Dramatic themes and such...April 7th episode.

Posted: 12 years ago
Hello,

First I just have a little rant to make before I get to the performances. Bear with me please. 

What was up with the melodramatic acts today!? 😕 Especially from Remo's side. I found it a little OTT to be honest. Both Mohena and Sanam's performances especially...WAYY too melodramatic for a not so big a deal concept. Seriously, the phone act was so W*F-ish...what is the big deal? Sure we use phones a lot these days...but it's not SUCH a huge issue also! Weird. Same with Mohena's act...I didn't really connect with it because of the melodrama. It was like watching one of the millions of TYPICAL desi soaps we have. Totally lame, OTT, and backwards. Bleh. Dancing on this show has gone SO frickin' superficial man. And why SO much preachyness? 😕 

Ok coming to the performances:

Pradeep: One of the saving graces of today's episode. He was awesome! The one act of today's episode that wasn't all depressing and sadistic types. :P It was a full on fun performance. And I loved getting to see some innovative dance steps...and that too DONE WELL! That's the most important part. :P 😆 Pradeep had great control and energy. I thought he was very enjoyable to watch...and I liked his ease again. 👍🏼 Props.

Mohena: Another BLEH act. I fail to see what was so great about it. I thought it was lame, pretentious, OTT, regressive and POINTLESS. Plus, the main thing really is that Mohena's ACTUAL dancing...just her actual movements aren't really that great. She doesn't have that stretch..that HOLD...that patience or control in her movements like Shakti did. I fail to see how people can even begin to compare her with Shakti who was just way too awesome at this contemporary style. Her stretch alone used to be complete and full out...you could FEEL that emotion stretching through her body. Mohena dances TOTALLY in a half-baked, uninterested manner. Honestly, I have NEVER got the feel that she even actually LIKES to dance!! 😕 Plus Remo's choreography and concept was so pathetic. It reminded me of the type of lame tactics typical desi soaps use to shock/manipulate their audience into watching their dumb shows. Those TRP-ShiRP type ke gimmicks. And a totally inappropriate use of this song too. LAME. So not interested. 🥱👎🏼

Abhik: He was ok...yes he has the maturity and all...but I thought the choreography wasn't as deep or meaningful as the concept. Dancing wise he was good no doubt...and I did like that "kabooter" step he did. Concept was interesting but the choreography didn't really have the depth. I didn't get that addiction feel really. It looked more to me like Abhik was mentally disturbed (which is the case with addictive behaviours too)...but that alcoholic addiction didn't really come through to me. Maybe if Geeta had put a little more research, sensitivity and THOUGHT into this act it would've worked better. Plus I don't think the song choice worked either. If Geeta wanted to use this song...she should've brought out the essence of it more I feel. Because alot of times I thought Geeta focused on the dramatization of the concept instead of bringing out the emotions in the music. So that combination didn't fit. Anyways, this was an ok act for me...I've liked Abhik's previous intense acts better. 

Raghav: I quite liked this act. :) I am always blown away just by the SOUL Raghav brings into his performances. Yeah, some of his dance steps are definitely repetitive...but he manages to bring out a different emotion...additional creativity and a different part of his personality each time. What I also like...as I've expressed so many times already...is his ability to enhance and exaggerate emotions through his dancing. And he always manages to just CAPTURE the entire essence of his music...the emotion, the lyrics and the tune. That's what I find really genius in his dancing. I really liked that laughter bit he did...see there's certain bits and moments in his dancing that just blow me away, honestly. He uses his slow mo style very well to FIT his music piece. It's like he really LISTENS to his music and uses it creatively. Anyways...the one thing I did find wrong though was when he was doing that step where he holds his entire body on that pole. He was faltering there. Raghav clearly doesn't have much core strength..or just body strength in general thanks to his "biceps and triceps"...:P 😆 He does remind of me Prince that way...lol...do "sukude bodyguards" hain dono. :P haha. But other than that, I enjoyed watching him dance and do his thing that he does so well. I liked his family too. 😆 And oh HILARIOUS how he was listing all the styles he's done...bahahaa "Arial bhi kiya hai"...🤣 Aww he makes me laugh. 😆

Sanam: LOL Unintentionally hilarious once again. Jeez yaar...he just can't do his movements right...there's something SO amiss about his dancing...man he needs a proper trainer who will actually criticize him...tell him EXACTLY where he's going wrong so he can correct it once and for all because otherwise he's going to get way too comfortable dancing like that. I could see his effort in this performance too. He wasn't easy at all. Plus Remo's choreography/concept was again, LAME. I frankly think that this cell phone issue would've affected me more if this had been shown in a less OTT and preachy manner. Perhaps in a lighthearted or comic way. Because it's not THAT big a deal also. And if you do think that it is a big deal...then show it in a way that makes people care. 

