Hollywood Movies & Stars
Hollywood Movies & Stars

India-Forums

'X-Men' conquers the box office

-Nadii- IF-Veteran Member
-Nadii-
-Nadii-

Posted: 29 May 2006 at 10:27am | IP Logged
LOS ANGELES (AP) - X-Men: The Last Stand scored an estimated $107-million three-day opening, the largest ever for a Memorial Day weekend and the fourth-biggest in box office history. Preliminary estimates were released Sunday for the third instalment of the series featuring a cast of mutants with names like Storm (Halle Berry), Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) and Mystique (Rebecca Romijn). The 20th Century-Fox film opened in 3,690 theatres and grossed a whopping $28,997 per screen. "People had such a huge awareness of the movie that it just translated into these huge numbers," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations. The film benefited from a huge base of fans who had seen the first two X-Men films, plus great marketing and solid reviews, Dergarabedian said. "This is what the summer is all about," he said, adding that the box office had rebounded well since last year's slump. "With Da Vinci Code doing better than anticipated . . . we could not be in a better position."

< =1.1 src="http://ads5.canoe.ca/js.ng/site=canoe.ca&VChannel=jam&SubChannel=music&Category=section&=big&HChannel=entertainment">
Estimates for The Da Vinci Code over the start of the holiday weekend were not immediately available. That film, starring Tom Hanks and directed by Ron Howard, had a solid $77-million opener last weekend.

Canadians Ellen Page and Shawn Ashmore in "Xmen: The Last Stand."
On the all-time list, X-Men: The Last Stand ranks behind only Spider-Man, Star Wars: Episode III and Shrek 2 for opening weekend gross. None of the other films opened on a holiday weekend, which usually gives movies a boost. For Memorial Day openers, X-Men crushed the previous three-day high of $72 million, set by The Lost World: Jurassic Park in 1997.

Final box-office figures were expected Monday.

Traveller Senior Member
Traveller
Traveller

Posted: 31 May 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged
really want to watch it! Smile
shahidlover24 IF-Sizzlerz
shahidlover24
shahidlover24

Posted: 31 May 2006 at 7:03pm | IP Logged
Seems really interesting! I guess I'll watch it when the DVD comes out Embarrassed
Artemisia Channel Moderator
Artemisia
Artemisia

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 9:34am | IP Logged
yeah me too if i go watch it now itll be on the smaller screen no point
hope it comes out soon
thanks for this yaar
shushfs Senior Member
shushfs
shushfs

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 8:40am | IP Logged
well I watched it yesterday and it was awesome, gonna watch it again next week with my hubby.....hugh jackman is yummy LOL so i drolled all i could yesterday while I was there with my friend

U know my husband is a hunk too so it wouldnt be fair to droll while he's there Wink
Traveller Senior Member
Traveller
Traveller

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 12:16am | IP Logged
Smile i think im going to go crazy watching hugh jackman!! hes "the" image for a hero Embarrassed Embarrassed but i dont understand these theatres sometimes...my cousins who are underage wanted to go and cudnt watch it coz xmen is branded with an A certificate..only ppl 18 and above can go...i think thats crazy,im sure xmen cant be unsuitable for kids,tho i havent yet watched it...but do u think it is?
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top