TOI: Feel together ---MB/MB's thots on the article

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 12 years ago
O-zone 
Feel together! 

Emotions good or bad can be a great comforting factor,especially when shared with others 

Vinita Dawra Nangia TIMES NEWS NETWORK 

THERE is a comfort in emotions that is difficult to deny.And the succour that a sharing of emotions provides is indisputable.If you are happy,your pleasure is intensified when someone shares the happiness with you.If you are unhappy,being able to share the pain with others comfort you.If you are angry,venting your fury within a group helps provide cathartic relief.That is what perhaps leads to flash mobs and anti-corruption protests.
We are better off when experiencing an emotion good or bad rather than when we are indifferent,and so bored with everything.And,the most pleasurable of all emotions is romantic love.Extra-marital relationships are also the result,more often than not,of finding the comfort of emotional attachment beyond home and whats acceptable.
There was a time when we dealt with our conflicting,tumultuous emotional all by ourselves or at most by confessing to a parent,a dear friend or sibling.But today,a generation that has been brought up to believe in individualism and to value themselves,their goals,feelings and idea of right and wrong,sees nothing wrong in hanging its innermost emotions out to dry in public.And social networking sites ensure there is no dirth of such spaces! 
Years ago,when disturbed at my emotional response to a handsome star of the time,I confessed about my mixed feelings to my mother,she told me censoriously,You must learn to control such emotions. For quite some time,I believed I was some kind of an emotional freak and prayed to be infused with purer thoughts and feelings.Today,all you do is sign into a social networking site and find hundreds of others echoing the same feeling.You not only realise that you are no freak,but end up with your feelings reinforced! 
When I stumbled on to actor Mohnish Behls Facebook page,I was amazed at the surge of emotions.Followers of the lead actor from popular television serial Kuch to log kahenge,openly talk of their love for him and how they cannot wait to watch him again,how they worry about him (he is currently missing from home on the show),pray for him and end up advising him on the serial.And Mohnish is no youngster he is a married man with a 20-year-old daughter.
What amazes me is the passion audiences bring to play on a serial that is obviously fictitious! They react to characters as if to real people,and all thoroughly enjoy the interaction.Housewives,professionals,students all bond emotionally on the same page,finding it addictive as is proven by their multiple daily visits to the page.
There is indeed comfort in being part of a group that wallows in emotion.
When I mentioned this obsessive community outpouring to my friend Dr Deepak Raheja,consultant psychiatrist and director,Hope Foundation,he said,It is symbolic of regression.People tend to regress when they are very emotional.They let the conscious mind get synchronised with the heart to experience emotion that brings on a surge of feel-good chemicals.In the past,this state was reserved for a very special person you loved or idolised.Today,people have become frivolous in relationships the resilience,coping strategies and mechanisms that are required to balance emotions have worn out.People are more demanding and want to change their loved one.When that doesnt happen,there is sourness and relationships break. Deprived of gratification and contentment in real relationships,an emotionally immature generation transfers its moodiness and hunger onto idols and stars.People get carried away on a wave of emotion and when they find themselves being part of a like-minded group,high emotions help them bond better with others.This gives them a sense of comfort.They start romanticising about idealistic scenarios seen on screen,believing they can live that life too,even if vicariously.It can be a scary scenario because emotions run fast and furious here and the landscape changes in the blink of an eye;the dwellers of this land hate as quickly and intensely as they love,and they transfer reel emotions into real life as effectively as vice versa.Rather than considered and few,relationships tend to be indiscriminate and many.Rather than being caring and nurturing,they are demanding and destructive both,on reel and in reality.

Mohnish Behl,who acts in Kuch to log kahenge,may be the father of an adult daughter but female fans are serenading him on Facebook 

Hi & a very good after noon...Hope you'll are enjoying your Sunday! I had to do a bit of additional sound dub for Ashim Samanta's film "Yeh Jo Mohabbbat Hai"...So its a partial working Sunday for me! But in my profession, any work is a good thing!!!

About the Times of India article which you'll have referred:

First and foremost, I believe in the The Times of India as a reputable newspaper and subscribe to it my self. In fact, my morning seems incomplete without a quick read of the same... :).

