Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 6:17am | IP Logged

Yesterday night, I was watching part one of the Grand Finale of American Idol.

Both Taylor Hicks and Katharine McPhee performed a single (an unknown song which would be released into the market as their first release)

IMO, both songs were really mediocre (if this is how AI launches their winners these days, they are in big trouble). However, while Katharine's performance of "My Destiny" was insipid at best, Taylor's performance of "Do I make you proud" had me tapping my feet. Even though the melody and lyrics were cheesy, he infused his own personality into the song and rocked it out!

In this case, the singer (Taylor) really made the song work. Even though Katharine has a bigger range, she can't really make the song her own.

But, there are examples where the song was really good with an ordinary singer at the helm. E.g. Alisha Chinai's "Made in India".

What in your opinion makes a song work? Is it the singer or the song itself? Any specific examples? 

Edited by T. - 24 May 2006 at 9:53am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Does the singer make a song work?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Dazlingflower

Dazlingflower

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 8:59am | IP Logged
I agree with abhijit. S. Some singers have ability to put life in to the song. Like song from HERO...lambi judai by Reshma ji. I can't imagine that song in any other singer's voice.

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 9:02am | IP Logged
T. i missed the finale yesterday. But i am routing for my fav Taylor!! He is far better that Katherine.( like Bo Bice was better than that blond) Will write more once i watch the recording of AI.

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged
Great songs require the BEST combination of talent at the right time,right place, right attitude of singing,...almost everything perfect!!!!!!!!!

Can u people imagine the song "My heart goes on" by Celine dion in Titanic sung by any other person??... or its lyrics by someone else.. or the music score by anyone else... simply i can't do that... This song is one of the perfects!!!!!!!!!! Clap

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 11:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by T.

What in your opinion makes a song work? Is it the singer or the song itself? Any specific examples?

I think it's all together. Lyrics, composition, tunes, singer everything together makes a song work. And yes, singer does matter too. Like some ghazals from jagjeet or gulam ali. Their voice has this pain and "dard" to make it work. Lataji's voice is just mesmerizing...if you hear her song in her late teen years fresh lata, her voice is just amazing. If you hear this song "jadoo hain nasha hain" by Shreya Ghoshal, I don't think anyone would 've made it this sensational. So I agree singer does matter to make a song work. I think it's more like a team work with everything together.

X-rebel

IF-Dazzler

X-rebel

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 11:58am | IP Logged
I feel that both are important as they are inerdependent. But on giving a thought more to it, i have come to the conclusion that singer is more important. A singer can make a bad song appear good, but a bad singer can never dp justice to a good song. A few days ago Paresh posted a link to a Nihira Joshi song 'Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam' which was far better than the original one.

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 1:09am | IP Logged
Lyrics + Singer + Composition gives beauty to a song!!

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 28 February 2007 at 10:05am

swordfishh

IF-Dazzler

swordfishh

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 1:40pm | IP Logged
I think its the publicity and the picturisation tht makes a song work... And invariably.... A famous singer would mean good publicity and good locations for a nice video to be shot.... And not to forget... Good looking models... LOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top