** ASA Article Section ** No Comments - Page 3

Posted: 11 years ago

Kushal Punjabi back with a bang

Kushal Punjabi back with a bang
Kushal Punjabi

Handome hunk Kushal Punjabi after the success of his last movie "Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal"is now set to hit the silver screen once again with his upcoming movie "Rock The Shaadi" produced by Ekta Kapoor.

Kushal Punjabi,Genelia and Abhay Deol are the three main leads for the movie, which will be releasing this year end. Besides the film, Kushal will also be starring in a new TV series called ""Aasman Se Aagey"" on Life Ok. The concept of the show is that of a dance reality show and Apurva Agnihotri and Ojaswi Oberoi will be Kushal's co-actors in the show.

""After rejecting some TV shows due to the unsatisfying storyline i finally got a call from a very interesting and hat ke TV series. It is a show that will reveal the truth behind the reality shows. I will be playing the character named Alan who is the main choreographer and is full of life,"" says Kushal, adding, ""I love doing reality shows as I have to play my self in it and not another character, though this show is a bit different so I accepted it with a big smile.""

An Interview with Jyoti Sagar, Producer of Sagar Arts

Written by Breaking News Online Team

Tuesday, 03 April 2012 21:54

By Himanshu Guru: Jyoti Sagar is the Special Effects wizard in the Sagar family. He started his career as an assistant to Dr. Ramanand Sagar and took charge of the entire post production unit.

He set up a state of the art post-production studio in Mumbai which caters to the needs of the Sagar Group besides offering services to prestigious clients in India and abroad.

His skill in computer graphics and computer generated visual effects has fetched him 21 awards only for HATIM, the first ever full-fledged fantasy with international level graphics to hit the small screen.

Besides HATIM, Jyoti Sagar's successes on television as a special effects director include SAI BABA, PRITHVIRAJ CHAUHAN, LUCKY, AKKAD BAKAD, HELLODOLLY and HOTEL KINGSTON, all produced by Sagar Group and ANTARIKSH, a space fantasy produced by Shakti Films.

Jyoti Sagar's brain child is the Sagar Post Production Studio named SAGAR POST in suburban Mumbai which caters to the family's visual special effects needs. He is the Group's wizard and needless to say all the special effects in the group's productions including the new Ramayan, Arslaan, Jai Maa Durga, Sai Baba and Mahima Shani Dev Ki are his creations.

Jyoti Sagar, a commerce graduate of Bombay University, has also been managing the financial division of the Sagar Group besides spearheading corporate planning for the group.

In an exclusive interview to Mr. Himanshu Guru, Senior Columnist of Breaking News Online, Mr. Jyoti Sagar has revealed his plans and ambitions and talked about his new serial, "Aasman Se Aage".

Interview

Himanshu Guru: What inspired you in making a serial 'Aasman se aage' on LifeOk, which is based on the theme ' To reveal the true stories behind the dance reality shows).

Jyoti Sagar: A very fresh concept. The story of a girls dreams of making it big in Mumbai, but set in the world of reality television.

Himanshu Guru: What exactly goes on behind the reality dance shows? We know you would convey it through the serial, but for now how much you want to inform the PRESS about this.

Jyoti Sagar: There are some facts and some parts are fictionalized for better storytelling.

Himanshu Guru: Ramanand Sagar ji is the man who had showed the TV audiences that a mythological serial can also be a top successful subject to be made a serial (through Ramayana). What is your statement in this context?

Jyoti Sagar: Ramanand Sagarji, my grandfather always believed that television is the perfect medium to show mythological content as film did not provide the liberty to tell every aspect of the story in as much detail as television. Ramayan was a result of this belief. Also a mythological show is wholesome family viewing it provides education of the mind in an interesting while also teaching values.

Himanshu Guru: Sagar Arts has always tried to entertain people with ideal topics, either a popular mythological topic or historical saga which depicts the glory of India. We would like to know what makes you take such (good) subjects, when other producers are ready to make any odd thing for business.

Jyoti Sagar: We, at Sagar Arts have always tried our best to tell stories with a moral angle and while entertaining the audience to also impart good values.

Himanshu Guru: What is your message to the audience for the upcoming serial 'Aasman Se Aage'?

Jyoti Sagar: Hope that this inspires people to rise above all odds and follow their dreams.

Statement of Nilanjana Purkayasstha, producer of 72 Degree Northe (SAGAR ARTS and 72 DEGREES NORTHE are the combined producer of so many serials including Chandragupta Maurya and the forthcoming 'Aasman Se Aage').

PRODUCER OF 72 DEGREES NORTHE (Nilanjana purkayasstha ) on 'Aasman Se Aage':

"This show is a unique concept and I had started to think no channel will dare to commission it! I am very happy that LifeOk is being bold and backing the idea in such a huge way. We have a very interesting cast and a dedicated team of technicians, dancers and creative people... Innovating all the time. I hope the audience likes the show ... Especially the ones who say "there is nothing different on tv". Different is a risk and we hope this gamble works."

Edited by ApoorvaFan - 11 years ago

Reality in fiction

Saturday, 21 April 2012 20:21
pioneer
Hits: 419

Be it about singing, dancing or any other genre, reality shows have always raised doubts about how genuine they, and the emotions they serenade, are. A new show on Life Ok delves into the reality behind reality shows, though in the fiction garb. NEHA VERMA travelled to Mumbai for the launch of this different show. A report

Sunidhi Chauhan, Shreya Ghoshal, Ranvijay Singh, Ayushmaan Khurana, Abhijeet Sawant, Shakti Mohan, Dharmesh and Kamal Khan ' these are some names which have left a mark on public memory. Tagged as the Indian Idol, India's best dancing superstar, Roadie or the voice of the nation ' they have climbed the ladder of success and popularity, courtesy reality shows.

It's been 17 years since the first reality show came on Indian television, starting off with the ace singing show Sa Re Ga Ma. Since then, there have been a number of reality shows like Indian Idol, Dance India Dance, MTV Roadies, India's Got Talent and many more, giving young talent a ready platform. But since then there has also been a brewing debate ' how real are these reality shows?

Do reality shows exploit the hunger of a person to be recognised? Do they explore talent, based on aggression or strength, based on the ability to create drama? Are producers looking for real talent or just the participants who can raise their TRPs? Do participants need to hone negative qualities and thrive on a fairy tale like reality, gripped by peer pressure in the blind pursuit of fame and money? Is talent enough to win these competitions? Do family equations change after a child brings in the prize money? Are contestants from humble backgrounds preferred owing to their lack of opportunities? Are contestants mere puppets in the mad race for TRPs?

To answer these questions, Life OK which claims to have reached out to 80 crore viewers in just three months of inception, is coming up with its new fiction show Aasman Se Aagey. The show will unveil both sides of talent reality shows ' glamour that's only onscreen and manipulations which dominate the backstage. "The show is based on the theme of talent reality shows. It is for today's  youth who have become super ambitious to get fame. These people stand in long queues for days to get that one chance. We are trying to show them both the sides of these shows. We are not making a statement that they should participate or not participate, only trying to tell them that they should be aware of the various aspects of being a part of this glamourous business," says Ajit Thakur, General Manager, Life OK.

Aasmaan Se Aagey revolves around Meenaxi, a talented dancer who works as a sweeper in a mall. She has big dreams and wants to become a star. Like many others, she also tries her luck through an audition for a dance reality show. What happens to her is what the show is all about. "I am playing Meenaxi who wants to become a big dancer and owing to the kind of family she comes from, it's only through a talent hunt that she can find a way to live her dreams," Ojaswi Oberoi tells you. Meenaxi's journey spans from being a struggler to a troubled person consumed by fame and glamour.

There are many who would relate to Meenaxi. "I find my story very similar to Meenaxi's. It's always difficult to reach the top. There will be a point when you will have to choose between an easy shortcut and a difficult long route. Some speed breakers would come, but one should tread with dignity. People will always try to manipulate, but it's your choice to accept or not," says Rakhi Sawant, the Bollywood actor who has been part of several reality shows on TV.

Sawant is disappointed to have never won a reality show. "I have never won a reality show and would just reach the runners-up position. I feel bad because things are manipulated at times," she admits.

Talking about the humble background acting as an advantage, the first Indian Idol winner Abhijeet Sawant insists he won not because of his background but because of his talent. "I come from a humble background and I could have never made it so big without this platform. It was my need to win more than my want," Abhijeet tells you.

