Posted: 11 years ago
Film Reviews
Posted: Wed., Feb. 13, 2013, 3:22pm PT
Berlin
Kai po che!
(India)
By RONNIE SCHEIB

Raj Kumar Yadav, Sushant Singh Rajput and Amit Sadh in "Kai Po Che!"

A UTV release of a UTV Motion Pictures production. Produced by Ronnie Screwvala, Siddharth Roy Kapur. Executive producer, Ajay Raj. Directed by Abhishek Kapoor. Screenplay, Pubali Chaudhuri, Suapratik Sen, Kapoor, Chetan Bhagat, based on the novel "The 3 Mistakes of My Life" by Bhagat.
With: Sushant Singh Rajput, Raj Kumar Yadav, Amit Sadh, Amrita Puri. (Hindi dialogue)
A close-knit trio of young men determined to turn their passion for cricket into a viable business find their efforts derailed and their destinies altered by murderous religious violence in Abhishek Kapoor's 2002-set feature, "Kai po che!" The pic starts with the backslapping camaraderie typical of Indian comedies, but economic pressures and conflicting loyalties begin to unravel the friendships, which are only intermittently reanimated by love of the sport. While its approach to controversial subject matter is populist and uninspired, the competently constructed pic, based on a bestseller, could click among the Indian diaspora when it opens worldwide Feb. 22.
More or less at loose ends, three pals decide to pool their diverse talents and resources to open a sports shop/cricket club in their native Gujarat. Volatile Ishaan (Sushant Singh Rajput), a brilliant player in high school, lends his fame and coaching skills to the fledgling enterprise. Omi (Amit Sadh), with family prominent in religion and politics, borrows money to finance the undertaking, while Govind (Raj Kumar Yadav) devotes his bookkeeping prowess to keeping the venture afloat. But just as things start to take off, events conspire to undermine the project's feasibility and threaten the threesome's solidarity.

Ishaan discovers Ali, a Muslim cricket prodigy, whose promise begins to cloud Ishaan's allegiance to his friends. Govind falls under the romantic spell of Ishaan's take-charge kid sister Vidya (Amrita Puri), whom he is tutoring in math. And Omi, forced by disaster into borrowing heavily from his politico uncle, finds himself enmeshed in the inner-workings of the Hindu party.

Religious discord first appears merely a minor obstacle: Ishaan must convince Ali's father, the leader of a Muslim party, to enroll his son in a sports club financed by his Hindu political rival. But later, when an earthquake puts a strain on available resources, aid is apportioned along religious lines, creating a rift between Ishaan, as protector of Ali, and Omi, whose loyalty is to his uncle. Eventually, the characters' storylines are interwoven into actual events of 2002, as the film places the parents of one of the characters on the fateful Godhra train carrying Hindu pilgrims that was set afire by Islamists, and all three protags are swept up in the immediate sword-wielding Hindu reprisals on Muslim neighborhoods.

Although the intersection of the film's personal and historical aspects are handled with a degree of subtlety, its sense of macrocosm and microcosm remains visually unbalanced, with history ultimately feeling less important and less immediate than fiction.

Thesping, largely by actors who have cut their teeth in TV, is technically accomplished, but never quite transcends their scripted traits, rendering the film's tonal shifts more matter of fact than emotionally wrenching.

Camera (color, widescreen), Anay Goswami; editor, Deepa Bhatia; music, Amit Trivedi; production designer, Sonal Sawant; costume designer, Niharika Khan; sound designer (Dolby Digital 5.1), Baylon Fonesca. Reviewed at Magno Review 1, New York, Feb. 8, 2013. (In Berlin Film Festival -- Panorama.) Running time: 126 MIN.

