India-Forums

Diya Aur Baati Hum
Diya Aur Baati Hum

No Homonym-No IPS Officer

Avidfan Senior Member
Avidfan
Avidfan

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 2:35pm | IP Logged
I am sad to inform all lovers of Snadhyaji that unlike we thought, she is not going to pass her IPS exams, specially the grammar section. 

First, she does not know the meaning of Homonyms. It is not a term of philosophy or sentiment and none of that crap about tears from the eyes. 

It is a term of grammar which all of us learn at school as part of English grammar. 

It simply means words that sound the same or are pronounced the same but are spelt and mean differently. 

Examples are there/their, Carrot and/carat, allowed/aloud, ate/eight  and so on.  

So Sandhyaji instead of trying to be Bertrand Russell or Proust, just be simple and explain simply, specially to a child like Chotu. 

If you explain homonyms in the exams as you did to Chotu, you will weep real tears. 

As you are on grammar, you might as well learn what synonyms are!!

That is words that are different but have the same meaning such as on/upon. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

.SidraFatima_Q

-Raz- IF-Rockerz
-Raz-
-Raz-

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 2:54pm | IP Logged
oops...its either The cvz fault or Deepika/Sandhya dialogue...i dont think it has anything to do with her
Avidfan Senior Member
Avidfan
Avidfan

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 3:01pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by _naksh_raz

oops...its either The cvz fault or Deepika/Sandhya dialogue...i dont think it has anything to do with her

Of course it is not Deepika's fault and Sandhya is a fictional character!!  The comments are about that fictional person. 
Fatima_Q IF-Sizzlerz
Fatima_Q
Fatima_Q

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 3:12pm | IP Logged
I beg to differ.

I think you're getting confused between homophones and homonyms.

Homonyms are words that are spelled the same but have different meanings like stalk and stalk, as in Plant stalk and stalk someone. Or as Sandhya pointed out to Chotu: well and well, as in I am well and this is a well.

You gave examples of homophones, words that sound the same but have different meanings.  Carat and carrot or pair and pear, pain and pane, etc.

So, looks like Sandhya will pass her IPS including the grammer section after all. Wink

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

RJMbib2011

Avidfan Senior Member
Avidfan
Avidfan

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ummesulaiman

I beg to differ.

I think you're getting confused between homophones and homonyms.

Homonyms are words that are spelled the same but have different meanings like stalk and stalk, as in Plant stalk and stalk someone. Or as Sandhya pointed out to Chotu: well and well, as in I am well and this is a well.

You gave examples of homophones, words that sound the same but have different meanings.  Carat and carrot or pair and pear, pain and pane, etc.

So, looks like Sandhya will pass her IPS including the grammer section after all. Wink

I think that Homonyms and Homophones are within the same category. So we are both right and Sandhya is wrong either way. By the way if you see it is actually Chotu who gives the well example. 

In linguistics, a homonym is, in the strict sense, one of a group of words that share the same spelling and the same pronunciation but have different meanings.[1] Thus homonyms are simultaneously homographs (words that share the same spelling, irrespective of their pronunciation) and homophones (words that share the same pronunciation, irrespective of their spelling). The state of being a homonym is called homonymy. Examples of homonyms are the pair stalk (part of a plant) and stalk (follow/harass a person) and the pair left (past tense of leave) and left (opposite of right). A distinction is sometimes made between "true" homonyms, which are unrelated in origin, such as skate (glide on ice) and skate (the fish), and polysemous homonyms, or polysemes, which have a shared origin, such as mouth (of a river) and mouth (of an animal).[2][3]

In non-technical contexts, the term "homonym" may be used (somewhat confusingly) to refer to words that are either homographs or homophones.[1] In this looser sense, the words row (propel with oars) and row (argument) are considered homonyms, as are the words read (peruse) and reed (waterside plant).

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Juna04

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top