Members Lounge

mumbai rains first day first show

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

chatterbox

IF-Sizzlerz

chatterbox

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 4:20am | IP Logged

this is mumbai mirror article thought wud share with u our experiences as memories of last 26/7 mumbai floods is still in mind.

First day, first show

The heavy rains unleashed on Mumbai on Wednesday showed up cracks in the administration's readiness to face the monsoon. Mumbai saw a trailer of the forthcoming rainy days. The Maharashtra government has been tom-tomming its effectiveness in cleaning up 83 per cent of Mithi river. But that disaster management is not exclusive to this alone is obvious by what happened with the first rain. Mumbai Mirror brings you an update on the main water-clogged areas:

Andheri
The heavy rains led to water-logging between Andheri Station and S V Road. About two feet of water was accumulated on the roads. Added to this was the heavy traffic jam caused by the fact that everybody wanted to rush home to avoid a 26/7-like fate. "Fed-up of the traffic jam, I started walking towards the station," says Sachin Narkar.  "But it was difficult to walk as everybody was on the roads trying to make their way through the traffic," he adds.

Ghatkopar
It was not an easy journey for Rahul Puri either who was moving from Ghatkopar to Thane on his bike.  "There was knee deep water and heavy traffic at LBS Marg making the journey lengthier," he said. Puri started at 7.30 pm and reached Thane by 9.20 pm.

Thane
There was 2-3 feet of water at Gokulnagar and Uthalsar in Thane leading to traffic jams.  "Some of the vehicles stopped working and were abandoned on the road by their owners," said Vikas Pandit, who was walking towards the station. "This resulted in more traffic jam," he added.

Ulhasnagar
The open drainage system in Ulhasnagar added stink and filth to the water-logging. People had to make their way through two feet water with garbage floating in it. The nallahs had spilled their filth onto the roads and streets.

Vidyavihar
At about 6.30 pm, some distance away from the Vidyavihar station, lightening struck and caused a small fire. Bhavani Prajapati, who works at Vidyavihar, said, "We could see a fire. A train was sitting on the fourth track and another had just passed the spot where lightening had struck."

Bhandup
At about 6.30 pm when the rain was at its peak, traffic started building up here and resulted in a jam as water logging had occurred near Mangatram Petrol Pump. "We were wading in two feet water as taxis and rickshaws that had broken down lay abandoned in the middle of the road. The incessant rain further aggravated the situation as we found it difficult to see anything ahead of us. I managed to cover the distance of one kilometre to the station in 25 minutes," said Salim Ansari a salesman.

Goregaon
A nullah between Piramalnagar and Nandwana Nagar that had been constricted by the BMC due to reclamation resulted in overflowing water. The water flooded the houses in the vicinity. Even after the rains stopped the water, that had risen to up to three feet high, failed to subside.

Grant Road
Stranded two-wheelers, a few stray cabbies cursing their luck and an unused sedan… all lay submerged under water outside the Grant Road station on Wednesday evening. Timber dealers and paanwaalahs could do nothing but watch the flooded water inside their offices. Pedestrians wading through thigh-deep water advised each other to stick to the middle of the road and avoid the sides of the roads.

Johny Joseph says
Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) Commissioner Johny Joseph claimed that BMC had cleaned all the drains but the water logging was a result of area-specific problems. He said drains got blocked because of the garbage in the drain.

Joseph agreed that there was debris lying on the roads. He said it would be removed in the next two days. He stated that the city's drainage system was equipped only for rainfall of one inch per hour. He said BMC was going to widen the drain under the National Urban Renewal Mission.

Joseph said BMC was prepared to tackle the rain but it had arrived earlier than expected. "Ward officers, assistant engineers in each ward and all senior officers are monitoring the situation and are prepared to handle the situation," he said. BMC has made a provision of Rs one lakh for each ward to handle an emergency, he said.

andheri railway station

ghatkopar

grant road

i m sure lots of mumbaikars like me wud remember this

sorry to bore  u allBig smile

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "mumbai rains first day first show" in Members Lounge forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

fatmah5000

Goldie

fatmah5000

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 4:43am | IP Logged
mh...i have to cancel my trip to mumbai then!... Cry
tfs

Artemisia

Channel Moderator

Artemisia

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 4:58am | IP Logged
thanks didnt know that

Groovychick

IF-Rockerz

Groovychick

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged
hailaa.. Cry
monsoon has cum early this yr yaar Confused
it's soo bad in india yaar..its alwaysss sunny and then a whole month or two with non-stop rain..lol..
july is the worst tym 2 go india..there's mud evry1!! Dead
but i still luv my india!! Tongue LOL

Groovychick

IF-Rockerz

Groovychick

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 9:10am | IP Logged
oh...btw..thnx 4 sharing Tongue

anniegupta_

Goldie

anniegupta_

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 12:15pm | IP Logged
thanks for sharing

lilyrose

IF-Dazzler

lilyrose

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 12:22pm | IP Logged
aww the rains again, hope everyone is ok, i still love my india too Tongue

an0nymous

IF-Sizzlerz

an0nymous

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 3:18pm | IP Logged
Thanks for sharing. I hope everyones okay.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top