Neerav: God, how BORING was he today! I was just bored out of my mind. I'm glad he's out. I didn't get the point of doing half the performance out in the hall either. 😕 Stage kis liye hota hai bhai? Weird. I was just cracking up looking at that security dude who was muft mein part of the performance. 😆

Rajasmitha: It was ok. Some bits I thought she did well...with energy and power and everything. Some bits she lacked that stance/grace and control also. Choreography could've been better when the music got more powerful. 

Anyways...overall it was an ok episode only...hopefully tomorrow is better. lol I seem to have this exact thought for each Saturday episode it seems. And Terence was being diplomatic again today. 
I agree with most of your points, thought I disagree with a few.
My least fav performances from Saturday's episode were Mohena and Neerav, followed by Rajasmita.

I agree about Mohena's performance. I too felt the same. The thing is that this concept has been used so many times in dance performances (whether its DID or SYTYCD) and that too with better choreography and dancing. Plus, the expressions seemed so forced. I just failed to see anything 'WOW' about this act. No idea how it got a chumeswari and grand salute. Remo's 'now thats ...' well i don't even acknowledge that anymore.

Neerav's performance was blah... he had to leave.

Rajasmita's performance was energetic and strong but like you said she lacks grace and the ability to emote herself. I want to see her do such a performance which we have yet to see from her. And when I say graceful I don't mean sensual, even though her sensual performances too havent been very convincing.

Another thing about her performance, why was it shown after Pradeep's phone call. Usually all the dances are shown then they show the other things just to fill up the time. Plus when Pradeep was talking to his fan on the phone, at one moment the camera zoomed in on the contestants' sofa and I swear to God I saw the golden feather on Rajasmita's topi.  I found that so random cuz we all know the show is not telecasted live and it goes through heavy editing before it is aired, so why couldnt they fix this little blemish. Wierd!

Sanam; I agree with you that the message would not been conveyed better if it was portrayed in a light hearted way rather than a preachy way, as was the case. However, this time I actually felt his performance itself wasnt that bad, though definitely far from being 'one of the best performance on DID' as GM mentioned. It was much better than his previous performances for sure.

Raghav: I actually enjoyed his performanced yesterday. I'm not a big Raghav fan and yes I do find him very repetitive and even though he did slo-mo again yesterday, I actually liked this one - lets just say it was a bit different that his regular slo-mo. I particularly liked the bit in the end where he bounces off the floor. That being said, I still don't think he deserves to be number 1.

Rgarding Pradeep and Abhik, I completely agree with you. In Abhik's performance the use of the concept that fell a bit short even though that didnt really matter to me cuz I thought he did really well- both dance wise and expression wise. I will be heartbroken if he gets eliminated next week, which seems likely. I hope Sanam or Mohena gets eliminated. Abhik doesn't deserve to get eliminated. On the contrary, he deserve to be in the Grand Finale. Pradeep was the best in my opinion by a huge margin. His moves were very clean and he was great. It reminded me of his 'adla badla' performance with Rajasmita where he completely outperformed and overshadowed her, even though both of their fortes are hip hop. Hopefully next week he will climb up the ranking order.

Originally posted by tawashe

I agree with most of your points, thought I disagree with a few.
My least fav performances from Saturday's episode were Mohena and Neerav, followed by Rajasmita.

I agree about Mohena's performance. I too felt the same. The thing is that this concept has been used so many times in dance performances (whether its DID or SYTYCD) and that too with better choreography and dancing. Plus, the expressions seemed so forced. I just failed to see anything 'WOW' about this act. No idea how it got a chumeswari and grand salute. Remo's 'now thats ...' well i don't even acknowledge that anymore.

Neerav's performance was blah... he had to leave.

Rajasmita's performance was energetic and strong but like you said she lacks grace and the ability to emote herself. I want to see her do such a performance which we have yet to see from her. And when I say graceful I don't mean sensual, even though her sensual performances too havent been very convincing.

