||CSAM Article Archives||No Comments - Page 4

Posted: 11 years ago

Producer's role is definitely tough: Bhairavi

Akash Wadhwa, TNN | Jul 5, 2012, 05.26PM IST

Read more:Chaal Sheh Aur Maat|Bhairavi Raichura

Producer's role is definitely tough: Bhairavi
Bhairavi Raichura
Actor Bhairavi Raichura who is recognized as an actress because of her TV soaps became producer with her maiden show Chhal Sheh Aur Maat feels producing a show is definitely a tough multi tasking job.

"As an actor you finish your daily acting and go to home but as a producer of your show you don't sleep, you are always working - round the clock. There is always a last minute job which you need to take care of. I am thankful to Nandita Mehra (co-owner of 24 Frames Media) who is very efficient and always managing crises!"

Bhairavi was completely in awe of their show when the first episode came on air. She adds, "Nowadays the competition is tough. There are few channels and many producers. Plus there is the concept of TRP. We need to really work hard to match all of the expectations!" Well Bhairavi where there is a will there is a way and you surely are doing your best for Chaal Sheh Aur Maat!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Producers-role-is-definitely-tough-Bhairavi/articleshow/14690180.cms

Edited by swethasyam08 - 11 years ago
Soaps on an exotic trail

Shruti Jambhekar, TNN | Jul 7, 2012, 12.00AM IST
Read More:Rab Se Sona Ishq|HUNAR HALI|Chhal ' Sheh Aur Maat|Avinesh Rekhi|Ashish Sharma|Anas Rashid
Soaps on an exotic trail
Hunar Hali and Avinesh Rekhi in Auli shoot of Chhal ' Sheh Aur Maat
Small screen has not limited its cuts to only the kitchen. Moving from the drawing th action plan in the drawing rooms, are Tellyland's thinktank which is taking its crew to capture some fab glimpse of exotic locales.

With shooting at 'actual' outdoor locations is catching up big time in Tellywood, the story is just getting interesting. Bade Achche Lagte Hainhad a Australia shoot in November, and seven months down the line as the show takes a leap, the location shifts to Dubai! The soon-to-air soap Rab Se Sona Ishq just wrapped a 90 day shoot schedule in London; popular soap Diya Aur Baati Hum recently completed a shooting schedule in Singapore, Hitler Didi had spiked up the show with Macau as a shooting locale three months back, Chhal - Sheh Aur Maat has shot a major chunk shot in Auli and Mussorie. Also, soaps like Ek Doosre Se Karte Hain Pyaar Hum has a lot of outdoor shooting in Ahmedabad,Hitler Didi too has sequences shot in Old Delhi, Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai in Rishikesh etc.

So, what makes outdoor shoots, the in thing? Actor-producer JD Majethia shares, "Authenticity is what audiences are looking at these days. The shooting done at actual locations has a visual interest for them and makes them loyal to it. It helps us getting their confidence and they can relate with it." He adds, "Our budgets overshoot when we do outdoor shoots but it's the fun."
Sukesh Motwani, fiction head of a GEC shares, "It is important days to hold the audiences' interest. In certain soaps, we do add a foreign exotic location to add glam up the show, but in some locations are an integral part of story telling. And as they say 'seeing is believing' so, we don't mind spending an extra bit on it. Audiences' spectrum has widened and we don't want to lose out on their interests."

Actors seem to love the idea of locale hopping. HUNAR HALI says, "It gets a little monotonous working indoors. An exotic gives you greater excitement to shoot." Even Anas Rashid echoes same feeling. He says, "Locations add a lot to the soap. In Singapore, we almost felt as if we were shooting for a film. It was a good bonding time for the entire cast and crew."

A visual treat always helps fetch more eyeballs. And why not think outdoor when it only helps a show rake in more TRPs?

Prime Time's Travel Diary

Bade Achche Laggte Hain Australia, Dubai
Rab Se Sona Ishq London
Diya Aur Baati Hum Singapore
Chhal - Sheh Aur Maat Mussorie, Auli
Hitler Didi Macau
Saath Nibhana Saathiya Switzerland
Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai Hrishikesh
Balika Vadhu - Jaisalmer
Kachchi Umar Ke Pakke Rishte
Check out TV Star Homepages

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Soaps-on-an-exotic-trail/articleshow/14717181.cms
Chhal Sheh Aur Maat Between Ijaa and Aditi

Purva Desai, TNN | Jul 10, 2012, 12.01PM IST

Read more:HUNAR HALI|Chhal Sheh Aur Maat|avinesh rekhi|Aishwarya Narkar
Chhal Sheh Aur Maat between Ijaa and Aditi
Hunar Hali & Aishwarya Narkar In Chall Sheh Aur MaatMore Pics
Tonight on Chhal Sheh Aur Maat on Colors TV, there will be a confrontation between the two main women of the Jaiswal household.

Ijaa (Aishwarya Narkar) is the mastermind who plots against Aditi ( HUNAR HALI). When Aditi consults her mother in-law, the latter is unnerved and challenges Aditi by telling her that her son Kabir ( avinesh rekhi) will only listen to his mother and that Aditi can do as she pleases. Ijaa is convinced that Avinesh will throw Aditi out of the house.

Aishwarya Narkar, who plays ijaa, is confident over her win in Chhal. "What Aditi and I shared earlier was a put on Rishta. The family members are unaware about what's happening between me and Aditi. Chhal Sheh Aur Maat will always go on between the two of us. We both will play our games". Further adding, "Poor Kabir. He will keep getting trapped between his mother and me because he won't be able to believe it that ijaa can be so weird. I'm 200% confident that he will not blame me".

Ijaa's motive is simple. All she wants is the money and she will go to any extent to get it.
But in this whole web of conspiracies, will ijaa ever have a change of heart? "I don't think I will turn positive because even if I do, eventually no one will trust me. But towards the end, my character of ijaa should have the realization that what I'm doing is wrong".

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Chhal-Sheh-Aur-Maat-between-Ijaa-and-Aditi/articleshow/14798574.cms

Old Articles which we missed posting 😳

22nd March
No fame, money in modelling:Abhishek Malik [IANS]

New Delhi, March 22 (IANS) After struggling for fame and money in the modelling world for three years, Delhi boy Abhishek Malik has finally got lucky with a key role in new TV show "Chhal...Sheh Aur Maat".

New Delhi, March 22 (IANS) After struggling for fame and money in the modelling world for three years, Delhi boy Abhishek Malik has finally got lucky with a key role in new TV show "Chhal...Sheh Aur Maat".

"The main reason I have shifted from modelling to TV is because I was looking for fame," Abhishek told IANS in an interview.

He won the Mr. Delhi title in 2009, and went on to walk the ramp for designers like Manish Malhotra and Rohit Bal. But like many models in the Indian fashion industry, he wasn't satisfied.

"In modelling, you don't become as famous, at least that's what I could make out. Also, you hardly get money in modelling. A lot of models work for free and in fact, I have also walked for free during fashion weeks," said the tall and suave 21-year-old.

A Delhi University commerce graduate, Abhishek has now shifted base to Mumbai to shoot for "Chhal...Sheh Aur Maat" - a new thriller that went on air on Colors March 19. He plays Rishi, a newly married man in the show.

"I was a bit inclined towards acting, so after modelling I switched to this line. This was my first audition and I got the role," said Abhishek, who neither has any background or training in acting.

As of now, he is busy concentrating on the show, and adjusting to life in Mumbai.

"I am a bit uncomfortable in Mumbai. I don't like the weather, it's humid. Being a Delhiite, it's difficult to adjust. But the entire shooting is in Mumbai, so I have to stay there," said the actor, who has managed to find accomodation in Lokhandwala.

Usually most single boys struggling for a foothold in showbiz find it hard to find a home on rent, but "in that case I have been lucky", says Abhishek.

