Book Talk

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Page 9)

Post Reply New Post

Page 9 of 9

Page 1 Page 8
Page   of 9

Tani91

IF-Sizzlerz

Tani91

Posted: 26 March 2012 at 6:08pm | IP Logged
I totally agree...I like that there is ultimately bigger themes in the series other than a love story. Katniss' conflict with the Capitol is wonderfully laid out (I havent read that far into catching fire yet) but from what I have seen, I love the interactions she has with President Snow rofl...I completely hate President Snow

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

shellytt

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Page 9)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 27 March 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by shellytt

I know I'm late to this conversation but I just finished all three books and I'm still spilling from excitement. I had forgone watching the movie, until i read all three books, so this coming weekend, I'll see it.

As for the books!!! I loved it!!! I resisted reading the books for a while now, because I thought it was going to be an over hyped sensation like Twilight, but I'm so glad it proved me wrong. The Hunger Games have now become my second most loved series, second only to Harry Potter (and that is some high praise)

I became so invested in these characters that I must admit, i cried more than once throughout the series. (RueCry)

There is so much to say about these books, but in the interest of time (and the fact that I should get back to work) I just want to say, I loved the ending sooo much!!!

"Real or not Real??... Real" Gosh that made me melt!! Aside from the Love Story (and I figured out, who she would have choosen by the second book, even though she wasn't quite sure until the last page LOL), the book had some serious themes about freedom and resistance, loyalty and friendship, which is part of the reason I loved it. It was more than about the central charaters. It had a message!!!

And now to close off, as much as I don't like Twilight, I must resort to some of the fangirl fanatics and say empthatically "GO TEAM PEETA!!!!"

I agree with every single thing you mentioned. I didn't read the trilogy for a long time because I just couldn't digest the concept. I don't have much stomach for violence, so when I got the basic synopsis, I thought that's so not my kinda book.  Then I kept hearing just great things about it so thought okay, it's worth a try. I can't dismiss it without reading. And well, the rest, as they say, is history.

I couldn't stop reading.. I think I finished the trilogy over the weekend (and paid for it the next couple weeks because I didn't do anything I was supposed to get done over the weekend LOL)

The best thing about this was that even though the love story was an important part of the story, it was much more than that.  It was about freedom, loyalty, humanity, friendship, trust, beliefs.  That made it so much more valuable for me. And yes, it stands to be one of my favorite series too. 

SPOILER ALERT! 

I loved Peeta since the first page he was introduced. I just never saw Gale and Katniss together.. I mean I like Gale, but I always saw him as a good friend of Katniss. But that's it. So there aren't any teams for me. It was always Katniss and Peeta.. they were always meant to be. I mean in 73 years, there was only 1 victor. This year both Peeta and Katniss survived. They won against all odds.. and not just once but many times. When Peeta was rescued from the Capitol, he was hijacked and badly. But still, they grew back together. If there's anything so strong that can overcome anything, anything at all, it's true love.

Many things in the third book just totally melted my heart..

"Stay with me." "Always."
"I must've loved you a lot."
"You're still trying to protect me. Real or not real?" "Real.. because that's what you and I do. We protect each other."
"You love me. Real or not real?" "Real." 

Even though I admire Katniss for her bravery and loyalty for her family, I think she can be pretty manipulative, selfish, and cold at times.. I didn't like that about her.. but many times in the third book, my heart went out to her.

Especially when she figures out that Snow is using Peeta to break her, and she falls apart... looks for Haymitch only to comfort her because he's the only one besides her who loves Peeta.  One of the very few times I actually cried for her.

And back to The Hunger Games, Rue's death scene always makes me fall apart.. it did even in the movie.. I was crying Cry

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 27 March 2012 at 11:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Tani91

I totally agree...I like that there is ultimately bigger themes in the series other than a love story. Katniss' conflict with the Capitol is wonderfully laid out (I havent read that far into catching fire yet) but from what I have seen, I love the interactions she has with President Snow rofl...I completely hate President Snow

Oh, you have no idea how much I hate Snow. He's just Ouch Urghgh but I hate Coin too.. maybe even more. 

