Posted: 08 February 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged
Ulcerative colitis is chronic disease of colon and rectum. There is inflammation of lining of colon and rectum with areas of ulcers called sores. Chronic diarrhea with mucus and blood and abdominal cramps are characteristics of ulcerative colitis.
Ulcerative colitis is intermittent type of disorder. It has alternate stages of relapse and lessening. Homeopathy can be beneficial in such disorder. It cutback the disease progression and reduces the intensity of symptoms and frequency.Causes
The cause of ulcerative colitis is unknown but, the body's immune system is believed to react abnormally to the bacteria in the digestive tract.
Ulcerative colitis is not caused by emotional distress or sensitivity to certain foods or food products, but these factors may trigger symptoms in people.
The stress of living with ulcerative colitis may also contribute to a worsening of symptoms.
Inflammation in the colon causes diarrhea
If the entire colon is affected it is called Pan Colitis.
If only the left side of the colon is affected it is called limited or distal colitis.
The most common symptoms of ulcerative colitis are abdominal pain and bloody diarrhea. Patients also experience
Loss of appetite
Loss of body fluids and nutrients
Symptoms of malnutrition.-anemia, weight loss
Growth failure (specifically in children)
About half of the people diagnosed with ulcerative colitis have mild symptoms. Others suffer from
Nausea and severe abdominal cramps
Ulcerative colitis may also cause problems such as arthritis
Inflammation of the eye, liver disease, and osteoporosis Investigations
ANA (anti nuclear antibody test)
Barium meal x-ray
Colonoscopy/sigmidoscopy:colon get visualized it is most confirmatory test
If required biopsy of colon tissue in which tissue of colon is examined under microscope. Do's & Don'ts
Avoid spicy food
Avoid milk product if having lactose tolerance
Diet control depending upon stage of disease
Plenty of liquids to combat dehydration Diagnosis
Ulcerative colitis is diagnosed by endoscopy. Other investigation should be done to rule out other disease and get the general state of the patient. Role of Homeopathy in Ulcerative Colitis
- Homeopathy is beneficial in treating many diseases, both acute and chronic due to which it is gaining immense popularity, in today's world.
- Factors that contribute to the development of ulcerative colitis are genetic predisposition (inborn tendency towards disease), faulty diet and altered immunity
- In early stages of ulcerative colitis, complete treatment can be done with Homeopathy. In advanced cases, the frequency of motion, urging, the mucus and blood in stool and abdominal pain can be reduced.
- Homeopathy gives holistic treatment in most of the diseases including ulcerative colitis. It prevents relapse of ulcerative colitis. Homeopathy reduces the pace of progression of the disease.
- The Homeopath enquires about the constitution of the patient, i.e. his mental, emotional and physical make-up. Constitutional medicines are prescribed in Homeopathy to treat the disease and to prevent complications.
- These medicines will alter the predisposition by acting on immunity. In the process, the disease gets cured and the patient feels better. While on Homeopathy patient starts feeling better with other attributes of their personality.
- Homeopathy helps the body to regain the lost balance when the body is in a diseased state. When the right homeopathic medicine is administered it stimulates the body and produces an action, known as the 'primary action'. In return, the body takes care of the disease, producing a 'secondary action'.
- Regular treatment ensures relief within days. Homeopathic treatment should be followed by a balanced diet.
- Homeopathy treats the person in totality; this enables a long-lasting cure and not merely suppression of disease symptoms. Homeopathy can also minimize the need for surgery if given at the right time.
- Homeopathic medicines are completely safe, gentle and effective and can be taken by children and adults. They are not habit-forming and are side-effect free. They should be taken after consultation from a Homeopathic practitioner.
Understanding Your Health
Contact US: 91 22 41227500
91 22 41227501