Armu4eva

Coolbie

Armu4eva

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 12:51pm | IP Logged

Anti heroes take over prime time

Shruti Jambhekar, TNN | Apr 6, 2012, 12.00AM IST
Anti heroes take over prime time
Karanvir Bohra
They're a potpourri of the good, bad and sometimes even the ugly. Meet prime time's most envied anti heroes 

There's something about the grey shade that draws attention. In the dichotomy of the good vs the bad, characters with shades of grey on television shows have always grabbed audience's attention and have become popular. Remember the ideal son, lover and husband Anurag of Kasautii...Zindagi Kay? His was the character moulded to perfection. But with his enigmatic entry in the show Mr Bajaj played by Ronit Roy took all the share of glory with his impeccable performance. 

With audiences looking forward to characters no longer 'picture perfect' -the small screen has made way for the anti-hero. What's more, most of the characters are sketched to render it a factor of believability. Take a look at the current prime time slot. Talk of Ram Kapoor (Ram Kapoor) in Bade Achche Lagte Hain who constantly keeps arguing and blaming his wife Priya, Arnav Singh Raizada (played by Barun Sobti) in Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? who is always arrogant and rude with his newly acquired wife Khushi whom he blackmailed into a secret wedding, Viraj Dobrial (Karnvir Bohra) in Dil Se Di Dua...Saubhagyavati Bhav? or Sameer (played by Mrunal Jain) in Hitler Didi who leaves the female protagonist heart broken. That apart, aggressive and short-tempered Indu Singh (enacted by Anirudh Dave) of Ruk Jaana Nahin or Krishna ( Arhaan Behl) of Mann Ki Awaaz... Pratigya, and straying husbands Pradeep (Pawan Shanker) in Kya Huaa Tera Vaada and Jagya (played by Shashank Vyas) of Balika Vadhu also fit into the league of 'imperfect heroes! 

Producer Hemal Thakkar says, "Good guys with shades of grey make for interesting characters as they have a darker side with a heart of gold. The energy of such characters gives a different dimension to the character which creates interesting drama. And women audiences somehow love anti-heroes. Anti heroes surely raise the spice factor in the story. Shah Rukh Khan's Baazigar and Darr where SRK played the anti-hero had appealed to masses and classes." 

Agrees producer Sudhir Sharma. "Anti heroes are unconventional and unpredictable. Since audiences are used to seeing good guys playing male leads, when they see a protagonist in a grey shade, they find him more appealing. The anti hero character connects to audience for making it close to reality kind of image. With their good looks, anti heroes surely make female audiences happy!" he says. 

And how convinced are the actors who take up such 'grey' roles? Karanvir Bohra says, "Initially I was apprehensive about my image getting tarnished, I had to say yes to the role because it was so meaty and multi dimensional. Ekta Kapoor had given me a bad boy image in Kasautii... as well. She told me then 'bad is good' and I completely second that. If you are a good actor with a great screen presence and blessed by the almighty, there is nothing stopping you." 

Barun Sobti says, "To play a business tycoon who is arrogant, curt, no nonsense and always gets what he wants was something 'different' from the roles I'd done earlier. As it is TV doesn't have many variations to offer, in terms of roles/characters. So to play someone like Arnav was a challenge." 

No wonder then, even audience love these droolworthy grey guys over the boringly perfect heroes - probably because the audience also hopes that these anti heroes might just turn into good boys the minute they fall in love. Until then, going grey's one sure shot TRP-tripping formula for these small screen scorchers..

Edited by Armu4eva - 05 April 2012 at 12:51pm

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

nainasainiPristineSoul--Flora--..Naina..-Ramya-sub_rosa-scarlett-RoyalLEO_KrrishKhatamKahaniMS-meghasharmashanti05pyar-ishk

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "TOI: Anti heores take over primetime-Karanvir" in Dil se di dua... Saubhagyavati Bhava? forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

--Flora--

Goldie

--Flora--

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 1:11pm | IP Logged
Thanx for sharing..Aww Karanvir he is doing a fab job as Viraj Dobriyal..just cant praise him enough for his excellent portrayal of the character..

