Sati & Drapuadi - Women scorned, changed history!

-Srushti- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 11 years ago
Mein aa gai😛

And first the DISCLAIMER: I have absolutely miniscule knowledge of the scriptures and my post may be ignored as the blabber of an ignorant person😛 Me MUDHMATI😳
So finally, after so many weeks I caught up with an episode and as the whole of the forum is raving about, me too happy shappy with Mata Sati finally emerging in her true form!!
But somehow this reminded me of an similarly epic incident, the incident which changed and wrote the fate of Mahabharat!!

Sati addresssing the assembly in general and the whole assembly, sitting helplessly and hopelessly reminded me how Draupadi had addressed a similarly helpless and hopeless assembly...
And it was then I started drawing parellals...!!!
Sati and Draupadi were 'boon' daughters...Daksh had done many yagyas for having Aadishakti as his daughter, So had Drupad, he had performed Yagya...although his yagya was for a son, Draupadi was born out of the same yagnya.
Sati emolated herself in the Yagna fire where as Draupadi was born out of one.
Sati was brought into this world for the reunion of the eternal lovers...as in Shiva and his Aadishakti...whereas Draupadi was brought into this world for taking a life, Drupad wanted to kill Drona and it was that wish that had given birth to Draupadi...
Both women chose their husbands in a Swamwar and it was there they invited the wrath of their wrong doers. Sati invited the wrath of Daksha and Draupadi had injured the mega ego of Duryodhana and Karna...
It was Sati's pride and 'streehath' which made her go to Daksh's yagnya and set loose the whole chain of events...where as it was Draupadi's pride and hateful words which had set lose the chain of events which had led to the
dyutkreeda...

The most interesting part for me was their address to the assemblies...Those were powerful addresses...showing us the true face of society and drawing strong parellals between the then and today's society...the silence of the people who could have stopped this...when in the end the woman gets blamed for every war and every bad thing, is it not the responsibility of every man who sat on the throne and had authority in hands to stop the calamity, when they could...Was Pitamah Brahma right in saying that he could not have done anything to Daksha as he had delegated the responsibilities and he now only had advisory powers??
can Dhitrashtra plead that he has no power over his son as he was blind?? Can Vishnu not do anything nothing because he had pledged his alliance to protect Dakhsa...Was Pitahmah Bhishma right in saying that he had his loyalties towards the throne and hence he cannot say anything against the throne...??
we had both women fighting for their honour...putting and questioning th society on their ridiculous rituals...can Shiv be insulted in this manner and can Sati be punished for marrying Shiv? Can Draupadi be insulted in this manner and can she be put to gamble in this manner??
the address and the questions but before them were actually reflecting the fate of the women in a society..eventhough they were more respected then, than the medieval ages, it was apparent that these women stood out and made the world realize that a woman scorned can invite the wrath of the Gods, ON the Gods...

Sati's self immolation resulted into the biggest destruction of the age, destroying the biggest Yagnya to have taken place...Killing of hundreds of Gods and Demi Gods and beheading of the Prajapti himself...Draupadi's insult resulted into the biggest war of the history...killing lacs and all hundred sons of Dhutrashtra ...and crippling (and later death) of Duryodhan himself...

Such sad but learning history we have...but am proud of these women..who did not take it head down...but set an example...of what excess of Arrogance (Daksha) and Excess of greed (Duryodhana) can do!!!
Interestingly, Both women started a ritual which was unique in their own way...Sati pratha is known by Sati' self immolation act and Draupadi actually was probably the rare woman in history to have more than one husbands...

P.s. I repeat the disclaimer😛😆

Edited by -Srushti- - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Wonderful analysis but Ma sati is AdiSakthi ,whereas Draupathi is a special human ,she has  a much powerful place in the history and its turning point ,
Where sati changed the fates of GOd 
Here Draupathi changed fates of entire Royality of that Age .
here Sati immolates herself and punished devatas ,but later her son karthick relased them
where Draupathi lost all her sons in battle and remained alive to watch the destructions of evils .

Indeed they both are unstoppable women in curse of  our universe 
-Srushti- thumbnail

Originally posted by: vanadhi

Wonderful analysis but Ma sati is AdiSakthi ,whereas Draupathi is a special human ,she has  a much powerful place in the history and its turning point ,

Where sati changed the fates of GOd 
Here Draupathi changed fates of entire Royality of that Age .
here Sati immolates herself and punished devatas ,but later her son karthick relased them
where Draupathi lost all her sons in battle and remained alive to watch the destructions of evils .

Indeed they both are unstoppable women in curse of  our universe 

Hi Vanadhi...

Good Point👏 Draupadi is indeed more impactful as she is human and she changed history...she was one of the rare women who bounded Krishan (that is what HE said😆) ...There are both inverse and similar parellals...as I said about the reasons of their birth and all...but both had great tempers which even frightened their husbands at times, that is for sure😆
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

Very good analysis Srushti👏

Devi Purans have one thing commen among them that is Mahakaali. Sati had taken the form of Mahakaali before going to Daksh's yagya she was very well divine only since birth.
In one of the kalpas Shivji & Shakti were Radha & Krishna respectivly. Daraupadi was also one of the ansh of Mahakaali.
In Mahabharat Krishna had told Bheem once Draupadi is born to reduce the burdan of sinners from Earth. That's why she was one of the main reason for the Kurukshetra war.
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Drupad wanted to kill Drona and it was that wish that had given birth to Draupadi...

Actually, Drupada wanted a son who could kill Drona, and that son was Dhrishtadyumna.  When Draupadi was born, it was decreed that she'd cause the destruction of the Kauravas, but it was unclear that Drupada wanted that as well.