Minion23 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Credit: Tanmi

Mehul S Thakkar (MUMBAI MIRROR; February 14, 2013)

At a time when the film fraternity – represented by Arjun Kapoor, Parineeti Chopra, Ranveer Singh, Anushka Sharma, Hrithik Roshan, Emraan Hashmi – will attend the premiere of Abhishek Kapoor's Kai Po Che, along with the cast of the film at a suburban theatre, a private premiere will be held for Aamir Khan far away in Rajasthan. According to sources, coproducer of the film, Ronnie Screwvala has arranged a special simultaneous screening for the actor in Jaipur.

A source said: "When Ronnie heard that Aamir will not be able to attend the premiere because of his shooting schedule for PK, he quickly made arrangements and booked an entire single-screen theatre at Jawahar Circle to ensure that Aamir gets to watch the film the same day as the premiere, even if he is in Jaipur." A special print of the film is on its way to Jaipur and it will be played at the same time as its Mumbai premiere.

When contacted, Abhishek Kapoor confirmed the development.

UTV head honcho Ronnie Screwwala and Aamir go back a long way. Ronnie's company had produced Aamir's Rang De Basanti and when Aamir hosted a party in honour of Argentine musician Gustavo Sanataolla, the later was among the select few guests. Sanjay Dutt and Raj Kumar Hirani, who are also in Jaipur, might attend the screening.

sushantfan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Indian cricket tear-jerker bowls over Berlinale
People touch by the giant logo of the Berlinale film festival in Berlin, on February 7, 2013. "Kai Po Che", an Indian film about cricket, love and politics set against a tumultuous backdrop of brutal sectarian violence and an earthquake, bowled over the crowd at the Berlin film festival Thursday.

AFP - "Kai Po Che", an Indian film about cricket, love and politics set against a tumultuous backdrop of brutal sectarian violence and an earthquake, bowled over the crowd at the Berlin film festival Thursday.

In a year in which the main Berlinale competition has failed to inspire much passion, "Kai Po Che" (Brothers For Life) sparked cheers and tears from a packed cinema as it screened ahead of its global general release next week.

Based on the best-selling book "The Three Mistakes Of My Life", the film charts the ups and down of three ambitious young Indian men as they set up a sport shop and cricket coaching academy in the Gujurati capital Ahmedabad.

After a slow start, business begins to boom -- helped by a gripping test series between India and Australia that sees cricket kit fly off the shelves -- and they uncover a precocious young batsman, Ali, whose talent they nurture.

They expand their business, opening new premises in a swanky mall, but their world is shattered by the 2001 Ahmedabad quake which reduces their shop to rubble and destroys all their stock.

The devastating earthquake also strains the trio's friendship, as cricket coach Ishaan (Sushant Singh Rajput) steals their remaining savings to pay to shore up Ali's house, causing the others to expel him from the partnership.

Inevitably it is cricket that brings them back together, as they bond again while watching India's astonishing test victory against Australia in 2001, only the third match in history where a team following on has gone on to win.

The trio begin to rebuild from the ruins. The more business-minded Govind (Rajkumar) expands the sports equipment and coaching model into schools, with the help of Ishaan, while Omi (Amit Sadh) finds himself drawn into politics.

Meanwhile, Ali rises through the ranks of Indian cricket with a series of sparkling innings inspired by his mentor Ishaan while Govind falls in love with the coach's beautiful sister played by Amrita Puri.

But again, upheaval intervenes, this time in the form of the 2002 Gujarat riots.

Omi's parents are burned alive when a group thought to be Muslim extremists torches a train carrying Hindu pilgrims and activists in the Gujarat town of Godhra, killing 58 people.

This unleashes a wave of brutal sectarian violence that draws in all three friends, rips apart their town of Ahmedabad and ends up pitting Omi, son of a Hindu priest, against the family of the Muslim rising cricket star Ali, with tragic results.

Director Abhishek Kapoor told reporters he wanted to make a different type of Indian film and shied away from the traditional Bollywood mix of song, dance and music, although the film contains plenty of the colour and spice of India.

"I don't think it's a Bollywood film, it's an Indian film," said Kapoor.

