Book Talk

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Page 8)

Post Reply New Post

Page 8 of 9

Page 1 Page 7
Page   of 9
Page 9 Page 9

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 14 March 2012 at 7:42pm | IP Logged
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!! 

Great, I sound like a hormone crazy teenager.. Oh What the hell. OMG!!!!! That is one of the scenes I was dying to watch!!

"Because she came here with me"

Watch Peeta (Josh's) face close.. there were a million expressions that crossed his face in those 58 seconds.. Josh Hutcherson is perfect for this role, he's a perfect Peeta. So now I'm even more excited than before, even that's possible at all. Can't waittt!! 

9 days to go!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Page 8)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Tani91

IF-Sizzlerz

Tani91

Posted: 20 March 2012 at 9:15pm | IP Logged
two more daysDancing

Tani91

IF-Sizzlerz

Tani91

Posted: 23 March 2012 at 6:36pm | IP Logged
just came back from seeing it...SO many thoughts running through my head right now

first off JENNIFER LAWRENCE I LOVE YOU...OMG just when I thought I couldnt love this girl any more...I tell you once you see the movie you really cannot imagine anyone else playing Katniss...Jennifer is so amazing as Katniss, she barely has dialogues in the movie but her expressions are the key and exciting part of the performance

Josh was amazing as well...I was apprehensive about him but he is the perfect Peeta as well and also Elizabeth Banks and Stanley Tucci and Woody Harelson were great too

I loved the movie because it stayed true to the book (because Collins herself wrote it) but like some of the killings I felt like they got through them really fast (and I know they couldn't show the actual killings due to the PG13 rating but still...I got disappointed with the killings)

Rue'd death saddened me (as it did in the book) but damn it I wish they had shown more of her and Katniss...for the non readers watching the movie it was as if Rue was nothing.

They didnt even explain the muttations which sort of irked me but that was ok. I did love how they had Stanley Tucci narrate what was going on. I was like disappointed with the cave scenes...I expected SO much more because they had so much more intereactions but Jennifer and Josh had great chemistry which made it ok

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Mystery-

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 23 March 2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged
I watched it this afternoon and I can say overall I agree with you Tani, it was a well made movie. They stayed true to the gist of the book - the loyalty, the revolution, the struggle, the spark. I also liked how they kind of kept giving us sneak peeks of the second movie. President Snow and Seneca Crane's "hope" and "underdog" scenes.

Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson were FLAWLESS. I'm in love with both of them. There couldn't be another Katniss and Peeta. They nailed their characters, totally loved them throughout.

Woody Harrelson was AMAZING as Haymitch. I mean, my God, this guy was hilarious!!! I totally loved his scenes and dialogues. In the beginning you could see the uncaring almost insensitive and detached Haymitch but then you could see how much he had begun to love Katniss and Peeta over time. Also his lines about making others like you and arrogance can kill you were pretty good. And "You keep the knife, the boy knows what he's doing" and "Peeta, you go, I'm trying to deliver you two in one piece tomorrow" were funny. Also the scene before the scores were revealed, hahaha Haymitch was hilarious.  Also when he sends soup with the note "You call that a kiss?" LOL

Elizabeth Banks as Effie and Stanley Tucci as Caesar were brilliant. "That's mahogany" hahahaha Elizabeth is awesome! 

Now what I didn't like:

Hatmich's "Here's the advice: Stay alive" & Peeta knocking off Haymitch's drink part was left out. Yeah they showed a little bit of it but it was more in the book. And then Haymitch saying 'wow this time we actually have fighters' or something lie that.  That was critical to show that unlike previous District 12 tributes, these two didn't accept their death sentence. They would do anything to survive.

They totally undermined Rue. HOW could they? She is such an essential part of the story. I wish they had given the two of them some more time together.. even the conversation about how their district is the agriculture district but they still don't get enough. They should've shown their bond developing, how she came to adore her just like her own sis Prim.

They totally underplayed the scene where Katniss finds Peeta. Beginning with "You here to finish me off sweetheart?" and then the whole thing about Katniss not knowing what to do with his wounds and then him saying "Remember we're madly in love so feel free to kiss me anytime" THAT was Peeta, finding humor in even the most intense situations. 

And the whole cave scenes was a total disappointment :( I was expecting so much more. THAT was the part where Katniss and Peeta actually start bonding.. first it was all an act for Katniss but then how it changes to her actually loving him. 

Also the whole part where Peeta just won't let her go and she has to make him drink the sleep syrup to go. That was essential. It showed how much Peeta actually loved her. He won't let her go in there, he'd follow her and die instead. Also Katniss was supposed to return injured and that's when Peeta takes care of her. They BOTH saved each other's lives. 

