Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

whatthewhat thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: samana17

Mira, haha ya u are right dear. It wasn't a solution. I wanted to say that if Mouni was casted as ma Parvati instead of Sonarika, people wud've been more fascinated towards the story Shiv and Parvati. Their love for the jodi Mouni-Mohit has extented so much that now they are creating their own logic. I am just trying to say that being a die-hard fan is one thing and trying put their own sense in order see what they want is completely wrong. Now as Sonarika is the new Parvati people are mixing myths with romance!

Bang on! ðŸ˜Š
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Narangi

By the stuff in bold, I meant that women of that era did not go out of their way to try and marry men inimical towards their fathers.  They typically had Swayamvaras, and either picked out of the lot, or continued searching (like Savitri did, even though she was from Treta Yuga).  The idea that Sati would, over her father's objections, go out of her way to marry Shiva is absurd.

What happened was that Brahma did persuade Daksha to give her in marriage to Shiva, so Daksha agreed.  The fall-out b/w Daksha & Shiva happened after that.  If Daksha merely disdained Shiva b4 Sati's marriage, he absolutely hated him after that incident at a yagna where Shiva & Sati didn't rise to greet him.
whatthewhat thumbnail
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Narangi

By the stuff in bold, I meant that women of that era did not go out of their way to try and marry men inimical towards their fathers.  They typically had Swayamvaras, and either picked out of the lot, or continued searching (like Savitri did, even though she was from Treta Yuga).  The idea that Sati would, over her father's objections, go out of her way to marry Shiva is absurd.

What happened was that Brahma did persuade Daksha to give her in marriage to Shiva, so Daksha agreed.  The fall-out b/w Daksha & Shiva happened after that.  If Daksha merely disdained Shiva b4 Sati's marriage, he absolutely hated him after that incident at a yagna where Shiva & Sati didn't rise to greet him.

my name is Mira ðŸ˜Š
Thats what I've read too...re Shiva-Daksh-Sati.

On the other point about women:

I am not sure if they went out of their way to marry against their father's wishes or not...that to me would be speculation. ðŸ˜Š But women have certainly  married against their families' wishes...Rukmini eloped with Krishna...in that case, if I remember correctly, it wasn;t her parents, but her brother who opposed the marriage with Krishna. Their is a strain of thought that suggests that women had the freedom to choose their own husbands ...more so in ancient times than later...when they became the property of their fathers and husbands etc...

Edited by narangi_77 - 11 years ago
LeadNitrate thumbnail
 I agree with the gist of the topic, specially mira and vrish both.

Creative liberty is fine, considering the medium which we are sharing. But converting History and mythology to run off the mill love story ain't fine. This happened before with historical shows and  mythological shows . However mytho shows typically stayed within a limit and also there used to be a time frame, they were typically weekly or weekend shows hence, they did not experiment much.

Here however, the focus being the love story the liberty taken is a bit too much at times. 
Recently they tried to incorporate the stories of Lord K and even Lord of the Rings movies in the show. I hope they realise viewers, even when they are young teenagers are not that dumb.

Also the uneasiness in seeing the way some characters are twisted. Vrish has spoken a lot about tarakasura, so i will not elaborate.
I will however point out to  Anasuya, chandrama's mother and the way she was potrayed as a simple, ordinary ,even a little bit selfish mother. WHAT was that? Anasuya was famous for her purity and devotion to husband, so much so that she reduced the tridev into her kids. They could have shown that story to show, even Lord Shiva gets beaten at times.
vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Nice Post Mira , I agree with every points layouted here that , There is a need for some Clarity ,when they are showing about Gods . Me to expect some more extra information or tracks  after sati's immolation ,but they rushed towards parvathi ,here too they are over dramatizing every thing .Shiv is not a ordinary man ,that he is always bounded to Lady love , Its part of his journey thats all. IF they are sticked to Romancing side of   Shiv , its is not mean that  ,they can spoil the time line and marks of Other Rishis around HIm . 40 % of the viewers knew nothing ,they just believe what they are showing , Includings kids .  Lets Leave Tarakasur ,Atleast ,there needed  some specularity while showing stories of Rishis. Because they are revered persons ,Unlike gods they are part of our Human History also . zigzagging the time line is considered ,before doing so .
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
see regarding the creative liberty part-the cvs have admitted it themselves that they have taken creative liberties here and there...its a different presentation of Shiva,which has clicked with the audience!
in the recently Made Ramayan with Gurmeet and Debina at the beginning of the show it self all the sources of the story line were clearly written down,also they did not as far as i know take any deviation,they stuck to the orignal story since its objective was to prohect it as a spiritual show...
In DKDM however there is something that comes before the episode-which in my opinion everyone should read it-
its says "this show is a dramatized version of Pauranic scriptures,created exclusively for the purpose of entertainment-not meant to hurt the sentiments of any group or religious section"
DKDM has been created for entertainment purposes and is based on the Pauranic scriptures...the disclaimer says everything,and in this way it some how explains that all the content of this show shouldnt too seriously!...
but the major problem is that no one is able to read,since it comes in such tiny print for barely 2 seconds...
but yes ill agree the one Part that seriously annoyed me was seeing tarkasur in Satis era-he was so damn out of place...grrr...i felt like whacking him each time i saw him,similarly when i see Dadhichi a part in my head goes"errr...Dadhichi arent you supposed to be dead??",atleast showing rishi Markandey makes sense since he did live that long and also wrote scriptures like the Devi Puran,Durga Satashati etc
i have no problem in showing Shiva and Adi Shakits story as a love story-its a love story we look up to and admire,but something i have a serious problem is the fact that they are messing up the timelines,that almost changes the whole story,specially when they got Tarkasur in Satis era,which made no sense!
PS-i do hope they show some of Shivas independent stories too-even of it is in the flashback form of a Rishi telling Parvati a story of Shiva-he may be an ideal husband/lover,but ShivJi has many aspects to his character which people need to know!!
nice post sweety
shruti
Edited by shruti.nil - 11 years ago
vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: shruti.nil

but yes ill agree the one Part that seriously annoyed me was seeing tarkasur in Satis era-he was so damn out of place...grrr...i felt like whacking him each time i saw him,similarly when i see Dadhichi a part in my head goes"errr...Dadhichi arent you supposed to be dead??",atleast showing rishi Markandey makes sense since he did live that long and also wrote scriptures like the Devi Puran,Durga Satashati etc