But showbiz isn't the best long-term plan, is it?

"I plan to pursue an MBA through correspondence. My mother is a principal and my sister is a doctor, so I am constantly told to prepare a good back-up," he said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

26th march
TOI: Om Puri plays Ashok Kumar kinda sutradhar on

The actor returns to small screen with 'Chal - Shey aur Maat'

Remember how veteran actor Ashok Kumar played a sutradhar on the television show Hum Log with an extended epilogue at the end of each episode. Actor Om Puri will be doing something similar on television with the new show ' Chal - Shey aur Maat'.

Chal - Shey aur Maat is designed as a suspense-thriller show. Director duo Abbas-Mustan known for their expertise in the genre are the creators and presenters of the show. And to take it a step further, the makers have got Om Puri to play a sutradhar. "Om Puri will give a recap of the episode in his inimitable baritone and also add to the element of mystery", says a source associated with the show.

Years ago, Om Puri did a lot of television on Doordarshan and is known for his quality work in shows like Bharat Ek Khoj and Kakkaji Kahin. More recently he lent his voice occasionally to serials like Phulwa and Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo.

27th march
TOI:Today's TV lacks meaningful content-Om Puri

Today's television lacks meaningful content: Om Puri
Om PuriMore Pics

Om Puri returns to the small screen after over a decade as a 'sutradhar' or storyteller for new TV show " Chhal Sheh Aur Maat". But the veteran actor feels today's television is frivolous and lacks meaningful content.

"Television back in the 1980s had meaningful content. Serials like 'Hum Log' and 'Buniyaad' had much to share, but the small screen has now become very frivolous," Om, 61, told IANS in an interview on phone from Mumbai.

"The usual saas-bahu serials are more like people doing ramp walk than acting. The standards have indeed declined over the years. I miss the charm of television in previous years," he said.

His unmatched acting skills have always helped him deliver serious and comic roles alike. He proved his mettle on garnering international acclaim by working in crossover projects. A theatre veteran, Om started his television career with "Mr Yogi", " Kakaji Kaheen" and "Yatra".

He admits there is a need for shows that can create awareness about society.

"Television is a great medium and has wider reach than other means of communication. We need to have shows that create social awareness, which is rarely a case in today's era," he said.

Even comedy shows are not up to the mark, he feels.

"Previously we used to see some very good shows, but now even the standards of comedy have declined drastically. There are such poor standards of humour in comedy zones today," said the 61-year-old.

"Chhal Sheh Aur Maat" that comes on Colors channel is a tale of deception, betrayal and mystery. The show is about Neha, a newlywed whose life changes dramatically while on a honeymoon when a stranger stakes claim to her life as her husband.

For the show, Om dons the garb of a 'sutradhaar'. He will be seen presenting a weekly roundup of the story in an interesting one-hour format of "Kahani Ab Tak".

"The makers of the show approached me to be part of the show as a storyteller. I grabbed the opportunity because I knew this will not harm my big screen career in any way as I have to shoot for it just for four days in a month," he said.

"I agreed to be a part of it because it is not something that promotes superstition or seems frivolous. It is just clean entertainment," he added.

Om was due to do a rural-based show being created by the rural development ministry. The actor however reveals it is yet to go on the floors.

"Work on the show is still on. Everybody knows how the government departments work; I am waiting to hear from them soon," he said.

Last seen in "Chaar Din Ki Chandni", Om is busy shooting for " Malamaal Weekly 2" and is looking forward to working with Prakash Jha in " Chakravyuh".

28th March
TOI: I wanted to get into production: Bhairavi

I wanted to get into production: Bhairavi

I wanted to get into production: Bhairavi
Bhairavi Raichura

Even though actress Bhairavi Raichura, fondly remembered as Kajal Bhai from "Hum Paanch", has turned producer with the new show " Chhal Sheh Aur Maat" on Colors, she says that she has no plans to quit acting.

