Mili27 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
After watching yesterday's episode it has become quite clear that OCPD is not the only ailment Viraj is suffering. He is also suffering from a condition called megalomania. All his words yesterday were a part of full blown symptoms. Dr Rana has a handful of tasks waiting for her.

Awww..poor Viraj. Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong for him.

The word megalomania is derived from the Greek words "'e?a??": megalo-, meaning large or great, and "'a??a": mania, meaning madness, frenzy. The first attested use of the word "megalomania" in English is in 1890 as a translation of the French word "mgalomanie".

[edit]Proposed distinction from narcissism: Bertrand Russell

A quotation by Bertrand Russell gives his interpretation of megalomania: "The megalomaniac differs from the narcissist by the fact that he wishes to be powerful rather than charming, and seeks to be feared rather than loved. To this type belong many lunatics and most of the great men of history."[5]

[edit]Early Freudianism

Russell's near-contemporary, Sigmund Freud, freely used the same term in a comparable way. Referring with respect to an adult neurotic to 'the omnipotence which he ascribed to his thoughts and feelings', Freud reckoned that 'this belief is a frank acknowledgement of a relic of the old megalomania of infancy'.[6] Similarly Freud concluded that 'we can detect an element of megalomania in most other forms of paranoic disorder. We are justified in assuming that this megalomania is essentially of an infantile nature and that, as development proceeds, it is sacrificed to social considerations'.[7]

Edmund Bergler, one of his early followers, considered that 'as Freud and Ferenczi have shown, the child lives in a sort of megalomania for a long period; he knows only one yardstick, and that is his own over-inflated ego...Megalomania, it must be understood, is normal in the very young child'.[8] Bergler was of the opinion that in later life 'the activity of gambling in itself unconsciously activates the megalomania and grandiosity of childhood, reverting to the "fiction of omnipotence".[9]

Otto Fenichel states that, for those who react in later life to narcissistic hurt with denial, ' a regression to narcissism is also a regression to the primary narcissistic omnipotence which makes its reappearance in the form of megalomania'.[10]

[edit]Object relations

Where Freud saw megalomania as an obstacle to psychoanalysis, in the second half of the 20th century object relations theory, both in the States and among BritishKleinians, set about 'rethinking megalomania... intent on transforming an obstacle... into a complex organization that linked object relations and defence mechanisms' in such a way as to offer new 'prospects for therapy'.[11]

Heinz Kohut regarded 'the narcissistic patient's "megalomania"...as part of normal development. By contrast, Kernberg viewed the grandiose self" " as pathological, as an instance of development gone awry',[12] as Herbert Rosenfeld and John Steiner. Thus 'when it came to megalomania - Freud's term - or the grandiose self - Kohut and Kernberg's term - or the omnipotent self - Rosenfeld's term - there was disagreement...Developmental arrest or pathological formation?'[13]

[edit]Everyday

Arguably, however, 'in addition to its pathological forms, megalomania is a mental behavior that can be used by any individual as a way of coping with distress linked to frustration, abandonment, loss, or disappearance of the object'[14] in everyday life. In this sense, we may see 'megalomania as an extreme form of manic defense...against the anxiety resulting from separation from the object'.[15]

In the social world, 'megalomania...can be a characteristic of power-drunk or control-freak dictators, some executives, some politicians and some army generals'.[16] All such figures may be said to have 'a "Big Ego". A baby's ego, in fact, insufficiently shrunk...So they're much more likely to miscalculate. To offend people'.[17]

[edit]Therapy

Unfortunately, 'a person with megalomania may not be interested in self-reflection or personal change',[18] so the talking cures may be less effective than medication.

An additional complication with analysis is comprised by the transference: 'if the analyst has any tendencies toward megalomania or authoritarianism, the response of the patient to the analyst will strengthen them'.[19]

Nevertheless, the megalomaniac might do well to 'remember, shrink is short for head-shrinker, isn't it?...And as our swollen heads get smaller...as people we grow'.[20]

[edit]Alexander the Great

Main article: Alexander the Great#Megalomania
During his final years, and especially after the death of Hephaestion, Alexander the Great began to exhibit signs of megalomania and paranoia.[21] His extraordinary achievements, coupled with his own ineffable sense of destiny and the flattery of his companions, may have combined to produce this effect.[22]

Alexander the great and Viraj.😃 Please read and comment. How was my diagnosis?
Edited by sarcozee - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RoyalLEO_Krrish thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
OMFG!! That is not good news for sure! 😔
but I hope it's not that complicated for the sake of Indian tellyvision show.
 (*oh man...that baby ego thing...sonds familiar...gotaa be careful!*)

Good Analysis as always! ⭐️
Edited by Krrish87_sweet - 12 years ago
Mili27 thumbnail
[QUOTE=Krrish87_sweet]OMFG!! That is not good news for sure! 😔
but I hope it's not that complicated for the sake of Indian tellyvision show.
 (*oh man...that baby ego thing...sonds familiar...gotaa be careful!*)

Good Analysis as always! ⭐️

Thanks. It is so similar to what we know about Viraj. Did you read about how it can be caused by a sense of abandonment ? The Cvs have done a great job by bringing to life such a complicated personality.
RoyalLEO_Krrish thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
yah i did... 😃 & i did read about what it means too! 😆 kya karen ur posts have to make me go through google..

P.S. here is what i found:

and OMG..this is so right...he is always in fear of Loosing Jhanvi...omg..does that mean that he was always fearing of loosing Mr. & Mrs. Dobriyal???😭 and then after he lost them..he wanted to make sure that he don't loose Payal... ohhh poor fellow!! My heart to him..❤️ it's a serious issue...can't blv Dobriyal's didn't take care of it well...and who knows may be Vijay and his wife dropped him to orphanage!!💔 I am eager to know his past now..but i know i won't be able to see it...😭😭 it would definately hurt me...as i have soft corner for this guy.
Edited by Krrish87_sweet - 12 years ago
--Flora-- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thanx for this information..Viraj seems to have this condition too..omg it wil b so difficult to cure him frm all this conditions 😔
Mili27 thumbnail
[QUOTE=--Flora--]Thanx for this information..Viraj seems to have this condition too..omg it wil b so difficult to cure him frm all this conditions 😔

Last night as I was watching the show, this thought struck me and today in the morning I did my bit of research to confirm this. It is like reading about viraj, is n't it? Very eerie. Will a shock or a setback make him realise that he is a human after all and human beings can fail. Not everything can be decided by him, however smart he is. ! Looking forward to the ensuing story.
Mili27 thumbnail
127 views and only 3 likes.😲 What did you not like, me or Megalomania!😆
..Naina.. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
Reserveed!

*Have work to finish, so will edit it whenever I get a free chance 😆*
Edited by Naina2127 - 12 years ago
Manipadma thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail