11/4 Episode Discussion - Page 3

Posted: 12 years ago

@ Shri: I think she has her world view and it comes crashing with Vidhyapathi's world view, but because there is love in that relationship it does not escalate into bad arguments.

Whereas she tries to instill her values on the children but sometimes she is overruled by Vidhyapahti. So her children have two distinct examples to follow. Swati followed her mother. Krishna follows her father majorly and she has been given his set of principles to follow to a major extent. Ravi is getting out of both their hands. Chanchal is imbibing all the characteristics of her parents and her siblings.

In short, I have no idea what to say about Saraswati Raj. She is too multifaceted and contradictory.But all her arguments lead to running the house and her daughters getting married.

The lack of being able to pay the cable bill might have been one instance where she had run out patience with Chanchal's talk and she needed to shut her up quick.

Edited by AngelDark - 12 years ago
@Shri: I don't think the inconsistency of Saraswati's character is an aberration. I think that is her character. She has no principles that overrule her entire life and thinking, the way that VP and Krishna do. She does what is most convenient and fights for survival at every turn. She doesn't really weigh the pros and cons of a situation, think deeply about their effect in the future or how they align with her principles. There is absolutely no thought for the long term. This can be explained by their poverty and how she has had to manage so much with so little money. Her life was about minute to minute survival.

And I think the VP-Saraswati relationship works so well because they are completely co-dependent. He brings in the money and she manages it, she takes care of the childrens' needs and he nurtures them intellectually and emotionally, at least in the case of the girls. However, with Ravi it is different, Saraswati is the nurturer in that case and we can clearly see the difference in Ravi's entitled upbringing when compared to the very level-headed girls of the family.

So I think that Saraswati just rolls with the punches, that itself is her character thanks to her lifelong struggle for mere survival.
I'd like to further add that Krishna did not share her letter from Pintu with her mother first. It was her father she shared it with, so at gut instinct level she knows that her father will be level headed and not blast her for that, unlike her mother. I think she knew what she was doing when she shared it with her father, but there was 5% doubt how he will take it because it was new kind of dilemma she was in at this stage.

If Krishna had shared the letter with her mother she would have blasted her to hell and back. So I will shortcut my argument and say that this also shows that Saraswati is a bit hot-headed.😆
Well, Krishna never considers her mother as apt mate for intellectual talk. That is given and understood. No argument about that.

We have seen plenty of times, Krishna reacting to Saraswati only in bounds ..she either will give in to her mother's wish or will not. It will be either yes or no.  Never will she have any argument with her.

Why would a girl do that when she had plenty of evidences before, like getting the cerificate torn etc...

And that is the reason why she stops her father from arguing with her mother day before yesterday. She keeps the matter between herself and her mother and chooses to stay quiet at that minute, but then next day does not stop even for 2 minutes deliberation before visiting Pinto.

My point was ..I get it that Saraswati having got the role to be nurturer, has become like the way she is. But my argument is qualitatively this is not good. A woman reduced to not use her finer intelligence, but just take care of mundane responsibilities...its tough, I get that. When Krishna became BDO and Saraswati saw her on Television, she forced herself to see things differently. She remembered the torn certificate scene. This is character growth. Earlier in giving the undiluted milk, she showed yet another growth.

Sarwaswati is now falling to new kinds of challenges...having to deal with a BDO daughter. I guess its going to be difficult for her also, from now on. There is no tradition here to follow. So what kind of fall out we will have between these two women, we will have to wait and watch.

So I have collected my thoughts to see Saraswati from this poor mother's struggle point and how she manages, what are her means to ends, how much ego she allows for herself and where can she let go of her pride or ego or for that matter allow love.

When in school, one of the all time favourite hindi assignment for our teachers was asking us ti write essay on "GARIBI EK ABHISHAAP" ..  (Poverty is a Curse). OMG, it used to be the most boring one and head racking one on what to write and what not to...So I am kind of now in that state watching Saraswati and Ravi. 😆 And would you guess why that essay was so important ? It was because of Indira Gandhi so famous "Garibi Hatao" Political campaign post emergency period. So it was a political subject and children like us forced to understand Garibi and its implications, ramifications and how to get out of it. 😳

Edited by shridevigaddam - 12 years ago

@Shri: What you just said, triggered this song in my memory.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPIm88cMQOk[/YOUTUBE]

My parents used to listen to this.

@Shri: No, actually I don't think Saraswati was the nurturer in their family at all. She was the one that provided them their needs and made sure they were fed, clothed and that their school fees was paid. VP was the nurturer who actually was able to listen to his children, relate to them as people, understand and encourage their dreams and perform all the parental tasks which are on a much more emotional and intellectual plane.

The only exception was Ravi who was the only child nurtured by Saraswati by virtue of being male. So what I was trying to say was that Saraswati has her strengths and among them are the ability to manage the survival of the family from day to day, month to month and year to year, as Krishna mentions in the very first interview. However, her role does not extend to any emotional understanding but it doesn't have to as long as VP has that end covered, which is why I said they are co-dependent.

For her marriage is just another one of the practical needs that has to be taken care of and so she concerns herself with it. But much more immediately the cable bill is in order so she handles things as they come. Also the declaration of using Krishna's money for the cable bill came after VP said she shouldn't get married for a while. So maybe that was also her way of accepting the situation of her earning daughter contributing to the household.

Sam,
I called Saraswati nurturer in the sense of feeding required for basic sustenance. Vidya earns, but eod Saraswati is the one feeding the family along with other sustaining requirements like clothing, education etc.
Did not put her as the nurturer in the intellectual and emotional sense, both of which are needed for children in their growing years.

@Angel

Lovely sweet Adorable pics Angel .Thanks .  lovedd it .😳

Wowww Nice Discussion going on Saraswati , Well I also think like Sam tht It's Saraswati's basic nature which was shown from Day1 she was introduced . She never ever thought about long term effect but she always was a impulsive decision maker who wout even thinking abt aftereffectes used 2 take decisions and now also she is doing the same , So nothing changed in her , She is the same which she was before .
Edited by moniluvskinshuk - 12 years ago