FF: The Roulette of Envy (Part 12) pg.33/Dec. 7 - Page 7

Posted: 11 years ago
Very well written... Think ahem really really needs this !!! Keep it up pls and update jaldi jaldi!!!!!

Beautiful update with a jealous Ahemji. Good. Will be waiting for next part.
Racha,
Just caught up with your FF. I am loving this jeleous Ahemji. He is roaring like a lion inside. I hope that lion comes out soon for Anita and not Gopi. Make the best out of Agni, and you can get that roar out of Ahemji soon LOL.

So long have I waited to see a jeleous Ahemji. Thank you for fulfilling my wish. Please update soon. πŸ˜ƒ

Part 4

Recap: Ahem simmers in anger as he watches Agni and Gopi have an innocent chat about Swami and visiting Himanchal Pradesh. Meanwhile, Anita continues to pester Ahem by lavishing her attention solely on him. Upon returning to the MM, Ahem, in a fit of misunderstood jealousy, jerks the shawl that Agni had given Gopi off of her.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Why are you still wearing this shawl inside? It's not that cold anymore" he spat. As if the shawl was a rag fit for dusting, Ahem threw it callously to the floor. He turned around and then stormed to the bathroom, taking the towel Gopi had brought with her for him.  

Gopi sadly watched him leave and then, knelt to pick up the shawl. She knew that he didn't like a messy room. Even if it was he who'd thrown the shawl to the floor, she knew it would bother him just as much when he came out after changing. She hadn't bothered saying anything because he wouldn't listen. He didn't understand that he needed to explain why he thought that their marriage was a mistake. Hadn't she done everything from her side? Hadn't she given him what little she had? Even after he didn't remember their consummation, she hadn't complained. It had been like a gimlet to her heart. Yet she had dusted herself up and kept on loving him.

(Note: A gimlet is like this screw-topped thing that is used to drill holes🀒) 

As she grabbed the shawl, she heard the bathroom door open and looked up. Ahem moved slowly towards her and then, knelt by her, pulling the shawl from her hands. "I'll take care of this for you, Gopi" he told her in a chilling voice.

Ahem took the shawl with him into the bathroom, leaving Gopi befuddled. He placed the shawl in the hamper and then, stared at himself in the mirror. Being unable to understand his wife's aloofness was driving him up the wall. Hadn't he apologized already? He shouldn't have said that his marriage was a mistake. Yet they were both very different people. It usually wasn't obvious, but sometimes, this difference sprung upon him like a jack-in-the-box. She didn't know how to socialize with his colleagues. She hadn't lived her youth like he had--in college, with friends and with aspirations.

She was also upset that she was giving her 100% into their marriage and he wasn't. She even thought that all his time was spent on Anita. Doesn't Gopi realize that Anita needs support from everyone at a time like this? He recalled what she had said:  

I know you loved her and I also know that you wanted to marry her, but you didn't marry her. You married me...With hatred-filled eyes, you tortured me every step of the way and I said nothing! I just tolerated it, hoping that you'd change one day. You have changed Ahemji, but for what? To slog for Anita?...It's too late for that, Ahemji. It has already become a mountain in between us.

He smiled wryly at his reflection. And here, all this time, he thought that he was making amends to every wrong from the past. Hadn't he acknowledged her as his wife? Gave her the rights to organize his closet like she wanted to? Let her touch his things? Let her sleep on the bed? Hadn't he treated her with respect and kindness? It wasn't just her who was working hard in their marriage. He was doing his part, too.   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following morning, Agni and Swami were in the living room. Swami stood waiting on Agni who was on the phone. "Email it when you get a chance, Dad. Yes, yes, tell Mom, he's right here--only two feet away from me" he said laughing. After he hung up, Agni turned to Swami and said, "I don't think they'll ever stop, Swami." Swami calmly said, "Saab, you're their only son. I'd worry too."

Gopi placed a tea tray on the coffee table for Agni and Swami and saw that Ahem was coming downstairs briskly. He looked morose, she realized.

Koki was setting the breakfast table as Ahem came down. "Main office jaa raha hoon," Ahem told no one in particular. Gopi hurried, placing the pallu over her head, wanting to stop him. She managed to catch up to him by the door. "Ahemji, won't you have breakfast? It's ready at the breakfast table--" Ahem's thoughts from the previous night still hovered in his mind. To top it off, he had also seen her place Agni's tea on the coffee table. His temper threatened to burst as he tried to control it. Although she had brought him his green tea that morning as well, he couldn't digest the fact that she was tending to Agni too. Didn't they have Meethi for that? In uncontrolled irritation, he said, "I'm not hungry, but don't worry about me. Ask Agni if he'd like breakfast."     

