Diya Aur Baati Hum

Very Disturbing Episode

Avidfan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
As I had anticipated after two days of relief, they are back with poison spilling MIL and the dark ages. 

I was really disturbed to see that the producers have shown Sandhya being so insulted for being invited by her college to receive her medal in person and for bringing such honour to her city. This is vile and horrible. It made no sense whatsoever in showing Bhabho being deliberately cruel in this way. 

Even the most evil, twisted, demented and stupid person would not begrudge such honour. 

They could have easily shown her challenging Sandhya to impress the family as well. 

In a country where people are working so hard at the grass root levels to promote education for young girls and encouraging them that education brings honour, pride and wealth, shows like this send a very wrong message. They undo a lot of the hard work. 

To promote outdated customs, to glorify cruelty, illiteracy, to promote domination and emasculation of women in the name of customs, family and tradition is not only against the law (under our constitution)  but against all moral values and religious teachings.  

Under the Indian constitution women have the fundamental right to receive education. I htink up to high school level. 

I thought purdah was banned more than 100 years ago!! And please do not say that it is prevalent in Rajasthan- it is not. It is a sign of regression,  not honour and tradition. 

Even in terms of story this is becoming repetitive and so boring. They could either change the story line (which they will not do) or they have to show Bhabho becoming more cruel and villainous. And if that was not enough they have to bring in more  and new regressive and aggressive negative characters. 

And going by a lot of comments on the forum apparently Indian aunties like to watch nastiness on TV. So they will show more. But I cannot believe they do- perhaps they have no choice!

I am no longer going to watch this show unless they change the story. Even my mother, due to whom I started watching, said that this was backward and unbearable. 

I can only presume that the next few weeks is going to be even more regressive. So perhaps I will try and read here and hopefully lose all interest.

My fervent hope is that they will show that the Maasa loves Sandhya and Bhabho is blown off the water.But that would be too good to be true. There is going to be meanness and more meanness. As if there was not enough misery already in the world. 

I had thought that sports and entertainment  that involved torturing  and cruelty towards women, children and animals was banned in India- but looks like it thrives on Indian TV. 

Perhaps the broadcasting authorities should look into this. 

Poor Sooraj- back to the background. 

Edited by Avidfan - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

klloyd thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Avidfan

I had thought that sports and entertainment  that involved torturing  and cruelty towards women, children and animals was banned in India- but looks like it thrives on Indian TV. 

Perhaps the broadcasting authorities should look into this. 

Completely agree!
daylily121 thumbnail
Agree with every line! As I have always been saying, to me Bhabho seems normal for the kind of life she has lead so far. She is like the frog in a well who knows no other life. It's Sandhya who is disgusting me each day when I read the update. She is a disgrace! 

The writers have made her character so unconvincingly shameless! She has no self-respect. She is determined to place every female to shame with her fatal attraction towards Bhabho! 

It is true that there are some extremely undeveloped villages in India where some of the stupidity shown in these serials happen but showing it on TV in a glorifying way only adds to the number of these incidences. 

The women in India have no choice like you said. Gone were the days when they used to sit outside talking to neighboring women while the kids played and until the husband got home. 

I was very surprised when I visited India in 2008. What a change!! Everyone was discussing about some nasty MIL or a suffering DIL of some idiotic show! They even curse like we do, saying the story goes no where and one simple point is conveyed after stretching for weeks together. 

Somehow I found everyone, be it my sweetest mom or my wonderful MIL or my friend's meanest MIL is sympathizing with the sufferer aka DIL. 

The reason for me to watch these shows is, from 8pm on kids go to bed and I do my chores while the Star TV is on with continuous crap. I don't have to worry about missing any dialogues like when watching an English show or think of what channel to switch to every 30mins. But since Bhabho and Sandhya's extraterrestrial drrrama started and similar irrational situations with other shows too,  I got myself hooked on to some great sitcoms on NBC & CBS or watching the reruns on TBS. What a relief!! I no more find my BP going higher. :))

adititrocks thumbnail
i agree wid u al . but al dis type of cruelty s gng in our india in sme places . there r many articles n news regardng al dis in newspapers n tv. wat d show s showng s d reality. these actors r just actng , not getng scolded in real. our lead s der to stop al dis type of nonsense things in ur country through her serial. she'l definetly change bhabo's mind. al d best sandhya i knw ul prove ur self best. luv u anas deepika. i hope u al got wat i want 2 say . creatve team s tryng to stop dis from our country by awarng us through dere show. but i 2 want everythgng 2 b alryt soon in sandhya's lyf. want 2 see more of romantic scenes b/w suraj n sandhya. dng a nyc job DABH. JUST SHOW MORE OF SURYA CHEMISTRY PLZ n let d reality 2 b out soon plz...Edited by adititrocks - 12 years ago
Chasmis_31 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
I also agree with you guys!...I mean cant she do something for hershelf, for what she love. And receiving honour is a great thing...Bhabo should have been a little proud to see her DIL earning respect for hershelf and for her family by her education!

