Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BizzyLizzy thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
I quite loved how Sameer's suicide attempt was tied up to so many different plotlines...it helps break a very solid wall that Meenakshi and Akshat have built between themselves, it allows Karishma to reveal that despite her dislike of Sameer she can still feel pain at what happened to him and it allows Angad to see a side of her that she's reluctant to show, it helps us see why DC relates so much to Sameer's situation (I knew those slightly shaken expressions you see on DC's face whenever Sameer explains his POV weren't just a figment of my imagination! ðŸ˜†). 

The Meenakshi of the past maybe would have handed that trust on a platter, but she's at a point where she tends to overdo the one thing she thinks she lacks, which is a certain guarded stance that she now exercises especially with Akshat. I guess  that makes it terrifically easy for her to miss the context of Akshat's own actions and belief system. She knows that winning is important for Akshat, but she doesn't know of the years of frustration a good dancer has to go through when he's relegated to the background time and again. Similarly, Akshat, like Karishma, hardened himself enough to not trust his own partners (except maybe Angad),  and then blame them for not following his lead. 

I think Akshat's own advice probably springs from his realisation of how much his words had really affected Sameer...I mean, look at Akshat's Kolaveri dance with Angad, and then his dance with Sameer at the technicals. With Angad he shares a certain cameraderie which sparkles in their dance together, but what has he instilled in Sameer except fear? For the most part he had decided from the beginning that Sameer would prove himself a failure -- that in itself shows you the lack of trust he had in his own partner.  If anything, I think Akshat's own advice was as much a revelation to him as it was to Meenakshi, and it included both of them putting their guard down and letting go, which is  what dance is really all about.

One of the other reasons I love this scene so much is that it sorta mirrors one of my favourite scenes from a dance movie I love, Dirty Dancing, where the dance instructor often tells the heroine that she needs to trust him for a move that requires her to run across the room and jump in his arms for a lift. It's not just a technical sense of balance that's required, it's her ability to trust him enough to know that he will not let her fall. Unless you trust your partner and allow them the space to make their mistakes and grow, there's no way one can ever reach that level of comfort in dancing. I'm glad the pair of them realised that ðŸ˜Š
Edited by BizzyLizzy - 11 years ago