The climax could have been a LOT better. They never explained the muttations clearly. Katniss also shoots an arrow at Cato right away.  First, in the book the gamekeepers letting the muttations torture Cato showed how pathetic the capital is.  And then when Katniss finally shoots an arrow that was because of pity not revenge.. that was never made clear. 

Then when the 2 tributes could be winners rule change is revoked and  Peeta throwing away his knife while Katniss aims at him part was left out. WHY? That again showed how much Peeta truly loves her. Also then she tries handing him the bow saying you shoot me and then live with it. And him saying my life is nothing without out. That was all essential! And I'm pissed that they left that part out. And then they actually stand their backs to each other, holding each other's hands when they are about to eat the nightlock. 

When Haymitch tells Katniss about the whole defiance thing and that she needs to act liike a madly-in-love girl and then she asks if he has told Peeta that and Haymitch says 'he's already there.' Again, left out.  Also when Katniss comes on stage launches herself at Peeta, he stumbles back a little but then wraps his hands around her tightly.Caesar tries to tap his shoulder but he shoves him back. I would NEVER forget that part in the book.. they totally left it out.

And then the MOST disappointing part was not showing Katniss' struggle. Peeta has NO idea she was acting throughout.. she tells him.. and then he's heart broken. And then when he holds her hand saying "one last time  for the audience?" and she feels sad that the boy with the bread was already slipping away from her.. 

I am totally disappointed how they left out most of Katniss-Peeta's crucial parts. I was so looking forward to all those scenes.  Anyway, over all a good movie but lacking quite a  bit. I guess movies can never be as good as books.. but this one was not too bad.

Again I'd say the cast was brilliant - everyone was perfect in his/her roles. Gary Ross did a fantastic job. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

chhiltTani91

Tani91

IF-Sizzlerz

Tani91

Posted: 24 March 2012 at 9:47am | IP Logged
Totally agree Mahi

Those little nuances bothered me that they didn't show interactions. The book was written in Katniss' point of view that's why all for her struggles were known to us and I'm sure it was a challenge to get it shown in an objective view

I was just  disappointed with the cave scenes because of all the things you mentioned...there was SO much depth to their relationship and that all started in that cave. One of my fave YouTube reviewers said that he didn't really care for Katniss and Peeta in the movie because they didn't even like show him and it felt that Katniss didn't even care (and he had read all three books)

I did love however that they included the uprising and Snow-Seneca thoughts about underdogs and such ...all that being said though I am really glad to say that they stayed true to the book as much as possible and I also heard that THG almost broke all records for midnight showings surpassing Twilight ( but it didn't break HP DH part 2)

Edited by Tani91 - 24 March 2012 at 10:46pm

-Mystery-

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 24 March 2012 at 7:41pm | IP Logged
Ha! As long as it broke Twilight's records, I'm satisfied EmbarrassedLOL

That's my biggest problem with the movie. The depth of Katniss & Peeta's relationship was missing.  It constantly comes up again in the next two books.  I don't want to reveal too much about the third book since you haven't read it yet but something happens in it that's SO shockingly only because we know how deep Peeta's feelings are for Katniss, how he was even willing to give up his life for her.

They totally undermined that. I hope they'll make up for that in Catching Fire.. but I am very disappointed with the climax.

Tani91

Tani91

IF-Sizzlerz

Tani91

Posted: 24 March 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged
Gotcha...lol thanks for not ruining itEmbarrassed I'm halfway done with the second book

shellytt

shellytt

Posted: 26 March 2012 at 6:43am | IP Logged

I know I'm late to this conversation but I just finished all three books and I'm still spilling from excitement. I had forgone watching the movie, until i read all three books, so this coming weekend, I'll see it.

As for the books!!! I loved it!!! I resisted reading the books for a while now, because I thought it was going to be an over hyped sensation like Twilight, but I'm so glad it proved me wrong. The Hunger Games have now become my second most loved series, second only to Harry Potter (and that is some high praise)

I became so invested in these characters that I must admit, i cried more than once throughout the series. (RueCry)

There is so much to say about these books, but in the interest of time (and the fact that I should get back to work) I just want to say, I loved the ending sooo much!!!

"Real or not Real??... Real" Gosh that made me melt!! Aside from the Love Story (and I figured out, who she would have choosen by the second book, even though she wasn't quite sure until the last page LOL), the book had some serious themes about freedom and resistance, loyalty and friendship, which is part of the reason I loved it. It was more than about the central charaters. It had a message!!!

And now to close off, as much as I don't like Twilight, I must resort to some of the fangirl fanatics and say empthatically "GO TEAM PEETA!!!!"

Edited by shellytt - 26 March 2012 at 6:46am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-Mystery-Tani91

Post Reply New Post

Go to top