Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

India-Forums

Plagiarism: Is there a solution? (Page 3)

madmaxine IF-Rockerz
madmaxine
madmaxine

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 9:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by wesha

Vidhya, I read the solutions before me. All of them are possible. But I feel all of them are penalizing the writers more than the people who are resorting to the crimes actually. The writers have to spend more time and energy trying to figure ways to protect their work than sit back, relax and let their creative juices flow. So, two suggestions from my side.

1. Whenever some work of art is being posted, there should be a mechanism in place to check it against at least 2 weeks worth of old posts and then post it. Like the plagiarism capture soft-wares that we have in academia. 

2. The above obviously requires very high technology and a large scale. So, the only other alternative is tough, very very tough enforcement. We publicize the rules very well first. make it a sticky on the Page 1 and so on. But then if anybody is caught doing that, there can be no second chances. this can only be avoided if people have granted their permission via PMs or emails to use their stuff.

There can be place for subjective judgement in some cases, but then for that there has to be a collection of people who can be on a rotational position to have an explanation session held for the person who has allegedly plagiarised stuff, knowingly or unknowingly.

The first option is workable, but, as you said, expensive. the second is incredibly hard. It means you have to keep a keen eye out for people copying stuff. And they post it on other platforms too..that makes it almost impossible to keep track, unless you have someone dedicated to the task. But no harm in publicizing the rules etc. Only thing is..there is no 'real' punishment on an online forum such as this. Create a new ID and you are good to go. Unless they pretty much block that IP address...and even that can be worked around. Sigh. 

I agree that the solutions penalize the writers more. Kya karein? Kalyug hai. It's pretty much dog-eat-dog out there. 

But thanks for the input. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

wesha

Sultan_Of_Swing IF-Sizzlerz
Sultan_Of_Swing
Sultan_Of_Swing

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 9:42am | IP Logged
as some of the other members have already mentioned, Using watermarks is the best solution within the confines of this forum. Write up your FF, go to photoshop or any other painting software, add a watermark, save the whole thing as an image, upload to a website and then put the link with a no copy, members only forum code. Thats the best that can be done as of now.

The mods should give a warning on first instance of plagiarism and then ban the member for any repeated offence. Im disappointed that the mods have let some of the repeated offenders get away with whatever they have been doing.

madmaxine

madmaxine IF-Rockerz
madmaxine
madmaxine

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 9:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by universe_naf

Guys I think I hv a feasible solution. Publicly shaming them! By these methods below,
1. Everyone replying to the post "this is not your work/ shame on you for copying"
2. Asking mods to edit the copy-ers posts letting people know tt so and so plagiarized so and so's work? (not sure if this is possible)
3. Spreading the shame across all sites so these people cannot escape.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I don't think publicly shaming them is going to hurt when they're hiding behind an ID that's not even their real name and no one knows who they are. But yes, spreading the word is helpful, in the sense it at least makes people aware. 
.Euphoria. IF-Rockerz
.Euphoria.
.Euphoria.

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 9:45am | IP Logged
I'm not too sure how much help I can offer here, but I do know in my University we use special softwares to upload any work which calculates how much has been plagarized from the web. I think this will be too far-fetched and a bit of a hassle for IF to be honest which is really a shame as it almost is foolproof.

Apart from that, I guess converting files into PDF format as someone else suggested could be useful.

Great post. It's nice to see people constructively working together to solve this ongoing problem. Thumbs Up

madmaxine

madmaxine IF-Rockerz
madmaxine
madmaxine

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 9:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Naach_Basanti

as some of the other members have already mentioned, Using watermarks is the best solution within the confines of this forum. Write up your FF, go to photoshop or any other painting software, add a watermark, save the whole thing as an image, upload to a website and then put the link with a no copy, members only forum code. Thats the best that can be done as of now.

The mods should give a warning on first instance of plagiarism and then ban the member for any repeated offence. Im disappointed that the mods have let some of the repeated offenders get away with whatever they have been doing.

I think you've summed it up pretty well. I will try to implement this the next time around. 
AngelTeen IF-Sizzlerz
AngelTeen
AngelTeen

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged
True. IF needs to come up with something if they wish to maintain the creativity here. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

debby_11madmaxine

debby_11 IF-Rockerz
debby_11
debby_11

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 9:56am | IP Logged
i feel very bad that i didnt understand that the work is plagiarized... i commented on their ff..f&&k..i feel ver bad...shit man...seriously hurt yaar...hopefully there is no one else doing like this...seriously it was very disappointing...praised their works thinking its their work...i m really very hurt...

madmaxine

CravingKhana IF-Sizzlerz
CravingKhana
CravingKhana

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 9:57am | IP Logged
Just a quick question...fair enough we are throwing out ideas and brain storming , but would this not be a more legible discussion if the powers that be of IF were to participate as well, we will know where they stand , they will know our greivance, they get to view out ideas, we have sattisfaction that atleast it is going noticed, they let ud know what i feasible and what is not...

otherwise it just feels like we are shooting empty shells in the dark...

Edited by tangam - 05 April 2012 at 9:58am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

weshamadmaxine

Go to top