He said he hoped the film's format, which intersperses TV footage from the historic 2001 India-Australia test series and features a cameo by Indian cricket star Aday Jadeja, would appeal to a wider audience.

"The world over, people are interested in Indian film. People are curious and want to see more films. But somehow Bollywood films don't connect with people," he said.

While the politics, religious tension and cricket were important, ultimately the film is about the unbreakable bond between the three stars, said Kapoor.

"Politics in India is in every area. This is what India is about: cricket, politics, religion and movies. But actually this film is about friendship.

"I think it is a very important story for India."

The 63rd Berlinale runs until Sunday. "Kai Po Che" is screening in the festival's Panorama section.

sushantfan thumbnail

Music review: 'Kai Po Che' leaves you craving more

by Rohini Chatterji Feb 15, 2013

#Amit Trivedi #Kai Po Che #Music Review #Swanand Kirkire

Stay Connected with Gmail 
Access your emails and docs from any computer or mobile phone! Mail.Google.com
Want to Design Your Home? 
Godrej Interio Brings New Designs for Your Home. Know More! www.godrejinterio.com
Ads by Google

With music composed by Amit Trivedi and lyrics written by Swanand Kirkire, the Kai Po Chesoundtrack though short, makes quite the impression. The songs about friendships, dreams and love seem to fit in well with the theme of the film, which if you don't know it yet, is based on Chetan Bhagat's book Three Mistakes of My Life.

Kirkire's simple, yet beautiful, lyrics actually give you a glimpse in to what the film is all about. The sad part is that the album, with just three songs, ends too soon and leaves you craving for more.

Kai Po Che's music seems to fit seamlessly into the film. Image courtesy: Facebook

Maanja begins with the mellifluous notes of the saarangi, reminding you more of Rajasthan than Gujarat (where the story is set). Trivedi's mesmerising voice with the music is a perfect blend and seems to fit in seamlessly with the picturisation that we see in the trailer.

Subhaaraambh sung by Shruti Pathak and Divya Kumar is a vibrant garba number that seems more in keeping with where they film is set. The vocals gel well with the shehnai anddhol giving it a folkish feel. And given how good it sounds, it easily has the potential to become the most popular song during the next garba season.

Meethi Boliyaan, as the name of the song goes, is a love song sung by Trivedi and Mili Nair. Kirkire's lyrics, the vocals and the acoustic music makes it another song that makes for easy listening and is definitely addictive.

Whether Kai Po Che will be the hit that the book it is based on remains to be seen, but the music album's definitely worth your time.

sushantfan thumbnail
Three times the charm

Ambica Sachin / 15 February 2013

Amit Sadh, Raj Kumar Yadav and Sushant Singh Rajput at the Khaleej Times office. — KT photo by Grace Guino
 1/1 
When a critically acclaimed director like Abhishek Kapoor sends out his relatively new cast of three young actors to promote his forthcoming release on their own, you can be assured there is a good reason behind it.

And Kai Po Che actors Sushant Singh Rajput, Raj Kumar Yadav and Amit Sadh more than lived up to their director's trust when they stopped by the Khaleej Times office on Thursday to promote the ?movie.

Based on Indian writer Chetan Bhagat's best-selling novel The 3 Mistakes of My Life, the coming-of-age drama offers a slice of middle-class India weaving together a story of three friends set against the backdrop of certain socio-political events in Ahmadabad.

And the male bonding was not just restricted to the trio who were full of praise for their absentee director.

"We are just starting out on our career and for Abhishek to have so much of faith in us and to give us such a big canvas to work on — that takes guts and vision," said Sadh, the most vocal among ?the three.

With none of the starry tantrums and the entourage that usually accompanies a star visit to our shores, the three actors seemed very confident about their project. "We believe we have made a great film and we hope the audience sees it the way we see it," said Rajput, a familiar face from television.

"We have a wonderful story to tell. Kai Po Che is a very honest film and we are sure that people who go and watch it will be entertained," added Yadav.