Another thing about her performance, why was it shown after Pradeep's phone call. Usually all the dances are shown then they show the other things just to fill up the time. Plus when Pradeep was talking to his fan on the phone, at one moment the camera zoomed in on the contestants' sofa and I swear to God I saw the golden feather on Rajasmita's topi.  I found that so random cuz we all know the show is not telecasted live and it goes through heavy editing before it is aired, so why couldnt they fix this little blemish. Wierd!

Sanam; I agree with you that the message would not been conveyed better if it was portrayed in a light hearted way rather than a preachy way, as was the case. However, this time I actually felt his performance itself wasnt that bad, though definitely far from being 'one of the best performance on DID' as GM mentioned. It was much better than his previous performances for sure.

Raghav: I actually enjoyed his performanced yesterday. I'm not a big Raghav fan and yes I do find him very repetitive and even though he did slo-mo again yesterday, I actually liked this one - lets just say it was a bit different that his regular slo-mo. I particularly liked the bit in the end where he bounces off the floor. That being said, I still don't think he deserves to be number 1.

Rgarding Pradeep and Abhik, I completely agree with you. In Abhik's performance the use of the concept that fell a bit short even though that didnt really matter to me cuz I thought he did really well- both dance wise and expression wise. I will be heartbroken if he gets eliminated next week, which seems likely. I hope Sanam or Mohena gets eliminated. Abhik doesn't deserve to get eliminated. On the contrary, he deserve to be in the Grand Finale. Pradeep was the best in my opinion by a huge margin. His moves were very clean and he was great. It reminded me of his 'adla badla' performance with Rajasmita where he completely outperformed and overshadowed her, even though both of their fortes are hip hop. Hopefully next week he will climb up the ranking order.

Hey thanks for sharing your thoughts. I can always count on you to do that. :P :)

Fair enough that you don't think Raghav deserves that number one spot. I'm glad you liked his performance though. So did I. His dance steps are def. repetitive, no doubt. Even that end floor bit he did has become quite a common step for him. But this time again, it was performed differently. Mostly because of how well it fit with the music. And that whole idea of the music...that staggering into little pieces as you break down...Raghav portrayed that very creatively I must say. I just really like how he's able to use his music SO well. That's the talent I appreciate in him. Anyways, I don't know about number one and all, mannn...lol...but I do enjoy watching him dance. :)

Oh thanks for agreeing about Mohena's performance. Honestly it was just so damn REGRESSIVE!! Like what was the point of showing this? The "message" or whatever wasn't even portrayed convincingly! Plus like you said, this abuse concept has been done to death and that too in a MUCH more creative, subtle and overall better way. Mohena just irritates me now. Hardly any substance and so much unnecessary hype. 🥱

LOLL good observation with that editing glitch. haha...man the overall quality of this show is so going down. They really need to improve their standards. 

Regarding Sanam...you know what...I can't even compare his past performances anymore...I seem to forget all of his performances the next day after I watch them. He's a sweet enough kid otherwise...but he's got A LOT to work on with respect to his dancing. I just feel that the EFFORT shouldn't be visible. Sanam's effort is always visible even when he's doing his own style. He hasn't got the technique right...though I know nothing about it...even I can tell he's got it wrong...he totally needs some training I think. Plus it's just that the whole phone concept was irritating me too much. Too much OTTness for me. And those annoying sounds Remo uses na! KABHI bhi DHANG ka music choose nahin karta yeh banda! So Sanam's awkward dancing plus the lame choreography mixed with irritating/uninspiring music just made this act very annoying for me. And yeah we can say on a comparative basis that Sanam wasn't so bad this week etc...but the fact remains that he's got a lot to work on. He hasn't been consistently good...nor has he given one decent memorable performance on this show. 

Regarding Abhik and Pradeep...yes Abhik is a great dancer no doubt...but now I am starting to feel that he is getting shortchanged on choreography. I don't know...I don't think Geeta is really extracting his potential in the best way. Or in the right direction. He's CAPABLE of doing a lot...he can express, show maturity, can do all kinds of dance steps with flair and confidence...but he needs proper focus and choreography in order to showcase his talent. Now this act for example, I don't what Geeta's intention was for this performance because that addiction feel didn't come across to me. Kind of a half-baked, confused choreography. And for me, the choreography does matter into creating that overall impact. Because if Geeta isn't helping Abhik challenge himself and showcase his full potential...then isn't he better off training/dancing where he CAN bring out his full potential? Separate from this competition I mean? That's what I felt for Sneha G too...she's great as a dancer too...but if she was getting demotivated and not really benefiting from this competition, then isn't it better that she gets out and is able to do what she loves to do elsewhere? 

