Discussion: So... Why do YOU read?

Posted: 11 years ago
We all read for different reasons. The most common one is of course it's a great way to spend some free time. Research has clearly shown tons of benefits of reading regularly so that's a no-brainer.

But I want to know if anyone has any specific reasons for being an avid reader? 

For example, for me, it's a great way to escape from reality. When I'm reading a novel, I get so immersed in it that the fictional world starts to feel real. And I love that experience.  Stories make me believe that everything is possible. :)

So.. why do you read? 
To satisfy my insatiable curiosity, to broaden my perspective and to escape from the stressful mundanity of everyday life.

~Why do I Read?? Hmm,I'm a well experienced NATIONAL MAGAZINE Writer who is becoming Docter and loves to read ALL types of Luv story,NOVEL,ROMANTIC,INSPIRATIONAL etc etc list is long!
~REASON- Becoz Books are Best Friends and I enjoy and Learn new everyday by Reading! Its my curiousity! ENJOY!
I started reading for killing time but then i thought books are friends and more , there were times when i avoided every one and was in depression , all i needed was books to read and wasnt willing to talk to any one , i read mostly crime but yet i love to read there are all i can ask for apart buddies 

wenever m depressed, bored dont want to talk to nyone juz b myself n want to b alone i read buks...coz really its a great way to forget all ur worries n enter into a diff world where nobody is dere to bother u...u r on ur own...😊 

buks r great friends...nobody or no one can match dem...!!!

same here, i read to escape from reality and to know more about other people..i mean there are so many different stories, different countries, different people, different situations and circumstances..so its like a totally new world every time... i mainly read love stories...even though they are far far away from reality but still it feels good to read them and dream about them...
i think too much about everything, started readin cause of the craze of Alchemist and got a pirated copy for myself. from there to now - i read mainly as a means of escapism. no worries and no thinking too much
Reading  made me what I am now... I need to read to exist...
I read for entertainment. Sometimes when I feel television serials bores me, I just open the book and read it. Any books that hook me, I just love it. So no specification for my liking towards books.
I can't really express properly why I read as much as I do. I just know that I wouldn't be myself if reading weren't an integral part of my life.