As for comparisons with another reel male-bonding outing, Rang de Basanti, they would rather take it as a compliment and let the audience decide for themselves once the movie releases here on February 21. "As artists we have fulfilled our objective, as businessmen we are awaiting the results," was how Sudh succinctly put it.

sushantfan thumbnail

High fliers

| Posted: Mumbai, Fri Feb 15 2013, 14:29 hrs
A

Screen Preview: Kai Po Che

Mumbai: As a part of 2013's first edition of Screen Preview, film-maker Abhishek Kapoor, newbies Sushant Singh Rajput, Raj Kumar, Amit Sadh along with producer Siddharth Roy Kapur get candid on what Kai Po Che implies, need to rope in fresh talent, reasons for having only three songs in the film and more

For the live coverage, log on to: http://www.youtube.com/screenweekly

Siddharth, how did you go about the process of acquiring the rights of Chetan Bhagat's The 3 Mistakes Of My Life that has been adapted into Kai Po Che?

Siddharth Roy Kapur: After watching Rock On!!, we have always wanted to work with Gattu (Abhishek Kapoor). When we spoke with him, he gave us a script which was one of those scripts that you yearn to come by. We get 7-10 scripts a week; some are good but there are very few that make you feel that this is a story that has to be told. When he told us that he wanted to make the film with us, we jumped at that opportunity. He had already spoken with Chetan (Bhagat). In fact, Chetan collaborated with him on the script, so we didn't have to acquire the rights of the book as Chetan and Gattu had already worked that out together.

Like other producers, is Disney UTV actively looking at acquiring rights of books that can be adapted into films?

SRK: Yes. It is great that English writing has increased to a great extent. While certain books are great, some are not. Even with great books, only few lend themselves to cinema. The trick is to identify the ones that can be translated on screen and look at the option of making those movies. We are doing that pretty aggressively.

Abhishek, what about Chetan Bhagat's The 3 Mistakes Of My Life appealed to you for you to adapt into a film?

Abhishek Kapoor: When I read The 3 Mistakes Of My Life, I found that I could sink my teeth into the story. The book is about friendship, love, cricket, religion, politics and more than anything else, he has woven a fictional story around two real events that hit Gujarat around 2002 — the earthquake and the Godhra riots. For me, this was a great opportunity to tell a believable story. What attracted me the most were the characters and I focussed on the theme of friendship. Since Rock On!! also had a friendship theme, I was apprehensive about repetition, but while Rock On!! had an urban, rock music backdrop, this is set against the backdrop of a hardcore middle (class) India.

As a director, what were the challenges of translating this book into a film?

AK: We spent two-and-a-half-years working on its screenplay whereas if I had picked up something simpler, I would have churned out a film within a year's time. When I started writing the screenplay, I had to drop a lot from the book which led to a vacuum that had to be filled with new, valuable material. Eventually, the screenplay stands independent of the book, but it is also derivative of it as the characters are the same but with more dimensions.

Siddharth, as a producer, was there a risk in casting new faces — Sushant Singh Rajput, Raj Kumar and Amit Sadh?

SRK: Initially, you do think of casting known names but Kai Po Che is a story of three friends trying to find their way in life where one role is not more significant than the other. Casting known names for such a film becomes difficult as even younger actors are concerned about how they would be projected vis-a-vis the other two. Then, you tend to compensate and mould the script around them which is not something we wanted to do. So we decided to make this film with fresh talent, and it is an incredible cast.

Abhishek, tell us something about the audition process before zeroing in on these three actors?

AK: This film required three main characters who share an equal level of chemistry with each other. To get that combination was almost a dream because today, you can go wrong even while casting one actor. We realised that we had to audition the three actors together because individually they may be great, but they should come across as friends when they are acting together. We went through a lot of auditions and the casting director, Mukesh Chhabra should be given the credit. When we auditioned three of them on a street — it was a good four-five minute shot — they became the characters; it felt like that they had been friends for years whereas in reality, they had just met.

