Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sangeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 18 years ago
TELLY BUZZ

Kudos to jayati
  After her stupendous performance in the play Vagina Monologue, Jayati Bhatia is now seen on Zee TV's Sinndoor Tere Naam Ka as Titli.  
http://www.screenindia.com/print.php?content_id=10229
After her stupendous performance in the play Vagina Monologue, Jayati Bhatia is now seen on Zee TV's Sinndoor Tere Naam Ka as Titli. Known for her serious and mature portrayals on stage, Jayati as Titli is a real treat to the eye. Dressed in salwar kurtas in loud colours, Titli is extremely fond of her paranda, a swirl of which makes things fall down. According to Kinnari Mehta, co-producer of the serial, the character of Titli was inspired by Bindu's role in Main Hoon Na. Titli true to her name wears a ring with a butterfly on it and a butterfly tattoo on her back. She is called butterfly by her husband as she flits around like a titli. And as always, say the makers, Jayati has done a brilliant job.

http://www.screenindia.com/print.php?content_id=10229

sangeeta thumbnail

Vermilion power

She steps on the threshold and gently touches the round-bottomed urn with her right foot, spilling the rice. The eye rests on everything portraying her married self -- the mehndi -decorated feet, the toe-ring, the ankle-chain, the girdle, the glass bangles and mehndi -adorned hands, the mangalsutra , the nose ring, the red bindi on her forehead, and the sindoor .

But it's the sindoor that truly ascribes to the married Hindu woman -- the unassuming red powder that rests in the parting of the hair. The suhagan will vouch for its sheer power. And power it is that red colour is associated with. Sindoor , or vermilion, is a symbol of the female energy of Parvati and Sati. A traditional component of sindoor is powdered red lead.

Alum and turmeric are also used as ingredients sometimes. And it is to encash on the popularity of and belief in the sindoor that Zee TV airs its new series tonight -- Sinndoor Tere Naam Ka -- from Monday to Thursday, at 7.30 pm. The story revolves around two brothers, their star-crossed marriage, and the dramatic twists and turns their lives take. So, while Niharika loathes the sight of her husband Antariksh and makes his life miserable, Dhruv's family dislikes his wife Vedika, who's mentally infirm. But Dhruv relentlessly takes care of his wife with the help of his childhood love Aarti, and Vedika gradually begins to show signs of improvement. But when fully cured, Vedika refuses to acknowledge Dhruv as her husband, for she's still waiting for the man she loves. The title -- Sinndoor Tere Naam Ka -- says the rest.

" Sinndoor is a family saga with a powerful storyline and well-defined characters. You can look forward to some great music as well," says Ashvini Yardi, programming head, Zee TV.

Gurdeep Kohli, popularly known as Dr Juhi, plays Vedika, Kirti Gaekwad plays Niharika and Tanvi Azmi is Kavita Raizada, the mother-in-law. Tanvi is returning to television after a long hiatus, and Gurdeep is all praise for her -- "Tanvi is a wonderful human being, and it was great working with her. I've gelled with her very well." And on her role as 'Niharika', Gurdeep says, "I've tried to give a different, innocent touch to may character. No digging noses, pulling hair and acting wild. The nuance is in the cute, adorable child-like faces I make and the spontaneity I've given to the character." Let's wait and watch for this one.

sangeeta thumbnail
Matching mania
Saturday April 23 2005 00:01 IST

http://www.newindpress.com/sunday/sundayitems.asp?id=SEW2005 0422143450&eTitle=People&rLink=0

Tear jerker family dramas have set off some bizarre fashion trends. But this one takes the cake. Actress Tanvi Azmi starring in Zee's latest daily show, Jay Mehta's Sinndoor Tere Naam Ka teams her sari with a smear of powder of the same colour on her forehead.

