Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

X-rebel thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Originally posted by: soulsoup

Who will implement that Amogh? Same politician, same bureaucracy, same red tape. Nothing will happen there too – only some officials will get an extra chance to grab some more avenues of bribe!

Thats the tragedy here. But atleast we can stop them from further dividing the country by opposing them.

The reservations on economic basis shud be implemented at grassroot level. And its we and the media who should be alert that they are being implemented correctly.
X-rebel thumbnail
Its conformed that a student named Subhas of AIIMS had died in the hunger strike.

The media is not covering the event. 😑 😑
insouciance thumbnail
               The truth is, the government is not doing the backward classes and tribes a favour by reserving seats for them......The government has increased the reservations in the IIT's to a whopping 49%..now passing the JEE exam is a helluva task...

Students start preparing from the 8th grade, work day in and day out for like 15-16 hours everyday, shun all sorts of entertainment like music, television movies etc and work work work work work to get a rank...in short, they dont have a life and love not to have one 🀒 ..and such students(albeit not super genius yet too hard working...most of the IIT-ans are all spoon fed at the coaching institutions at kota, hyderabad, delhi etc and the JEE exam becomes a cliche for them...not all are the creme of the students....its all hard work....seen my brother do that 🀒 🀒 ) can cope up with the pressures inside the IIT's....

My brother is an IIT allumni and he has told me stories about people dropping out of IIT as they cannot cope up.......most of these drop outs being SC/ST's....they are delivered everything on a platter....all that the SC/ST's need to do is sit through 6 hours of torture called the JEE exam, just attempt the paper and guess answers, bingo πŸ˜› , they are selected πŸ˜› .....

They are not competent enough,thus they cannot cope up, get traumatized inside the IIt's as there's no quota system or grace marks once you enter IIT, they dont understand a thing, and dont survive long...and those who come out act as though they are electrocuted or they have endured 4 years of excruciating suffering and turn out to bee zoombies😭 ......again, i'm not saying that ALl SC/ST's are drop outs but the majority of the drop outs are those who enter by fluke/quota system........

If the government REALLY wants to help the backward classes, they have to start work in the grassroot levels.....first comes primary education...hell, see to it that every SC/ST goes to a goodgood primary school..then comes secondary education...first see to it that these SC/St's complete the schooling and pass out with flying colours(or at least pass the CBCE board exam with 50+ marks)...then make them competent enough to take exams such as the AIMS, IIT-JEE etc...that would help them in the longer run πŸ˜ƒ

just my views 😳
sowmyaa thumbnail
Originally posted by: soulsoup

<p>Again – aren't your words are
flavored with urban snobbishness? Why only at elementary level?
That's the basic – I agree, without providing the basics working on
only at top of the pyramid of life is dangerous -I know that too! But
trust me you need push from every level. Why? Let me ask you – how
many son/daughter of a street vendor you've seen doing great in their
life? This change requires decades and generation. But without proper
execution and most importantly the intension – NOTHING going to
work -that's for sure.
<p>

urban snobishness! then what would you call what abhijeet shukla wrote on page 4 of this thread. middle class students from low economic background suffer? don't "they" need "any" kind of push? if you work on your basic pillar of education and give them education in elementry level they can "prove" their intellectual. they can themselve apply to thse instituation if they are capable enough!! that's why i insisted on basic level. Talking about son/daugher of street vendor doing good question. so if you think that this system is working you please tell me why are they still not making great? and you think that not allowing them to be in IIM is the "only" reason they are not doing great? I don't agree here. I as average student cannot go in higher institutes 'coz I am not competent enough, but certain class can go 'coz they are from diff. class? this is partiality. and someone who is bright and intellegent from middle class have to go to ordinary college 'coz they are form middle class but these other class student gets to this college NOT because they are bright, NOT becuase they passed the test, NOT because they are intellgetn enough just 'coz they are from some other class. if they can reach till this level they should be treated on basis of intellectual level. Just imagine all the engineer, docs, that come our of college and do you imagine if they don't know their field or subject how good they will treat us??
X-rebel thumbnail
Arent there poor students among the upper classes. Do all the rich belong to the upper classes? Instead of reserving seats for the OBCs.