Point being, Drupada was defeated by Arjun, but his bitterness was towards Drona for setting Arjun on him, not on the Pandavas themselves.  Having received Draupadi, he decided to forge a matrimonial alliance w/ the Pandavas, and by doing that, they became his allies.  Of course, that doesn't mean that had he gone to war w/ Drona, they'd have fought for him - they probably wouldn't have, but since Drona chose to fight on the Kaurava side against the Pandavas, that gave Drupada the opportunity he wanted to have himself on the same side of the Pandavas in a war against Drona.

On the above comparison, however, although I'm no fan of Daksha, I do think there is a difference.  Daksha had held an yagna w/o inviting either Shiva or Sati, and was minding his own business - it was Sati who went there against Shiva's advice - something she regretted.  However, in Draupadi's case, it was the Pandavas who were involuntarily invited for the game of dice, and Yudhisthir who gambled her, and Dushashan who dragged her, and Dhritarashtra just allowed that to happen.  So those 2 are not the same - while Daksha did nothing to force Sati to come there and get insulted, Dhritarashtra implicitly did, by not punishing Dushashan or anyone else.

So bad as Daksha was, equating him w/ Dhritarashtra is being grossly unfair to the former.
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
love youre topic srusthi..infact the beauty of our scriptures is that woman are always potrayed to be strong and brave-contrarary to what people concive women to be-Shakti is a woman-a female
be it Sita,Sati,Parvati,Draupadi our woman have always been shown to be strong...
loved youre anyalysis!...

-Srushti- thumbnail

Originally posted by: mnx12

Very good analysis Srushti👏

Devi Purans have one thing commen among them that is Mahakaali. Sati had taken the form of Mahakaali before going to Daksh's yagya she was very well divine only since birth.
In one of the kalpas Shivji & Shakti were Radha & Krishna respectivly. Daraupadi was also one of the ansh of Mahakaali.
In Mahabharat Krishna had told Bheem once Draupadi is born to reduce the burdan of sinners from Earth. That's why she was one of the main reason for the Kurukshetra war.

Oh I always learn something new from you Minaxi...I never knew about Draupadi being an ansh of Mahakaali...but her temper had indeed the wrath of a Mahakali...Draupadi truly did bring down the sinners...
-Srushti- thumbnail

Actually, Drupada wanted a son who could kill Drona, and that son was Dhrishtadyumna.  When Draupadi was born, it was decreed that she'd cause the destruction of the Kauravas, but it was unclear that Drupada wanted that as well.
Hey Vrish..I know he wanted a son and Draupadi came along with it...I have already mentioned that...my point is that she was born out of wish to kill Drona...As to the prediction of her causing the destruction of Kaurava..i have no idea😆
Point being, Drupada was defeated by Arjun, but his bitterness was towards Drona for setting Arjun on him, not on the Pandavas themselves.  Having received Draupadi, he decided to forge a matrimonial alliance w/ the Pandavas, and by doing that, they became his allies.  Of course, that doesn't mean that had he gone to war w/ Drona, they'd have fought for him - they probably wouldn't have, but since Drona chose to fight on the Kaurava side against the Pandavas, that gave Drupada the opportunity he wanted to have himself on the same side of the Pandavas in a war against Drona.
Yup that was the politics of that time..creating alliances through marriages..I think that was one thing which Krishna had told Arjuna and set him off for Bharat Bhramana...

On the above comparison, however, although I'm no fan of Daksha, I do think there is a difference.  Daksha had held an yagna w/o inviting either Shiva or Sati, and was minding his own business - it was Sati who went there against Shiva's advice - something she regretted.  However, in Draupadi's case, it was the Pandavas who were involuntarily invited for the game of dice, and Yudhisthir who gambled her, and Dushashan who dragged her, and Dhritarashtra just allowed that to happen.  So those 2 are not the same - while Daksha did nothing to force Sati to come there and get insulted, Dhritarashtra implicitly did, by not punishing Dushashan or anyone else.

So bad as Daksha was, equating him w/ Dhritarashtra is being grossly unfair to the former.Ummm... I think there is some confusion ...I have not drawn any parallel between Dhitrashtra and Daksh..I have put two women born in different times and their power to change histories...And even If I am drawing Parellals..I would draw a parellal between Daksha and Duryondhana..the only common thing being they were the reason for the particular incidents...in this case ...Shiva's insult and Sati's selfimmolation and in the other case Draupadi's Cheer Haran and her pledges..but as I said...Not other similarities between them..Daksh is Daksh and Duryodhan is Duryodhan...nothing common except 'D'😆 Thanks for the comment..wonderful knowledge I have gained😳

Kal El thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I just mentioned the same thing in the other thread. There were definite parallels between Drauapadi and Sati in this last episode with the way they addressed the assembly, the elders/gods, etc in vain. The way the elders/gods could not (or did not) help her because of their boons/vows and rules and all, putting them in a questionable position.

It's interesting. One was born out of yagya fire, the other ended her life in it and both incidents led to utter destruction. 
-Srushti- thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruti.nil

love youre topic srusthi..infact the beauty of our scriptures is that woman are always potrayed to be strong and brave-contrarary to what people concive women to be-Shakti is a woman-a female

be it Sita,Sati,Parvati,Draupadi our woman have always been shown to be strong...
loved youre anyalysis!...

Hey Shruti...Women are indeed strong in our scriptures..that is why they are the forms of 'Shakti' ..Unfortunately later on with the medieval ages, they were blamed to be the root causes of all fights...
so many sayings ' Jar, Joru, Jamin' 'Dhol Gawar Shudra Pashu aur nari sab tadan ke adhikari'
Imagine..the women who were worshiped were then compared to animals and dhol!! What pity!!