know how to follow the rule book. The more regressive the theme, the more advertisers you get. Women who stand up in serials are not as popular as women who suffer. And writers today actually believe that women should be like this. Every time you create something new, there's pressure to create it within the same world view. The more a character cries, the higher the TRPs.
Directors are hardworking spot boys. They're not creative talent. They don't have the option of saying no to anything. They don't have the security blanket.

I worked with Ekta Kapoor. She doesn't have the patience to work with older people. You have to be 40 or below. Better yet, 30 or below. And if you're 20'she works best with 20-year-olds. You have to have the energy. And you have to be a phone call away at 3 am.

She has fun messing with people. She'll be abusive. She does it with people who depend on the job for their bread and butter. I didn't need to be there, so she didn't do this to me.

Writers would exercise a subtle form of self-censorship. You might have good ideas, but you won't put them in the television script. Anyway, if you did, Ekta would read it and point out that no one would get it. She instinctively knew the nerve of the nation.

Ekta hired one person to sit in the office library, read books all day, and relay stories to her at night. The person would read Hindi literature and books from a hundred years ago. We were living in a Victorian era. I wondered why.

Writing day in and day out pressurized us. You could produce emotion and drama for a while, but soon, you would begin to plagiarise. There was some brainstorming in the beginning, about ten years ago. But it doesn't work that way anymore. There's a constant disconnect between writers. No writer knows what the other is working on, even if they are working on the same episode. It has become a clerical job now.
Star knew dealing with Ekta was like gambling. They never knew when she would flip. She has simple emotions. She laughs and gets angry easily. She's a child in that sense.

(This scriptwriter used to write for Balaji Telefilms)

Nothing can change till the viewership pattern changes or the trp system is abolished and makers are free to air what they want ..NBT tried to b different for 6 months and what did they get the last spot in the time slot ...and its business so the pressure will obviously b there and to survive makers have to succumb to it had this show got the numbers in the first 6 months ...it wud have been a different story all together
Edited by -RD- - 11 years ago
letitgo thumbnail
^^^^^ This shows that the talented bunch are better off in theaters where they are away from the commercialization.

All the men n women in the entertainment world want to be Hitlers... dictate and rule. Set the mindset of the viewers and keep feeding them the same old stuff and mint money.

AreYaar thumbnail
@Pooja: Thanks for posting that...very insightful article...makes me feel sorry for Ekta's writers...quite a character she is...her success in the industry notwithstanding...creativity is deffo not one of the high points of the Balaji juggernaut and this article proves why.

As for NBT...ahh those first six months with the last spot in the timeslot were very close to my heart...I always say that the quality of a show is inversely proportional to the ratings...usually the higher the ratings, the crappier a show gets...although in NBT's case, they just couldn't seem to catch a break either ways...while staying true to their essence or by trying the usual lame OTT gimmicks of every other show on TV.

Wouldn't it be better then to atleast keep your dignity and stay true to the CORE fanbase of this show that appreciated it for the very fact that it was different...NOT senseless?...Such witty, well written scenes we got...the story flowed, moved towards a purpose...where is all that now?

But I guess DIGNITY is also a forgotten thing on Indian TV...Numbers and money are king...after all they aren't running a charity...and creativity, poor thing is dependent on charity only these days...however long it's allowed to blossom despite all the pressures of numbers.
meghumonu thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
guys i think apka criticizing justified hai!! bt the CV's r trying to mend the damage which the dappu jhappu jodi did in 3 episodes in a row!! and the last 3 episodes are quite good!! guys plzz give CV's sme appreciation and courage bcoz they are trying to mend the damage and guys plzz gv the show sme time yar!! dnt lve watching the show jst bcoz of 3 shitty episodes!! itzz my request as a NBT lover and a fan to other NBT lover and fans!!
-RD- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
@Anu- As much as I agree with u i have to say i am still watching cause this is one show after eons that has becum  my habit and even now when i c Mohan ...my heart still feels that tug😆 ...and I am one of those known to watch n ditch within days 🤣...but i cant seem to let go and i may b no why bec sum of the relationships shown in this show still make me smile and the leads were never the thing i was watching the show for...

plus i think this show has great pace to it by relative standards ...and coming to the point of trps and traks and then going the soap way and still not getting the success i think the first attempt was by the makers while this one is a more channel based one and like the previous one this time to they will have to revert back to vintage stuff quick enough and i dont c this show lasting beyond Oct when BB starts and the pacing is indication enough

And despite all its falls i think in the current scenario where each soap is a replica of the other NBT will still be remembered as a show that was different and not so successful as it shud have been ..Plus i give it  to the PH or who ever that they atleast listen to us and act

Pls ignore typos and grammar IPod  sucks
Edited by -RD- - 11 years ago