Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bips thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 11 years ago
Divorce laws in India are messed up big time ...

The 6 months cooling of period in India sounds great in theory, yet the truth is that it works only if BOTH the people want a divorce, there is no conflict regarding children/money/property AND if the judge is sensible. Judges actually refuse divorce because they feel that divorce is immoral. Yes, it actually happens.

Heavens forbid, if you file a case on the basis of extra marital affairs or violence, you will be stuck in the courts for eternity ... And if only one person wants it, then forget it. You will never get a divorce.

My cousin was beaten up by her husband and his family yet she went with mutual consent divorce otherwise she would have never been rid of them. It still took a year. And they kept all her jewellery/cash/shares. She could have contested, but that would have meant that she would have still been tied to that scum. So she thought, forget the money, let me just save my life.

... the mumbai high court, a few days back refused a divorce plea. Both parties wanted it, the guy had a transferable job... they had not lived together for years and he was getting transferred again and they were both fed up ... The judge said that a wife should be like Sita (from the Ramayan) who followed Ram to vanvaas for 14 years ... this is the actual statement of the judge ... Yes, this is the HIGH COURT of the country

So, i'll take the quick drive through type of divorce any day ... at least women don't end up being tied up to monsters and finally buckling down to Societal pressure which increases more the case prolongs.
hooked thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
In the indian culture - EVERY realtionship has a specific name. They are not all lumped under one Aunt or Uncle.

As soon as you join another family - there are scores of kids who will address you as mami or chachi or tai and others calling you bhabhi or bahu depending on the relation. When a girl leaves her parents house to settle here in a joint environment - she has to forge new bonds with everybody on a personal basis. 

Thus Nandu calls her bhabhi and she dotes on him and Sugna's kids call her mami and she finds ways to amuse them and cheer them up.

There is a nanad-bhabhi rishta, she forged one with Shyam as a brother, there is a Dadisa, a Taiji, a Tauji and ofcourse with J's parents in whom  - having lived here since a young age -  she has long since transposed her own parents. So if just J decided to call it off with her, does the girl get to call it off with just him ? No - she will have to break EACH n EVERY other relation that she and the others have invested a lot of time and love into building. 

This is why - a divorce in India is not considered such a casual process. One cannot afford to just "ignore the emotional consequences" and only focus on the easy part - the division of money. Emotional gains n losses can take a haevy toll on a person - Jagya will find that in these 6 months...I'm waiting for that.
andv thumbnail
I have not read all the discussions in the thread but on the basis of the write up of the thread maker I definitely support Hooked.

Marriage is not like a dress you go shopping for and just throw it away when the color fades off. It involves a relationship with an individual and in the Indian culture with an entire family. Naturally this comes with a lot of emotions which cannot be taken lightly. Marriage is a journey where the partners gradually understand each other and there is definitely a constant mutual adjustment that needs to be done. It does take some time to be totally comfortable with eachother and this can only happen if the two parties involved are open and matured enough to do so. Many a times after living with each other for a long time people do take their partner for granted (which is not ideal) and staying away from each other for some time may just make a person realize the other's worth. Making the divorce proceedings difficult and having a six month cooling period in my opinion is needed to help people reconsider their decision and also not make any decision in an impulse. I do believe in the sanctity of marriage and I feel it is only fair to give it as much chance as possible to work.

Imagine the life of a wife who is abandoned by her husband just because he found a better upgrade? or the plight of a husband who's wife married him just to get a share in his assets? Making divorce easy will only make it easier for such people with wrong intentions to play their games easily. One needs to held accountable and making the divorce proceedings difficult will just add to this and will keep a person under check to a certain level.

The law of California does make sense if one of the partners is mentally unstable or  physical abuse or of the kind but then again many people can use this as a loophole and if incorrectly used can lead the whole divorce proceedings to be very ugly and in the bargain marring the name of the individual concerned.
tinoo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: andv

Imagine the life of a wife who is abandoned by her husband just because he found a better upgrade? or the plight of a husband who's wife married him just to get a share in his assets? Making divorce easy will only make it easier for such people with wrong intentions to play their games easily. One needs to held accountable and making the divorce proceedings difficult will just add to this and will keep a person under check to a certain level.

I think that this is where hooked, and I differ.

See I dont believe that a marriage should be held together by a "legal" agreement that holds people "accountable". ... or that people "have to be kept in check"

It has to come from the heart where two people voluntarily love each other and care for each other and uplift each other.

If it has come to a point where my husband has filed for a unilateral divorce,  I would really find it beneath my dignity to beg him to stay or to reconsider or to say "please give me a chance"

That is my personal POV. 

Others may want to have a husband who stays in something because he is legally bound and kept in check.

bips thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
Hooked, i think your idea is right about emotional consequences ... but barring a few women, any woman hardly initiates a divorce in this country.

I know I am making sweeping generalisations, but the truth is that no matter how 'forward' thinking your parents might be, it is drilled into a girl's head since birth that you have to adjust, you have to tolerate, you have understand, you have to change, you don't marry the man but the family  etc etc ... Add to that the terrible stigma of divorce in this country even among educated, urban, metropolitan circles

Hence the emotional consequences shouldn't be thought of in terms of the bhabhi, mami, chachi, tai, mosi etc ... but more in terms of that this girl has no more capacity to "tolerate" ... she has been probably counseled by everyone from her parents to the distant relatives to the neighbours to the relatives of those neighbours to try to make it work ... Just let her go free to find some measure of happiness.

