Kandy Floss

Protest against K-Serials

Ambrosia thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 17 years ago
Protest against K-Serials
Thursday - May 25, 2006
Televisionpoint.com Correspondent
Blame it on Ekta Kapoor, the trend setter of saas bahu sagas has become a villain for residents of several colonies. A women protest group led by Mumbai-based Jain outfit Vriti Vrund and some other social organisations marched to the Balaji Telefilms office on Thursday afternoon to protest against extra-marital relationships and marital rape being increasingly depicted in the K-Serials produced by Balaji for television.

Mercy killings and foetus-sex determination tests being shown in Ekta Kapor's serials also came in for attack. The 100-strong crowd of women, who seem to be regular watchers of the K Serials, shouted slogans complaining about the 'anti-cultural' and 'anti-Indian' tone of the K Serials. alaji Telefilms and Ekta Kapoor is not new to such protests but of late the K serials had been moving away from controversies. One media wag felt this could be just one way to jack up TRPs.

In fact, as many as 25 mahila mandalis from eight colonies have written angry letters to their local cable operators demanding the blockage of certain channels which depict such mindless programmes.

One protestor said "Initially when these serials went on air, they showed positive aspects which are inherent in the Indian family and hence all the family members used to watch the serials together. But, now the TV serials are churning out divorces by the dozen, remarriages at the drop of a hat and needless rape scenes. We receive frantic calls from disturbed parents who say their children are getting influenced by such serials."

Consultant psychologist points out that negative aspects "seep-in" faster than positive aspects when seen on the small screen.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

EkDesi thumbnail
yeah. Thanks for sharing. I too get irritated with this re-marriages & total lack of moral values in the serials. What the hack is wrong with those people making serials !!
I am planning to move to india in a few months & right now in USA my kids are not allowed to watch any adult TV which includes any indian/american tv serials, movies, etc. So my 4 & 5 yr daughters don't know who is Shahrukh Khan or Aishwarya Rai. I don't know how long I will I will be able to keep them away from those things once they notice that all other kids around them watch Hindi movies, serials, etc crap so openly. Many indian parents I know here have the same policy as me. It teaches the kids that marriage is not that important commitment.
ishan2003 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
thanks...why dont u let children watch tv? im sorry but the more you keep them away from something the more curious they get and theyll want to do it.
EkDesi thumbnail
Oh ! they do watch tv but only kids shows that are appropriate for their age like barney, sesame street, dora, leap frog,etc. also videos like Hanumaan, tenali ram, etc. They have a huge selections of parent approved tv shows & videos that they watch.

Just no movies that are meant for adult audiance or tv shows like 70' shows etc.
EkDesi thumbnail
Oh ! they do watch tv but only kids shows that are appropriate for their age like barney, sesame street, dora, leap frog,etc. also videos like Hanumaan, tenali ram, etc. They have a huge selections of parent approved tv shows & videos that they watch.

Just no movies that are meant for adult audiance or tv shows like 70' shows etc. shows like Kandy Floss or HKKC is not something I want them to see yet.
EkDesi thumbnail

Just no movies that are meant for adult audiance or tv shows like 70' shows etc. shows like Kandy Floss or HKKC is not something I want them to see yet.
kaneez101 thumbnail
oh wow i think thats kinda inappropriate too and its really influencing kids by thes stupid scenes that they have.
Fashion_2005 thumbnail
i disagree. every person have their own point of view. For kids, i can say they should be more into cartoons or the programme which are ofr children. If a child is going to school then he/she should concentrate on studies and there are tons of thing rather than watching tv.
desi_baby07 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
thanx for sharing!
poor ekta 😭
ThE_kHan07 thumbnail
Originally posted by: EkDesi

I COMPLETLEY AGREE WITH U!!

Even though I am a 15 yrs  old guy....I agree wid wat ur doing with the kids!!

I just dont understand why other ppl in India can't do the same!!  India has Cartoon Network as well. But can the kids watch the cartoons?? NO!! WHY?? Because their moms, aunts, nani, dadi are all busy doing wat?? OFCOURSE WATCHING EKTA KAPOOR SOAPS AND OTHER SOAPS!!  So their kids are forced to watch these stuff......and then these women go protesting againts Balaji for showing such stuff which are bad for kids!!

HELLO....DONT THEY HAVE ENOUGH BRAINS TO UNDERSTAND THESE ARENT GOOD FOR KIDS??  ARE DESI VIEWRS SO BRAINLESS THAT NOW MAYBE EVEN TELEVISION NEEDS "U" and "A" ratings just like films??

and wats the point of protesting for mercy death now?? why didnt they protest 3 months earlier when the death took place??  Were they all sleeping for 3 months and then watched the mercy killing last week??😕

our desi ppl r seriously too much at times!!