What makes a newspaper or any institution reputable is the consistent philosophy that drives it and the people that contribute to that philosophy and as far as this is concerned, I personally feel TOI is doing an impeccable job.

I was surprised at the mention of this page...honestly, I didn't think this page was 'important' enough for mention in TOI and more so as a reference to highlight the changing times and patterns of lifestyle over the years.

I thought the article was very well written by Vinita Dawra Nangia, more so as she included her own early experiences. I understood the article to be an attempt at throwing light on what I mentioned in my above para ie to highlight the changing times and patterns of lifestyle over the years.

I also believe as mentioned in the article, that Dr Deepak Raheja, Consultant Psychiatrist and Director, Hope Foundation was speaking about certain very extreme situations, where people start believing in the fictitious stories and characters portrayed on television as being 'real' rather than 'reel'. I don't think he was referring specifically to this page or to any particular show.

So lets take the article as a reflection of a viewpoint expressed with regards changing life style patterns rather than anything personal.

All the more important it is for us to keep this page a 'healthy' place to be around and keep in mind always that watching a show on tv or a film, reading a book etc are all works of fiction and are born of the imagination of the writer. In short, we must take tv, films etc for what they are: a healthy form of entertainment and not put too much of our mind energy into these stories to the point that it upsets us, else the entire purpose of being entertained is lost.

Have a great day ahead! :)
Edited by Armu4eva - 12 years ago
thanks tanu
an interesting read on fan psychology, lol
TFS Tanu...that explains a lot of the behaviour we see on his FB page !! :)
Originally posted by shamil

thanks tanu
an interesting read on fan psychology, lol
TFS Tanu...😊
The article was written somedays before ( When ashu was missing )...If it was written after the Dhamaka on Friday , Saturday in FB..😉 ...then we would have known some more interesting facts about fan-phychology...😆 ðŸ˜†
Edited by bhalobasa - 12 years ago
Yes..Its a  Nice Article...
Hi & a very good after noon...Hope you'll are enjoying your Sunday! I had to do a bit of additional sound dub for Ashim Samanta's film "Yeh Jo Mohabbbat Hai"...So its a partial working Sunday for me! But in my profession, any work is a good thing!!!

About the Times of India article which you'll have referred:

First and foremost, I believe in the The Times of India as a reputable newspaper and subscribe to it my self. In fact, my morning seems incomplete without a quick read of the same... :).

What makes a newspaper or any institution reputable is the consistent philosophy that drives it and the people that contribute to that philosophy and as far as this is concerned, I personally feel TOI is doing an impeccable job.

I was surprised at the mention of this page...honestly, I didn't think this page was 'important' enough for mention in TOI and more so as a reference to highlight the changing times and patterns of lifestyle over the years.

I thought the article was very well written by Vinita Dawra Nangia, more so as she included her own early experiences. I understood the article to be an attempt at throwing light on what I mentioned in my above para ie to highlight the changing times and patterns of lifestyle over the years.

I also believe as mentioned in the article, that Dr Deepak Raheja, Consultant Psychiatrist and Director, Hope Foundation was speaking about certain very extreme situations, where people start believing in the fictitious stories and characters portrayed on television as being 'real' rather than 'reel'. I don't think he was referring specifically to this page or to any particular show.

So lets take the article as a reflection of a viewpoint expressed with regards changing life style patterns rather than anything personal.

All the more important it is for us to keep this page a 'healthy' place to be around and keep in mind always that watching a show on tv or a film, reading a book etc are all works of fiction and are born of the imagination of the writer. In short, we must take tv, films etc for what they are: a healthy form of entertainment and not put too much of our mind energy into these stories to the point that it upsets us, else the entire purpose of being entertained is lost.

Have a great day ahead! :)
Edited by Armu4eva - 12 years ago
thanks for sharing tanu , wonder in which year the writer lives in 😆... dont they know ppl are way too attached to show, cry laugh and sympathize with wats shown and when it comes to onscreen or offscreen love affairs they go for throat cutting and pray the onscreen couples turned into offscreen should remain together for ever, like they never prayed for their own exams 😆... the writter should visit IF for a heart attack pleasure 

wasnt interested in reading MB, he had given me enough head aches with his posts on FB