Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Indian TV: Regressive or Modernizing? (Page 2)

~@$hm@~ IF-Sizzlerz
~@$hm@~
~@$hm@~

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 4:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by koolchick

as far as ekta kapoor goes, she's interested in only high trps LOL and the most people who watch the dailies are females, so of course they will relate to female-oriented shows Smile

I 100% agree
Kashish_sweet Goldie
Kashish_sweet
Kashish_sweet

Posted: 11 May 2006 at 5:33am | IP Logged
I agree!!!! Wink

koolchick wrote:
as far as ekta kapoor goes, she's interested in only high trps and the most people who watch the dailies are females, so of course they will relate to female-oriented shows

~@$hm@~ wrote!
I 100% agree
Miss.Netherland IF-Rockerz
Miss.Netherland
Miss.Netherland

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 2:17am | IP Logged

Originally posted by lucky_lakshmi

well..about television...majority of people who watch serials are females(no offence to femals as i myself am one).We often are told how females are easily influenced...thats a fact.People know what rubbish these people are showing in indian television serials...they critisise them...but still do watch them...why?thats the question we have to ask ourself.

as for being modernised...what exactly does "being modernized" really mean? Confused LOL

Confused Obviously...indian tv shows are regressive...what nonesense and what not they show...and we sit watching it.As for saree clad women...here is where the majority of females watching tv shows applies.

Take the bollywood films of the 70's or 80's
we wouldnt call them "modernized" right?
But they are the ones which have originality.

The industry is not growing.But we, the janta janardhan are being influenced by the west.We try to compare our Bollywood with hollywood.why do we do that?Imagine us being influenced by hollywood and we include stuff of hollywood into films of our country.This makes our films lose their originality.

In comparison with the films of today, the older films were tooo great.I am not saying that women should have a bun in their head and stuff...but definitely, instead of having some sex icons dance almost naked( Ouch ) in the films..that was better...

i am not saying we should stay behind...were the films of 80's and all "staying behind"?
i donot think so.Re,ember that our industry was started way back....v very long ago...its tougher to establish a place for the industry...not to continue working for its slory.N the films of nowadays arenot working for bollywood's GLORY...
Some films make me very shameful when people do shameless things.IF thoe are for a betterment of the film or for fun ....its ok...but mmost of them are not.

i say that if this is the meaning of modernizing...our industry is at the verge of losing its credibility...and that day is not far away.

I Agree with Lucky_rashmi

Miss.Netherland IF-Rockerz
Miss.Netherland
Miss.Netherland

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 2:18am | IP Logged
Koolchickk i agreee with you
Swapna-Mobile IF-Dazzler
Swapna-Mobile
Swapna-Mobile

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 2:26am | IP Logged
Well it is true that the Television world has changed a lot in the past 6-7 yrs..........previously there were very few Television serials on air like Hip Hip Hurray,Ek mahal ho Sapnon ka,Hum Paanch etc. etc......and this change and PARIVARTHAN was becoz of the gr8888 EKTA KAPOOR.....I shud say she is a very bold women to start a Production House frm the age of 19 itself.....she shud be respected for that since at a very small sge she has gained a lot.....but now she has to grow up.......and before......that ppl have to grow up.......how come they r watching the same serial since 6yrs.....there is not a single character in her serials who r not married more than Twice........I think she has to grow up......learn to ens her serials properly and start new soaps like JJKN was ended.......running a serial for 6yrs.......is it a joke.....and these serials are completely so pathetic........if this is going to happen then television is never going to develope at all.......and ppl shud also stop watching.....we r the one who r encoraging these serials and so she has taken an oath to never end her serials......I think a serial shud not exceed more than 50 episodes.....this shud be the cut off.....but KSBKBT it has already reached 1000 episodes......this is completly foolishness and pathetic.......
About bollywood....I think it is now not less than Hollywood......in every movie there is a "love making scene".....how cheap......there r only few movies which r worth watching......
~*puja*~ Senior Member
~*puja*~
~*puja*~

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 3:01pm | IP Logged

I tend to think optmistically and I would have to say is that the indian entertainment industry has made some steps toward being more modern. I have been a huge fan of bollywood films, starting from when I was 3 years old watching Maine Pyar Kiya the first time and falling in love with the family conflict, the love story and the songs. But now films aren't made that way, sometimes I feel embarassed to watch some of the hindi films with my parents because of the many "western" influences. I understand that moving with the times is important, but they have to understand indian culture, in that some of the "love making scenes" aren't discussed out in the open. But the good side of the industry is that they have started making more realistic films, not the fairy tale singing around a tree types. Films like Page 3, 15 Park Avenue, mostly the non-commerical films nd I think thats a more modern move.

The television industry is something that can't be compared to with the film industry. American soap operas are seen in the same light, its just for "time pass." The majority of viewers are females, and of that at least 30-40% have to be older women, mostly housewives. Unrealistic story lines make the shows run for long times like KSBKBT, it can be compared to Days of our Lives, which has been on air since the 70s... so there is no hope for television. JJKN was a step in the right direction, also ELAS... but I don't think Ekta will change, like koolchick wrote, she's only worried about TRPs and money!!!

