Users

Frequent Posters

waitforit1 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Stanley Ka Dabba, definitely. 
Vedika211 thumbnail
I wouldn't call Stanley Ka Dabba non-manipulative, in that it did put in a certain twist at the end to make a stronger point about child labour.
Very few 'art' or 'different' films in Indian cinema can resist the temptation to make a point - look at Amitabh's voiceover at the end of Kahani, putting the climax in the context of the Durga Puja.
Salma2 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
WEDNESDAY is highly manipulative..there is no way a common man can do that.. Then 3idiots, CDI are too..

Non manipulative movies were made my Farhan's clan..DCH, ZNMD and even Rock on are higly natural, there is no over the top portions...
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: TheDilettante

Stanley Ka Dabba. I hope we get to see Amole Gupte's version of TZP some day.

I know the people who work at Tulip children in Bombay which inspired Amol Gupte. They worked with both him and Amir Khan for the movie. Amol is definitely more simplistic than Amir. Amir is too intense and perfectionist. If Amol had made the movie, it would have had a more informative documentary type feel to it.

---------------------

I watched Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu last night. I thought the second half dragged a bit but overall a no nonsense, non dramatic, simple movie. I liked it. Imran was okay but Kareena was fabulous. It's one of her best characters. 

At first I didn't know what I thought of the movie. The end surprised me for Bollywood. But after some time I think, I really liked the movie. It was something different. The boy meets girl, fall in love story is too clich. Also Bollywood also has this thing of falsely saying you eventually get who you want if you try hard enough. I hate the romantic notion of ceaseless wooing. So this was very non manipulative in my opinion. It is life. You don't always get what you want, but that's does not mean you can't still be very happy.

Edited by return_to_hades - 12 years ago
-Anarkali- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
A Wenesday
Wake Up Sid
Ek Main Aur Ek Tu
Chalo Dilli

Originally posted by: ItIsMyLife

The Dirty Picture.

I agree here.The movie managed to show the hypocrisy of the film industry but the characters were written in a way that you wouldn't feel sympathy for Silk at the end of the movie.
sub_rosa thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: dkdc

I wouldn't call Stanley Ka Dabba non-manipulative, in that it did put in a certain twist at the end to make a stronger point about child labour.
Very few 'art' or 'different' films in Indian cinema can resist the temptation to make a point - look at Amitabh's voiceover at the end of Kahani, putting the climax in the context of the Durga Puja.

Making a point is important, I think. Underlining that point in an oppresive manner lest anybody in the audience fails to see it, is manipulation.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I know this is a Bollywood thread, but when it comes to non-manipulative films you have to discuss Boondock Saints. Firstly, Boondock Saints is a totally awesome and kickass film. And it ends with a very interesting question – are they saints fighting against injustice or are they also criminals taking the law in their own hands?

Crash! Is another film that comes to mind. It is one of my favorites. It shows the grey shades of racism and prejudice. We are both racists and victims of racism at the same time. There is like no good or bad person in the film. Every time you think someone is bad, they do something heroic. Every time you like someone, they do something asinine. It shows people as morally gray changing upon circumstance.

ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: BheegiBasanti

Udaan...I think it deserved to be a far greater hit than it was!

Amen.
crusty thumbnail
Originally posted by: Omnipotent_Taco

Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron and all the Basu Chatterjee and Hrishida masterpieces :)

edit: spelling

I am a huge, huge fan of Hrishikesh Mukherjee films. They just reflect on life, human tendencies and behaviour in such a light-hearted yet poignant manner. It is amazing how one can connect with his films even though one does not belong to that era.Such a gifted director he was. *sigh* They don't make 'em like that anymore.
Edited by drummedup - 12 years ago