Writers Corner

Crash course on mechanics on IF (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

cuteteddy

Goldie

cuteteddy

Posted: 24 May 2012 at 6:41am | IP Logged
well m not sure if my suggestion is related to it but still have u heard about beta-reading ? on ff.net for example . 
i mean one can help the author by reading and pointing out mistakes like tenses , punctuations , etc . 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

The-Voice

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Crash course on mechanics on IF (Page 2)" in Writers Corner forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

The-Voice

IF-Sizzlerz

The-Voice

Posted: 06 June 2012 at 5:30pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Ameres

Thanks for this post! :)

Well I have a question regarding paras. The problem is I don't understand when it is right to divide the story into paras, as in at some points it is clear to start a new para but when you are describing one scene from one characters view then how do you divide? Is there a way of telling? 

Another question is about characters name. Like I have a habit of starting with he/she instead of introducing the character with name. And mostly I write the characters name once and then rest of the story is filled with pronouns. Is this wrong? When should pronoun come and when characters name should be used? 

That's a beautiful question. Although I am no expert on your second query, I will still do my best in answering it.

For the first one, it's always better to have short, consistent paragraphs. This not only ensures a systematic flow of your work overall, but it also makes it look appealing to the reader's eyes. When in doubt, it's better to end a paragraph that allows a smooth transition to the next paragraph.

For example:

"Mariah and I would often meet at Lazarus Cafe. She would tell me stories of her college friends and other acquaintances. While sipping our coffees and devouring the pastries, we would chat for hours. It so happened once that Mariah and I decided to go for a movie together. However, to my dismay, she did not show up on the day of our rendezvous. I kept staring at my watch in anticipation. In sheer desperation, I started looking around and calling her. However, her phone was unreachable. My impatience had started going berserk. I needed an answer. It was then that I'd decided on having a word with her.

The next morning, I called up Mariah... "

Look at the above excerpt from a non-existent novel. The author is describing an unfortunate event that took place in [his] life. He ends up the last few lines of the first paragraph with a situation that eventually results in a situation/scenario that gives way to the beginning of the following paragraph. In short, the author is attempting at transitioning from deciding to question his friend, Mariah, to actually questioning her the next day. In this way, the attention of the reader is always in focus at the incidents taking place. It's also advisable to have the last couple of sentences to be as brief and transitional as possible.

For your second one: The usage of pronouns DOES NOT keep a reader's attention for long. If you're writing a short story that involves merely two people, it's alright. The reader can still make out who's who. However, when you're writing on a bigger scale with multiple characters involved, it's always better to use names. Moreover, names give meaning to your story. With the usage of names, the feel of your story becomes realistic. It keeps a reader's attention throughout.
I hope I was able to answer your questions. Thank you.

Ameres

The-Voice

IF-Sizzlerz

The-Voice

Posted: 06 June 2012 at 5:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by cuteteddy

well m not sure if my suggestion is related to it but still have u heard about beta-reading ? on ff.net for example . 
i mean one can help the author by reading and pointing out mistakes like tenses , punctuations , etc . 

I have, but I am a bit wary of their honesty and integrity. People spend hours writing their creative pieces of literature, only to find out later that someone ended up stealing their work under the pretext of helping them.

cuteteddy

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Writers Corner Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.