Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

India-Forums

CVs, STOP SENDING DANGEROUS MESSAGES TO KIDS! (Page 16)

Maddy1270 IF-Dazzler
Maddy1270
Maddy1270

Posted: 09 April 2012 at 7:01am | IP Logged
the CVs seem to believe that anything goes in the name of plot twists... I've also been wondering why khushi doesn't say anything to payal or even to arnav... what's with all the secrecy... the same thought struck me that if she could throw hot tea on asr for supposedly touching her dupatta, why can't she do something more drastic to shyam: she could have stuck a pin into him and escaped... another thing that I don't understand is khushi's refrain of asr being her husband, so having the right to do anything to her [or words to that effect]... doesn't that also give the wrong message to impressionable minds

beware! your question about whether the CVs are teaching the wrong thing to impressionable minds may not go down well with some on this forum... they believe this being fiction, should be accepted for whatever is shown in the name of entertainment... but thank god some take things seriously!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

napstermonster

mozart66 IF-Dazzler
mozart66
mozart66

Posted: 09 April 2012 at 7:27am | IP Logged
Kudos for bringing up this most important issue Napstermosnter!!! Hats off! Story or no story, drama or no drama, just a serial or not, some things need to be told the right way, especially with the impressionable audience. We teach our kids right and wrong through story telling. Why? So that the point can be driven home. Then a serial is no different. Visual medium is even more potent than just narrating a story. CVs better pull up their socks and show something right.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

napstermonsterJShukla

IrishResearcher Newbie
IrishResearcher
IrishResearcher

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 1:31am | IP Logged
Totally agree with the writer of this post.

napstermonster

msin IF-Rockerz
msin
msin

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 1:45am | IP Logged
Yes totally agree this article reminds me that my younger cousin in her preteens was stalked by a male servant working in her house, she told her twin sister who told  my younger sister. The problem was all the 3 kids were less than 13 and this was like 15 years  back. They were scared to tell their parents.
The only consolation is they used to go everywhere in groups so thank the lord mercy no untowards damage occurred.
 When the parents came  to know,All of us were shocked, totally lost it. The scoundrel was punished..
The point is a lot of the children are scared , ashamed and confused..
The cvs have a great point and message they can use it.. If not Arnav... Khushi can surely tell Payal without hampering the storyline..as thought by cv.

napstermonster

s_suns Groupbie
s_suns
s_suns

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 2:14am | IP Logged
Its something many of us have thought i guess. But most of these dramas are stories derived from real life events and are a direct expression of our culture as one would say.

Is this our culture where women are not safe coz they cannot voice the injustice they feel????Do women have to martyr their souls for the immodesty of perverted men??? Mine you, the opposite can be implied as well. I love the art movie culture in india coz it identifies with practical stuff. I found that many soaps from the ancient ones revolve around family life, respect and mutual cooperation amongst different family members. Something I lacked in my extended family and yearn & strive for in my married one. Its based on respect of elders ( Kiyu ke saas was a prime example of it) and over the years it has broken barriers of society dealing with teenage love, marriage, equality regardless of cast or colour or creed and more over that things cannot be that bad. Look at gopi learning in saathiya. a clear msg to veiwers to encourage learning at any age esp in women.

This is not a sexist issue but a subject of morally and socially acceptable norms. If we dont stand by those principles, star plus would be the same as western soaps...simply distasteful! 

napstermonster

BrooklynJ Groupbie
BrooklynJ
BrooklynJ

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 3:52am | IP Logged
I think this is a serious issue and CV's need to handle this in a correct manner. My personal opinion is that the message should also include that in such instances one should look for someone who can provide the protection.

In Khushi's case Payal cannot do so and even if she tries Shyam can handle both of them together. Therefore a sensible decision for Khushi would be (and for any wife) is the man of the house Arnav. He is her prince anyway. So despite all odds she should be passing him the message that she needs protection. I know that sort of takes the MU out of the way which the CV's are so keen on dragging. But this is a serous issue and the CV's and Star Plus should actually take the opportunity to handle this in a very strong accurate manner so that the right message goes across to all the Indian women in India who struggle, with this sort of issue.

