Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 6

Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 3 Page 6

bulls-eye

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 08 June 2012 at 6:14am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

PCRocks

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "50 Shades of Grey (Page 2)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

spiritcrimson

IF-Sizzlerz

spiritcrimson

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 11 June 2012 at 1:15pm | IP Logged
I have heard mixed reviews for the book.

But the main turn off is that it was a Twilight fanfic. So, no to that.

And I've read excerpts from the book here and there, and the writing is utter crap. Honestly, I would not recommend it at all. It's pathetically written. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

janeniroopaGudakesha

bulls-eye

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 27 June 2012 at 4:30pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged
So after listening to some friends going on and on about how much they loved it and some saying they hated it, I finally decided to read the first one to make my own opinion on it.  I finished reading the first book last night.

I feel like the story had some potential.. It could've been great but it wasn't developed as well as it should have been.  I wanted to know what happens ahead but I didn't want to read through it. So I skipped some (many passages) and what's something I never do.  

And I can think of 3 reasons why it didn't work for me:

1) The writing is horrible.  You can clearly see that the writer is not an established or an experienced one.  The style just doesn't work for me, and makes the narrator sort of one-dimensional & awkward for me. I just did not connect with Ana.

2) These days most of the novels you read have some sex involved.  It seemed like in this book, the story was wrapped around the sex instead of the other way around. Which might work for hormone-raging teenagers, but honestly just doesn't work for me.  Even when they're not actually doing it, Ana's thinking about it. 

3) I got it that Christian is beautiful, has a great body etc. etc. the first time Ana said it. I also got it the second time she said it.  I definitely got it the third time she said it. Yet she says it 589 times more. After awhile, it gets so repetitive and honestly, very annoying.

So I would give it 1.5 stars max.. some parts were okay.. like the end made me a little sad & surprisingly it was written well too. But I don't think it deserves more than that. And I'm definitely not reading the other 2 books.

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

janeniroopa.Kryptonite.devashree_hA.Hajnal-FarwiiDobaara--Alia-Star_on_earthnandini27iluvOriginals..Amina...Sad.But.True.asmaanixx

RadhapriyaG_01

RadhapriyaG_01

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 7:02am | IP Logged
Maybe you should try it out, the genre doesn't interest me, so its not worth my time...

Nrp77

Nrp77

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 4:01pm | IP Logged
@mystery :  thanks for the heads-up.  1.5 stars?  That's pretty bad! I have all 3 books downloaded to my iBook shelf, but I haven't had a chance to start reading yet.  I downloaded the trilogy b/c it was all the rage and I figured it had to be phenomenal.  Apparently from what people say, it's all sex and no substance.

Now I just have to decide if I read it or not... Confused

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 7:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Nrp77

@mystery :  thanks for the heads-up.  1.5 stars?  That's pretty bad! I have all 3 books downloaded to my iBook shelf, but I haven't had a chance to start reading yet.  I downloaded the trilogy b/c it was all the rage and I figured it had to be phenomenal.  Apparently from what people say, it's all sex and no substance.

Now I just have to decide if I read it or not... Confused

Yep, I'd give it 2 stars max when I'm feeling very generous. I just don't think it deserves more than that. Like I said, the 1.5 stars is mainly for the story that had potential but just didn't get there.  And I'm not a  very critical reader. I tend to enjoy books from different genres and many different authors - new and experienced.  In fact, I love some of those free Kindle books by new authors even when they have some typos and/or errors that tend to annoy me. But if the story is good, I can ignore those minor mistakes.  This one just didn't work for me.  I read the first one also because I was so torn due to some very good and some awful reviews.

Some people do enjoy the books, they just weren't made for me. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't connect with Christian or Ana.. I just couldn't. 

asmaanixx

nandini27

IF-Sizzlerz

nandini27

Posted: 22 July 2012 at 9:22am | IP Logged
I read some 100 pages of the book. The writing was horrible. The words/phrases "bite the lip", "oh my", "gasps" and so on keeps repeating on and on and on! At one point it really frustrated me. And the story isnt something different or innovative. You could wayyy better authors with better writing and story.

@mystery: Its basically BDSM, so the sex thingy is obvious. I heard the 3rd book is the worst in case of writing. I cant believe the editors for the books dint even do it properly. I cmpletely agree with your review. I just couldnt go past the contract anastasia read. The punishments and other things had me feeling very very bad and I simply stopped at that.

Edited by nandini27 - 22 July 2012 at 9:23am

A.Hajnal

Post Reply New Post

Go to top