Says Azmi, "It was a look I wanted and we decided to go ahead with it. Let's hope it's liked by the viewers." This one sure is a technicolour optimist.

http://www.newindpress.com/sunday/sundayitems.asp?id=SEW2005 0422143450&eTitle=People&rLink=0

HugabbleJaan thumbnail

www.indiantelevision.comWatch out for Gurdeep Kohli in Zee's Sindoor. In a few days from now, her role is doubling up. You guessed it right! The pretty Punjabi kudi will be seen in a very different avtaar, something that has not been attempted on Indian television before. "It's very much a Pretty Woman type of body language. It won't be a whore character. But yes, something very crass." Can we wait?

According to www.indiantelevision.com... I am not sure how much is these true! But, it will be awesome to see Gurdeep In double role!! Call it double maaza... 😃

rashmi1 thumbnail
 Sachin Shroff plays Dhruv in Zee TV's Sinndoor — Tere Naam Ka and also stars in Sahara One's Pepsi Ada. He was part of Shagun and Vishwas, and has also done ads for Maruti Omni, Livon and Colgate, among others.

Here are ten things about him…

When is your birthday and what is your star sign?
December 17. I am a Sagittarian.

Do you believe in astrology and numerology?
A little bit, I guess.

Where were you born and which school did you go to?
I am a proper Bombayite. Initially, I was studied at NMT Academy on Lamington Road, and later shifted to Chembur.

What was your first job? And how much was your first paycheque?
I didn't do a job as such. As soon as I was eligible enough, I started working in our family company. So, there was no paycheck but good profits.

One thing you are really bad at doing?
Lying.

Where in Mumbai would you rather be staying?
I am going to shift to Bandra shortly.

What handset do you use?
Nokia 6260.

What car do you use?
A Maruti Zen and a Wagon R.

What has been your most embarrassing moment?
I had gone for a film shooting to Pakistan and the people almost jumped on me, even tearing my shirt!

How often do you say, "I love you"?
Everyday, to my mom.

JinK thumbnail
Arjun and Gurdeep in seventh heaven
Lovebirds Arjun Punj and Gurdeep Kohli are an elated duo today. They are just back after receiving Young Achievers awards instituted by a city organization.
"The award consists of a trophy. It was an honour to be given the award by Maharashtra's deputy chief minister Gopinath Munde," says Gurdeep with pride. The award function took place in Mumbai on Thursday. No wonder Arjun had to stay away from the press conference of Sahara One's show Woh Rehne Waali Mehlon Ki, where he plays the lead. "The awards function was scheduled much earlier. So I couldn'tmake it to the press conference," he said. The others who were honoured with the young achiever award were Rajpal Yadav and Indian Idol runner-up Amit Sana, we hear.
JinK thumbnail

SACHIN SHROFF

My Birthday: 17 December 1979

My current show on air: "Sindoor" - I play Dhruv

Acting is: reacting to different situations at different times

Most versatile actress on television: Nikki Aneja

If Priyanka Chopra proposed to me: I would ask her if she's joking

Love is: not just a four letter word, it has a lot to do with emotions

Sex is: not to be discussed with everyone

The woman's part I like the most: eyes

My most embarrassing moment: I was shooting for a Pakistani film in Kutch and got mobbed because of my show 'Shagun' and my shirt was torn in the process

The fruit I resemble the most: banana

From Indiantelevision.com

suraj@999 thumbnail

Gurdeep's crass act

Gurdeep's crass act

Watch out for Gurdeep Kohli in Zee's Sindoor. In a few days from now, her role is doubling up. You guessed it right! The pretty Punjabi kudi will be seen in a very different avtaar, something that has not been attempted on Indian television before. "It's very much a Pretty Woman type of body language. It won't be a whore character. But yes, something very crass." Can we wait?

Interview with television actor Gurdeep Kohli

"My experiences with television have left me more fulfilled than the big screen"
Posted on 2 February 2004

She has modelled for brands such as Ponds, ICICI, Baazee.com, Cadbury's, Ariel and Nestle, before she was offered Pankaj Udhas's music video Kya Mujhse Dosti Karoge. Her lovely big eyes, girl-next-door looks and a disarming smile got noticed almost immediately and it wasn't long before she was offered to play the role of Dr Juhi Singh in Sanjivani- A Medical Boon. From then on there's been no looking back for this Punjabi kudi, Gurdeep Kohli.

