FF: The Roulette of Envy (Part 12) pg.33/Dec. 7 - Page 20

Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by reimaz

i liked this part 

She backed away, until she felt the cool metal of the shelf touch the back of her knees. And then she couldn't move anymore...

I am too awaiting for more... 

Reimaz,

Even I felt very proud when I wrote that part! Thank you for reading.
Originally posted by Xarina

Great update.  I like the way you are unravelling Agni's story.  I am excited to read more about him.

Awww, Xarina. Thanks buddy! 😃
Lovely and thanks for the pm!!! Pls make ahem super jealous for some reason !!!!
Originally posted by poonamahem

Lovely and thanks for the pm!!! Pls make ahem super jealous for some reason !!!!

I haven't forgotten the title of my FF, Poonam. He will be envious soon enough. Rahiman dhaaga prem ke, mat todo chitkaye...😈😆

Wow, Rach,you are a star⭐️!! you hav just left me hooked!!! amazing, just too good for words!!! I wonder wht Ahem will do to Gopi, probably a little bit of romance, i hope!!

Lets hope Ahem realizes how lucky he is to have a wife like Gopi, haha lol although im a bit too young to be reading these sorts of things, but nothing can stop me as i am a pure gohem fan, inside-out.
Once again, thank you sooo much you've cheered me up on this awful day👏!!!!!

So, Gopi doesnt listen to Ahem and just walks out of the storeroom...omg Rach THAT IS FABULOUS!!!!!!!! And hilarious🤣, she's ignoring him now!! She's giving Ahem a dose of his own medicine, and he deserves it for treating her like that. You've made a good character of Gopi, although this Anita you've made is excellent but she pisses me off in a weird sort of way. Can't wait 4 the next update!! Keep up the excellent work and i can totally see that you've put your 110% in it!!

Edited by princess09 - 11 years ago

Rach, i'm enjoying this green-eyed Ahem and this not-so-shy-anymore Gopi!!! Just fab!!

Part 10

I'm so sorry for this three-month delay, but blame my school and my inability to multitask. I also don't like writing things when my heart's not in it. However, today, I finally searched for this thread and decided that I owed my readers an end. This isn't to say that Part 10 is the last to come. It might be the beginning, actually. We haven't even seen Ahem really turn green!!!! I know Poonam has PMed me more than once to update this and Ruchi has requested the likes too. And of course, Aris is patiently waiting as well. I have finally listened. Have fun and enjoy this read! :D 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recap: Agni meets a hot-headed young woman named Mahua at the orphanage, who not only smites him, but also stimulates his curiosity. He promises Munimji, the orphanage's manager, that he'll be back the day after to inquire about the renovation plans. At the mandir, where the Modi family comes to give thanks to the lord for Rashi's pregnancy, Ahem recalls the entirety of his consummation with Gopi. Rejoicing in his happiness, he waits for Gopi who never comes to the room. Rather, Koki comes instead and asks him to start a family--a conversation Gopi overhears from the hallway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gopi bolted from where she had overheard her Maaji and Ahemji speak towards the gazebo in the garden. Gopi was embarrassed to hear Koki ask him to start a family and right his marriage. Why did Ahemji have to be told such things? Couldn't he do that without anyone else's interference? He didn't even know what happened on Holi. Dejected and at wit's end, Gopi stayed there, leaning her forehead against the corner post, looking battered by the wind and the chilly air. It had started sprinkling, but she remained unbothered.

Agni sat leaning against the headboard of his bed in his room. He was fishing for information. Mahua. He grinned, remembering her eyes that he had likened to fat almonds before.

By the door, Swami stood watching his boss, knowing what was happening. It was for Agni's own good, Swami told himself, that his Saab found himself another interest. Sure, she was a bit rough around the edges and Saab would have to do some pirouettes to convince her, but she was suitable for him. Swami could already see their future: Agni, bored and feeling neglected, tapping her shoulder periodically as she read a magazine; and she, with a knowing smile, slapping his hand away every time in mock irritation and complaining that he bothers her only when he sees her busy. "Swami, why are you looking at me like that?" Agni asked, putting his laptop away. "Kuch nahi, Agni Saab," Swami replied, taking a step towards Agni. "We'll go to the ashram again tomorrow," Agni said before disappearing into the bathroom.

