India-Forums

Punar Vivah
Punar Vivah

Scary Saas grows more sympathetic

LuvStrk-001 IF-Dazzler
LuvStrk-001
LuvStrk-001

Posted: 08 April 2012 at 9:10pm | IP Logged

If the mother-in-law is constantly on the look out for that ideal bahu,the opposite  is also be true. So, Hindi television serials gets no thanks for religiously distorting the image of the former into a serially pigheaded creature, fanatically following her own whims, and plotting against her son's, wife. Let's take for instance, Dadisa (Surekha Sikri) of Balika Vadhu, a show on Colors.

Dadisa was initially portrayed as a strong, orthodox woman, who supported child marriage. For her, the bahu's job was to, 'clean , cook, take care of family members.'

She never allowed her bahu to leave the home or interact with other women in the village. As for educating her daughter-in-law. That was strictly a no-no.However, Dadisa has now metamorphosed for the good of all familykind. She supports both her daughters-in- law, giving them freedom and liberty. She makes sure that everything is under control and constantly taunts them.  But in a healthy way. In the process, viewers who once hated Dadisa, have begun to love her altered avatar.

On the contrary, Shailaja Kashyap (Supriya Pilgaonkar) of Sasural Genda Phool on Star Plus, is the  ideal saas. Loving and caring to the point of being nauseatingly so, from the beginning of the show.

There were reports that her character inspired people in the real world to change their behaviour.

Another example is Savita Damodar Deshmukh, (Usha Nadkarni) of Pavitra Rishta, a popular family show on Zee. Deshmukh was initially a cruel mother-in-law, who did all kind of no-good things to create a barrier between her bahu from son, and torture the girl. She sent a negative message to viewers, particular homemakers who watched saas bahu sagas with religiosity, ignoring their chores.

But after a few episodes, Deshmukh's character changed towards the positive. She began to love her bahu like her own daughter. One incident triggering the transformation, was when the latter saved her life.

The saas-bahu's khatta meetha rishta has provided plenty of fodder for tv producers.

And their newest playground seems to be playing around with the profile of the mother-in-law.

Ektaa Kapoor's Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi was one of the first serials to present a sea change in the perception that you can't be great friends with the mum-in-law or daughter-in-law.

Shobha (Geeta Tyagi) of Punar Vivah, who plays a loving saas, observed, "Producers distort the image of mother in laws to create drama. They think it appeals to viewers. But in reality, it only provides negativity." Tyagi added, "My own mother has three daughters-in-laws and treats them the  way she treats me. She never indulges in stupid scheming. But now more 'good' mothers-in-laws are appearing on soaps. Like my character, who loves her bahu, Aarti. She disowns her son because he  wronged his wife. I really don't understand all this saans-bahu battlefield nonsense."

Agreeing with Geeta, Kokila Modi, (Roopa Patel) of Saath Nibhana Saathiya, (Star Plus) said, "There were saas bahu episodes where we saw mothers-in-laws and daughters-in-law quarrelled and argued all the time. It sent out negative vibes. I am working woman. When I go home, I watch a show for light, entertaining and positive energy. Peace of mind is important. Such shows irritate.

But  the trend is changing." She continued, "Several drectors have altered the avatars of the Saas and Bahus in a positive way. And new shows are being created. Take my character, Kokila Modi. She balances and handle everything well. She always stands for right. "Kokila supports her family. She also scolds a family member if they are doing something wrong."

Imarti Devi, (Hema Singh) of Kairi-Rishta Khatta Meetha on Colors, remarked, "Imarti Devi shares a sweet and sour relationship with her bahus. She praises them. She brings them down. She always gets her work done. If mothers-in-law are changing, its possibly because they have been thinking about their own daughters, and are interested in having some fun familytime."

Bindeshwari Kaushik, (Vibha Chibber) who plays the saas in Mrs Kaushik ki Paanch Bahuein (Star Plus), has the last word, chipping in, "Television can be an important message medium. Many people come up and tell me they used to hate my character."

But all that changed and she has become more endearing."

http://www.dailypioneer.com/vivacity/56138-scary-saas-grows-more-sympathetic-.html

The following 15 member(s) liked the above post:

Ok21mystifyreNandita1970rsshreelamsadigaagharshithaaaaaaashruti_luvs_mskmaneet_forever9anu93nycsweetie-ProudGCian-gafulu14pickachu..RamKiJanaki..

gafulu14 IF-Stunnerz
gafulu14
gafulu14

Posted: 08 April 2012 at 10:59pm | IP Logged
All the best pv

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LuvStrk-001

Indomitable IF-Dazzler
Indomitable
Indomitable

Posted: 09 April 2012 at 12:03am | IP Logged
Thanks for sharing, now we get to see the real saas bahu drama once again in this show that is between Gayatri, Paridi and Aarti..Wink

LuvStrk-001

Aarya4ever... IF-Dazzler
Aarya4ever...
Aarya4ever...

Posted: 09 April 2012 at 12:22am | IP Logged
But this saas is diffrent...use apni bahuon par hukum chalana accha lagta hai...I dont think she is ever going to support aarya

LuvStrk-001

-ProudGCian- IF-Sizzlerz
-ProudGCian-
-ProudGCian-

Posted: 09 April 2012 at 3:56am | IP Logged
Thanks for sharing yasmin sis...Smile

LuvStrk-001

LuvStrk-001 IF-Dazzler
LuvStrk-001
LuvStrk-001

Posted: 09 April 2012 at 4:40am | IP Logged
Originally posted by AmeTz

Thanks for sharing yasmin sis...Smile
U r welcome sis!!!!Tongue

-ProudGCian-

LuvStrk-001 IF-Dazzler
LuvStrk-001
LuvStrk-001

Posted: 09 April 2012 at 4:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by anupriyamishra

But this saas is diffrent...use apni bahuon par hukum chalana accha lagta hai...I dont think she is ever going to support aarya
Ya Gaytriji is different saas as dominating one...Supporting AarYa I dnt know hw far she is able to that!!!She may support also I think so!!!!Smile
shruti_luvs_msk IF-Rockerz
shruti_luvs_msk
shruti_luvs_msk

Posted: 09 April 2012 at 10:50am | IP Logged
shobha is really a nice saas 
more of a mother than a saas 
all the  best PV 

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index