Recently, we saw her in a cameo in Bhabhi, shortly she will appear in another cameo in Son Pari.

indiantelevision.com's Vickey Lalwani caught up with this model-turned-TV actor at Cinevistaas' studio in Kanjurmarg on a chilly evening. Excerpts:

How did this model develop aspirations to become an actress?
Frankly, it just happened. Cinevistaas saw the ad I had done for Ariel and they called me. It was a Sunday afternoon and by evening, my measurements were being taken for clothes.

And you jumped in?
Almost. I don't believe in formal training in acting. I have always been a big 'nautanki' at home, imitating actors at the first opportunity. Besides, I strongly believe that it doesn't take much time in the telly world to learn acting if you have even a little bit of interest. Every day, we do nearly ten scenes. So, there is a regular and continuous scope for improvement. If I get time, I see my serials and know where I need to improve.

Plus, there is so much of feedback we get from the viewers; whether it is in person on the roads or on the phone and mail. I am lucky that I have got to work with stalwarts like Rajiv Varma, Smita Jaykar and Vikram Gokhale; all these people gave me lots of useful guidance in my early days; their presence is so heartwarming that you can give nothing but your best.

Working with senior actors can be tough...
(Interrupts) I know there is a general feeling that senior actors are aloof and intimidating, but at least, I haven't come across any. It all depends on how newcomers presents themselves. Some newcomers think no end of themselves. They think they know everything even before they have the lines in hand, how do you expect the seniors to feel comfortable working with such newcomers? No senior likes to dilute the scene.

What have you learnt from seniors like Mohnish Behl, Rajeev Varma, and above all, Vikram Gokhale?
Lot of things. Vikram Gokhale in particular has this knack of getting into any character and enacting the scene. He is so involved with the script. Like, he would literally show me how Juhi should react in certain difficult scenes. He has taught me a lot on how to use my hands in the serial. Television is a medium where the camera is mostly on your face so you often end up doing very little with hands. In such cases, an actor never grows but finds it difficult to perform in plays and films where your entire body has to be in sync with your dialogue delivery. I will never forget at least one of his most important lessons- never stand with your hands folded because it portrays a very uncommunicative feeling.

From Mohnish Behl, I have learnt how to underplay the character which is very important. Even if it's the role of a vamp, there is no need to go over the top and start screaming and wailing. Else, an actor ends up looking like a caricature. Also, Mohnish has taught me a lot on how to modulate my voice, keeping with demands of the situation.

Unfortunately, I have had very few scenes with Rajeev Verma.

Are you allowed to improvise?
We 'have to' improvise. There are many scenes which when read, do not go with the character. There are so many words which I have been told not to stress on, but sometimes I feel that I should. Having been Dr Juhi for so long now, I know exactly how she would react, so I try to convince the director accordingly.

"Modifications and caution is the key to ensure that one does not end up looking repetitive in every frame"

There are two theories about the acting craft. One is that you should always be truthful while acting and never lie. The other theory is the opposite which is that acting is the art of lying. Which theory do you believe in?
There is yet another theory and that is to get into the skin of the character you are profiling (so you're not yourself) and then portraying that character honestly. That way you are not lying and not telling the truth either.

I sit with the director and the assistant director and make the changes amicably. Having been Dr Juhi for some time now, I can visualise how her specific outputs in different scenes would appear on screen. Improvisation is a must. Recently, Shashank (Mohnish Behl) improvised on a scene and it took the scene to heights greater than the writer had conceived.

Is it so easy to sense and visualise?
I don't know about everyone, but I am a very sensitive actor. And I think that every sensitive actor after a certain period of time, does sense what he should do and what he should not; whether his/her scene would look convincing or not. If you don't, it shows on television.

It's not easy in this medium if you don't sense and visualise. Like there are occasions where my face shot is taken while I am saying the dialogues, but the person to whom I am saying is not present. So I should know what he is likely to say and how he is likely to react if I want to keep the tempo of the scene going. Sensitivity is a basic requirement in a TV actor.

