Telly stars fizzle out in Bollywood: Mona

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 12 years ago

Telly stars fizzle out in Bollywood

Indian television is achieving new milestones every day with its increasing popularity and reach, and like Bollywood it has its own set of stars: Ram Kapoor, Ronit Roy, Karan Singh Grover, Aditya Redij, Mona Singh, Sakshi Tanwar among others. But despite their popularity on the small screen, the ultimate goal it seems is always a break into the big screen. Looks like Bollywood rules the roost for the tele stars as well, even if it's a miniscule role.

Actor Karanvir Vohra, who played Prem in the popular TV show Kasauti Zindagii Kay, dabbled into a few films like Kismat Konnection and Chemistry before making a return to the small screen with the new show Dil Se Di Dua — Saubhagyavati Bhava. "I stopped doing TV, because the roles weren't challenging enough. I was tired of doing the same kind of role. As an actor you have to keep challenging yourself, else you lose the touch," he says.

In the past, we saw TV actors Aman Verma, Prachi Desai and Aamna Sharif dabble into films. As the case was many ended up playing small roles on the big screen.

Aamna gave up her promising role as Kashish in the show Kahiin To Hogaa to act opposite Aftab Shivdasani in Aloo Chaat and Aao Wish Karien. But after her Bollywood adventres turned into box office nightmares, the actress is now back on the small screen. So, if the success rate is so low, why is that Bollywood still remains the final destination for most actors?

Trade analyst Vinod Mirani says, "There is regular and more money in TV than in Bollywood, but despite that every actor aspires to be a film star. They take up roles whatever big or small that comes their way, hoping that one day they would be able to make it to the lead role."

Actor Mohnish Behl, who started with Bollywood and then moved to the small screen, says that although many actors still look at television as a stepping-stone, things are changing. "There was a time when Bollywood was more lucrative than television, but a lot has changed. But the platform does make a difference," he says, adding, "I have been doing both TV as well as cinema, and will continue to do so, depending on the kind of roles that come my way."

Mirani credits the move from TV to cinema to the success of some TV actors who went on to become the biggest superstars on the big screen. "Your most successful example is Shah Rukh Khan. He started from television, then after a few supporting roles, today he is now the King of Bollywood. Besides there are several other examples like Rajeev Khandelwal, who have created a name for them," he adds.
Vohra says,"Whenever I get a good role in films I will take it. But then again, I would never quit television."

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels/showbiz/tv-guide/telly-stars-fizzle-out-bollywood-687

Posted: 12 years ago

awesome article yaar 

today TV has became the biggest platform for promoting everything ryt from films to the elections 

today TV is considered is refferred as smartbox dan idiotbox😆

though in article there wasn much of mona in it 

but thnx as there wsn rajeev and amna's mention in it😆

thnx for sharin at the article