Book Talk
Book Talk

India-Forums

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Page 2)

-Mystery- IF-Veteran Member
-Mystery-
-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 28 January 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Tani91

Just started reading the first one because frankly I saw the trailer and I love Jennifer Lawrence and I LOVED it and everyone here in my town (where Jenn is born!!!) is reading them,  so I downloaded and am reading it right now...I'm only on chapter 3 though so I'm not really far into the story but the premise and concept seems great and looks like we have the next Twilight( by that I mean a pop cultural phenomenon and not an abomination to literatureTongue)

LOL   High five on the last statement.. Not a Twilight fan, at all. I'm glad you've started reading it.  It took me forever to get my hands on it, just because the concept was interesting but also too gruesome and inhumane for my liking, but once I picked them up, couldn't stop.. Read the series in less than a week.  Do come back and let us know what you think when you finish. I can't wait for the movie too! Wow, JL is from your town, that's awesome!

Originally posted by _Tabs_

i LOVE them...

my favorite book is the 2nd one..cuz it has a romantic edge to it ...LOL

i especially love peeta..
not sure i will watch the movie though...it might ruin the image of the book i hv in my mind

I can't decide which one I love best.. I liked the first one because it was brilliantly written and so are the others.. I like the second one more after the Quarterly Quell begins. 

And Peeta is my favorite too!! Movies usually disappoint me, but that's mostly when the writers are not involved. These people get the rights and ruin the books. But I've noticed when the writers are involved in writing the screenplay, it's usually okay and sometimes even good. I'm gonna give it a try.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

_Tabs_devashree_hTani91

Tani91 IF-Sizzlerz
Tani91
Tani91

Posted: 28 January 2012 at 11:06pm | IP Logged
Yep JL is from Louisiville which is where I currently reside and last year it was so much fun because she was nominated for an Oscar and everyone here was rooting for her , yep BTW Josh Dallas is from Louisvlle too

Yeah I'm further into the story now, I've been reading on my iPad in the free time and the story is getting interesting, I'm on the part where Katniss and Peeta just got done with the ceremony and they're about to go in the terrace to talk, I'm assuming this is the scene from the trailer where Peeta says "they dont own me" and Katniss says "I can't afford to think like that"

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

devashree_h-Mystery-

-Mystery-
-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 28 January 2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged
That is awesome. I don't actually know much about JL, but from the trailers, she seems good. As for Josh, I loveee him! Especially in OUAT as Prince Charming Day Dreaming

Yup, that's exactly the same scene.  "I'm more than just a piece in their games."  You know I actually like Peeta way more than Katniss.. usually it's the main protagonist that you relate to the most but Katniss sometimes annoys me.. a lot.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

devashree_hspiritcrimson

Tani91 IF-Sizzlerz
Tani91
Tani91

Posted: 28 January 2012 at 11:19pm | IP Logged
Right now I'm indifferent towards Katniss maybe because I have Jenn in my mind playing her and Jenn being the awesome sauce person she is is making me restrict any kind of dislike for KatnissLOL but yeah I don't like or dislike Katniss 

This is the exact reason why I don't like first person point of view, I hate being in one characters mind all the time and the only books I loved it in were Kiterunner and Speak
-Mystery-
-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 28 January 2012 at 11:30pm | IP Logged
Well, I'm not saying Katniss should be disliked, she's an interesting character, but a little too selfish at times.. especially in the 3rd book. I feel like she says all the time that she hates owing people, yet she doesn't do much when she's given a chance to pay the debt.

Anyway, I agree.. The Kiterunner and Speak were great as first person narratives. I feel like it depends on the story and what the author is trying to say.  But frankly, in this case, I think it would have been even better to have chapters with different point of views... of Peeta, Gale, Haymitch especially.
Tani91 IF-Sizzlerz
Tani91
Tani91

Posted: 29 January 2012 at 1:57pm | IP Logged
^Gotcha...as long as she doesnt go on pages and pages describing Peeta's beauty and what not I'm fineLOL

I'll let you know how I find the book as I continue reading it because right now its still in the exposition phase where she's explaining things in Panem and District 12 and everything so I guess the book will get a lot better when the games start

BTW I have watched the trailer like SO many times, I seriously cannot wait for this movie!!

-Mystery-
-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 29 January 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged
Hahaha Oh trust me, that does not happen LOL

Yeah the first part is pretty much setting the stage for the rest of the story to unfold. She's got to explain Panem and the districts and all to make us understand what's happening, and why change is so necessary.  It's interesting once the games start, a little brutal at times :( And especially after a certain announcement. Okay, I won't say anymore Embarrassed

You know I'm so glad I didn't watch the trailer before reading the books. I like to imagine everything the way I want to and then see if my imagination matches up to the movie. And I'm glad after watching the trailer that it does for the most part.  I'm very very excited to watch the movie too, can't wait!!! Like 2 months to go. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Tani91

SagaBerg Newbie
SagaBerg
SagaBerg

Posted: 31 January 2012 at 9:19am | IP Logged
I love these books. There is so much emotion and interesting characters. Can't really choose my favorite. I think this movie will be great. The casting is fantastic. 

Go to top