But yeah...Abhik is def. a much better dancer than Sanam or Mohena no doubt. But sadly neither of them will be eliminated any time soon.

Anyways, Pradeep was awesome indeed...totally agree. He deserves to win for sure. :)
Honestly speaking I didnt watch anyones performance in full other than Pradeep and Raghav. I skipped through the rest.

And whats with 5 contestants in the final this time?
 I know there were 13 contestants this time but I feel the veto isnt going to be used. First season there were 12 contestants but with the veto being used the show had to be extended a week so why not the same this time?
i kind of liked mohenas act it was really good and showed something that is very prevalent in our society today and how alot of women still struggle with abusive situations. My fave performance of the day was pradeeps...he rocked... loved raghav...he is one of my all time faves this season...he is awesome...and a hilarious and down to earth person...
Edited by neetusidhu - 12 years ago
actually i really loved Neerav's audition but then after that all his dance was just average until yesterday's one. . it was a sukun wala performance & sadly he had to go but yes this time the zee team took a correct decision. .
although am really much bored with Raghav bcoz of some repititive steps, honestly i always get excited about his performance coz he is my type but always get disappointed coz of some repititive steps like i said but again yesterday this one i enjoyed seriously. .
& Abhik he is just amazing he is next to Pradeep in terms of versatile. .
Pradeep again amazing performance & he can also do windmill?? & oh btw can anyone tell me what is his forte actually?? the rest i didnt watch i skipped purposely. .
Today i have to agree partially with you. 

Pradeep: He was amazing and my o my the control on his body, i was so hoping after performing with him remo will give him MJ band, why can he not give him the band when he has given everyone from rangeela the band? So lame

Mohina:  Agreed, the act was melodrama overdose. It reminded me so much of kruti's contemporary act in dks, even similar costume and me thinks, kruti did the choreography.
Anywho, what was it and even the concept was so boring. Its like done to death and even then, mohina wasn't that good, could not connect with the song, maybe some other song.

Abhik: For the first time i think geeta gave a decent act to him. compared to all the choreography he has been given, this one is really one of the best and abhik pulled it off with amazing maturity. Yes it could have been better, yes geeta didn't really research well, but still hats of to the boy. Finally when he has been landing in bottom 2 constantly, geeta abhi jag ke uthi. BUT it seems he will be eliminated next, he deserved to go to the finals.

Raghav: Good enough. but abhik was better than him in the similar themed contemporary act. He could have been better.
On a side note, it seems the funny bone runs in the family.

Sanam: The concept was quite good, specially after the  smart phones, i for one know my life totally depends on my phone and internet connection and i need to check it over and over again.
the music pieces, instrumental ones were set nicely, the song re ruk jare bande was so bizzare. 😕 why would  the song be relevant here?
but I must say this is sanam's best performance. Of all the contemporay acts he has been doing and app this is his forte, this is his best solo, he actually danced well today, well into the top 6 and he dances now.!!!!!!! TOo bad he still gets to go to the finals.

Neerav: word with pigbelly4myfeet. I hope ALL the masters stop using the backstage and the garden as a part of act, please dance on the stage. His elimination was quite okay.

Rajasmitha:  I watched the auditions again for easter break and watched her , the first one and the grand audition. she can do hip hope she did a contemporary piece with a bit of acrobatia in the first audition, her talent is totally wasted and she will prolly ride into her acrobatia gymastic wave to victory as well. Its a shame a real shame. geeta has stopped challenging her, giving her good dances. Week after week, all she does is acrobatia, gymnastic , freestyle dance. But she could do so so much more. her top 12 semi classical was outstanding. The song where she suddenly poses as krishna and lierally melts down , i almost died. That and now... what a shame and what a wastage.

Whats wrong with masters??? IN season 2, all of them were attacking other dancers for  repeating styles, i remember dharmesh and shakti being constantly attacked by other masters and this season, people keep on doing same stuff and mentors keep on praising them? hell give them the so called prized bands and all? and the real versatile guys just get overlooked and passed over?

I loved Pradeep's act and the ease with which he handled and used that hat...probably the most COMPLETE performance of this epi.

