Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

   

A loved leader? Or a feared leader?

-Aliya- IF-Sizzlerz
-Aliya-
-Aliya-

Joined: 27 March 2009
Posts: 15088

Posted: 16 February 2012 at 11:15am | IP Logged
Is it better, more effective for a leader to be loved or feared by their people? 
Which is the best fit quality to someone in command to be successful in leadership? 
Can they possess both and still be a strong leader? 

Forever-KA IF-Rockerz
Forever-KA
Forever-KA

Joined: 01 April 2009
Posts: 5426

Posted: 16 February 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged

I remember a movie called Mohabbatein. It was on same topic i.e. love or fear.

 
In short it is a story about an uncle, a love guru, three stooges and a ghost. The uncle is the principal of a college where three stooges study. The college is run on fear. There is no love, no fun, no freedom. Enters the love guru and ghost. The three stooges under the leadership of love guru began a revolt and then story and the school goes towards a downward spiral. Uncle sacks guru.
 
 
Towards the end love guru reveals that he is the fiance of his late daughter (the ghost). He tells him that he loves him the most in this world despite never meeting him before. However uncle does not appreciate his sentiments. Love guru then gives the line of the movie. He said from where I am looking you have lost old man. You lost your daughter and today you lost a son - the love guru.
 

Uncle gets emotional. He immediately calls a meeting. He apologizes to all students. He hands over the college to love guru. He leaves and with it we have colorful people with dhol, bajas and tablas entering the college and people spreading love everywhere. Now don't ask me what happened after the exams.

 
A scene from the movie. Here love guru is playing dhool, stooges dancing, ghost in romantic mode but uncle controlling his BP
 
 
 
moral of the story is that both are not important qualities. a leader should be honest and hard working.


Edited by King-Anu - 16 February 2012 at 9:40pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Rehanism-Aliya-

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Joined: 24 September 2007
Posts: 44279

Posted: 16 February 2012 at 9:29pm | IP Logged
It has to be a balance of both.
You can love a pop star but the country will go down the dumps LOL

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

NinaArief-Aliya-blue-ice

Forever-KA IF-Rockerz
Forever-KA
Forever-KA

Joined: 01 April 2009
Posts: 5426

Posted: 16 February 2012 at 9:38pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Summer3

It has to be a balance of both.

You can love a pop star but the country will go down the dumps LOL

 
i dont think any is needed. as long as one is honest and hard working it does not matter if he or she is loved or not.


Edited by King-Anu - 16 February 2012 at 9:43pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyf-Aliya-Angel-likeDevil

blue-ice IF-Stunnerz
blue-ice
blue-ice

Joined: 04 March 2009
Posts: 33512

Posted: 16 February 2012 at 10:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by King-Anu

I remember a movie called Mohabbatein. It was on same topic i.e. love or fear.

 
In short it is a story about an uncle, a love guru, three stooges and a ghost. The uncle is the principal of a college where three stooges study. The college is run on fear. There is no love, no fun, no freedom. Enters the love guru and ghost. The three stooges under the leadership of love guru began a revolt and then story and the school goes towards a downward spiral. Uncle sacks guru.
 
 
Towards the end love guru reveals that he is the fiance of his late daughter (the ghost). He tells him that he loves him the most in this world despite never meeting him before. However uncle does not appreciate his sentiments. Love guru then gives the line of the movie. He said from where I am looking you have lost old man. You lost your daughter and today you lost a son - the love guru.
 

Uncle gets emotional. He immediately calls a meeting. He apologizes to all students. He hands over the college to love guru. He leaves and with it we have colorful people with dhol, bajas and tablas entering the college and people spreading love everywhere. Now don't ask me what happened after the exams.

 
A scene from the movie. Here love guru is playing dhool, stooges dancing, ghost in romantic mode but uncle controlling his BP
 
 
 
moral of the story is that both are not important qualities. a leader should be honest and hard working.
Yes I agree with u King ji...the leader should be fair and just to all...
 
