Interview with Nandini Singh (Kesar)

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 18 years ago
Nandini Singh the latest newcomer in the film industry is doing a crossover from the music video world. More famous for her skirt flying scene in Aryans' Dekha Hai Teri Ankhon Ko, Nandini feels she will make a mark in films as well. Though a fragile beauty, Nandini is calm till she starts to speak. A chatter box and compulsive giggler, her confidence shines in her eyes. Nandini goes on board the journey to fame with Mukta Arts' comic caper Ek Aur Ek Gyarah. And she is sure she will come out a winner.

By Kavita Awasthi

How did you bag this Subhash Ghai production?
Well, I was an airhostess with Jet Airways. I loved my career but when through a common friend I got an opportunity to audition for a music video, I was too tempted. I landed in the Aryans video Dekha Hai Teri Ankhon Ko. After that I would do music videos whenever I got the time. I got a lot of offers but I didn't have much time. Soon I had shot for Jagjit Singh's music video Tum Hamare Nahin for T Series. Then T Series gave me a film based music album Kuch Dil Ne Kaha. So now I was on air for almost three consecutive months that's when I got a call from Mr David Dhawan and Mr Subhash Ghai for Ek Aur Ek Gyarah. They met me and called me later for a screen test. Next thing I knew that I was selected. It was wonderful. I felt it was a god send opportunity as I loved being in front of the camera and this would be an extension of my career from music videos to films. I couldn't have asked for more.

You could have. Wouldn't it have been better if you worked under Subhash Ghai's direction not just his production?
Well. I thought this wasn't a small chance. It was big time. I am fortunate to be associated with Mukta Arts and all said and done I will be called his discovery. Ok being in his direction would have been better but I am not one of those people who think of what could be and let what you have rot away. I am glad to be part of this film. I have a good role in the film. It ahs given me a chance to perform and showcase my abilities. My role is of a bubbly charming girl keeps falling into trouble and makes a fool of herself. Yet she doesn't lose heart and bounces back.

How was the experience of working with actors like Govinda and Sanjay Dutt?
It was absolutely fabulous. Govindaji is a wonderful person and a good human being. Moreover he is an all round actor too. I learnt a lot from him merely by watching him do his scenes. His comedy timing is perfect. I have tried to give my best. He made me very comfortable on the sets. He even rehearsed with me to ease me into the process. I was looking forward to working with an actor of his caliber. I am glad that I could hold my own in front of him Sanjay Dutt too was sweet. He believes in doing his work and minding his own business. Both of them also take care to put their co actors at ease. They have no airs of being super stars. I felt calm and composed and not rushed at all. It was sweet on their part. It was like being at home so it added a lot to my performance. I attribute my work to these people.

Were you ever apprehensive about David Dhawan's comedy better known for it's double entendre?
No. There was no reason for me to be anxious at all. They made very clear from the on start what the role was, what was needed from me and what kind of scenes were required for the project. Moreover in films whatever character you play is for the film. Mr David Dhawan has made sure that I suit the role and do scenes accordingly. The matter of being uncomfortable didn't come up. I have given my best in the movie. It's my first movie so I will leave it in the hands of the people.

So did you always want to be an actress?
I was interested in plays, dramas, dances, debates, elocution competition, dramatics, etc. it's like every child's dream I guess but I never thought of it as a career. After my lucky break in Jet Airways, I think acting was my destiny so here I am.

Your skirt flying scene in Aryans' Dekha Hai Teri Ankhon Ko made you quite famous. How did that come about?
[Laughs] Well it was not a thought out scene as such. While filming my entry the skirt flew so it was a spur-of-the-moment take on the sets. It didn't look vulgar or cheap. The most conservative channel Doordarshan too accepted it. so it was no big deal. I was actually surprised when people called and told me about it as I had no clue about the scene till the video went on air. Later I spoke to the director and the music company and cleared things out. I was cool with it. I felt it was gracefully done
Posted: 18 years ago
Thanks London Girl for sharing :)