Agni eyed their exchange from the living room. He took a step towards them. "Ahem, I'll come with you too. It's important" he added. "I can't. We can talk later" Ahem told him, but Agni reinstated that it was important.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the way to the office, Agni wanted to broach the topic of Ahem's marriage. He didn't want to ask Ahem for permission. He had a hunch that Ahem would shut him out if he asked. It was like him to keep his thoughts and feelings to himself, Agni thought. Sometimes he even wondered how Ahem had managed to date Anita for so long. Had he been just as quiet with her too? With Anita being such a chatterbox, even the most talkative man would have to shut his trap in accommodation.

"Why don't you try spending some time alone with her?" he mentioned casually. Ahem gave Agni a sideways glance and then, pulled over.

What was Agni implying? Did Gopi tell him something?

Ahem leaned against the seat's headrest and sighed, saying, "Whatever she's told you, you need to hear my side first." And so, Ahem told Agni everything about how he met Anita again, how her marriage broke because of a misunderstanding, how his mother brought Anita into the MM, and how Anita had become so fragile mentally that he had to pose as Nilesh to keep her pacified. He even told Agni about what happened at the party and about how he yelled at Gopi after, for not socializing with anyone. "She's never been the same after that," he said quietly and then added, "I've tried apologizing, but she threw the kitchen sink at me with the past and didn't forgive me. I don't have to explain that Anita is my past. She should know that by now."  

Agni thought for a minute or so before he said, "Have you told her that she doesn't have to worry? I'd tell her. I'm not an expert when it comes to women--I hardly know them very well by the time they realize that I'm not in for the long haul--but I'll still say that you should try spending some time alone with her." Ahem felt stupid for not thinking about Agni's suggestion first. "Where do I take her?" he asked, somewhat baffled.
In his room, Jigar was at his desk, working on a presentation. Chirag had entrusted him to prepare a presentation and he didn't want to let his father down. Meanwhile, Rashi rummaged through the closet, looking for a sewing kit. Jigar turned around from his seat after hearing Rashi shuffling things here and there and said, "It's okay, baba. You don't have to do this. I don't mind it either way." A button on Jigarji's kurta had loosened and she was hell-bent upon sewing it back on. He had asked her not to stress herself about it several times because he knew that she didn't know how to thread a needle, let alone sew a button. Yet she continued to be adamant about it. "I want to do this, Jigarji" she told him, without turning or stopping. He smiled and then, went back to working. Rashi stooped low to open the last drawer in her closet, but then straightened up suddenly when a wave of dizziness came over her.  
Ahem dropped Agni off at a law firm, where Agni wanted to meet some of his lawyer acquaintances and then, went to work. There, Chirag informed Ahem about a weekend-long conference in Mumbai that had to be attended by him. To Ahem, it seemed like a perfect idea. He'd take Gopi with him and then, as she would spend more time with him, she'd return back to her old self. Hadn't she been distant like this around Holi too? Within a day, he had managed to change her mind by wearing her favorite colored shirt and apologizing to her. He'd do the same again. Small things would make her happy and she'd forget about Anita. He also wouldn't have to explain himself anymore than he wanted to.  

During dinner, Ahem asked Koki about taking Gopi with him to Mumbai. Koki, however, wasn't too keen on letting Gopi go with Ahem for so long, that too on a business trip, where Ahem would spend most of his time working. "I don't think it's a good idea. You'll be busy. From where will you get time to spend with Gopi?" she told him calmly when he asked, and then added, "What will she do alone while you're working? Gopi won't go." Ahem looked at Gopi, but wasn't able to read her face. He decided to ask her himself, "Gopi, do you want to come with me?" Gopi looked at Koki and then at him, saying "No, Ahemji. It's better if I don't go. You'll be busy working and I don't want to be a distraction. And plus, Maaji is right. You'll work all day and you'll be tired after work."

Agni was an attentive spectator in the interplay. The plan of Ahem spending time with Gopi was fast becoming one big flop. "Gopiji, are you sure? It's an opportunity for you to step out of Rajkot. So what if it's not Himachal Pradesh?" he grinned. She shook her head. Agni watched Ahem as he excused himself.