When Gopi still didn't come in another half an hour, Ahem went looking for her. After making inquiries with Jigar and Rashi, he drifted into the terrace from where, he saw Gopi standing in the gazebo. It was raining by now and Ahem, slightly drizzled, went towards her. "Gopi...what are you doing here? I've been looking everywhere for you. Yaha kya kar rahi ho?" he asked, reaching for her hand instinctively. "Kuch nahi, Ahemji," she replied, shrinking away from him. "Mujhe kuch kehna hai," he told her, taking both of her hands into his larger ones. He didn't like that she avoided his gaze, but refrained from commenting. It might push her away even further. "Why are you here alone?" he asked softly, bending his head low near hers. She began to squirm free, but he held on, tightening his hold on her.

Gopi felt her heart slamming against her ribcage as his lips brushed her temple. Was time slowing down for them? Or was she watching herself and Ahemji from above?

When his hands, slightly damp from the rain, curved around her hips, she whirled around from the shock of it, only to feel his lips smiling on her shoulder. "Abhi nahi jaa sakti tum," she heard him mumble into her neck. Her knees were turning into rubber nothings under his ministrations and any second, she feared she would fall into an embarrassing heap at his feet.

Amidst the foreign sensations that he was forcing her to feel, Gopi didn't understand what was happening, didn't understand, where this man, her husband, her Ahemji, had come from. Nor did she know where he had been before. This niggling thought, hidden beneath a mountain of feelings at first, struck the chord of rationale in her mind and she flew open her eyes.

"You have to move your relationship forward." "Why haven't you two progressed your relationship?" "I also want to be a grandmother'don't you think it's time?"

Koki's voice rang in her ears and she shoved Ahem away. He slightly stumbled before righting himself. "Gopi, what happened?" he asked, irritated at her sudden change of mind. Gopi stepped sideways, shaking her head slowly, with tears trailing down her cheeks. She didn't blame him for listening to his mother, but she didn't want their union to be the result of an external instigation. It had to come from him. Only him. She grabbed the sides of her saree and took a step back and then, another one before she raced away. She heard him call her name angrily behind her, but she didn't dare to stop. 

That night, Ahem spent in the study, tossing and turning in an uncomfortable futon. He was frustrated at her and at himself. Why had he made his move before speaking about Holi? Why had she changed her mind so suddenly? He threw his pillow hard, remembering Gopi's torn face, but the plump mass only slouched indignantly against a chair leg.

Agni entered the ashram very early morning. Swami trailed a few paces behind with slumped shoulders. "I know you don't like going anywhere, but at least try to look happy," Agni told him without turning back. "Ji Saab," the manservant replied. Agni was up at five for a change and before the Modis had come down to have breakfast, they had left the house. Swami didn't understand what the rush was about. The girl would still be there if they had come after having breakfast.

The hall, where Agni had met Mahua, looked lonely among the green shrubs. He entered it, hoping that like yesterday, he'd see her again, but it was empty. His voice echoed as he called out for Munimji and when no one answered, Agni went outside. "Saab, it's barely seven. Perhaps we should give them time to get up, dress and have breakfast before--" Swami started before Agni interrupted him. "I told them I would come. Let me check there," Agni replied, pointing to a smaller building about 20 feet away. In the tattered brown sign hanging lopsided on the door, he could make out the word "Administration," written in red paint that had lost the glory of its time. "Munimji, must be here," he told Swami, who was sleepily eying a rickety bench perfect for a morning slumber.  

Mahua, still in her sleeping clothes--a frumpy-looking white salwar kameez--was bent over the plans that Agni Jadeja had left the day before. Munimji had taken one glance at the floor plan and had gushed about it endlessly, forcing her to retire early. Even if his ideas were brilliant, she wouldn't believe it until she saw it for herself. And so, she had woken up extra early to look over The Jadeja's plans. Well, she was actually looking for flaws in his work, for the minutest mistake, the tiniest flaw--anything really--to use in their next encounter.