Edited by ~*puja*~ - 12 May 2006 at 3:04pm
Signora2 Goldie
Signora2
Signora2

Posted: 12 May 2006 at 11:54pm | IP Logged
When Televsion begins to slowly take the shape of Cinema it ceases to mirror what is truly happening in our society. This is what has unfortunately happened with TV. It is a real media but seldoms reflects the aspirations of the people.
After starplus began beaming homegrown plays all in Hind,i it was expected to make inroads in the middle class houses, it did; but the quality began deteriorating.
What I have never understood is the monopoly Balalji enjoys on all the channels? The content is poor, yet they continue to grow from strength to strenght! what is amazing is that all their programmes have same story line, the formula is assembly line production if the story of one particular serial has rape being introduced, it will find echo in all other soaps as well, the artistict impulses of script writers are never allowed to play.
Even the TRPS are bit fudged, the figures of two or more agencies never convey the true picture.
There is hardly any soap that caters to young people, our aspirations our dreams. if u belive these soaps,life for us people just revolves around disks and acting haughty when this is not the case.
Indian youth is both a mix of tradition and modernism, our life still revolves around careers and friends, the pressure of achieving in a highly competitive world is all the more greater, and cerainly we look for entertainment that is inspiring and light but the choice is limited or does not exist.
Women too have changed a great deal but not the soaps, I think even the system of joint families is on the decline.
ajay_ijn Senior Member
ajay_ijn
ajay_ijn

Posted: 13 May 2006 at 8:33am | IP Logged

Originally posted by lucky_lakshmi

well..about television...majority of people who watch serials are females(no offence to femals as i myself am one).We often are told how females are easily influenced...thats a fact.People know what rubbish these people are showing in indian television serials...they critisise them...but still do watch them...why?thats the question we have to ask ourself.

as for being modernised...what exactly does "being modernized" really mean? Confused LOL

Confused Obviously...indian tv shows are regressive...what nonesense and what not they show...and we sit watching it.As for saree clad women...here is where the majority of females watching tv shows applies.

But they are the ones which have originality.

The industry is not growing.But we, the janta janardhan are being influenced by the west.We try to compare our Bollywood with hollywood.why do we do that?Imagine us being influenced by hollywood and we include stuff of hollywood into films of our country.This makes our films lose their originality.

In comparison with the films of today, the older films were tooo great.I am not saying that women should have a bun in their head and stuff...but definitely, instead of having some sex icons dance almost naked( Ouch ) in the films..that was better...

i am not saying we should stay behind...were the films of 80's and all "staying behind"?
i donot think so.Re,ember that our industry was started way back....v very long ago...its tougher to establish a place for the industry...not to continue working for its slory.N the films of nowadays arenot working for bollywood's GLORY...
Some films make me very shameful when people do shameless things.IF thoe are for a betterment of the film or for fun ....its ok...but mmost of them are not.

i say that if this is the meaning of modernizing...our industry is at the verge of losing its credibility...and that day is not far away.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
women oriented TV Shows, Women Dominate Viewership, Women dominate in roles as well.
but Surprising thing is
From last 9 years or so it is same.
It is not changing.
ofcourse Starone has changed the Image Somewhat.
but we need some thing more to completely change the Industry.

First of all frankly ektas empire is near to collapse.
At this 21st Century of Science n technology where new things come every day every hour.
Things are not gonna be same in future too.
The housewives n Senior Citizens should change their Tastes.
And realize That Family oriented shows are not everything in this world.

no actually.
Comparsion doesnt result in Copying movies always.
We tend to copy if there nothing more exciting we have.
We See Many Historial Movies in Hollywood, Troy Alexander many many of them.
BUT Why So less Historial Movies in India based on True Stories And Kings.
But again risk is, what if they fail.
Indeed Hindi Film Industry has Modernized a lot a lot.
Attempts have been made to make variety of movies even though they have flopped.

But we can see the positive side too.
Like there have been many experiments made with movies.
Some have hit, big hits, Some flopped.
we must be happy atleast that directors n producers are tryin new things to attract viewers.

B-grades are just gonna continue.

But they are the ones which have originality. [quote]
Indeed They are modernized, I mean if they have drastic changes at 70s then i would surely call them mordenized.
But not compared to todays age.
Originality????
I dunno how much originality matters here, but Some movies Even though copied have been made look.
Some movies in India are remaked in Different Languages.
they are Some Mega Hits in Industry which have been remaked version, But still original Movie is Flop.
So does orginailty really matters to the depth.
Even if we copy then take the concept and make the movie well, Movie is surely going to HIT.

[quote]In comparison with the films of today, the older films were tooo great.I am not saying that women should have a bun in their head and stuff...but definitely, instead of having some sex icons dance almost naked( Ouch ) in the films..that was better...

In what way they are toooo great.
wait actually
u dun see this naked dances etc in every movie
Do u?
i haven't seen in Lagaan.
ofcourse many movies have them.
So didn't the older movies had.
During Big B time didn't we had.
Movies Based on Underworld ??
For Old Movies, At that Time,This woman Exposing their body was there, But its less compared to now, But if we watch at That time exactly we will surely feel that naked thing is high.

Bollywood is indeed changing a lot, staring new things,
Even Now Mahabharat is being made.
we should feel proud about, the largest prject in the industry.
Indeed we are trying to match the creativity and production levels of Hollywood.
But TV industry remained same from last 9 years i guess.

Edited by ajay_ijn - 13 May 2006 at 8:34am

Go to top