rajasthani or marwadi words?

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 17 years ago

hello everyone,

i'm sorry if someone has already asked and if this is a repeat. i tried to do a search of IF for the topic and also to google the internet for rajasthani language but couldn't find anything.

basically, what are some of the non-hindi words they use in saat phere, especially the greeting they use when they go to each other's houses? could someone share the words and meanings and identify the dialect, please?

thanks!

Yes indeed they are marwari words Khamma ghani is like saying namaste with added respect. In Rajasthan, elders or relatives are greeted like this. Edited by taurusms - 17 years ago
Is it khamma khaini or ghani?
if you've watched the movie 'Paheli',even there they use khamma ghani to greet .it comes from Rajasthan .and also, they use Sa at the end .. bhaia, jamaisa ,buasa etc but not papasa or mumysa Edited by cleo1 - 17 years ago
thanks for all of the responses! i appreciate the time you took to respond to my request.

i really enjoy languages, and this is something completely new to me. i haven't seen the movie paheli yet, but now i guess i'll have to just to hear the dialects. 😊

p.s. could someone please share the exact translation of "khamma ghani"? i can usually figure out the derivatives/roots of a lot of words, but this sounds completely new to me.

thanks again!

Originally posted by gckasturi

thanks for all of the responses! i appreciate the time you took to respond to my request.

i really enjoy languages, and this is something completely new to me. i haven't seen the movie paheli yet, but now i guess i'll have to just to hear the dialects. 😊

p.s. could someone please share the exact translation of "khamma ghani"? i can usually figure out the derivatives/roots of a lot of words, but this sounds completely new to me.

thanks again!

the exact translation is "bahut meherbaani". "ghani" means "bahut". while addressing people, 'sa' is added at the end to mean 'ji'. e.g - kaki sa means kaki ji.

hope this helps

actually, they have made one mistake here. in Rajasthan, 'didi' is usually not used. 'jiji' is used for elder sister.

Originally posted by neel_jay

actually, they have made one mistake here. in Rajasthan, 'didi' is usually not used. 'jiji' is used for elder sister.

I agree.I have rajasthani friends.Heard them using "jiji" for didi.