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

nainasainisub_rosamysticgoryfilmsRoyalLEO_KrrishMS-meghasharma

RoyalLEO_Krrish

IF-Sizzlerz

RoyalLEO_Krrish

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 1:40pm | IP Logged
Happpyyy bdaaayy...ROFLROFLROFL remember his scream on 100th episode..and Tj was also part of it...i am kinda having same excitement..Wink
Thanks a lot for sharing Tanu! Ur Awesome. Keep it up!
Flora there is No Question on that...WE ADORE our AntiHero! Totally Flat...dhapak down on ground...LOLLOLLOL

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

nainasaini--Flora---scarlett-

shanti05

IF-Stunnerz

shanti05

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 2:55pm | IP Logged
viraaj is an extremely complex character and KVB leaves no stone unturned to do due diligence to it

Its a tough role and playing it with different shades and convincing the audience with the authenticity of such character dimensions leaves a mark always Clap
Fine actor playing such a complex role and anti is a norm of life in reality which can go either way with the protagonist depending on the way it is rendered

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

nainasaini-scarlett-RoyalLEO_Krrishmysticgoryfilmspyar-ishk

RoyalLEO_Krrish

IF-Sizzlerz

RoyalLEO_Krrish

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged
i can go Gaga over these lines:

"If you are a good actor with a great screen presence and blessed by the almighty, there is nothing stopping you."

YESSS MY Superman!! Ur truly blessed and moreover u have strong creen presence!!! N Yes Bad is good! Approve

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

nainasaini

mysticgoryfilms

IF-Sizzlerz

mysticgoryfilms

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged
This is my first post on this forum. Although I visit frequently, I always refrain myself from posting because of some of the fans on this forum who go absolutely insane (although show it rather subtly) by a certain character's entry. Anyways, not commenting on that - or there will be chaos.

I have been watching this show from the beginning (well, to be specific from the 2nd episode) and absolutely enjoy every bit of it! Believe it or not, I did not quite know who Karanvir Bohra was back then when I watched it - I do remember seeing him before though and then it finally hit me - Kismat Konnection. Moral of the story, what attracted me to the show was Viraj and his complex character. The antics of Viraj were a sight to see and very entertaining as well! (Please just save the "Oh how can you watch the atyachaar on Jhanvi! You do know it's based on reality right?" - I watch it for entertainment which Saubhagya provides. The fact that it happens in real is a different matter altogether).

I completely agree with the article. Anti-heroes or heroes with grey shades are much more fun to watch then the boring-doodh-peta-adarsh-can-do-no-wrong-perfect-in-every-way man. The latter, I have realized, loses my interest in watching them very quickly. Anti-heroes with their multi-layer personality brings entertainment to the show in every way. And then, as the article said, it is so much fun to watch that anti-hero fall in love.

I started watching Karanvir Bohra's "Prem" from KZK a few weeks back by a recommendation from a friend, and I have to say... I don't think there was any better Prem out there. Seriously! His attitude was kick-ass which made Prem-Mukti's love story all the more beautiful and powerful.

I just have to say, Jhanvi can go to her savior if she wants, all I know is that I watch this show for Karanvir and mainly for Viraj. He is what makes the show entertaining. I seriously hope, if ever his character or track in the show ends, the show also ends. I would hate to see this "different" show on domestic violence turn into a sopping love story soon after.

Wow! That must have been my longest post in a while! LOL

**A minor comment to the inclusion of Arnav Singh Raizada in the article. I'm sorry. He is anything but an anti-hero or one with grey shades. His antics are so cartoonish it's embarrassing. Sleepy**

Edited by mysticgoryfilms - 05 April 2012 at 3:43pm

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

nainasaini--Flora--sub_rosa-Nakshatra-RoyalLEO_Krrish-SMay31-

RoyalLEO_Krrish

IF-Sizzlerz

RoyalLEO_Krrish

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 3:41pm | IP Logged
^^ Can I say SUPERLIKE to ur post? Big smile

btw I adore Barun..but he is not AntiHero for me..he is Hero..heheh

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-Nakshatra-mysticgoryfilms

mysticgoryfilms

IF-Sizzlerz

mysticgoryfilms

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 3:45pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Krrish87_sweet

^^ Can I say SUPERLIKE to ur post? Big smile

btw I adore Barun..but he is not AntiHero for me..he is Hero..heheh

Thanks. :)

And yes, Barun is a decent actor. But that show is a joke.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

nainasaini-Nakshatra-KhatamKahaniRoyalLEO_Krrish-SMay31-pyar-ishk

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.