With no parents and only a sister, Mahua had spent her childhood in the ashram. And under the guidance of a kind-hearted woman, she had learned kathak and then, later on, when her teacher had passed away, took on the position of dance teacher at the ashram. The work earned her free room and board and whatever little she had remaining was put away for her sister's future. She didn't have much, but she was a fighter, unnerved by the tidings set against her. Little by little, she had increased her involvement with the ashram's administrative duties, assisting Munimji where he most needed help. Now, she was helping Munimji with the anticipated renovations. Mahua wanted everything to be righted, so as to provide the best sense of security possible for those who had shaky beginnings like herself.

She was so engrossed in the floor plans that Agni's soft raps at the door went unheard in her ears. And when Agni opened the door, the vision in front made him chuckle loudly--Mahua's small and round rump as she leaned over the desk with her chin placed atop her folded hands. "And a good morning to you too," he said, still chuckling and hopelessly trying to control his bubbling laughter, which threatened to unleash itself. Mahua spun around, flustered and turning red  with embarrassment. She knew exactly what part of her he had greeted. Furious at his incorrigible and ungentlemanly behavior, she gave him a glare. It was the best weapon she had at the moment since the rest of her looked pitiful. She should have dressed first, she chided herself silently. "Can you please call Munimji?" he asked her politely, even though his twinkling eyes betrayed his tone. Without a word, Mahua marched away.

When Munimji came, ten minutes later, Agni was waiting patiently. "Mr. Jadeja? Aap hai? Mahua ne kaha ki doodhwala aaya hai toh...please forgive me. That girl!" Munimji swatted his hand in the air. "I can never tell when she's joking or when she's serious," he added, motioning for Agni to sit down as he busied himself with collecting the scattered plans. "I'm sorry, I'm early," Agni told him. They discussed the floor plans and the details for the renovations. At nearly the end of their discussion, Mahua returned. She had tidied up, Agni noticed at once. She, from across the room, noticed that he wasn't wearing a suit today. "Suit ki kami toh nahi padi aapko?" she asked, narrowing her eyes. Munimji coughed uncomfortably, hoping Mahua wouldn't say something he'd have to apologize for like yesterday. "Here you go," Agni said as he handed her a business card. "It's my eye doctor's number. Munimji was saying something about you needing an eye check. He'll fix you right up!" Agni told her most seriously, even as his eyes twinkled with mischief. "Munimji--" Mahua began, but the elder man hushed her quiet. "The plan looks excellent," Munimji told Agni. "Then, I'll start talking with the contractors soon," Agni replied. He was in the middle of a conversation still when his cell phone rang.

Ahem stared at the newspaper in front of him. In the gossip section, the tabloids had printed a picture of him and Anita embracing. It was a picture from Mumbai. And a scumbag who had nothing better to do besides raising speculation had unleashed attacks on Ahem as if fighting a personal war. The article mentioned Ahem's past relationship with Anita and raised questions about his marriage's unstable beginnings. He had married on the rebound after breaking up with Anita Shroff*, agreeing to an arranged marriage suddenly to a girl of no name or family. The writer had raised the following questions: Was he having an affair with his ex-girlfriend? Had he stashed her as his mistress in Mumbai? An anonymous witness admitted that Ahem was seen with Anita at the party and that his wife was nowhere to be seen by him. The writer also questioned Ahem's credibility, asking whether such a loose-moralled man was capable of running a business. "Who's to say how a man, who is busy satisfying his baser desires, can be trusted with so much responsibility?" the author speculated.    

At the MM, the phone hadn't stopped ringing since early morning and at first, when Koki had answered, she had no idea of what was printed in the paper until Jigar came across the snippet too. The photo explained everything Gopi hadn't told her--the reason she had been unable to keep her promise and the disparaging gap between her and Ahem. Koki had immediately asked Ahem about it, but he said it was all a misunderstanding. He was at the wrong place at the wrong time, he told her. Koki believed him and so did the family, but there was no way to stop wagging tongues.

Gopi, on the other hand, remained quiet throughout the ordeal. She caught Ahemji looking her way now and then, as if to reassure her, but she was quick to avert her gaze. What could she say anyway? She'd seen him there and he hadn't explained much in Mumbai. There was nothing.

They had barely spoken to each other since the gazebo episode and she had tried to avoid him at all costs.

