Mona jaisi koi nahi!

Starryskies Groupbie
Starryskies
Starryskies

Posted: 25 April 2005 at 12:29am | IP Logged

Monday, April 25, 2005

Mona jaisi koi nahi!
Sumaa Tekur
Huge glasses, a fringe haircut, braces and a sloppy walk to match - it's got to be Jassi. After Mahatma Gandhi, if there is someone whose glasses tell a story, it is Jassi's, of Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin fame.

Jasmeet Walia's daily struggle to keep Gulmohur fashion house afloat; those fleeting romantic moments with her boss Armaan Suri; Chashmish Chuhiya's confrontations with Armaan's fiance Mallika Seth are far entertaining than the other saas-bahu tearjerkers on the telly.

This character became a household name within weeks of its launch shooting up the TRPs and working the magic for Sony television.

Jassi's attachment to bebe (her grandmom), her platonic relationship with Nandu, the next-door neighbour and best friend, and Jassi getting bullied by Pari in office are a laugh riot besides adding the human touch to her character.

For the uninitiated, Jassi is now in a new, improved avatar having said goodbye to the behenji look. This can, perhaps, be called the most awaited transformation on Indian television.

She has embraced a suave, savvy image and calls herself Jessica Bedi, almost unrecognisable with the new look, to return to Gulmohur and find her secret enemies and avenge the wrongdoers.

Metrolife caught up with this middle class icon who was in Bangalore for the first time on a breeze of a visit to inaugurate UTI Bank's Smart Privelege savings account exclusively for women.

"There she is...". "She looks just the same on television...", mumbled a few while the others just gaped in awe and disbelief at the Jassi, who walked in with panache and style.

Dressed in black, the ever smiling Jassi signed autographs for the kids with as much enthusiasm as she obliged for photographs with the ladies, while the men continued to silently admire the woman of the moment under the glare of the incessantly clicking flash bulbs. Oh! And she still signs as "Jassi". When on a break, we did a rapid fire round with Jassi. Here goes:

With your contract with Sony television ending in May, your fans are anxious to know if it will be renewed and if the show will continue?

Of course. I have renewed the contract with Sony and I will be continuing the show.

Do you believe that looks are important?

It depends on what your job is. If you aspire to be a supermodel, you better be good looking. But if you will be sitting in office and managing accounts the way Jassi does in the serial, looks are not priority.

Your body language before and after the transformation are strikingly different? Did you have to work on it?

Yes. It was very difficult. Two years of Jassi made me very dheela (sloppy). Now, I have to watch my body language. The director screams - Up, Mona, sit up.

What did the old Jassi have that the new one does not?

Her family.

If offered a role as a bahu, would you consider it?

I am open to exploring new avenues. The role must give me the opportunity to express myself.

How will the storyline of Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin grow from here?

I cannot tell you all of it. For that, you have to watch the show. But, now Jessica is back in Gulmohur. She will find out who her enemies were and get back to her family. The story grows from there.

Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin. What about Mona Darling?

Mona jaisi bhi koi nahin.

Quite true!

shiverz Goldie
shiverz
shiverz

Posted: 25 April 2005 at 12:34am | IP Logged
Thanks for the article!Smile
ms-tabu Goldie
ms-tabu
ms-tabu

Posted: 25 April 2005 at 4:39am | IP Logged
once again,starry ,thanks for the articleBig smile