Book Talk

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 9

Page 1 Page 4
Page   of 9
Page 6 Page 9

spiritcrimson

IF-Sizzlerz

spiritcrimson

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 11 February 2012 at 9:07am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Mystery-

Originally posted by nimi697

i like Johanna too..She's too funny in Mockingjay
Peeta is nice though sometimes i feel his character is kinda weak
 like he always needs someones help

I just think his character is real. We all need someone's help at one point or the other, but that doesn't make us weak.  He's probably one of the most brave characters of the series.  It may be easy to put your life in danger for the person you love and who loves you back but it's courageous still put your life in danger for someone who doesn't return it. It's like what Katniss says at the end.. What makes Gale seem so strong and all is his fire.. kindled with hatred, rage.  Peeta's goodness, sincerity may make him seem weak but he's not.  He's that hope that things will be okay, that no matter how great the losses, one day it'll be okay.  I think Peeta is my most favorite character of the series, much more than Katniss.

Originally posted by aishwaryagayen

well i started hunger games a year back and i was like turning pages after pages to read what happens next in the first of the triology ... i always loved gale over peeta i donno why but i do i cant help it ... and after i have seen the promo with liam hemsworth as gale well i cant think of anything else hahahaha its comeing in march i guess m gonna see it

but i donno why after half of the second book i lost my esence in the series maybe i l go back and rread it but i donno the first book seemeed too perfect too tragic with the small girl dying ... i cant thik beyond that and second book didnt hold the eseence for me ...

Tragic, it is.  Even the third book is so sad and upsetting.  I bought the series a few days ago so kept on reading. The first one is definitely better than the second book, but I couldn't stop reading.  It's kinda my nature.. I've got to know what happens, how it all ends. 

As for Gale, as I mentioned above, I like him, but I love Peeta.  I felt like that in the first book and the feeling only got stronger throughout the rest of the series. 

@Italics- I ditto your thoughts completely on Peeta. People say Peeta is too good to be real, like characters like  him don't actually exist and stuff. I'd say Gale is a little unreal for me, because Gale's strong, brave, and everything. You don't find men who are brave at all points in life, because it's unreal. Peeta's love is adorable. He loved Katniss since a child, and honestly, how many of us have felt like that for someone? A childhood crush turning into love? And that too one sided? I think I relate most to that. And I don't think Peeta was weak every time. For someone so weak, he did manage to get on with the career tributes in the arena and pretend to ally with them just to protect Katniss. Which is a huge risk he took, because if he'd get caught, he'd be killed. He risked everything for a girl who didn't even know he existed until the reaping. He's a brilliantly portrayed character, and that's what makes me love him so much. Gale is okay, but Peeta Mellark is the character I love more than anyone. And I'm just Peeta/Katniss all the way :D "The dandelion in the spring" describes them completely.
Oh and I LOVE Johanna and Finnick too! And Haymitch. Effie is hilarious! :P and I even loved Cinna! 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Mystery-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Page 5)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 12 February 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged
SPOILER! 

Originally posted by _Akanksha_

THEY KILLED THE GUY WHO DID THE RUE WHISTLE. :'( when they went for the victory tour, in district 11, after katniss's speech, this guy sang rue's song & they shot him. Stern Smile i was like.. :O i knew theyre evil but killing someone for that? really?

Let's put that on spoiler alert! 

Well, these people kill 23 young kids annually for 'fun.'  I don't find it hard to believe that htey are capable of killing for such a reason.. Besides, that to them symbolizes rebellion and defiance. Both things the Capitol can't stand. 

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 12 February 2012 at 6:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by spiritcrimson

Can we have a Hunger Games forum? Really? I want to know ALL the hunger games fans out there.

Initially, I found the plot too gruesome too. But it's kind of set in the future, you know. And although it's a harsh way, it shows us the evilness of centralizing power in the hands of a single person. In this case, the capitol controls everything the districts do. The concept of Hunger Games is kind of different, which intrigued me. Of course it took me a while to get over the whole 'first person' present tense writing, but once I did, I can say I'm glad I read the book.

It's gripping, and the characters are definitely interesting. And Peeta Mellark, oh god, how I love him! I love this character so so much.
I like Gale too, but I just love Peeta so much more.

