Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 3 Page 4

Rapier

IF-Rockerz

Rapier

Posted: 19 February 2012 at 3:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by chocolover89

Well I think versatility is important in a dance competition also. If the contestants keep doing the same thing again and again it's boring for us and for them too I feel. In a competition, if you want to shine and stand out, you gotta push the envelope, test your boundaries.
Versatility has nothing to do with attemting different styles. Versatility is all about doing different styles WELL. Well being the key word.

If dancer A presents something new every week and performs beautifully and dancer B does the SAME thing every week (but is damn good at what he/she does), I think dancer A has the upper hand over dancer B and deserves to win more than dancer B.

Anyways this season, hardly any dancers can be called versatile. Most of them have stayed in their comfort zones.

EDIT: I don't mean to say versatility is the end-all be-all of dance and that you're a bad dancer if you're not versatile. Some people just aren't. Its okay..not the end of the world.

Bingo! I'm actually very sick of hearing the masters say "at least you've attempted a different style" or "i know this is not your forte, so what you did was good." Forte or not... When you are in a competition and want to prove that you are dancing star, you have to MAKE every dance style your forte. Merely attempting it doesn't satisfy. I am hopeless in dancing. Would I be considered good if I just "attempted" hip hop? i think not! the grading criteria should not change according to the contestants' prior knowledge/skill in that dance form. It is unfair.

@topic: Some of these dancers aspire to become top choreographers. So I think it is very important for them to learn and understand different dance forms and know them well. Secondly, I think versatility should be a criteria for the judging of the dancers because, like Chocolate said above, it is easier to judge which dancer is better.  If one dancer can master more than one style as opposed to another who can only do one, I think the former deserves to win.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

nilu215ninatishJess.chocolover89

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Versatility (Page 2)" in Dance India Dance Season 3 forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

BlrBabe

Goldie

BlrBabe

Posted: 19 February 2012 at 7:57pm | IP Logged
versatility is important but is not determining ... a person should always try atempt new things otherwise they become complacent .. Actor is a good one if he can attempt various emotion and roles .. singer becomes good when they can be at least attempt different styles and tempos ..  a musician may not know all how to play differnt instrument but must able understand music in all different forms ..
Since its a competition a better dancer is the one who can try differnt style and at least attempt a good job 

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 19 February 2012 at 8:48pm | IP Logged

It it good to be versatile generally but still be an expert in a particular genre.

Now at this stage no one cares about being versatile as the Janta is voting.
But being versatile it ensures the show does not get boring.

Those with good looks n figure need not be so versatile it seems.LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-desigirl-

Cutiepie Rani

IF-Stunnerz

Cutiepie Rani

Posted: 20 February 2012 at 3:26pm | IP Logged
Versatility is extremely important not just in dance, but in singing and acting as well. Of course you want mastery of a particular form too. But when it comes to competitions whether it be singing or dancing, versatility is a key component. 

You want to see your favorite contestant trying something new every week. They need to take up challenges on a competition show like DID. They need to step out of their comfort zone and try something new! I would much rather be eliminated from a show after trying something new and not living up to the standards rather than doing what I always do every week and just not performing up to the mark in that form of dance.

I would much rather have the winner of a competition (whether that be of singing or dancing) be versatile than someone who is a master at one dance or singing form.

I have yet to see any sort of "WOW" factor versatility from the current contestants this season. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Meredith

chocolover89

IF-Sizzlerz

chocolover89

Posted: 20 February 2012 at 3:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rapier

Bingo! I'm actually very sick of hearing the masters say "at least you've attempted a different style" or "i know this is not your forte, so what you did was good." Forte or not... When you are in a competition and want to prove that you are dancing star, you have to MAKE every dance style your forte. Merely attempting it doesn't satisfy. I am hopeless in dancing. Would I be considered good if I just "attempted" hip hop? i think not! the grading criteria should not change according to the contestants' prior knowledge/skill in that dance form. It is unfair.

I know...its a very common mistake and quite annoying also. I don't even know how many times I have heard: you're versatile because you tried something new. That's bull.

In my high school, dance was offered as a physical ed class..it consisted of 4 different forms--- jazz, ballet, modern, swing dancing. I took it for a year but I'm not going to say I'm a VERSATILE dancer just because I attempted 4 different dance forms over the course of a year because really anybody with a basic knowledge of those forms will tell you how bad I am so really I'll just sound like an idiot. Sleepy

Word on the masters saying at least you attempted something new. Its damn annoying now. I don't really care if its your forte or not..if you're going to perform a new style, then try your very best to do justice to it. If you don't, well better luck next time. if you performed well, great.

I do think Remo/Geeta have come down expecially hard on Raghav regarding the versatility issue..probably because of his popularity. He hasn't shown versatility yes and I myself doubt that he can be versatile. But he's been here for a week..he's done something like 4 performances. Yeah he was awkward yesterday and probably amongst the weakest yesterday. But I'm willing to give him some time now that Terence himself said he's going to put in the work to get Raghav to do different styles. Let's see what Terence does with Raghav...

Remo/Geeta almost made it seem like Raghva is the ONLY dancer who has not shown versatility which is laughable really..there are people in their groups who haven't even hit the v of versatility yet..

Edited by chocolover89 - 20 February 2012 at 4:06pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

nilu215RapierAreYaar

AreYaar

IF-Addictz

AreYaar

Posted: 20 February 2012 at 4:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by chocolover89

Remo/Geeta almost made it seem like Raghva is the ONLY dancer who has not shown versatility which is laughable really..there are people in their groups who haven't even hit the v of versatility yet..

WORD...someone tell Remo to take a look at his own group *cough* Sanam *cough* anyone?Tongue Seriously what is that kid doing other than his awkward contemporary routines day in and out? How come no one points out HIS lack of versatility? ACTING out in every "performance" of yours doesn't make you a VERSATILE dancer either.  And yeah...what about Urvashi the "PROP QUEEN"??WackoLOL

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

nilu215zaabemardRapierchocolover89

zaabemard

zaabemard

Posted: 20 February 2012 at 5:23pm | IP Logged
Remo/Geeta are going to attack Raghav because he is the biggest threat to their teams. It is predictable and expected.

Until Urvashi is still there doing morning stretches and trying to pass it off as dancing, it is pointless to criticize any other dancers.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Rapierchocolover89AreYaar

AreYaar

IF-Addictz

AreYaar

Posted: 20 February 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by zaabemard

Remo/Geeta are going to attack Raghav because he is the biggest threat to their teams. It is predictable and expected.

Until Urvashi is still there doing morning stretches and trying to pass it off as dancing, it is pointless to criticize any other dancers.

LOLLOLSo true...loll@ morning stretches...ahahaaLOL

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Dance India Dance Season 3 Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.