BTW...Mohabattein is one of the stupidest movies I have ever seen...the way they encouraged the students ki pyaar karo...bhaag kar ladkiyon ke paas jao...OMG...ek toh teens ..oopar se aisi shiksha...the concept of the movie was good...but they shouldn't have used a school to potray it...they could have used something else...according to me Amitabh was absolutely right in this movie and Shahrukh was plain wrong...i mean who will teach 15-16 year old kids ki padhai chodkar..ishq ladaoOuchConfused

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Aliya-

Vinzy IF-Stunnerz
Vinzy
Vinzy

Joined: 03 December 2005
Posts: 27064

Posted: 17 February 2012 at 3:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Aliya-

Is it better, more effective for a leader to be loved or feared by their people? 
Which is the best fit quality to someone in command to be successful in leadership? 
Can they possess both and still be a strong leader? 
 
I believe a leader should have the skills to find implants ideas to mob...to grab their attention with their speech or work...and i think a leader arises in people who are suffering from an inferiority complexSmile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Aliya-

return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Joined: 18 January 2006
Posts: 21475

Posted: 17 February 2012 at 8:18am | IP Logged

They were supposed to be teenagers in Mohabattein? I thought they were college youth, like undergraduate students. IMO, both Big B and SRK were wrong in the movie. Excessively strict rules, segregating genders, prohibiting flirting or all forms of romantic interests, prohibiting festive activities is wrong and OTT.  At the same time encouraging students to focus only on romantic interests is foolish. Not to mention how unhealthy it is for a grown man to obsess over and have visions of a dead lover. I get that it was tragic and the intent, but there are better ways to deal with grief. The original Dead Poets Society is such a beautiful movie. A much better plot and story.

 

Anyway on topic, leadership style completely depends on the nature of organization, nature of followers and situation. Some people respond to fear and need tough authoritarian leaders. Some people get intimidated or retaliate to fear and need more loving leadership style. Some situations need a leader to take charge and bark orders. Some situations need a leader to inspire others or take feedback. An army commander does not give a fuzzy feel good speech and ask his soldiers what they feel and what they want to do. They give out precise orders and are harsh on those who don't perform or obey. That does not make them bad leaders. A good leader is one who can adapt their style as necessary and get the right results.  

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyfArwen.-Aliya-

Arwen. IF-Sizzlerz
Arwen.
Arwen.

Joined: 30 September 2008
Posts: 13472

Posted: 17 February 2012 at 9:35am | IP Logged
They werent teenagers LOL they were all 20 somethings in the movie Tongue

I remember crying buckets when watching this movie .. I also remember how my mother didn't want me to watch it because she deemed it a bit vulgar (aka the girls' clothing LOL) 10 years on.. i still love the song but cant understand why i liked it in the first place LOL


Coming to the topic ... A good leader is one who knows the pulse of his people and adapts accordingly .. someone who is able to take some tough decisions - even if it means going against the popular tide .. In  short  a leader who balances the act of being loved as well as feared ...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Aliya-

Go to top

Related Topics

  Topics Author Replies Views Last Post
Amar SIngh...Leader Or Shame for Nation

Author: Golden iron   Replies: 5   Views: 607

Golden iron 5 607 28 October 2008 at 7:02pm by Gauri_3
Who to pick as an political leader?

Author: raj5000   Replies: 4   Views: 377

raj5000 4 377 15 September 2008 at 3:11pm by raj5000
Not responsibility towards loved one's?

Author: raj5000   Replies: 6   Views: 374

raj5000 6 374 28 June 2007 at 1:45am by kabhi_21
Most overrated Indian Leader then and Now

2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12

Author: IdeaQueen   Replies: 95   Views: 3906

IdeaQueen 95 3906 16 April 2007 at 11:13am by sareg
Leader vs. Follower

2

Author: Neelu.RoX   Replies: 10   Views: 3432

Neelu.RoX 10 3432 23 April 2006 at 3:46am by Traveller

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index