NIDHI
urcrazy thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
arggg Bhabho's so cruel!! :-(
nanda_gopa thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Well said Avidfan. The show has become a farce. Like you, I too feel that the only thing that can redeem this show is if Maasa loves Sandhya. 

But the story as shown now is not even remotely plausible. Each of Suraj's siblings are completely selfish. There is no love lost here! And Bhabho is amazingly strange--do such characters exist. I have not seen anything like this or heard anything like this! 
Avidfan thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: adititrocks

i agree wid u al . but al dis type of cruelty s gng in our india in sme places . there r many articles n news regardng al dis in newspapers n tv. wat d show s showng s d reality. these actors r just actng , not getng scolded in real. our lead s der to stop al dis type of nonsense things in ur country through her serial. she'l definetly change bhabo's mind. al d best sandhya i knw ul prove ur self best. luv u anas deepika. i hope u al got wat i want 2 say . creatve team s tryng to stop dis from our country by awarng us through dere show. but i 2 want everythgng 2 b alryt soon in sandhya's lyf. want 2 see more of romantic scenes b/w suraj n sandhya. dng a nyc job DABH. JUST SHOW MORE OF SURYA CHEMISTRY PLZ n let d reality 2 b out soon plz...

We all know that all sorts of bad things happen in society but they are not shown or highlighted as entertainment. Women/children are beaten, burnt and abused- but they do not show these as entertainment and certainly not in a positive way. It is considered to be offensive and perhaps illegal. The censors do not allow this. 
In films you see bad things but within 2 hours you get to see the positive side and everything ends happily- all within 2 hours. This torture is going on since at least 15 December! 

I agree show more Surya Chemistry and entertain us-not torture the viewers too. We pay good money for Star Plus!
Edited by Avidfan - 12 years ago
tanind thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Avidfan

As I had anticipated after two days of relief, they are back with poison spilling MIL and the dark ages. 

I was really disturbed to see that the producers have shown Sandhya being so insulted for being invited by her college to receive her medal in person and for bringing such honour to her city. This is vile and horrible. It made no sense whatsoever in showing Bhabho being deliberately cruel in this way. 

Even the most evil, twisted, demented and stupid person would not begrudge such honour. 

They could have easily shown her challenging Sandhya to impress the family as well. 

I just want to share my  thoughts.I watched a documentary about Bollywood and that's what I had learned. Each film must have  traditional nine states: feelings of surprise, disgust, anger, peace, suffering, loves,  beauty, etc. Please note that you should definitely at least once to feel disgust. One wonder, is it? And all these feelings are more, very more stronger,  than in European culture. You can imagine what a representation will be. We can not always swallow a dish of Indian cuisine, because it is too much pepper and spices. So not every movie we can watch. For example India's anger, I just can not watch.

And Bhabhoo exists as pepper in Indian cuisine. I understand that this peppers, I can not eat and sometimes I do not listen what and how she says. She is  necessary to increase the suffering of Suraj and Sandy. Then the audience will cry with joy, that all ended well. And these tears will be sincere. Contrast the state creates a special sense, which in European culture you will never experience. Therefore, those who understand spirit of Indian cinema have self-censorship (cold water, which you take after  Indian food). This I take to heart closely, and it is not. The filmmakers want  to make your feelings come down to the last point of boiling. Did not  you think  about it?

P.S.

I think Indian aunties do not like to watch nastiness on TV.  They want  to sense and  to go through all nine states. 

Edited by tanind - 12 years ago
Avidfan thumbnail
Tanind

Loved your post. It is a great comparison- MILs in Indian shows like chilly pepper. I agree it is needed to enhance /increase the flavour!

But you will agree that if the pepper takes over the main dish- it cannot be eaten. And if you are given too much spicy food daily- you end up getting a bad stomach!

I think DABH is like too much spice- not much of main dish (dishy Sooraj) and for a long time- my poor stomach...