They should show how acting sensibly before disaster happens is important. By this I mean under no circumstatnces should theybe  showing how Shyam raped Khushi and how she could have avoided it but on the contrary it should be shown as to how cleverly rape and humiliation was avoided before it happens because she took the bold step to talk about it to some one who can help. This would be the Nayi Soch angle for Khushi.

napstermonster

blrgal Senior Member
blrgal
blrgal

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 4:53am | IP Logged
Excellent post !! this is not the right message and from day one this has been my grouse, allowing shyam to get away for stupid F^&%^% reasons... and it is not right. Shyam the horrible nasty guy needs to be taught a lesson and done smartly enough that youngsters watching this show will learn from it .. not hide !!

napstermonster

Japonica IF-Dazzler
Japonica
Japonica

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 5:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by napstermonster

Originally posted by rani-lucki

this is just a work of fiction... something made up
if the audience has the sense to understand wot is happening in the drama serial, they will hav a sense of not to follow the wrong things

Im sorry, there is something called responsible film making. Tv is a medium that goes into a million households, thats why there are strict controls on showing explicit material. Thats because the audience cannot be controlled, you cannot assume that everyone watching is going to "have the sense" about anything.

this show is not a lecture on life, its just for enjoyment
not making such posts which discourage the makers--they put  a lots of hard work in to the show, if u don't like wots going on then don't watch

My job as the audience is not to encourage the CVs or the maker of the show. I dont need to hold their hand or be extra careful of their feelings, they are professionals putting together a product and I am the consumer, commenting on it when their product stinks. That kind of encouragement is probably being provided by their mothers, wives, family members , friends, etc.who needs to be supportive of them. They are getting paid because I am watching and increasing their viewership. So yeah, if i'm not enjoying myself I get to speak up. And I dont stop watching because they are bugging me, I ask them to stop bugging me.

the CV's can't take responsibility for every good or bad thing happening to viewers
if parents think this drama is not suitible for their children  then they should ban them from watching it

Read my post, please, before assuming I am blaming the CVs for rape and "every good and bad thing" I'm not an idiot, you know. I am asking for responsible plots because this is a family show. Shown during family viewing hour, when parents do sit with their kids. This is the hour when kids and teenagers do watch TV. Also, on IF parents apparently allow 9 year olds online (which is crazy!) so what parents do or dont do doesn't mean the CVs can ignore their own responsibility to their audience by showing sensible TV.

They do need to remember that Khushi and Arnav are not just fictional characters anymore, given their popularity. I am not saying there isnt creative licence, which would be crazy! of course there is-but if Khushi is being shown as a role model (and come on, you know she is!) then the CVs must make her act like one when it comes to something like this.

You and I may not take a serial seriously, but there are thousands of young kids/teenagers who admire these "people"  and can be influenced by them,by what they do or say, because they are, well, young kids/teenagers.

the CV's the the right to explore any topic they like, arnav and kkg can't always be doinng "rabba ve" and the rest of the raizada household playing violins in the background

Yeah, I agree with you that they have the right to explore topics. They dont have the right to act like Khushi got a lobotomy about two months back. The ORIGINAL Khushi reacts to intimidation or to anyone trying to dishonor her by protesting, fighting back. That firebrand would never react to Shyam like this ridiculous damaging stereotype. That is not who the character is. I highly doubt that can be seen as asking the household to stand by with violins while the main leads make out or whatever. Khushi standing up for herself, making it clear that Shyam's harassment is not acceptable, even revealing it to ONE person is all I'm saying she has to do!

It would add drama, it would send a message, people would have to deal with the fallout. It would give the villain something big to deal with, and the hero a chance to be heroic. It would also preserve the integrity of the plot.

sori if this seems like a rant but i'm sick of seeing such depressing topics :-)

Not a problem, we got to have a conversation which is what i wanted. But yeah, I don't see why you should say I should stop watching your show, I',m not asking you to stop reading my post ! :-)

A huge thanks to you, Napstermonster for putting up this most pertinent of posts and for once again flagging up an issue that has been troubling a lot of us in this forum,, that of KKG having to put up with Shyam's behaviour, which is evil and even ASR's aggression in some of the earlier epis, which while not evil, was nevertheless uncomfortable to watch.

But a bigger thanks for your most appropriate response to this post which, I'm afraid, got me so mad that I couldn't trust myself to respond without being extremley rude and impolite. It is only a victim of violence who can know how threatening and terrifying violence or even the threat of violence can be.

And worse the accusation that is used to justify the violence -  the victim has brought it upon herself. I have been there, and I know what that is. Despite being a very highly educated woman ( I have a Ph.D!) coming from a very liberal and loving background,  it took me a very long time to realise that I was not the cause of the violence.
It fills me with horror even to this day (and will probably do so for the rest of my life), even a safe 17 years since that dark period of my life  that I was the one who allowed it happen having somehow allowed myself to believe that I deserved it. And I am proud of myself for having walked out of it, though the shame of it will never leave me.

So, Ms rani-lucki, it IS the responsibility of any media not to reinforce anything that gives credence and value to violence of any kind as the things they depict DO inform attitudes, prejudices and in turn behaviour in real life. So it is not just important, but ESSENTIAL that the women in the show are shown to be strong enough to not to put up with abuse of any kind.

Edited by Japonica - 10 April 2012 at 6:41am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

napstermonsterHeadOverHeels-Aarya-MentalExotica

Go to top