I am not saying that women are innocent in all cases ... sometimes men are ill treated and ill used too ... sometimes its just the case of two people fed up of each other ... but in our country, with its horrendous statistics of dowry/violence/mental abuse/infanticide, maybe a quick way out is not a bad decision

P.S: We as a country glorify mental abuse in the name of saas-bahu serials ... What is shown - the constant interference, fault finding, taunting, the girl made to do everything and be nice to even the ass of the family, the girl requiring permission to even breathe  ... these are all forms of degrading someone's self worth
hooked thumbnail
Originally posted by: tinoo

I think that this is where hooked, and I differ.

See I dont believe that a marriage should be held together by a "legal" agreement that holds people "accountable". ... or that people "have to be kept in check"

It has to come from the heart where two people voluntarily love each other and care for each other and uplift each other.

If it has come to a point where my husband has filed for a unilateral divorce,  I would really find it beneath my dignity to beg him to stay or to reconsider or to say "please give me a chance"

That is my personal POV. 

Others may want to have a husband who stays in something because he is legally bound and kept in check. 

And I believe in that old doha by Rahim
- Toote sujan manayiye, jo toote sau baar
Rahiman pun pun poyiye toote muktahaar.

It means - go after and placate nice peoplewho are upset, even if they get upset a hundred times. Same as you would rope again and again a garland or very precious gems (mukta is I think a ruby)

He basically says - good people are precious and you shud not let them break away if you can. We can have misunderstandings even with our best friends sometimes. So then - what helps ? A nice cup of coffee and a chat or a sulk for a sulk ? I wud try to genuinely find out what happened - maybe it was a misunderstanding. 

This is not to say - one shud not have any self-worth and run around trying to please everybody  - but some precious relationships shud be honoured and one shud try one's best to salvage it before letting it go. 

andv thumbnail
Tinoo the legal system does have it pros and cons and every law too has loopholes in it. With the complex nature of individuals, relationships and social sett, these laws can either be beneficial in a good way or benefit a wrong person. Nevertheless the laws have to be made trying to benefit the majority of the population.

In the case of matured individuals who take this first step of marriage itself after through consideration, will certainly see to it that they do all that they can to make it work. But at the end of the day if they are sure things are not going to work, the six month waiting period would not be such a big issue when they look at the bigger picture of not being bound to the relationship for life. But if one of the partner still wants to give it a shot while the other is not willing to, these six months can prove beneficial to that person at least. anyway in the mutual divorce plea both the parties need to file the case together so the question of hurting ones ego does not really arise.

On the other hand what about people who are impulsive, or have ulterior motives or who are just not matured enough, don't these people need to have something to hold them accountable rather than just leave them free to get in and out of a relationship at the drop of a hat? 

Am sure the institution of marriage to begin with was formulated with a very positive concept that was ideally meant to keep two individuals together for life. But with time things have changed, people have changed. Hence in my opinion the best way to avoid all these hassles is take enough time before taking the plunge into marriage and if you have, try your best to make it work. If one is really not that happy staying bound by legal ties, there are other ways people live together like live-in relationships etc, which of course is only bound by the rule of the individual's heart.
tinoo thumbnail
hooked that is beautiful !!

btw a mukta is a pearl.

so when do we know when to call it quits? at what point?

tinoo thumbnail
hooked,

i think everything has a time and place -- and reconcilliation is great. you say good people are precious etc...

however, i think by the time my husband walks in hand in hand with another woman and waves his marriage certificate in everyone's face ... and points to her mangalsutra... then the attempt to have coffee with him to reconcile matters is completely superfluous and I think demeaning.
hooked thumbnail
Bips,

I wud be the first one to agree with you on how messed up our culture is and how abused the bahu in a typical non-megacity joint household is. 
I bet she probably wants to just run away sometimes and wonder what she did to make her parents punish her like this. And these umpteen TV serials - Colors is the biggest airer of this particualr brand of crap - probably make all these bahus lives even more hellish.

Yes - girls used to get drilled into them - adjust, adjust, adjust...but this is I think about a couple of decades back. I doubt many parents can afford to do that anymore - the girls wud justa - mom-dad Chill !!! ðŸ˜†

Kids today have a very healthy self-worth and parents too treat the boys n girls alike. More guys are proud of how well they can make an omlette and girls about the prestigious jobs they hold. We r actually getting there very soon - albeit only in the cities.

My point only related to the BG of this serial and I was focusing only on places as small as Jaitser - where they still wear ghagras and pallu on their heads. In these places - social stigma wud matter. Anandi had to help Asha elope !! This place is yet to meet the modern world  - give them some leeway ðŸ˜Š

I feel for your cousin - my close friend too spent a very frustrating n depressing 3 yrs trying to get her pig of a husband who actaully had ED and hence wanted to stay away, but also cudn't handle setting her free to see her make another stab at life !! And he was a lawyer to boot. He threatened her - if you say anything at all - I'll arrange ten witnesses to malign your character. Poor girl - she was in such a mess...Then I had really prayed for our divorce laws to get simpler and our judicial system to get more efficient and move things fast.

Its just that - we can't have a different law for the cities and another for villages and we ARE a land of huge diversity...one will then have to decide on a law in favour of the larger multitude.