Catching Fire is interesting.. because it's the time when Katniss is most confused about her real feelings.. so it always keeps you on the edge trying to figure out what's really going on in her mind even though it's first person narrative. It also has the most shocking end. I just couldn't stop and went on to the third one. Luckily I had bought the entire trilogy together. I'm so tempted to go back and read it again, even though I just can't do that for the next 5 weeks or I won't graduate. 

shellytt

shellytt

Posted: 28 March 2012 at 4:55pm | IP Logged
The concept didn't really appeal to me much either, the "post-apocalyptic world" and futuristic setting really threw me off in the descriptions. I eventually decided to read the book, actually, because the movie trailer looked interesting and I always like to read a book before seeing the movie. (In retrospect, this is exactly what happened with the HP Series for me as well). 

It took me about a week to read, and only that long because, i couldn't read much after work, but i would have figured I would have finished in a weekend as well if I had half a chance. 

I became so obsessed, that I've recommended this book to so many people. I described myself as a Hunger Games addict. 

Spoiler Alert

@ Mystery - I don't normally buy into the ideas of "teams" either, as I personally thought that the romantic chemistry was pretty non-existent between Gale and Katniss, but Peeta was my favourite character throughout the book, and the only way I could emphasize how much I loved him was the "team" reference. It was a clear choice, who Katniss should have chosen in two key scenes really the cave scene in Book 1 and the Beach scene in Book 2, and well her reactions throughout Book 3 was a clear giveaway too, so as you said, there never was any real doubt or choice. 

I agree with you about Katnis, she did at times seemed to be a little bit selfish,  but then we're comparing her with someone like Peeta, who was clearly motivated by a different need than her, which made him appear more selfless. 

She was fighting for her survival because she has felt throughout life that the only person she could depend on was herself, and Peeta was acting out of love and therefore self sacrifice was his natural instinct. It was hard for her to accept that someone would willingly give their life for her. 

I think she only felt that sense of love and security from her father. Even the discussion between Gale and Peeta where Gale said she'd choose the person she couldn't survive without at least showed that the two of them understood that her instinct has always been survival and I think (and this is really conjecture on my part here), for her survival equates with love. She would have moved on if something happened to Gale but be devastated if the same happened to Peeta.

I would describe her, more as guarded, distrustful, naive and innocent to an extent. (I know that innocent isn't the adjective that would come to mind initially, but think about it, she really was a bit innocent.)  

On a random and trivial note - the thing that really bothered me, is that it appears that at the end Mockingjay, she seemed to have lost the pearl, (no mention was made of it after she woke up after the "Prim incident",) which was kind of sad (I know it is such a random thing to get stuck on but that pearl was a symbol LOL, and I felt a little cheated that she couldn't keep something that was given with such love). 

@Tani91 - Snow, really was a master manipulator with a devious way, but believe me Mockingjay reveals a new "villian" who whilst not as overtly evil as Snow , is anything but like-able. 

Gosh, I must say that I love IF... I can be such a happy nerd hereGeek, discussing books that I adore!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-Mystery-Tani91

VarunKiBiwi

IF-Sizzlerz

VarunKiBiwi

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 11:45pm | IP Logged
Also a Hunger Games fan!!! 

spiritcrimson

IF-Sizzlerz

spiritcrimson

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 13 April 2012 at 6:02am | IP Logged
don't you guys think we should've had a Hunger Games forum here? So we could discuss and share Graphics/sigs/gifs and all that?

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 23 April 2012 at 8:59pm | IP Logged
^ I do love that idea. We have HP and Twilight forums. Why not Hunger Games. It is the next big phenomenon. 

-Niha-

IF-Sizzlerz

-Niha-

Posted: 24 April 2012 at 12:00am | IP Logged
I have to say I'm a very big fan of the hunger games (:

I read the first book, and I loved it. I rly want Peeta to  be with Katniss at the end. 

and Rue's death was rly sad. Probably the best bit whilst she was in the arena, except for the cave scenes LOL

i kind of skipped book 2 and went onto 3 because i was able to get my hands on 3. So at the moment reading that though. Now i kinda regretting skipping 2, but oh well they're rly popular at the moment and i was lucky enough to find book 3 :D

I can't wait to read the whole book (:

Post Reply New Post

Go to top