"I wanted to get into production for some time, and then what next after acting? Production is a completely different experience. When you're just acting, you go on the sets, do your makeup, read the script, do the scene, go home and you're done. Production, it never ends. There are 50,000 things to do. You're handling so many people. I handle the production side, and the creative side is handled by my partner. I am enjoying it," she tells us.

But doesn't being a producer take away from her acting time? "I don't shoot much. I shoot 7-8 days in a month. I haven't given " Sasural Genda Phool" many dates. I'm not taking up anything new at the moment. "Balika Vadhu" is not really there, I hardly do it. I tell them, try avoiding me, but if required, I will come back to that show," she says.

Her new show is a thriller, which she compares to an Abbas-Mustan film. But it's not a film that'll end in 3 hours, and she knows what it takes to sustain the audience's interest in a show. "A daily soap takes a lot of commitment for all the departments. Thinking 22 episodes in a month is not easy. I really salute all daily soap makers. But I'm sure audiences are enjoying our show. It's something new for them, because after "Kahin Kisi Roz", there hasn't been a thriller on television," she signs off.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/I-wanted-to-get-into-production-Bhairavi/articleshow/12427207.cms

Rangmunch -Recommends

TB: Sooraj thapar in Chal

After a hit portrayal of Dhananand, the actor will be seen as a top cop...

Bhairavi Raichura and Nandita Puri's newly launched Chhal-Sheh Aur Maat has opened up with good ratings and the creative team is leaving no stone unturned to continue the growth.

The latest we hear is that Sooraj Thapar, currently seen in Imagine TV's Chandragupta Maurya as Dhananand, would soon join the cast of Chhal-Sheh Aur Maat.

A source informs, "In today's episode, Sooraj Thapar would enter the show as a flamboyant CID inspector to investigate the whole case. He would essay Inspector Dushyant Singh, who is entirely different than all the other inspectors, which the audience has seen till date. He is obsessed with justice. But that word will bring an image of a serious workaholic cop. Dushyant is the exact opposite of that as said. He is chilled out, a bit crazy, has various cods, likes to have fun, doenst look like there is a single serious bone in his body. But dont let his idiosyncracies fool u as he has a high conviction rate. And once he gets it into his head that he will solve a crime he will not let anything get in his way.Thats how he is the biggest threat to kabir in dhaulganj where he suspects kabir,he knows there is something fishy in  kabir's story about the return of his wife Aditi and he will get to the bottom of it. Whereas neha is really hoping dusyant will get her out of this hellish situation.."

"Sooraj Thapar has already started shooting for the show and will be seen in today's episode.

When contacted, Sooraj Thapar confirmed the buzz, "Yes, I am doing Chhal and it's been a great opportunity for me to work with Nandita and Bhairavi Raichura on their first project."

So along with Dhananand get ready to witness Sooraj Thapar in a new avatar!

29th March
TOI: Suraj Thapar enters as CID officer

Sooraj Thapar to enter 'Chhal' as CID officer
Sooraj Thapar with Supriya Pilgaonkar

Actor Sooraj Thapar, currently seen in the daily soap "Sasuraal Genda Phool", will feature as a CID officer in new social thriller " Chhal - Sheh Aur Maat".

His character is named Dushyant.

Dushyant, a chilled out and fun loving person, is shown to be obsessed with justice.

The show, aired on Colors, is about Neha, a newlywed whose life changes dramatically while on a honeymoon when a stranger stakes claim to her life as her husband.

Dushyant comes into the scene to solve the mystery.

The show is produced by Bhairavi Raichura and Nandita Mehra's company 24 Frames.

4th April
TOI: Hunar Hali admires Kajol's versatility

Like most TV actors, Hunar Hali too wants to do different kinds of roles and considers Kajolthe best example of versatility. 

"As an actress, I always want to be versatile. I don't want to be stereotyped where people say that she can only fit into a certain role. That's the reason I like Kajol because she is a person who is truly versatile," Hunar told IANS. 