Like I know that Juhi is a girl who has her emotions in check, she is a very controlled and subtle character. Her laughter is just a chuckle, her anger rarely leads to an outburst. Even her other emotions like disappointment and surprise are not required by words. For disappointment, she just needs to drop her shoulders. For surprise, she just needs to widen her eyes.

Was sensitivity the only thing that helped you to get into the skin of your character?
Good question. Actually, there are two basic requirements of an actor. First is sensitivity and second is adjusting to different characters in the plot. Like, I need to speak with Shashank in a manner which is different from the manner I speak to Simran which in turn is different from the manner I speak to Rahul.

With Shashank, I am softer. With Simran and her father, I have to be upfront because both play negative. Again here, Simran and her father are two different people. Considering her dad's age, I cannot go beyond a certain level, I'd rather introduce a tone of sarcasm in my dialogues. But with Simran who is about my age and is 'actually' responsible for the mess I find myself in, I can meet her head-on sort of tit-for-tat. But of course, I can't be as nasty and vocal as she is, because it would go against my character in the show. Modifications and caution is the key to ensure that one does not end up looking repetitive in every frame.

Which scenes do you prefer, romantic scenes or conflict scenes?
I prefer romantic scenes. Basically I am a Yash Chopra fan. (Laughs). I also prefer that the romantic scene is immediately followed by a conflict scene between Simran and myself. Since Simran is the thorn in my love for Rahul (Mihir Mishra), thereafter my output for the conflict scene automatically gets enhanced.

How do you alter to the requirement of the mood variations?
Sensitivity again. Unlike many others, I don't believe that I need to remember something sad from my personal life to enact a crying scene or for that matter a joke from my personal life to enact a comedy scene. If you deal sensitively with the script, you will automatically become a switch-on-switch-off actor. There are scenes where there is no time to think about the past. If one of our co-actors has not reported, we are given additional scenes. There is no time gap for us to scratch our heads and trace back.

Do you sometimes feel that a particular shot has not gone well?
Often. In such cases, I request for a re-take. At times, the re-take is better. At times, the first shot is better. Whichever is better, is retained.

Change of directors. How do you cope up?
That does become a problem. First, every director has a different style of functioning. Two, certain directors have rigid policies. Like there were a few directors in between who were adamant that I should cry in scene that I am hurt. I, for one, don't believe in using glycerin and shedding tears. Why should unreality be projected in a melodramatic manner? But I have learnt to take it in my stride.

"The industry is tough and competition is high. I believe it is best to be professional and do your job well"

Do you'll have meetings which tell you how your character is going to shape up in near future?
Yes, we do. That is very important or else an actor would become a robot. It is very helpful to keep the body language in flow of the story.

Have there been scenes where you have disagreed, but you can't do anything?
Ya sometimes because after all, the channel is the boss and rules the show. Like there is this scene which is coming up shortly- you will find me in chains with my face blackened. Simran is wishing ill for me. I was quite amused. Simran is shown as a doctor. Does a doctor think like this?

Playing the same character continuously, make the acting skills go unnoticed. Agree?
Not at all. Believe me, I have been flooded with offers. Here goes the list of people who wanted me in their projects: Vashu Bhagnani for Hrishita Bhatt's role in Out Of Control, Ken Ghosh for Amrita Rao's role in Ishk Vishk Pyar Vyar, Sooraj Barjatya for Rajat Barjatya's film which never materialised, Ekta Kapoor for Aamna Shariff's role in Kahiin To Hoga. And Ashutosh Gowariker screen-tested me for Swades starring Shah Rukh Khan. But first, I want the serial to reach a logical conclusion. I am not in a hurry to reach anywhere. I will tread on the glamour road very stealthily. I am very young, I want to take my own sweet time getting there on top.

After playing such a positive role, do you think you'll be considered for negative characters?
Frankly, many people tell me that I have a very positive looking face. So, that is a bit of a problem. But I have the ability to surprise and shock. Don't jump to conclusions so early in my career.

