Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

how much BOLLYWOOD Playback Singers make?

tulip007 Goldie
tulip007
tulip007

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 8:13pm | IP Logged

hey,

How much money BOLLYWOOD Playback Singers like Shaan, Udit, Sonu, Kunal, K. K. Menon & etc....make for recording one song?

thanks..............................

Surpremi IF-Dazzler
Surpremi
Surpremi

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 8:19pm | IP Logged
This is a very good question and the answer really is "Not Much" in comparison to what the stars and MDs make. The supply side is large and the demand side is fair - thereby keeping the price low. It is truly sad but true!!!
Hawaa_Hawai Groupbie
Hawaa_Hawai
Hawaa_Hawai

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 8:36pm | IP Logged
Good Songs go a long way to make a movie a HIT but "no Kadar for the singers" ....Cry   Cry   Cry
tulip007 Goldie
tulip007
tulip007

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 8:49pm | IP Logged
Hey, guys.................thanks a lot for helping me.....

I just found an article while searching on Yahoo from The Telegraph.......

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1060312/asp/opinion/story_5952 298.asp

Edited by tulip007 - 11 May 2006 at 8:50pm
apparaohoare IF-Rockerz
apparaohoare
apparaohoare

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged
Most of the people connected to bollywood make a lot more money than they deserve. This is called the glamour world. I was watching an interview of Sonu Nigam few days back, where they were showing the flat where Sonu used to live when he came to Bombay. In that interview he said that when I came to this flat I had Bajaj scooter, but after 6 years when I left this flat I used park seven cars in this parking lot. Let me also tell you that he did not become famous that time.

Few days back I was reading somewhere in this forum that Abhijit Sawant and Pt. Jasraj ji performed in some Government sponsored concert, where both of them were paid 5 lacs each. Dead

I can't believe Abhijit Sawant got the same amount as Pt. Jasraj ji. Pt. Jasraj ji's dog has better sense of music than Abhijit Sawant.

How many times have you heard that someone connected to Bollywood starved to death, but a LEGEND like Ustad Bismillah Khan is dying because he cannot afford treatment or food. Renouned Violin player Pt. V.G. Jog died of starvation.  SHAMEFUL.  And you all people are saying that these people don't make much money.

Sonu Nigam makes more money in one week than Pt. Bhimsen Joshi ji makes in one year, but according to singing capability Sonu is not even comparable to the nail of Pt. Bhimsen Joshi ji's left toe.

Sab kismat ki baat hai bhai.

Edited by apparaohoare - 11 May 2006 at 9:06pm
apparaohoare IF-Rockerz
apparaohoare
apparaohoare

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:24pm | IP Logged
Saap bhai,

The point I am trying to make is that these people make a lot more money than the deserve.

Recently in an interview with Shaan the host asked him that " Now that you are making in 6 figures per song, how do you feel?" He did not reply to that.

How long do you think it takes Shaan to record a song? Maximum 3 to 4 hours. If you consider the lowest six figure number (100,000), don't you think that's too much for a 4 hour effort? Still lot of people here are saying that they don't make a lot of money. Ouch

chatbuster IF-Rockerz
chatbuster
chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by viper8234

Originally posted by apparaohoare

Most of the people connected to bollywood make a lot more money than they deserve. This is called the glamour world. I was watching an interview of Sonu Nigam few days back, where they were showing the flat where Sonu used to live when he came to Bombay. In that interview he said that when I came to this flat I had Bajaj scooter, but after 6 years when I left this flat I used park seven cars in this parking lot. Let me also tell you that he did not become famous that time.

Few days back I was reading somewhere in this forum that Abhijit Sawant and Pt. Jasraj ji performed in some Government sponsored concert, where both of them were paid 5 lacs each. Dead

I can't believe Abhijit Sawant got the same amount as Pt. Jasraj ji. Pt. Jasraj ji's dog has better sense of music than Abhijit Sawant.

How many times have you heard that someone connected to Bollywood starved to death, but a LEGEND like Ustad Bismillah Khan is dying because he cannot afford treatment or food. Renouned Violin player Pt. V.G. Jog died of starvation.  SHAMEFUL.  And you all people are saying that these people don't make much money.

Sonu Nigam makes more money in one week than Pt. Bhimsen Joshi ji makes in one year, but according to singing capability Sonu is not even comparable to the nail of Pt. Bhimsen Joshi ji's left toe.

Sab kismat ki baat hai bhai.

Appaji that was quite good bit of knowlege but...tulip is asking only about playback singers...pt jasraj, Pt. Joshi are not playback singers.

someone like sonu probably has hundreds of songs each year. with that number, even Rs. 25k per song translates into a crore plus a year. six years ago, that might have still bought a whole lot...

none of this is very different from the IIMs- the professors get paid $4 lakhs a year (so i read), and their students earn $30-40 lakhs. there are economic reasons to explain these disparities, including the one you raised abt Pt Joshi, but none that wld lessen your indignation...

as for supply/ demand imbalances with respect to MDs and singers, the reasons are not as obvious. there are probably 5 to 7 MDs today who are saleable, in comparison to maybe 20 singers. but on average, per movie, each MD needs singers for 7-8 songs. so there are enough songs to go around for each singer, assuming they are equally in demand. the real explanation to my mind then is the fact that the MD is like the CEO and the singer an employee. if you see how some CEOs make 100 times what their employees make, then the disparities might not seem as shocking...

chatbuster IF-Rockerz
chatbuster
chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:37pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by apparaohoare

Saap bhai,

The point I am trying to make is that these people make a lot more money than the deserve.

Recently in an interview with Shaan the host asked him that " Now that you are making in 6 figures per song, how do you feel?" He did not reply to that.

How long do you think it takes Shaan to record a song? Maximum 3 to 4 hours. If you consider the lowest six figure number (100,000), don't you think that's too much for a 4 hour effort? Still lot of people here are saying that they don't make a lot of money. Ouch

your point is well-taken... but it's a different world. look at how folks sitting on real-estate in india are making a killing. some of those houses are getting close to international levels. look at how much some of the IT guys make- $1K to $2K a month. dont even have to incur the expenses associated with overseas living in order to earn that. so what's the point? well, look at how much singers make overseas. millions of dollars. given that in other areas we seem to have achieved some parity with the west, at least in singing we dont seem to be doing as well as the western singers.

so the comparison can be between different musical activities within India (where i wld agree with your stmt that our playback singers are way overpaid in relation to other singers). but the comparison cld also be cross-border, where our singers wld seem to be making miniscule amts compared to their western counterparts.

Go to top