Anita watched the scene from the foyer.

By the time Gopi went to her room, Ahem had started to pack. She closed the door and then offered to help, which he declined coldly. "I'll do it myself. Thanks" he added without any emotion. Gopi saw him struggle to find his things and several times, she tried to help, but his drawn face stopped him. She retreated back into a corner, turning so that he wouldn't see her tears.

Ahem winced as his fingers slipped from the suitcase's zip and hit the metal part of it. Gopi was immediately by his side, but he pulled his hand away. "Why so concerned now, Gopi?" he barked. Gopi flinched. He added, "I'm fine. I'll be fine."

Gopi tried to explain, "Ahemji, I refused to go because I didn't want to--," but he didn't let her finish. Instead of saying anything, he zipped up the suitcase and placed it by the door. Without caring that she stood frozen in the middle of the room, he turned the lights off and went to sleep on the sofa. In the dark, Gopi made her way to the bed and then, laid down. She would've told him that she wanted to be with him, but she honestly didn't want to distract him from his work. Recalling how Koki had been so upset when Gopi and Ahemji were helping Rashi and Jigar patch up, made Gopi even more hesitant about going with him. Why hadn't he let her finish? Determined to talk to him before he left, Gopi shut her eyes. She'd make sure that he knew her reasons for staying back. However, the next morning, he left for Mumbai without saying goodbye. By the time she had finished helping make breakfast, he had come down and then, left with Jigar for the airport.
Rashi walked through the hallway quietly pondering. Nowadays, it seemed as if she was getting tired easily. If she stood up suddenly or descended the stairs too quickly, she felt dizzy. She saw Gopi busy in her room and made her way there. Her younger sister never stopped working, Rashi thought. If she'd do even two-thirds of what Gopi did every day, she'd be exhausted. And right now, she felt tired even when she hadn't done much since the morning. She knocked and then, when Gopi smiled, entered. "What are you doing?" Rashi asked and then, continued "Gopi, why didn't you go with Ahemjiju? He wanted you to be with him in Mumbai. When you refused, his face fell. Couldn't you tell?" Saddened by the mention of Ahem, Gopi said, "I would be a bother to him, Rashiben. He is going to Mumbai for business."
Anita entered the kitchen, where Koki and Hetal were preparing lunch. One of her friends had invited her over for a couple of days and Anita wanted to go. Both Koki and Hetal objected, but then, thinking she'd get some mental respite with the support of a close friend, they agreed.

With her phone in tow, Anita made her way near the front door to book a flight to Mumbai. She wouldn't get another opportunity like this and she wasn't going to lose it.

What she hadn't realized was that Agni had heard her speak to the travel agent. Agni didn't want Anita there, alone with Ahem. There was enough trouble in Ahem's marriage because of her. He tapped Anita's shoulder, startling her. "Hello" he said smiling. She was wary of him at first, but then, when he asked her for Swami, she relaxed. "I'll be back. I have to speak to Swami" he promised.

The first thing Agni did was go upstairs. He paused at the threshold of Gopi and Ahem's room and knocked. He didn't want to step inside, but thankfully, Rashi was already there with Gopi. Both were looking tensed. "Agniji, you..." Gopi's voice trailed away as she figured out what to say to him.

Agni's face softened when he saw Gopi being so careful of propriety. If he could picture her thoughts that moment, he knew it would be like watching the shimmering surface of a lake on a moonlit night--forever changing, but still unyielding. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phew! It's done! I must first thank you all for reading my production. God knows, I wouldn't be half as motivated without your comments and encouragement.

In Part 4, we have Ahem turning inward. We see that Gopi's every action is interpreted wrongly by him because he is seeing it with a fixed mindset. Gopi, however, isn't holding onto just one string. She's upset at him, but she still cares for him just as much.

Questions to ponder about: Will Agni be a successful mediator between Gopi and Ahem? With Gopi still in Rajkot, what will happen as Anita arrives in Mumbai to be with Ahem?

Edited by RachP - 11 years ago
Originally posted by abbay

Lovely update dear!!1 

Bada tez padhti hai! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Originally posted by RachP

Bada tez padhti hai! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

I started bfore u send me pm!!!!!πŸ˜‰
Originally posted by abbay

I started bfore u send me pm!!!!!πŸ˜‰

I knew it! 🀣 I saw some mistakes and I was editing it, so didn't send PM until a little later.
Amazing part Rucha. I hope Agni can change Ahem's fixed mindset.