I enjoyed Raghav's act too especially the bit he did in the end...no one can do it like him...he's fab at that style...and his family was HILARIOUS...you can see where he gets his haazir-jawaab sense of humor from...I cracked up so much when his dad went, "Pehli baar iska koi result mere haath mein aaya hai"🤣🤣

Rest I don't have much to say...felt blaahhh through most of the epi...I concur with all your points on Abhik, Neerav, Sanam.
This season of DID is really disappointing!

The only performances I enjoyed yesterday were Pradeep's and Raghav's. Pradeep is a good dancer, but sometimes I just have trouble connecting with him. I don't know what it is, I can't pinpoint it, but despite him being a good dancer, I usually am not head over heels over his performances. However, yesterday, I really liked his performances. I don't know if it stood out because all the other performances were so mediocre, but I think credit is deserved where it's due, and Pradeep was awesome! I hate how the judges ignore and sideline him at times.

But I LOOOVEEDDD Raghav's performance yesterday! It blew me away. I don't know what it is, but when Raghav does slo mo, I can't take my eyes off of him. Yesterday's performance was one of his best performances until now! I loved hints of Terrence's choreography in his performances like the "adhuri kahani", etc. It was stunning!

Mohena and Sanam - such overrated performances! Mohena's concept was so been there, seen that. I didn't really see the point of the cell phone concept, I really didn't. Maybe Remo could've shown us the consequences of overusing cell phones. I didn't get the message or what he was trying to preach. It was random - I think the thought was there, but it wasn't fully developed before they decided to execute it. And of course, Remo was overly biased for no reason.

Rajasmitha is another one I have trouble connecting with. She doesn't come across as versatile to me, and I think she has trouble emoting. Regardless of the numerous variations in concept and choreography from Geeta, I feel like she's always the same. That spark is missing in her performances that I think it takes to be a winner.

Abhik was fine yesterday, he's grown on me. I thought Geeta's choreography was lacking yesterday. Neerav was mediocre, and his elimination was long coming. Hopefully they'll take him again in next season's JDJ and let him work on his choreography instead. Lol.
The best perfromances yesterday were Pradeep and Raghav definitely. Pradeep's act was so much fun. He's such an EASY dancer..and so hard-working. It was awesome. Pradeep deserves the finale and he deserves to win also.

Raghav's act was sooo good! Honestly..I want to be upset about the slo-mo again and again...but I can't help but be taken in everytime he does it. LOVED LOVED the bounce thing at the end. No one comes even close to touching him in his own style...he's somewhat of a phenomenom in some ways. And then the nautanki he does after his acts are just hilarious 🤣 Funny bone clearly runs in the family. 😆

Mohena's act was so been there done that. It was a total desi serial type thing...and it was too OTT.  It should have been another song as well. "Tanhai" doesn't really fit imo. What an overrated/overhyped performance.

Sanam. Oh my. WHAT an overrated act. "One of the best in DID ever."  Seriously? Somebody care to explain the concept/message to me because I  didn't really get it. Yes we're really dependent on our phones and we use them a lot, so...? It was half-baked in that sense..I didn't get what the message was...like *Woh Ajnabee* said, maybe we should have been shown the consequences of overusing our cell-phones..so we could connect to it more..because at the end I was like..huh? Why make a mountain out of a molehill?

Geeta...sigh. Near the finale time or closer to it, she starts getting lazy with the choreography. Same story every season. 🥱 Helloo!! THIS is the time to give your BEST stuff.
Rajasmita's performance was good in parts and not so good in other parts. Abhik danced well I thought--it was neat, clean, mature--like always actually. But the choreography should have been a little better so we could get the addiction MORE.

And yes why the heck are 5 people going into the finale?  Who does a finale with the top 5 dancers? 😕 Do they need to end early because of some reason?

Gahh. This season is SO POSITIVE. It feels so fake =/ All the masters seem so laidback like they don't really care what's going on. Remo's probbaly the most competitive but I think that's his basic personality only. Season 1 and 2 were such cut-throat competitions..the 3 masters were fighting through those 2 seasons (they praised each other also but there was a lot of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism for the contestants and the masters themselves--some was really petty too but that's not the point)..there was a mistake here and here..the choreography wasn't good...so and so's potential wasn't utilized, prop wasn't used well, execution was faulty, Prince/Shakti/Dharmesh NEED to do something new, etc. WHERE IS ALL OF THAT? Now we get: I loved this, loved this bit, loved that..you are so good, you deserve to be here, amazing concept/choreography, etc. 😕 Lather, rinse and repeat. 🥱

Is this some lame way of making us think the dancers this season are good?  😕