Agni left the ashram in a hurry after receiving Ahem's call. And at the Modi House, Koki suggested that they speak to the writer and ask him to retract his statements and also apologize. Chirag suggested that they ignore it until the whirlwind died down. Parag agreed with Chirag. Jigar wondered why they would point fingers at Ahem, when he was an established and well-reputed businessman. While the other Modis debated, Agni watched Gopi slowly walk away back into the kitchen. The poor woman, he thought to himself. "We can't ask him to apologize. He is only speculating and also, the press has the freedom to publish anything,"** Agni told everyone. This quieted them down, even though Koki wasn't too happy about it.  

Agni didn't wait for them to agree. He knew they would. Eventually. Such things would be quickly forgotten, but Agni had another plan. Before the renovations began with full speed and before he'd have to give the ashram his complete attention, he wanted to fix what his friend couldn't.

Upstairs, Ahem was trying to figure a way out of the media frenzy. "You know, your reputation is slightly in question now," Agni told Ahem, entering the bedroom without knocking. "Why is everyone questioning my marriage?" Ahem asked, sitting down on a chair. "Maybe it's because you haven't done a good job of showing others that yours is a good marriage," Agni replied thoughtfully. "Maybe what you need to do is end their speculation. Give them the answers they are desperately looking for," he added in his persuasion. "I don't discuss my personal life. And this was just one article," Ahem retorted, slightly unnerved as he realized that even Gopi was thrust into the spotlight because of him.

Agni didn't persuade Ahem further, but he did follow Ahem to the office that same day. He knew he had to make his moves slyly, so that Ahem wouldn't be suspicious of him.

Despite having an MBA degree, Ahem was thickheaded at times. How Ahem managed to keep a wife who was yearning only for his love so miserable was beyond Agni's comprehension!

Agni sat opposite Ahem in the office, fiddling on his phone, but really, he was paying attention to his friend. Ahem had already started working, as if nothing had happened that morning. On the desk, Agni noticed a pile of invitations. Some--the ones Ahem had rejected upon sight--were torn and put in a different pile. Casually, Agni flipped through the remaining envelopes and put them back on the desk. "I'm bored," Agni said, when Ahem didn't look up. "Don't you have any work to do?" Ahem asked, still paying more attention to his laptop. "I'm on vacation. Hey, what's this?" Agni asked, picking up the invitations again and acting as if he saw them for the first time. "Are these invitations to parties? Chalo chalte hai!" he said, rummaging through the envelopes quickly. "You know that I don't like parties," Ahem replied sternly. "We used to...in our college days," Agni reminded him like a sulking child and stood up. "Plus, we'll all go," he added. He wanted the League sans Anita to go somewhere together. "Nahi, I don't think so. Have you forgotten what happened this morning? It was a party that got me into this mess in the first place!" Ahem exclaimed, standing up also. "Yes, but this time, Gopiji will be with you," Agni replied softly.

That was what changed Ahem's mind. She hadn't said much to him ever since their encounter in the gazebo. Perhaps if they'd spend some time away from home, she would come closer to him.

I hope I haven't given away my master plan! Agni's motive now is to repair Gohem's relationship.

EDIT: I have to keep Gohem in misery for some time, readers! Also, it's good to have some sexual tension between them. Itna asaani se nahi hoga, c-o-n-s-u-m-m-a-t-i-o-n mere FF mein! 😉

Things to ponder about: What will happen at this party? Will Gopi even agree to go with Ahem? How is he to convince her? Does Mahua and Agni's tete-a-tete have room for something more? Agni's "good public relations" mantra + his quest to bring Gohem closer = ?   

*I'm guessing that her last name was Shroff, unless my hopeless memory has failed me.      

**I don't know the rules about the press in India, but let's just assume they have the right to publish anything. I know it's not true for some situations *coughs* British Royals :P

Don't forget to "like" or comment. I care more for the comments, both good and bad!!! 😆  Edited by RachP - 11 years ago
Ok I don't know where I was when you started this FF because I have missed it completely!!! You're already on the 6th part yet I've only just seen it!!

Can't read it right now - catching up on a month's worth of Saathiya!! But I will be reading this as soon as I have a chance to!!
Thank u sweetie !!! Very nice update ... !!! Really wanna know what happened next !!