The characters are unique, the plot is interesting, and I think it makes for an amazing read. 

It's the only series after HP where the characters have touched me so much!

I completely agree with you!  Many people recommended the series to me for awhile but after reading the synopsis, I just couldn't bring myself to read it. I thought this is just so not something I could read. Then finally I said okay, if so many people like it, then it's worth a try. And so I started reading, and the rest is, as they say, history.

Once you get besides the gruesome concept (which is still hard for me to do), the frequent themes in the book of freedom, respect, love, humanity, liberty are all too identifiable.  

And I loveee Peeta too! Even more than Katniss and Gale, though I like them both as well. I think it was very interested to read the third book when Peeta becomes so anti-himself...  Overall, a big fan of the series!

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 12 February 2012 at 6:43pm | IP Logged

I just think his character is real. We all need someone's help at one point or the other, but that doesn't make us weak.  He's probably one of the most brave characters of the series.  It may be easy to put your life in danger for the person you love and who loves you back but it's courageous still put your life in danger for someone who doesn't return it. It's like what Katniss says at the end.. What makes Gale seem so strong and all is his fire.. kindled with hatred, rage.  Peeta's goodness, sincerity may make him seem weak but he's not.  He's that hope that things will be okay, that no matter how great the losses, one day it'll be okay.  I think Peeta is my most favorite character of the series, much more than Katniss.

well i started hunger games a year back and i was like turning pages after pages to read what happens next in the first of the triology ... i always loved gale over peeta i donno why but i do i cant help it ... and after i have seen the promo with liam hemsworth as gale well i cant think of anything else hahahaha its comeing in march i guess m gonna see it

but i donno why after half of the second book i lost my esence in the series maybe i l go back and rread it but i donno the first book seemeed too perfect too tragic with the small girl dying ... i cant thik beyond that and second book didnt hold the eseence for me ...

Tragic, it is.  Even the third book is so sad and upsetting.  I bought the series a few days ago so kept on reading. The first one is definitely better than the second book, but I couldn't stop reading.  It's kinda my nature.. I've got to know what happens, how it all ends. 

As for Gale, as I mentioned above, I like him, but I love Peeta.  I felt like that in the first book and the feeling only got stronger throughout the rest of the series. 

@Italics- I ditto your thoughts completely on Peeta. People say Peeta is too good to be real, like characters like  him don't actually exist and stuff. I'd say Gale is a little unreal for me, because Gale's strong, brave, and everything. You don't find men who are brave at all points in life, because it's unreal. Peeta's love is adorable. He loved Katniss since a child, and honestly, how many of us have felt like that for someone? A childhood crush turning into love? And that too one sided? I think I relate most to that. And I don't think Peeta was weak every time. For someone so weak, he did manage to get on with the career tributes in the arena and pretend to ally with them just to protect Katniss. Which is a huge risk he took, because if he'd get caught, he'd be killed. He risked everything for a girl who didn't even know he existed until the reaping. He's a brilliantly portrayed character, and that's what makes me love him so much. Gale is okay, but Peeta Mellark is the character I love more than anyone. And I'm just Peeta/Katniss all the way :D "The dandelion in the spring" describes them completely.
Oh and I LOVE Johanna and Finnick too! And Haymitch. Effie is hilarious! :P and I even loved Cinna! 

High five! You're like my THG twin EmbarrassedLOL  Exactly, even when he saved Katniss' life by fighting with Cato.. he was awfully injured, and he knew that was gonna happen but he still put her life before his. He is one strong character.  Even the way he handles Katniss during the second quarter quell when she hears Prim's screams from the mutts.  I can't help loving Peeta and his relationship with Katniss is truly awe worthy. 

I also love the level-headed yet strong minded Cinna.  I respected him even more after knowing in the third book that he had instructed Haymitch not to give Katniss the book until she herself had agreed to be the mockingjay.  

I really can't wait for the movie, I feel like it won't be disappointing. 

spiritcrimson

IF-Sizzlerz

spiritcrimson

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 12 February 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged

Can we have a Hunger Games forum? Really? I want to know ALL the hunger games fans out there.