I am im touch with the Youth For Equality and willl post the latest updated here.
soulsoup thumbnail
Originally posted by: sowmyaa

urban snobishness! then what would you call what abhijeet shukla wrote on page 4 of this thread. middle class students from low economic background suffer? don't "they" need "any" kind of push? if you work on your basic pillar of education and give them education in elementry level they can "prove" their intellectual. they can themselve apply to thse instituation if they are capable enough!! that's why i insisted on basic level. Talking about son/daugher of street vendor doing good question. so if you think that this system is working you please tell me why are they still not making great? and you think that not allowing them to be in IIM is the "only" reason they are not doing great? I don't agree here. I as average student cannot go in higher institutes 'coz I am not competent enough, but certain class can go 'coz they are from diff. class? this is partiality. and someone who is bright and intellegent from middle class have to go to ordinary college 'coz they are form middle class but these other class student gets to this college NOT because they are bright, NOT becuase they passed the test, NOT because they are intellgetn enough just 'coz they are from some other class. if they can reach till this level they should be treated on basis of intellectual level. Just imagine all the engineer, docs, that come our of college and do you imagine if they don't know their field or subject how good they will treat us??

sowmyaa - you got my view totally wrong here!! I never said the system is working! It can't work - because to start with it never meant to be! It's just a politically motivated propaganda machine for the !@#$%

Also I am totally support meritocracy - I stated that before! But my experience of working with a particular tribe - near Santhal Paragana Bihar - tells me that these guys need a BIG push to come out of the vicious cycle carried forward by generation after generation!

I am from an Urban middle class family - so I know the pain there too!

Amogh: Atleast say a thank You to me - this post is going great in this section 😊. Not only 'I agree' type post - some great conversation!

soulsoup thumbnail
Originally posted by: X-rebel

Arent there poor students among the upper classes. Do all the rich belong to the upper classes? Instead of reserving seats for the OBCs.

I am im touch with the Youth For Equality and willl post the latest updated here.

Totally agree here Amogh - see what happened in Communist revolution in Bihar or Andhra - class politics turned into caste politics!!
X-rebel thumbnail
Anol a big thanks to u but still i feel that topic would have been better if placed in all Forums of IF.
Edited by X-rebel - 17 years ago
X-rebel thumbnail
Anol, u will be surprised to know that I myself am an OBC, and if this is implemented i will benifit most.
Rindam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Some more thoughts on a similar topic here.

https://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=180118&KW=re servation

Would like to add to this as well. Mainly on two points,

Mr.P.Chidambaran's views from television yesterday mentioning yet again the oft repeated pro reservation stance of what about reservation of seats in the form of money?

This is the most ridiculous and silly counter people give to answer reservation on the basis of caste (social status in society).
If I have the money I will pay. If I dont have the money, I will take a loan, beg or borrow, hopefully not desperate enough to steal. In any of the above mentioned ways I am responsible or will be held responsible for my education and actions, and not the government.

Now for those that bribetheir way into school then the issue is -definitely not- forward caste or backward caste. It is corruption.

So Mr. Chidambaram should spend time thinking and disseminating to his esteemed colleagues what the difference is between corruption and reservation.

Then we can talk further. After all if I can take a loan then so can you, If I can study so can you. If I can go to school so can you. If any of these dont seem a possibility then make those happen. Ask for those tools. Dont just jump the gun.

The second point that is oft made.

"Most of the IITians and the such leave the country for greener pastures. They dont benefit their motherland."

This statement is really so myopic.
DOes working for Coke vs. working for Infosys really mean that you have deserted your country? How bizzare is that. Does one have to sit at home twiddling their thumbs, or writing dozens of tests to get that one opportunity in the most unrewarding and intellectually demeaning set up in a sickeningly corrupt environment in a government of India job to show they care?

Don't discount the attention of the global audience. The IITians and their like have put the Indian mind on the world map today. So for all those out there that cry themselves hoarse that so many IITians are not gruelling in those dust laden government offices with boxes and boxes of paper, sorry that they dont. They didnt have to do that to make a difference in their own lives, and in the lives of millions of others.

There are some that stay back and -lay their life down- like Satyajit Dubey. Who cares? Not a peep out of Mr. Arjun Singh then. It's all just bogus, the larger part of the electorate is OBC=> more votes=> Arjun Singh and his team have rejuvenated interest and sympathy in the upliftment and betterment in the lives of these improverished souls. The others can take a long walk.