The show Aasmaan... has three actors playing reality show judges ' Apoorva Agnihotri aka Producer DC, Manini Mishra as Manini De and Rajiv Khera as Sanam, the controversial man in a woman's garb. These actors have themselves been at the receiving end of manipulations in reality shows. "My wife Shilpa and I have been the contestants on Nach Baliye Season 2. We were eliminated the day we gave our best performance. Everyone was shocked. There are manipulations on shows," Agnihotri reveals. Manini who was a co-contestant felt disturbed when she was eliminated. "I kept thinking what went wrong and how," she says.  With such true to life stories, the show will go on air from April 23.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/sunday-edition/others/small-screen/59443-reality-in-fiction.html

• 25 Apr 2012
  • Hindustan Times (Mumbai)
  • Kavita Awaasthi kavita.awaasthi@ hindustantimes. com

New TV show delves into reality TV

Actor Apurva
Agnihotri returns to the small screen in a 'grey' role

With reality TV getting bigger by the day, fiction shows now want a slice of the pie. The plot of the newly launched show, Aasman Se Aagey (ASA) on Life OK, delves into the world of reality TV and the price that contestants pay for success. The show revolves around a dancer, Meenaxi, who dreams of making it big.

Apurva Agnihotri

Post Bidaai, TV actor Apurva Agnihotri returns to the tube in in show, playing a grey role. Apurva says, "ASA is about what happens behind the scenes. I play the producer-director of a show called DC, who causes all the drama. He is the incarnation of Lucifer. He wants to control his world and rule over it."

Apurva explains why he chose this project, "I would rather take a break than do an average show. I was waiting for a powerful role and I am glad ASA came to me."

Sources claim the show will include some candid moments from various reality shows too. Having participated himself in several reality shows, such as Nach Baliye and Pati Patni Aur Woh, Apurva says, "All reality is make believe. I feel most of them are scripted. Star Plus' Survivor was the only one I thought was 'real'." FAZILA ALLANA, DIRECTOR, SOL PRODUCTIONS (JUST DANCE, SWAYAMVAR-3: RATAN KA RISHTA): None of our shows have been scripted. But because of certain other shows, the integrity of reality shows has plummeted. We need to get it back to a respectable level. SERVICES (ROAD DIARIES, BEG BORROW STEAL 3): Reality TV is evolving from naughty, cheeky shows to encouraging people to do what they want. They are as real as they can get. Usually a reality show puts people in contrived situations from which they have to work their way out.

Screenindia-Lifting the veil of reality tv-ASA

t's an Abracadabra world, where situations are conjured, packed and marketed. Deep down, we love to live in an elsysian world cloaked in the garb of reality. Playing on this human psychology and for all its brouhaha of being fair and just, reality television is truly in the eye of the storm with questions being raised on its credibility. The most common angst is that the deserved candidate never gets his or her due. All that the young, nubile mind gains is undue pressures, cut-throat competition and heartburn.

Aasman Se Aagey, which went on air on April 23 on Life OK, attempts to rip apart the behind the scenes happenings of such shows where talent alone is not enough to win the title. The show's protagonist is a young girl who dares to dream big. Just like thousands who flock to audition centers for that one in a million chance, Meenaxi participates in a dance reality show, hoping to win the competition. Hailing from a humble background, a cleaner who works in a mall, the show traces her journey to her final goal. Does success and fame strip her of her innocence as she gets taken in by the all-consuming world of fame and glamour?

According to Ajit Thakur, general manager, Life OK, the core thought behind the show is that dreams and aspirations are fine but at what cost? The story is told in two phases. The first part deals with Meenaxi's journey to name and fame through compromise and the second involves hard work, persistence and relentless ambition without compromising on values and principles. The reason for choosing a dance format for the fiction show is obviously the entertainment quotient it offers. Ajit says, "The show essentially focusses on youth's fascination for instant name and fame, which all channels are cashing on. While they make their profits without paying a penny to commoners who give three months of their lives , contestants do not realise the impact ambition and greed for fame and glamour have on their lives."

Ajit admits that all this is done to raise the TRP ratings. Promising not to fall in the trap of ratings, he admits that not all shows are manupulated. However it is quite obvious that some of them are. "We will not deviate from our research and brand promise," he assures. Incidentally, the show fits perfectly into the channel's brand positioning—aspire and dream for a better life but be happy with what you have.

The show has Maninee Mishra and Rajesh Khera playing judges while Apoorva Agnihotri plays a manipulative producer of a dance reality show. Interestingly, Rajesh dresses like a woman but refuses to reveal the reason behind it. Though all the three actors have participated in such shows, none admit that they are rigged. "I wouldn't know, but my elimination from a reality show came as a surprise to me," admits Apoorva. While Maninee says that she is not cut for reality TV, her experience wasn't pleasant. Rakhi Sawant, the show's brand ambassador, says that she has done many reality shows but won none. "I don't know whether they are rigged. But I did my best. I expected to win some and walk away with the prize money. But I went home empty handed," she sighs.