Initially, I found the plot too gruesome too. But it's kind of set in the future, you know. And although it's a harsh way, it shows us the evilness of centralizing power in the hands of a single person. In this case, the capitol controls everything the districts do. The concept of Hunger Games is kind of different, which intrigued me. Of course it took me a while to get over the whole 'first person' present tense writing, but once I did, I can say I'm glad I read the book.

It's gripping, and the characters are definitely interesting. And Peeta Mellark, oh god, how I love him! I love this character so so much.
I like Gale too, but I just love Peeta so much more.

The characters are unique, the plot is interesting, and I think it makes for an amazing read. 

It's the only series after HP where the characters have touched me so much!

I completely agree with you!  Many people recommended the series to me for awhile but after reading the synopsis, I just couldn't bring myself to read it. I thought this is just so not something I could read. Then finally I said okay, if so many people like it, then it's worth a try. And so I started reading, and the rest is, as they say, history.

Once you get besides the gruesome concept (which is still hard for me to do), the frequent themes in the book of freedom, respect, love, humanity, liberty are all too identifiable.  

And I loveee Peeta too! Even more than Katniss and Gale, though I like them both as well. I think it was very interested to read the third book when Peeta becomes so anti-himself...  Overall, a big fan of the series!
Yes, I saw people post about the hunger games all over tumblr, and at the time I was like, 'what the hell is this series about?' I mean, that time all I knew was, you have to kill to survive. So I was like, wow, that wouldn't be an easy thing to digest.

But then I was sick of being the only one unaware of the series after the movie trailer came out, and I downloaded the e-books and started to read. And man, I can honestly say I wasn't disappointed. And the themes of rebellion, revolution, uprising, freedom, unity, it is all so relate able.  And I think I loved Peeta ever since that 'burnt bread' incident. Idk, I always have this thing for characters that are strong, yet sweet, loving, caring and protective. Peeta is all that. It kind of makes you wish you too had someone like Peeta for you.

I like Gale too, really. And Katniss, of course I like her. But for me, Peeta is the most amazing character ever. 

And the movies will be beyond amazing, because Suzanne herself is writing the screenplay for the trilogy :D

spiritcrimson

IF-Sizzlerz

spiritcrimson

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 13 February 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged

High five! You're like my THG twin EmbarrassedLOL  Exactly, even when he saved Katniss' life by fighting with Cato.. he was awfully injured, and he knew that was gonna happen but he still put her life before his. He is one strong character.  Even the way he handles Katniss during the second quarter quell when she hears Prim's screams from the mutts.  I can't help loving Peeta and his relationship with Katniss is truly awe worthy. 

I also love the level-headed yet strong minded Cinna.  I respected him even more after knowing in the third book that he had instructed Haymitch not to give Katniss the book until she herself had agreed to be the mockingjay.  

I really can't wait for the movie, I feel like it won't be disappointing. 

yes hi5! We both literally have the same thoughts on the series. I remember that time in the arena, when it was just him and Katniss, and the initial decision of two from one district could survive was revoked, Katniss almost instantly had pointed her arrow at Peeta. I mean, like she thought Peeta's love was an act too. And when peeta just drops his weapons, allowing her to kill him so she could go home, I almost cried. How he just doesn't care about his own life, as long as Katniss makes it back alive. Even in the quarter quell, how he gave Katniss that locket, which had a photo of Prim and her mother, and Gale. He was thinking about them, about Katniss, and not about his own family. 

I think it was the perfect ending for Peeta. After being in love with a girl for eleven years, you meet her in the arena where you're both supposed to kill each other, but against all odds, you both survive. Clearly, it was always meant to be for them.

Oh, Cinna! I loved him throughout. I cried during Catching Fire when he was taken away by the capitol and beaten up. And Oh my god, Peeta in Mockingjay! The whole anti-Peeta, my heart had broken for Katniss then!

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 15 February 2012 at 11:02am | IP Logged

Yes, I saw people post about the hunger games all over tumblr, and at the time I was like, 'what the hell is this series about?' I mean, that time all I knew was, you have to kill to survive. So I was like, wow, that wouldn't be an easy thing to digest.

But then I was sick of being the only one unaware of the series after the movie trailer came out, and I downloaded the e-books and started to read. And man, I can honestly say I wasn't disappointed. And the themes of rebellion, revolution, uprising, freedom, unity, it is all so relate able.  And I think I loved Peeta ever since that 'burnt bread' incident. Idk, I always have this thing for characters that are strong, yet sweet, loving, caring and protective. Peeta is all that. It kind of makes you wish you too had someone like Peeta for you.