The 22-year-old, who bagged her first lead role with Colors' " Chhal - Sheh Aur Maat", says the thriller genre was interesting for her to take up. 

"I should always do something new and different, and that's a challenge for me. This show was challenging, that's why I took it up," she said. 

Hunar has earlier been seen in supporting roles in shows like "Grahasti", "12/24 Karol Bagh" and "Sasuraal Genda Phool". 

She says it's easy to get stereotyped on the small screen. 

"When you play a bhabhi or a mother, that's when you are typecast. Once a mother always a mother. I am a young girl, and I have so far played roles of young girls only...so I don't fear being typecast as of now," she said.

TB:Hunar Ali likes to play different roles

Hunar Hali admires Kajol's versatility...

Like most TV actors, Hunar Hali too wants to do different kinds of roles and considers Kajol the best example of versatility.

"As an actress, I always want to be versatile. I don't want to be stereotyped where people say that she can only fit into a certain role. That's the reason I like Kajol because she is a person who is truly versatile," Hunar told IANS.

The 22-year-old, who bagged her first lead role with Colors' "Chhal-Sheh Aur Maat", says the thriller genre was interesting for her to take up. I should always do something new and different, and that's a challenge for me. This show was challenging, that's why I took it up," she said. Hunar has earlier been seen in supporting roles in shows like "Grahasti", "12/24 Karol Bagh" and "Sasural Genda Phool". She says it's easy to get stereotyped on the small screen.

"When you play a bhabhi or a mother, that's when you are typecast. Once a mother always a mother. I am a young girl, and I have so far played roles of young girls only...so I don't fear being typecast as of now," she said.

TB: Chhal-Sheh Aur Maat under scanner...
Thursday, July 12, 2012 | 4:54:42 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)   

Colors show Chhal-Sheh Aur Maat has failed the impress the audience with its thriller story line and is expected to go off air next month..

Colors Channel launched its thriller show Chhal-Sheh Aur Maat with fanfare but it has failed to impress the audience. As a result the channel has placed the show under the scanner.

The show has tried its best to incorporate various twists and turns in the show to keep their audience glued to their seats, but they seemed to have failed in the task.The show has seen a downward slide in the TRPs which has been a cause of constant worry for the production house.

We tried contacting Hunar Hali but she remained unavailable for comment.The show is expected to go off air next month.

https://www.india-forums.com/tellybuzz/buzzin-hot/12237-chhal-sheh-aur-maat-under-scanner.htm#3705112

TOI: My rejections are my inspiration: Avinesh Rekhi
Vijaya Tiwari, TNN | Jul 12, 2012, 04.04PM IST

colors tv|Chhal Sheh Aur Maat|avinesh rekhi|24 Frames'
My rejections are my inspiration: Avinesh Rekhi
Avinesh Rekhi
24 Frames' show 'Chhal Sheh Aur Maat' on Colors' TV has given a new actor to the television industry. avinesh rekhi, who plays the intense Kabir Jaiswal on the show, has become the new blue eyed boy of the small screen.
But after playing such an intense character on screen, Avinesh's fan's want to know who the real life Rekhi is, to which the actor says, "Seven years back when I came to Mumbai with few dreams in my eyes, I was a very chilled out person. I used to never take things that seriously in life. But when I started giving auditions and faced rejections, I gradually became more mature. I started realizing the hard facts of life, especially that of surviving in Mumbai."
The young lad says that it was his rejections that made him learn a lot and which also became his inspiration.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/My-rejections-are-my-inspiration-Avinesh-Rekhi/articleshow/14847416.cms

TOI: A New time slot for Chhal?
Neha Maheshwri, TNN | Jul 15, 2012, 12.00AM IST

Read more:TV show|Chhal — Sheh Aur Maat
A new time slot?
A still from Chhal — Sheh Aur Maat
Speculations are rife about the fate of the thriller show Chhal — Sheh Aur Maat, which was launched amid huge fanfare.