🤣 ðŸ¤£
pnars thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Engager 3 Thumbnail + 6
My two paise worth re: creative liberty -

We should all agree that this is an adaptation of the Shiva mythologies. The original mythologies themselves are shrouded in mystery and time - the same story has many variations depending on which purana you read it in - Shiva Purana, Linga Purana, Devi Purana etc.

I have a layperson's suspicion as well that many "adaptations" already exist - which purana is the 
authentic original one? And which one is a derivative? Also, do you disregard the more recent commentaries and adaptations available over the last few hundred years in various vernacular languages?

Taken in this spirit, we should just sit back and enjoy the story. Treat it similar to what we in Karnataka call a "bayalaata" - a Yakshagaana dance/drama that runs in villages through the night. The dialogues can vary and be enhanced/stretched depending on the actors' moods, the current 
"hot news" in town etc but the core narrative is intact. The end product is very amusing and entertaining. Haven't many of us attended village roadshows such as this?

What I do object to is reducing the Shiva story to a Mohit-Mouni Chemistry show as some people here seem to think. The makers of this show have definitely not done that. There are some beautiful dialogues and situations that get lost in this "hot" romance. 

Take for instance, the episode of Jan 13th when Dadichi and other sages go to Kailas and invite Shiva to the Mahamandal. Shiva speaks beautifully then - that the cause for all this is "pakshapaath" and people go to wars, the whole environment (pashu, pakshi, jeev jantu) suffer and then there is another "mahamandal" for peace. What a beautiful sentiment - Shiva, presented this way is the original environmentalist!! I salute the writer of this episode. I have been struck by many such instances in the episodes when Shiva talks about theology, peace, the environment, vairagya. 

Please take the good from this show, and take it for what it is -  an offering/adaptation of the Shiva story, which will join the infinite others that already exist. Don't become militant about canon or demand a linear narrative - linear narratives are impossible in Hindu mythology anyway.

Paddy
bangalores thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6

Mira
since this is ur post i take it as a duty to add my say...actually this is a personal experience and i think it kind of supports the viewers being carried away...so here goes the incident...and though i do not feel guilty about what i did, i do feel a bit ashamed

i have mentioned this before somewhere i am a Christian.
long back i. e before my marriage during the Season of Lent my Parish decided to present a street play to enact the Way Of The cross... so we all gathered in front of the Church were the Crucification was going to take place..we maane my parents my sis and me along with so many other believers. We saw the processsion reaching the place with the person who acted Christ carrying the Cross and as per the scripture he was shown to be Crucified...then  the cross was made to rise from the ground to the stand...the effect was so spectacular that many clapped and i too joined it...along with my mom who is such an ardent Christian... Somebody from the crowd near was scandalised and reminded " see people are clapping when Jesus is crucified."
though i did not feel guilty as my mother did, i was embarassed. it goes without saying that the Church never ventured into another such endeavour after that as i feel the play did defeat the purpose
so though to many DKDM may not be nothing more than a serial, where the love between Mahadev and Shakti is portrayed. got to say this isn't that what is shown in prominance too? what is most important for the makers of the show is TRP ...so is it any wonder that they give the audience what they wish for... romance with a difference... a mythological love story?

the show caught my attention first due to Mohit Raina and the character sketched for Mahadev... 
then came the interest about the incidents and the story of Mahadev...so may be like the one who made that post i too, in my ignorance may think whatever is shown in the show is what had transpired...it is this Forum that corrects my misconceptions.

yet that one post was a bit too insensitive😆... 

okay that was my 2 bit for ur 2 bit😉

whatthewhat thumbnail
Originally posted by: tannipartner

I agree with the gist of the topic, specially mira and vrish both.

Creative liberty is fine, considering the medium which we are sharing. But converting History and mythology to run off the mill love story ain't fine. This happened before with historical shows and  mythological shows . However mytho shows typically stayed within a limit and also there used to be a time frame, they were typically weekly or weekend shows hence, they did not experiment much.

Here however, the focus being the love story the liberty taken is a bit too much at times. 
Recently they tried to incorporate the stories of Lord K and even Lord of the Rings movies in the show. I hope they realise viewers, even when they are young teenagers are not that dumb.

Also the uneasiness in seeing the way some characters are twisted. Vrish has spoken a lot about tarakasura, so i will not elaborate. I will however point out to  Anasuya, chandrama's mother and the way she was potrayed as a simple, ordinary ,even a little bit selfish mother. WHAT was that? Anasuya was famous for her purity and devotion to husband, so much so that she reduced the tridev into her kids. They could have shown that story to show, even Lord Shiva gets beaten at times.

That's very true Tanni...I was surprised by the portrayal of Anasuya...then again look at what they are doing with Mena...they seem to have a rather simplistic understanding of motherhood ...

anyway, at least there are people on the forum who know these things and can post correctives.

In spite of all the creative liberties, i still LOVE the show! DKDM ROCKS!

And while .Vrish. is absolutely right about Tarakasur...I kind of like him a lot...😳 He makes a GREAT VILLAIN!