So, Amit, Raj Kumar and Sushant, tell us a little about the characters you play in the film.

Amit Sadh: I play Omi, a priest's son who has grown up doing kirtans, aartis and Surya namaskars. He is a sweetheart for his friends.

Physically, he is very powerful and you feel that he knows everything but mentally, he doesn't have any sense of direction. He tries finding that through his friends and emulates Ishaan (Sushant Singh Rajput), who he is crazy about.

Raj Kumar: I play Govind Patel, a very ordinary, relatable Gujarati boy. He doesn't have any desires in his life except to be a successful businessman. All his energies are targeted only towards making money. He is the mind of the group. There is a love story in the film too...

AS: He never forgets to tell that he gets the girl in the end (laughs).

RK: That is something I am really proud of (laughs).

Sushant Singh Rajput: I play Ishaan, a 23-year-old, very fit cricketer. The most exciting part about my character is that he is full of contradictions. From the outside, he comes across as a very insensitive and impulsive guy, but from the inside, he is very pure, honest and sensitive. Also, he loves his friends like his family.

Why is Amrita Puri, the female lead, missing from the film's promotions?

AK: The film is essentially about three friends, the love angle is a parallel track. Amrita's character is very interesting too. Though she is the only female lead, she plays a girlfriend, sister, daughter as well as a mother to her brother, Ishaan. She has so many shades to her character that we don't need another girl to fulfill any aspect in the film.

Why did you title the film as Kai Po Che?

AK: Kai Po Che may be an out-of-the-box title, but it has a certain energy to it. It is a victory call for all those who fly kites during Sankrant across the country. It translates into 'I cut you' and metaphorically, that happens among the friends too. It is a title that you take home after you see the film.

Tell us about your favourite scenes in the film.

SRK: There are some beautiful sequences in the film — one where the friends are finally making something of their lives and a song actually takes them through the journey. I also love the climax which is a culmination to the build up of the characters, and it is quite different from the book.

AS: At the beginning of the film, there is a scene where you see the three of us fight over something for the first time. The way it was shot was magical and that is one of the best scenes, for me.

SSR: I love a moment in the film where Ishaan and Omi, who've fought, meet after five-six months. They don't say a word, and just hug.

AK: This moment is set against the backdrop of India-Australia test match at Eden Gardens where India had received a follow-on and actually go on to win that match. Cricket is something that really brings this country together and in the moment of India's victory, both of them hug each other.

The scene that Amit was talking about is a fight they have over their business establishment. Within 10 days of the film's shoot, they had gotten into the skin of their characters so well that when they came to shoot for this scene, there was pin drop silence on the set. The scene determines the mood on the set and that day, everyone just whispered on the sets because they were truly tense.

RK: My favourite scenes are the ones between Vidya (Amrita Puri) and me. It is a very unique love story because I am not playing the characters that I played in Love Sex Aur Dhokha or Ragini MMS. I am the shy guy here.

Since this film focusses on your camaraderie, how well did the three of you bond on the sets?

RK: We started bonding from the moment we screen tested together. The personal equation developed much later when we met for coffee, etc. We didn't have to consciously work on getting to know each other, the chemistry was magically present.

Amit and Sushant, coming from television, how challenging was it shooting for a film?

SSR: If you know your craft and enjoy the acting process, medium is not important. While performing on stage, you get a live response but in front of television or film camera, you just play the character.

AS: Adding to what Sushant said, the acting process in television is challenging because there is pressure to finish a certain amount of work in a day. As a result, I made a conscious decision to attempt movies because they are not very strictly time-bound and more emphasis is laid on your character than just finishing the scene. But I am very proud of acting in television industry because it gave me my bread and butter when I came to Mumbai and laid the foundation for me as an actor.