The show that airs at a prime time slot, however has failed to generate sustainable TRPs with the latest being 1.7.

And while there was buzz that the show will get axed by next month, our source associated with it says that Chhal might get shifted to a late night or an afternoon slot whichever is available in the wake of new shows lined up.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/A-new-time-slot/articleshow/14898286.cms

TOI: The new Showstealers
Ano Patel, TNN | Jul 15, 2012, 12.00AM IST

Read more:Madhubala|Avatar
The new showstealers
Samir Kochhar
Dramatic twists, heaps of tearjerking melodrama and lots of misunderstandings — 18 new entries in daily soaps are responsible for all that and more!

Storylines on the small screen have their share of twists and turns, but what really keeps the audience hooked to a show is the entry of a new character, which takes the show to a different level altogether. That probably explains why, have been as many as 18 'new' entries in daily soaps in recent times! Dil Se Di Dua...Saubhagyavati Bhav? catapulted to new highs (read better TRPs)

after the entry of hottie Harshad Chopra; Siddharth Shukla's entry in Balika Vadhu followed by a new love track helped the show reach the No. 2 slot (June 20 - July 3) on the TRP charts. Some recent new entries include Harshad Chopra and Neha Mehta in Dil Se Di Dua... Saubhagyavati Bhav?, Neha Sargam in Punar Vivaah — Zindagi Milegi Dobara, Samir Kochhar and Deepti Shrikant in Bade Achhe Laggte Hain, Neha Jhulka and Rubina Dilaik in Saas Bina Sasural, Seema Deshmukh in Saath Nibahana Saathiya, Aamir Dalvi in Chhal — Sheh Aur Maat, Vrinda Dawda in Dil Dosti Dance, Mayank Gandhi in Ek Doosre Se Karte Hain Pyaar Hum, Khalid Siddiqui and Prinal Oberoi in Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha, Manish Naggdev in Madhubala — Ek Ishq Ek Junoon, Mohan Kapur in Amrit Manthan, Varun Kapoor in Humse Hai Life and Hiten Tejwani in Kya Huaa Tera Vaada.
While there is an intrigue factor with their emphatic entry sequences in the show, which gets it due dose of dramatic twists, actors seem to be finding the role play exciting. Actor Neha Sargam says, "I'm glad that I'm doing a role that is a departure from what I've essayed so far. She has a mind of her own and will fight for what she believes in. That's what attracted me to the role."

Actor Khalid Siddiqui says, "Na Bole Tum... is a popular show with a nice concept that's treated differently. The current track is interesting and I'm cutting in and making things more interesting."

So what do regular actors feel about the entry of another actor and stealing a little time of their show(s)? Actor Aishwarya Sakhuja says, "Divya's (Neha Jhulka) entry has brought about an interesting track. A story always has its ups and downs and Toasty has always lived with challenges." New entrants also help reduce the burden of lead actors at times. Actor Mouli Ganguly seconds the thought, " I'm very happy with Hiten's entry in the show. A new character can certainly help to hype things. But after that, it is always the story and whether people are happy with the track or not."
With new actors entering daily soaps and bringing new twists the audience is all set to witness interesting drama sequences on the tube.

Neha Sargam Demure Neha Sargam is the runaway bride in Punar Vivaah, a character meant to act as a catalyst to start off the romance between the lead couple!

Samir Kochhar Samir Kochhar makes his fiction debut on TV with Bade Achhe... as a savvy biz tycoon who is Sakshi's new love interest.

Harshad Chopra Harshad Chopra is Raghav, the docile Sia/Jhanvi's saviour and possible love interest in Dil Se Dua... Saubhagyavati Bhav?. That he might eventually end up as the main male lead is being popularly believed of late!

Rubina Dilaik Rubina Dilaik in a new, revamped Avatar with curly locks and a warm smile is Smiley, touted to be an important character in Saas Bina Sasural.