I like Gale too, really. And Katniss, of course I like her. But for me, Peeta is the most amazing character ever. 

And the movies will be beyond amazing, because Suzanne herself is writing the screenplay for the trilogy :D

Exactly! Peeta is truly the best character of the series.  Sometimes it annoyed me so much to see how much he loved Katinss and how indifferent she was at times. I guess part of the reason is she really didn't know if it was all pretend or reality, but still.. Even in the second book when the Quarter Quell with the existing victors was announced and Katniss goes to Haymitch, he tells her it was easier for Peeta.. he came to him right away to make sure he'll go in with Katniss again to save her. My heart melted right there and then.. and there Katniss was so self absorbed, and there he was still thinking only about her. And then Haymitch said "You know you could live a thousand life times and not deserve him, you know." I thought Bingo! That guy is unbelievable.. any girl's dream.

P.S. I lovee the Peeta-Katniss sig you're using Embarrassed

yes hi5! We both literally have the same thoughts on the series. I remember that time in the arena, when it was just him and Katniss, and the initial decision of two from one district could survive was revoked, Katniss almost instantly had pointed her arrow at Peeta. I mean, like she thought Peeta's love was an act too. And when peeta just drops his weapons, allowing her to kill him so she could go home, I almost cried. How he just doesn't care about his own life, as long as Katniss makes it back alive. Even in the quarter quell, how he gave Katniss that locket, which had a photo of Prim and her mother, and Gale. He was thinking about them, about Katniss, and not about his own family. 

I think it was the perfect ending for Peeta. After being in love with a girl for eleven years, you meet her in the arena where you're both supposed to kill each other, but against all odds, you both survive. Clearly, it was always meant to be for them.

Oh, Cinna! I loved him throughout. I cried during Catching Fire when he was taken away by the capitol and beaten up. And Oh my god, Peeta in Mockingjay! The whole anti-Peeta, my heart had broken for Katniss then!

Yeah!! Katniss was still thinking about herself first when he was only thinking about her.  He loves her so so much that it's unbelievable.  Even Haymitch says he chose to help her because Peeta was so inclined on protecting her, and he thought maybe between the two of them, they can get her home. 

Exactly! I don't know what I would've done if they didn't end up together. They were always meant to be... They found love in a hopeless place, but they did.  I love the ending and the epilogue.

I did feel bad for Katniss during the whole anti-Peeta episode but then again, I feel like she's a bit selfish at times.. she thinks about herself and her family and even Gale first.. I don't know I just felt that he has gone through so much, Katniss should've been more supportive. And Haymitch tells her the same thing.. she's punishing him for what he doesn't have any control over. 

But I loved the real and not real thing.. It was so touching.. especially when Peeta asks her "You're still trying to protect me. Real or not real?" And she says, "yes.. because that's what we do. We protect each other."

I really can't wait to see the movie!! It is going to be amazing because Suzanne is actively involved in the entire thing..!! 

spiritcrimson

IF-Sizzlerz

spiritcrimson

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 16 February 2012 at 1:55am | IP Logged
@Mahi

Katniss only thought about herself. She was really quite selfish. She'd do the things best suited for her interest. She'd think about herself before thinking about anyone else. Not necessarily a bad trait, but I just felt she didn't give Peeta enough. He gave her his everything. He was ready to die for her. And yes, when Haymitch said that, I was like, you couldn't have been more right about that one, Haymitch. 

And yes, that sig! I loooved that part in the book. those cave scenes. Man I will die during the cave scenes in the movie! I like flirtatious Peeta, and adorable Peeta!

If Gale and Katniss would've happened, I probably wouldn't have liked the book too much. Peeta deserved that happy ending. And yeah, the whole anti-peeta thing, she wasn't helping him. And if it was her in Peeta's place, you know how patient and supportive peeta would've been. Katniss should have shown more affection to Peeta. But the 'stay with me' 'always' part touched me the most. And real or not real. that was beautiful. 
the movie's gonna be amazing. I can't wait!

Edited by spiritcrimson - 16 February 2012 at 1:55am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top