We have heard that you and Mihir Mishra don't get along?
You have heard it right. Our equation broke even when Shilpa Kadam was still a part of the serial. Her role started turning very negative, she didn't like it and left the serial. Around those days, Mihir stopped talking to me. I have no clue what bugged him when Shilpa opted out. Initially, I was shocked. But now, it has become a part of life. What to do? I think he would be the right person to ask this question.

But how doesn't it reflect on screen?
Maybe we both are very good actors (Laughs).

The last few episodes had been shocking- like Juhi staying with Rahul's wife in the same house. Do you identify with such a situation in real life?
Never. I consider marriage as sacred and sacrosanct. Moreover, marriage in India is not restricted to the boy and girl coming together; even the families count. If I am not accepted by my guy's parents, I would never get married to him. Like Dr Juhi, I would not continue my love affair with my lover if he ties the knot with someone else.

Where does 'Sanjivani- A Medical Boon' go from here?
Some new characters are going to be introduced. Let me not spill any more beans (Smiles)..

angel05 thumbnail
Gurdip Kohli

Favourite holiday destination
London. I went there three months ago with my mother. I travelled by cab, trains… it reminded me of college days. And the
shopping was excellent. You must carry a camera to capture everything!

Memorable incidents
My mum and I were living at Edward Road and had to go to Southall. If you are a Sikh and visit London, you have to go there. It was very late in the night, around 7.30 pm and I was scared. I was new to the place and we had to take the tube and change trains. But now I am very proud I went there.

Dream destination and most romantic place
Europe. I am a big Yash Chopra fan and after I get married, that is where I want to go. And Goa is the most romantic destination because of the beaches.

Where would you never want to go?
Anywhere that's not comfortable.

Cash crunch?
It's an expensive city, so a budget of atleast Rs 1 lakh per head is mandatory!

Henna thumbnail

Gurdeep Kohli was one among the many pretty girls in the suburbs of Mumbai. She would well have continued pursuing a career in advertising had Sanjeevani not came her way. Overnight, Kohli acquired a new name and face —Dr. Juhi Singh. After enjoying that identity for three long years, she has donned a new look as Vedika in Sindoor.

Excerpts from an interview

Sindoor helped Zee move a notch higher in the TRP game. How do you feel?
Great. I had faced a lot of criticism when I decided to do Sindoor. Everyone wanted to know why was I doing a show for Zee! I always believed this serial would add to the popularity of the channel. I'm glad we've accomplished that.

From a doctor to an Indian patni, how did the transition take place?
It's been a gradual process. In Sanjeevani, I was a working Indian girl whereas in Sindoor, I play the Indian woman who has dedicated her life to her family. As Dr Juhi, I gave a lot of social messages. But I got tired of it towards the end.
Vedika is a new beginning for me.

About your boyfriend Arjun Punj?
We're very much together and he's rather close to me. What more do I talk about?

Now that you're not doing Sanjeevani, do you miss him on the sets?
Not really. I do only one show at a time which takes up 10-12 days of the month. I see to it that my work does not affect my personal life.

How do you see your relationship two years from now?
We are definitely looking forward to a future together. But, both of us are busy with our respective work, and are too young to take a quick decision.

Were you forced to speak about your relationship because of the speculation?
No. I wanted to talk about it only when I was sure about it myself. Only then it is wise to spill the beans.

You were studying graphic designing. What made you quit the profession and join showbiz?
I was always before the camera since college. I would model for my friends who were into advertising. Later I worked in an advertising agency and modeled for them besides being in the creative department. So, when acting came my way I didn't give it a second thought even.

Do you think you would have attained such popularity in any other profession?
No. People are interested in knowing about actresses. If I break my leg, I know that Popkorn or some other show will talk about it.

How do you feel being nominated as Best Patni for Star Parivaar awards?
I feel great but then; I think the nomination is more for the character Juhi than for me. I would really feel great if I was nominated for Sindoor. My character in Sindoor is more challenging and it helped shape my acting graph.

Your idea of a complete woman…
A complete woman is not only the one who is independent but also the one who manages a house as well. She strikes the perfect balance between the two worlds.