SSR: But TV actors and directors are very efficient. If you have a wonderful story to tell on TV, the technicians are so efficient that they do the pre-production, shooting and post-production in a single day and that requires a lot of effort.

AK: There is a strange myth that television actors cannot work in films. So where will the new talent come from? You can't take a rank newcomer from the streets, cast him in a '30-crore film and put such a big burden on his shoulders. You need to get fresh professionals. Apart from these two, I have also worked with television actress Prachi Desai (for Rock On!!) and I saw that they can enact a five-six page scene at a go. In fact, if I don't call for a 'cut' they will enact the whole script. That comes from training and experience. The notion that pedigree from film stars' homes is the only place to find talent is really choking the film industry.

Why did you decide to have only three songs in the music album of Kai Po Che?

AK: There is no room for more songs. I did try to add a remix, but it felt like I was abusing the song, so I just abandoned the idea.

SRK: We are used to the notion that you should have a minimum of five songs, if you want to make an album. But this film can only take these many songs, anything more than that would have been superfluous.

Finally, Siddharth, what kind of collection are you expecting from this film?

SRK: I am expecting Kai Po Che to break all records. We really made a film from the heart and I believe that there is no way that the film will not touch the heart of every Indian. You have to look at the film in the context of its budget, this film is made on a budget of '12 crore. We are going to release it on as wide a platform as possible.

Transcribed by Krutika Behrawala

Fatima_Q thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Credit Anushyap...

KPC team on the Front Row...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slsc0r1LGPA[/YOUTUBE]
Fatima_Q thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZydjHMwrpk[/YOUTUBE]
sushantfan thumbnail
updated the 1st pg of kpc discussion thrd letme know if nithin else is required

sushantfan thumbnail

Amit Sadh calls Amit Trivedi a legend
Mumbai,Cinema/Showbiz, Sat, 16 Feb 2013IANS

inShare

Mumbai, Feb 16 (IANS) Actor Amit Sadh says National award-winning composer Amit Trivedi, who is behind three songs from his forthcoming film "Kai Po Che!", is a legend.
"I think Amit Trivedi is a legend. He is a phenomena! The kind of music that man gives film after film... (For 'Kai Po Che!') He has given a very beautiful and soulful music, and adding to that is Swanand Kirkire and his lyrics," Amit Said said here Friday in an interview.
One of Amit Trivedi's songs is in the film "Maanjha", which has quite a few fans.
Amit Sadh, a former TV actor, says the response to the song is even great in Dubai.
"Dubai was also freaking on the line 'Aaja suljha de uljhe rishto ka manjha', so people are connecting with it. All the songs are beautiful, so we are happy," he said.
Amit Trivedi was given the 2010 National Film Award for best music direction for "Dev D", and he has also composed for films like "Wake Up Sid" and "Ishaqzaade".

Big names don't attract Sushant
IANS India Private Limited - 21 mins ago

Mumbai, Feb 16 (IANS) Sushant Singh Rajput, who has bagged plum Bollywood projects even before his debut film "Kai Po Che!" has hit the screens, says big names don't attract him. It is the script that draws him first.

The actor, who became popular with TV show "Pavitra Rishta", has already signed a film with Yash Raj films and one project with Rajkumar Hirani.

"The main intention is to work with the right kind of people and to be associated with the right kind of scripts. So it is very fortunate that the second script which I liked was with Yash Raj Films, and the third was with Rajkumar Hirani," the 27-year-old said here Friday in an interview.

"I don't get awed by big names. It is just that the script is most important and these scripts are with these big names," he added.

In Yash Raj Films' project, which is yet untitled, he will be seen opposite Parineeti Chopra, in Hirani's "Peekay", he will share the frame with Aamir Khan and Anushka Sharma.

Sushant's debut film "Kai Po Che!", directed by Abhishek Kapoor, recently premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival, and that too to a huge applause.

The film, also starring Raj Kumar Yadav, Amit Sadh and Amrita Puri, hits theatres Feb 22.