Siddharth Shukla Siddharth Shukla as the new man in the female protagonist Anandi's (in Balika Vadhu) life. His entry has upped the popularity quotient of the show. The zillion buck question: will he be the new male lead?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/The-new-showstealers/articleshow/14902913.cms

TOI:Ija's not a vamp & that's what I like: Aishwarya Narkar
Purva Desai, TNN | Jul 26, 2012, 05.11PM IST

Chhal Sheh Aur Maat|Aishwarya Narkar

Ija's not a vamp & that's what I like: Aishwarya Narkar

She's evil and absolutely loving it! As ija on Colors TV's Chhal Sheh Aur Maat, she's the real culprit in the Jaiswal household.

And the lady of the house wants full control of Aditi's money and ensures she gets her way. So far, she's been successful. And Aishwarya Narkar aka ija enjoys playing the negative role on the show. "It's fun playing ija because it is the first time that I'm playing a negative character. I'm so used to playing positive roles or then rona dhona characters, that for a change I'm playing something different".

Further adding, "Even though ija is the main culprit on the show, her character is sober and nice. She's not vampish and that's what I like".

Convincingly played Aishwarya!

TOI: Handsome daily soap actors help garner TRPs
Shoma Shukla, TNN | Aug 4, 2012, 12.38PM IST
(Avinesh mentioned as Abhishek Rekhi )

In the Teflon coated surreal and over dramatic world of daily soaps, the male heartthrob's good looks become an extremely handy means to wow the audience. Actually that's a given, since a sizeable chunk of the telly viewing audience, comprise the fairer sex. While the female protagonist in a prime time soap thrives on her girl next door coy looks, the hero has to be poster-perfect, handsome, tall and totally droolworthy. Good looks usually garners the TRPs with remarkable ease.

Sample this: the TRP-trippers in the soapy world - Star Plus' Diya Aur Baati Hum (Anas Rashid as Suraj Rathi), Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? (Barun Sobti as Arnav Siingh Raizada), Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai (Karan Tacker as Viren Vadhera and Kushal Tandon as Virat Vadhera), Mann Ke Awaz Pratigya (Arhaan Behl as Krishna), Colors' Balika Vadhu (Siddharth Shukla as Shiv), Uttaran (Gaurav Bajaj as Aman), Kairi -Rishta Khatta Meetha (Jay Bhanushali as Anuj), Madhubala - Ek Ishq Ek Junoon (Vivian d'sena as RK), Chhal - Sheh Aur Maat (Abhishek Rekhi as Kabir), Zee TV's Punar Vivah (Gurmeet Chaudhary as Yash Scindia), Afsar Bitiya (Kinshuk Mahajan as Pintoo Singh), Pavitra Rishta (Rithvik Dhanjani as Arjun), Sony's Kuch Toh Log Kahenge (Sharad Kelkar as Ashutosh), Byaah Hamari Bahu Ka (Gaurav Khanna as Krish), the soon-to-air Love Ya Arranged Marriage (Ashish Kapoor) Life Ok's Dil Se Dua...Saubhagyavati Bhava? (Harshad Chopra as Raghav and Karan Vir Vohra as Viraj Chaudhary), Devon Ke Dev Mahadev(Mohit Raina as Mahadev) - boast of male leads who are scene stealers in every way.

In the women-dominated daily soaps, while the leading ladies garner max eyeballs by their tear jerking acts and the men have precious little to do but to provide the support act and of course look 'pretty'. As Rajan Shahi once put it, "the leading lady of a daily show needs to be a girl next door, so she doesn't have to be strikingly pretty", but since the hero is the dream man, "he needs to be handsome." Also, for the significant percentage of the viewer, the goodlooking hero is often reason enough to come back for more. A dashing hero has his uses - he can take a shower, strut around in a towel, go shirtless (when the TRPs are desperately needed), beat up the baddies, have an intense eyelock with the heroine and catch her when she's falling. He makes the fairytale complete. And in turn ensures a devoted and dedicated fanbase for himself, and more viewership for the show.